Updates on Guzman, Burnett, Zimmerman

Cristian Guzman has likely played his final game at shortstop this season. Sean Burnett has likely pitched his final game, too.

Both are suffering injuries - Guzman has a sore shoulder, Burnett a bruised hand - and neither appears ready to take their positions in the season's final week.

Guzman's shoulder remains "tender", Manager Jim Riggleman said, and he has not participated in pre-game defensive drills. Guzman can still be used in pinch-hitting situations, but he can hit only for the pitcher due to his defensive limitations. Riggleman has not ruled out shutting Guzman down for the remainder of the season.

"I've talked to the trainer, team doctor, about it," Riggleman said. Guzman "will have something to say about it, too. If he comes in and says, 'Those days off have really helped me, I think I'm fine to go,' then we'll reconsider. But he's going to have to come in and tell me that. I'm not going to put him in at this point of the season if it's going to hurt his arm. We'll further evaluate it, see if the pinch-hitting situation comes up."

Burnett is still suffering from a bone contusion suffered on Aug. 23. It is likely that Burnett will not pitch again this season. The Nationals have enough relievers to last the final week without using Burnett, who will not need surgery but will need rest.

"I doubt if we'll use him," Riggleman said. "It limits us a little a bit because he can be really tough on both lefties and righties. There are some really good left-handed hitters you'd like him to face, and [Ron] Villone is either up or in every night."

Also of note, Ryan Zimmerman received the day off because he's "a little banged up", Riggleman said. There is no serious injury; Zimmerman said he expects to be back in the lineup for Sunday's series finale against the Braves.

By Zach Berman  |  September 26, 2009; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday's Lineups
Next: Lineups From Nats Park

Comments

so paul bunions won't play the field the rest of the season? who'd notice?

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

When will this ever end? When you have to bring in Kensing to stop the bleeding, you know you're in bad shape.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | September 26, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@nervous: Kensing doesn't come into a game to stop the bleeding, he comes in simply to waive the white flag & throw batting practice.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

c'mon coxie, makinhg a pitching change with such a large lead in the bottom of the ninth is just rubbing it in.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Villone seems like a nice guy, but it is time to hang up the spikes.

Posted by: Tom8 | September 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

you know who may be baaaack in a dugout next season. from SI.com's jon heyman....

Acta gets interview; more big names to come for Houston

A person familiar with the Astros' plans says they will interview Manny Acta for their managerial opening. But if the Houston Chronicle's candidate list has any legs, he'll have plenty of company. It's a veritable potpourri of former Astros stars and current Astros coaches and decision-makers.

easy.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Dukes defensive lowlights. Knight thinks he has his mind on other things. A low-to-average hitter with little power with low-to-average defensive. Natstown.

Posted by: Tom8 | September 26, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

This was bad--even for the Nats.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

for the final series, the nats should put a canvas tent over the park and promote it as "natsclowns."

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Another day, another un-attractive Nationals loss. I hope that Riggleman never decides to go to Las Vegas to play - If he does, he'll leave bankrupt & broken.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Villone and MacDougal are overexposed journeymen who probably wouldn't be in the major leagues if not for the Washington Nationals. I don't blame them for what happened in the ninth inning, I blame Riggleman for remaining loyal to retreads who clearly aren't part of the future. Then again, who in the bullpen besides Burnett IS part of the future?

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Well the Braves have clearly shown how far the Nats are from being competitive. Solid pitching and defense with savy hitters who are patient enough to take a walk from marginal pitchers them pound the ball when they put a ball over the plate with subpar stuff. The Nats have a long way to go to get even close to that structure. Too many recycled cast-offs and weak prospects.

Posted by: SackMan | September 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

listening to riggleman on the radio post game sahow all i say say is "dead manager walking." he sees no lack of effort on defense. he says he's not discouraged because his players "haven't quit because i know how hard they're trying." he doesn't like to use the word "frustrated." riggs will better serve this team in the departing than the remaining.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Nationals should just roll out the bottom-line, we're the worst in the majors line-up once before the end of the season -
1- Harris (LF
2- Padilla (RF
3- Orr (3B
4- Morse (1B
5- Maxwell (CF
6- Desmond (2B
7- Gonzalez (SS
8- Burke (CA
9- P) Nobody in their right mind should take the mound in front of that squad.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I know, I'm newposted several times over, but I can't resist. What an image this makes.

************************
Maxwell is an idiot. I was seating with some fiends in their seats in LF. . .
Posted by: JayBeee | September 25, 2009 10:47 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 26, 2009 5:01 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

@surly: Turned off before the post-game - the game was enough for me, thank you. If what you note "...no lack of effort on defense..." is true, Riggleman is toast.

Maxwell looked like a rookie-leaguer in CF last night, and Dukes was less-than sharp in RF this afternoon. Willingham is below-average overall in LF defensively, but an absolute hack in RF.

Effort is fine, if you are playing out of position, but these guys are looking sorry AT THEIR NATURAL POSITIONS! That comes down to either not keeping your head in the game, or just not having the requisite skills.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

BinM

what was even funnier was listening to craig heist literally begging for callers to discuss the traveshamockery that took place earlier. i had the radio on while doing other things and usually don't listen after charlie and dave sign off.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I love Rocket J. Squirrel and fiends, er, friends sec3.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

@sec3: Isn't this team more like "Fractured Fairy Tales" than "Rocky & Bullwinkle"?

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Good point, BinM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

If the radio station were going to do a call-in or e-mail segment, I wish they'd do it pre-game, rather than post-game. The few of us left in the Natosphere are usually so deflated after a game that we can barely type, let alone talk.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey we have hit a all-time low, don't know if anyone has noticed but with the Nats lose today they are now 50, yes 50 games under .500.
So it seems that things in the last five years are only getting worst, wonder if Montreal will take the Nats back.

Posted by: Golfersal | September 26, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT!! Yeah I guess i'll have to eat crow come Monday at my office(after predicting a Nats sweep) here in the A-T-L the good news; the IT guy won't lock me out of my computer one of my co-workers called me during the ninth inning and started laughing didn't say a word just started laughing. Fifty games under .500 man that's enough to make you turn on em but not me i'm in for the long haul and by the way things look that's just what it's going to be.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 26, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Went to the game (why, I had to ask myself), we just got back, did some walking around the mall (hadn't been there for a while/we had decent rain-gear)and ate over at the Old Ebbets Grill (fantastic). I'm really just stunned at how bad this team is. What is really beginning to bother me is the "pump up" drum-beat the FO seems to be is starting with 2010 ticket sales etc. Unless they are ready to trade what tradable parts they have and shell out some awfully big bucks for the few worthwhile FA's out there, I just see another year of retreads, spare-parts and Ryan Zimmerman.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | September 26, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats are going to play the rest of the way like they did today, why don't they just shut everything down, not just Guzman.

Posted by: bromisky | September 26, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

52-102. Kinda makes me feel like the fans of the mid 20th Century also-ran teams like the St. Louis Browns, Philadelphia Phillies and Athletics, Boston Braves, Washington Senators that rejoiced if they could only finish 55-99. This is just horrible.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Golfersal

Absolutely yes. Yes we would. In a heartbeat. Tomorrow.

I miss having a hometown team more than you can imagine. I still wear my Expos cap, and I sit yelling at mlbtv on my computer because I miss it so much. I miss sitting having hotdogs with my Dad at the game, I miss having something to watch when hockey isn't on and I miss rooting local boys. I miss going to three game series and watching Pedro, Fazaro and Carlos Perez pitch.

So this team may drive you nuts but believe me, there's worse!

Posted by: soundbloke | September 26, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats can stay 50 games under and finish 56-106, they'll match the depth of the expansion franchise.

That '63 team had Claude Osteen, who went 9-14, a lefty like Lannan. He won 15 games the next year, even as the Nats lost 100 again. But then Washington turned him into Frank Howard, Pete Richert and Phil Ortega (via trade).

Osteen went on to help the Dodgers win a World Series and had a nice career, but I doubt any Nats fans would have given up having Hondo and two good starters (Richert matched Osteen's 15 wins.)

Reason for hope? Gosh, it's time to grasp for anything.

Posted by: nats24 | September 27, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

well i'm still gonna watch the playoffs this year.

Posted by: longterm | September 27, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I wait all year for the post-season--all good teams, mostly superior baseball, all meaningful games (if that's not an oxymoron). I only skip playoffs when my team gets edged out on the last weekend.

Like another depression, that can't happen here.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 27, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I watched the final innings of the Cardinals/Rockies game last night. It reminded me of what meaningful baseball in September resembles. Let us all long for the day such games are played at Nationals Park.

Posted by: cokedispatch | September 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Where are our keepers? The last post is very stale.

Course yesterday's game rendered me speechless too.

Posted by: longhorn64 | September 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

soundbloke: So this team may drive you nuts but believe me, there's worse!
----
Many of us here know that all too well, even as we complain. But your reminder is well taken. Keep wearing that Expos cap.

Posted by: KenNat | September 27, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Eight games left in the season for the Nationals, and a second straight #1 overall pick is all but assured. I'm actually starting to look forward to the off-season, just to see if Rizzo & company can reshape this roster into something that resembles a Major-League baseball team.

Posted by: BinM | September 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

90 minutes to gametime & not even a lineup post? Chico, Zach, Sheinen, Tracee... Is there anybody out there?

Posted by: BinM | September 27, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

BinM

No lineup today. The Nats decided to literally mail it in this time

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 27, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Somebody's cheatin' on us! Where are the lineups for today's game? We're still playing, right?

Posted by: susandea | September 27, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I gotcher lineups. I gotcher lineups RIGHT HERE

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 27, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

(guess it didn't like my New Post link.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 27, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL ....... Thanks for the lineups! hehehehe !!

Posted by: susandea | September 27, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse