Acta hired by Cleveland

The Cleveland Indians have hired Manny Acta as their manager, according to the Associated Press.

The former Nationals manager signed a three-year contract with a club option for 2013, team spokesman Bart Swain said Sunday. Additional terms were not disclosed.

Acta was fired by the Washington Nationals in July.

The Indians chose him after a second round of interviews over former New York Mets manager Bobby Valentine and Indians Triple-A manager Torey Lovullo. The team also had been expected to interview Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly.

"We are very excited to have Manny Acta on board as our major league manager," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said in a statement. "After speaking with an impressive array of candidates, we feel that Manny is a very strong and experienced leader who possesses great energy and enthusiasm along with tremendous communication skills and a positive mindset that will command a presence in the dugout, clubhouse and with our fans."

By Gene Wang  |  October 25, 2009; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg hit hard in second AFL start
Next: Nationals make more front office moves

Comments

(Reposting)

I wish Manny well in his new life, and I'll be rooting for his team when they aren't playing the Nats (as will my octogenarian aunt, who is a long-time Cleveland fan).

Evidently Acta turned down an offer from the Astros to take this one. It would seem that those who said he'd not sniff another manager job for a long time, if ever, were off base.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

June 11-13 of next year should be interesting... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

(Reposted)
NNNO-OOOoo-ooooo - This is all wrong! Manny was supposed to take the HOU job, allowing Valentine to take the position in CLE, clearing the way for the Nationals to select a Manager, rather than a celebrity.
Crap - now I need to hope that the Lerner's aren't swayed by reputation (& "name value") alone.

BTW, thanks for the new string Gene. What, are all of the baseball writers on hiatus?

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll be curious to see how Manny handles his starting pitchers in a DH-league with deep lineups and high pitch counts. Some of his starters may be pulled after 90 pitches in four innings so they can go out on a "positive note."

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

BinM

I don't think you have to worry about the Nats bringing Bobby Me to town. Bobby Me was making coin of about $4 mil annually in Japan. I don't see the Lerners spending 12-16 mil on a manager when until recently they've been reluctant to spend that much for players.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I was just on the mlb.com Indians site, and the early reaction to the hiring is negative overall; They're even slaying the pick on the mlb.com Astros site. WOW!

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

June 11-13 of next year should be interesting... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | October 25, 2009 4:16 PM |

******************************************

oh crap, that series is AT cleveland. we have to wait three more years to boo manny in person.

BinM

don't discount that manny will probably be one of the lower-paid MLB managers.

Posted by: surly_w | October 25, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

leetee: I hope you're right - Valentine would probably show an uptick of 12-15 games won in 2010, but would probably alienate a lot of people (staff & players) doing it. I personally wanted him to go to CLE, just to remove him from the pool.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

surly: I don't care about his paycheck anymore. I just wanted Valentine off of the "possibles" list for the Nationals (I looked at the numbers, re-thought my position, and I'm back to Valentine = NO).

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Everyone thinks they know about Manny. We'll have to wait and see. But I think he will prove all the negative critics wrong. Think Joe Torre. We'll see what he does with a competent GM who puts a good team together. The reason Manny didn't work out here is Jim Bowden.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | October 25, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

big_game: I think that the ultimate reason Acta didn't work out here is that his was too dispassionate; He didn't stand up for the players' on the field, and held too strongly to pitch counts with his starters & inning alignments (MI-setup-closer) with his bullpen.

If he can regain a little passion for the game, and learn how to manage "outside the sabremetrics" a little, he might become a decent ML Manager.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy Manny Acta.

Posted by: jfromPG | October 25, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Manny is free to be great in Cleveland. I personally still think that Valentine would be great for he Nats. He would be temporary, but bring them up in the world to a respectable or even winning position before wearing out his welcome. He would create buzz around the team, and not all negative as with Bowden.

After all, several teams were/are considering Valentine, but nobody was looking at Bowden before MLB gave him to DC.

I would prefer Valentine over Mattingly or especially Riggleman.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 25, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

big_game: When I think of Joe Torre, I think of a Manager who had something & did little or nothing (NYM, ATL, StL), or had everything & did something (NYY & LAD).

Is the current situation in CLE anything like what Torre stepped into with the NYY? Not even close, in my mind; Acta is already behind the 8-ball, but at least he gets another chance.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I was wrong....Acta got a job right away....but given that Cleveland just had a fire sale on MLB talent I am not sure Indians plan to win any time soon. They may well have looked at the Lerner model of low pay high profit and liked what they see.....Having lived in CLE years ago during the empty seat time of the late 70's........it is going to be very ugly if Acta thinks he has time to teach and preach in Cleveland. Pulling pitchers in the 4th inning so they can leave with a lead is not going to make Indian fans happy at all.

Posted by: JayBeee | October 25, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

+1/2St: Agree to disagree on Managerial choices. I'd still take Riggleman, Foli, Brenly, or their ilk on a 2-year deal w/options over Valentine, Melvin, Mattingly, Showalter or nearly anyone else at this point.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

From the prior string:
Other:
Mike MacDougal rhp 5.143 ($3.75M club option ($0.35M buyout)) - for that, I would say no.
Posted by: nervousnatsfan | October 25, 2009 3:32 PM
-------------------------

nervousnatsfan: I believe the numbers you quote are from MacDougal's contract with the CWS - That was voided when he was released. The Nationals signed him for the remainder of the season at ML-minimum, but he is eligible for arbitration.
The Nationals will need a closer in 2010, regardless of who it is. I think they tender MacDougal, and wait for Storen to take the final step.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Now why would the Indians want a .350 ball club for???

Posted by: charley42 | October 25, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Acta to Cleveland means that Donnie Baseball has only one place to go if he really wants to manage now, like Boswell says he does. That place is DC. Houston, you have a problem.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 25, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Manny, good luck for all but three games next year.

Posted by: Section506 | October 25, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats jettison JR, I wonder if he'll end up in Cleveland as Mannys bench coach once again? With a little reflection of what he did not do right in DC, Manny might work out up in tribe country. It will be interesting to watch how it all pans out.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

:) Happy for him. Good luck to him, except when the Indians play the Nats. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Acta is not a good manager. With that said, BRING DONNIE BASEBALL TO DC! Donnie Baseball Clap Clap Clap!

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 25, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, Byron Kerr has your AFL preview for the week on the MASN site:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how Cleveland likes Tim Tolman costing them 25 outs at the plate next year.

Posted by: JayBeee | October 25, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Manny will do well in Cleveland. Good luck to him.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 25, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

@BinM:
You're probably right. In that case, I think I would offer him arbitration (even though I'm not a huge fan, and he'll probably get $3 million) to take off the pressure to rush Storen to the majors. I'm hoping $3 million won't break the bank this year...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | October 25, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Things that will never go through Manny's mind a again.

"Hmm, man we need to get this guy out. Villone or Tavarez? Decisions decisions..."

Or

"We need to get this guy home. Who pinch hits? Kasto or Kearns. Choices, choices..."

Posted by: soundbloke | October 25, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I really hope we at least give Rigs an interview. He is the right guy to cultivate the young talent.

DM is not leaving LA. Joe T brought him in as the heir apparent and there is no way they will let him go. Besides, the Dodgers job is his in two years. Perennial playoff team with a limitless payroll vs. the Nats job. Hmmm, tough choice.

Posted by: RayKnightIsMyHero | October 25, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

If you believe Boswell (always a big if) Donnie Baseball is not content to wait for Torre to retire. He wants to manage NOW. If he gets an offer to manage in Washington or elsewhere, the only way the Dodgers could trump that would be to offer him the manager job in LA. But that job's not available til 2011. Torre has it for next year.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 25, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Mistake by the Lake: Part II

Posted by: Batboy05 | October 25, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Manny!!! Best wishes and Good Luck.

The Indians are rebuilding around Sizemore, Choo, and others, but the emphasis is on rebuilding. They are a better team than the Nationals were in 2007 but they are likely to struggle. Hope they don't blame the manager. It will be interesting to see how the Indians perform coming out of the gate. Manny's teams in DC stumbled.

I was ready for Manny to go by the end of May. The team was passion-less. A lack of talent on the pitching staff was further complicated by poor handling. If he was working on teaching, it was not proven on the field.

Riggleman is my current favorite, but I can't say that I think Valentine, Mattingly, or Foli would be a mistake. All are legitimate.

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 25, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

BinM-

Do you think Tim Foli is really in contention? I suppose he spent enough time with the Syracuse players who spent time in DC, and he has the deep history with the franchise.

Do you know what kind of personality he brings to the job?

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 25, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if anyone saw this?

WASHINGTON -- Washington Nationals closer Mike MacDougal had arthroscopic surgery on his right hip Tuesday and is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.

MacDougal is scheduled to begin a throwing program within about two months.

He finished 2009 with 20 saves, a 1-1 record and a 3.60 ERA for Washington.

The right-hander was released by the Chicago White Sox in April, signed to a minor league deal by the Nationals in early May and in the majors by the end of that month.

Posted by: periculum | October 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

bwaaaaahahahaha. I feel bad for Tribe fans.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | October 25, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not an Acta fan, but at least he gets a 3-year contract and not the shabby treatment he got from the Lerners/StanK (a one-year deal). That helps.

Posted by: paulkp | October 25, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Acta got a two year deal from the Nationals, with two team option years. They picked up the first option (for 2009) at the end of the 2007 season. So 2009 was the first year he managed here where he did not have a guarantee for the following year.

But really, should we be at all surprised that Acta had two job offers to choose from while Riggleman remains sitting by the phone waiting for a call?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 25, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

steve phillips is available...

Posted by: formerlylove1 | October 25, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Gotta wish Manny the best. A little experience in the 2nd time round.

Posted by: nattydread1 | October 26, 2009 3:17 AM | Report abuse

I just wanted to add that I'm also amused by the fact that so many posters suggested Manny would never get another job. Instead he goes to the Indians with a longer contract. Of course, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting fo anyone to admit they were wrong.

Posted by: grforbes | October 26, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse

@Grforbes.... you must have missed my comment above...but for you....again...I was wrong about Acta's chances going forward to get a new job.....It is interesting that they offers came from two teams that seem to be falling like rocks....are their two worse GM's in baseball right now?

Posted by: JayBeee | October 26, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

What a laugh. Did someone really compare him to Joe Torre? Think Gar Heard. Guess he really blows 'em away in interviews. BTW, Acta never had a one year contract. Who are you people and where do you come up with these things?

Posted by: truke | October 26, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Remember the Indians traded two Cy Young winners for squat. The writers of self-help books are drooling. Player development in Cleveland just ended -- practice -- why practice? Just read a book about how to make your life meaningful!! At least Manny won't have to wonder what the double-switch is any more.

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | October 26, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Dark, dark day for Tribe Nation. Let's hope their franchise can get through this somehow.

Posted by: RickFelt | October 26, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Like Cleveland did not have enough problems. Chalk hiring Manny Acta up there with burning river and decimation of the steel industry.

Posted by: dfh21 | October 26, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

All the best Manny.

Posted by: rvrtis | October 26, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I wish Manny nothing but the best. Good luck hermano!

Posted by: FloresFan | October 26, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

The interest in the departed Acta is, well, interesting, and I admit to following the story. I'll also admit that I'm not really sure what I think.

I never thought Acta was as bad as some claim, but I do not buy the free pass he gets from media analysts, who assert that Acta had "no talent" to work with in Washington.

We know the Nats need (a lot) more talent, but there has been enough for results better than we have seen. I liked Boswell's description -- that he had never seen a team that was so much less than the sum of its parts. That's a reflection on the manager, and maybe the front office.

By most acounts, Acta is a great guy, so hopefully he can do more with the parts in Cleveland. If he does, we'll be left to wonder why the heck he couldn't do it here.

Posted by: KenNat | October 26, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm flabergasted that he got another shot so quickly. I never hated the guy but, I got very flustered with his lack of fire. The NY Mets series at Citifield with the BS HR calls was the last straw for me.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 26, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Manny. I always liked his low-key style and smarts. Haven't been on much, no interest in either the Phillies or the Yanks, but dutifully watching the games...

Hello to all.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 26, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Hi back, NatsLady. Missed you!

I don't have any interest in those two teams, either (actually, more like a disdain for both). I've watched some but not all of the division and championship series games (those late starts just do me in). For me, the Twins-Tigers tie-breaker still stands as the most compelling matchup. Some years ago when the WS featured the White Sox and Astros, I wondered at my Chicago baseball buddy saying that she couldn't watch it. Hey, it's baseball! Now I have an inkling of how she felt. Plus, with some in the media crowing about how the ratings are up with the Yanks in the postseason again, I'm not sure how much I want to help that watch-o-meter inch up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of how anyone feels about either the Phillies or the Yanks, there is going to be some GOOD BASEBALL played this week.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

from buster olney: "Manny Acta's teams in Washington were some of the worst in the majors over the last couple of seasons, but a bidding war still broke out for his services. The Astros offered Acta a two-year deal, the Indians offered a three-year deal, and Acta went to Cleveland."

Posted by: sec231 | October 26, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

oh, and btw, also from olney's blog: zimmerman is the web gem champion this season (which should really be its own NJ posting).

He'll be on ESPN2 tonight during the skins game (figures).

==========

The Web Gem Awards show will air at 8:30 ET Monday on ESPN2, with special guest, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman. This was our first year tracking Web Gem Points on a daily basis, and you'll see the results of that work on this show. Zimmerman was our first Web Gem champion. As Mark Simon of ESPN Research notes:

• 309 different players made at least 1 Web Gem in 2009.

• Every team made at least 15 Web Gems this season.

• We awarded a total of 776 Web Gems and 2,357 Web Gem points (5 for No. 1 gem, 1 pt for a No. 5 Gem).

Zimmerman's championship confirms some of the work done by the company Baseball Info Solutions, which charted every defensive play in 2009. According to their work, Zimmerman ranked second in the majors in what they term "Good Fielding Plays." Who ranked No. 1? Albert Pujols.

Posted by: sec231 | October 26, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

funny, 1a. We posted on the same topic at the same time. Different opinions, though. heh, heh.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Web Gems info, 231. I agree that it merits its own post. (hellooo out theeere...)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I guess that we owe each other a coke, NatsNut. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Acta TidBits and other thoughts;

According to AP reports Clevelands decision to hire Acta was based on this; "Acta wanted it bad,after he was let go by the Nationals Acta claimed to have spent countless hours watching Cleveland Indians games on MLB Extra Innings. He studied thier lineup, thier strengths, and weaknesses".

Come on folks how did the Mr. Stoneface know that Wedge was doomed in July! This is the kind of crapola that just plays these retreads up and in reality the situation in Cleveland is no better then in say 20 other ML cities, low budgets, a plethora of question marks and if all the stars align maybe we'll be over .500!

Another reason why the Nats will never get any respect in this town by the local sprots media; last night on WUSA Channel 9 Sunday night sports show, the lady with the big white chompers and blond hair was gracious enough during the 30 minute B&G love fest to tell us that Manny Acta has a new job as the manager of the Cleveland Indians, in her next breath she blurts out, good for Acta, now lest see what he can do with a "real" baseball team! Unbelievable!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 26, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I will admit that I too was surprised by the ardent courtship of Manny & his quick rehiring. To my mind, it just confirms the impression that no one, including so-called baseball insiders, was really following the Nats in 2009 outside the "diehard 9,000." Also confiirms that Manny is the most articulate and interviews the best of all the candidates. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall, though, to hear how he explained the 26-61 start.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | October 26, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The 26-61 start was almost but not entirely due to the bullpen Acta was given to work with. Give Riggleman that bullpen and take away Nyjer Morgan, and his record would be just as bad if not worse.

Posted by: section309 | October 26, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KenNat

I am. BWHAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA
They'll be about halfway through the season before the whole city realizes he's a fee-simple moron. 'Stoic' will be replaced by 'stupid'. 'Unconventional' will be replaced by 'head scratching'. 'Nice guy' will be replaced by 'a manager with no balls who throws his players under the bus'. 'Rebuilding' will be replaced by 'going backward'. The media will keep asking questions, and at some point they'll realize he doesn't have any answers, and every press conference will be identical. The team will be lousy and undisciplined, at bat and in the field (sound familiar?), and they'll ask him what they need to do to get better, and it will be some variation of 'the players need to play better'. No discernable effort put in by the manager will be noted.

Then the rot will set in once they realize what driftwood this clown is. Just like it did here the second and third years. Living in Cleveland should be enough punishment, but now they've got the cancer in the dugout. I mean, didn't the Indians trade away half their team that went to the playoffs? That should tell you who's running them.

Posted by: Brue | October 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to take the high road and wish Manny the best in Cleveland.

However.... I cannot see how this will turn out any different for him - unless he has learned his lessons. His lack of fire, his unwillingness to stand up for his players and dispute even the occasional call really hurt him as a manager. I also think that his failure to hold players accountable hurt him as much or more than anything else.

Posted by: comish4lif | October 26, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Section309,

You're very quick to come to Manny's defense--very commendable. But maybe you didn't realize I was actually praising him: it takes real skill in a job interview to explain disastrous results without too obviously throwing everybody else associated with the endeavor under the bus. Poor Riggleman, I'm sure, wouldn't be able to pull it off quite so neatly.

Just wondering: Manny never accepted any of the responsibility for the debacle while he was here. (Note I'm not asking him to accept all; just some.) Wonder if he did during the interview? Wonder what he told the Indians he learned from the experience.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | October 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit that I was wrong. I assumed and so said, that Manny would not be hired, as a manager, for at least a couple of years. Mea Culpa. Of course Manny was hired and sought after. He has, now, had one go around as a manager, and theoretically, has learned much. He won't make the same mistakes. Or so C/W goes. Also, he is not the expectations raiser that B.V. is. So, a team can just keep going down whatever path was set, without a great deal of pressure. I wish him the best of luck, but would be very surprised if he is around, in Cleveland to open the 2013 season.

As far as Mattingly's theoretical commitment to L.A., let's remember that, while Torre says that he is just going to be there for one more year, if the Dodgers should happen to get just one step closer in '10 than they did in '09 and Torre thinks that they are maybe just one piece away from winning it all, he won't be able to resist the temptation. OTOH, despite what RKMH says, the money in L.A. is not only not bottomless, it may disappear altogether or may be in limbo for a while. The owner(s) are getting a divorce. You never know whose money is whose, or how it will be split up, or what needs to be done to provide the legally appropriate solution. In other words, a very unstable situation.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | October 26, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------
and more than likely some more horrendous umpiring.

Posted by: twinbrook | October 26, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't know that it's been officially announced to date, but ESPN says that, due to division and championship series issues, MLB will go with veteran umps only for the World Series.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For clarity's sake, I should have worded that "only veteran umps."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I certainly hope that the Phillies play better than the Twins and Angels did. Those two teams made uncharacteristic errors and mental mistakes against NY. I want to see a team play up to its potential.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

poncedeleroy: I want to see a team play up to its potential.
----
Usually, I'd agree, but I'd prefer to see the Yankees play way below their potential.

Posted by: KenNat | October 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From the Baseball Life after the World Series Department, according to a piece about an AFL strikeouts promotion, MLB Network will air the Rising Stars Game on November 7. It starts at 6:15 p.m. MST, which I think will equate to 8:15 in our neck of the woods (after Dailight Savings Time kicks in - it gets late early out there).

Speaking of MLB Network shows, it's nice that they are airing a program about man caves and all, but is there no love for female fan's humble basement sports lair? :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, link for the strikeouts promotion piece:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I think there is a very real argument that any choice you make with the Nat's roster is wrong. It effected Acta badly. As for not sticking up for his players, so many calls went against him that to yell and scream every time would have left him looking like a clown.

Acta may well be very good or very bad but, you'd find out while he was still with the Nat's, and it is worth noting that his record was very similar to Rigglemans record in games in which Morgan didn't play.

Posted by: soundbloke | October 26, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Sec231 for the news that there'll be a Web Gems special featuring Zimm tonight. That should be a lot more fun to watch than the football game.

(And, I concur, this news is worthy of a new post.)

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 26, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 1:07 PM

-------------------------

Gracias, natsfan1a1; I land in Phoenix at 5:50 that afternoon. I wonder how quickly I can pick up a rental car and get to the ballpark.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 26, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Manny and the Tribe. So long as his intersets don't conflict with ours...

Manny was a nice guy - "super-fantastic" in his own words. But I wish we when Manny wa here he even closely resembled the Manny they hired: "Manny is a very strong and experienced leader who possesses great energy and enthusiasm along with tremendous communication skills and a positive mindset that will command a presence in the dugout, clubhouse and with our fans." I don't remember that Manny at all.

Posted by: alm1000 | October 26, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda puzzled about all the good vibes about Acta. I don't hate the guy, but what did he do for us? Why the Indians hired him is bizarre. As others have said, he must a great interview.

I'm uneasy about the idea of Donny Baseball getting the Nats job. If he does, I'll hope for the best.

and @mikecatcher50: You do know that 565 distance for the Mantle homer is a total myth, right? But it's still surprising none of your young guys heard of it.

Posted by: nats24 | October 26, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, Gregg. Have fun!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

For those that believe Acta was not given the tools to succeed here, let's not forget that he started both Milledge and Kearns over Willingham coming out of spring training. He has a 'positive' outlook because he ignores the negatives.

I have little doubt that whoever we hire will be a better manager than Acta. I also appreciate that the Nats are conducting their search in private. The Astros look like fools today, don't they?

Posted by: sec307 | October 26, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Now just let me say that i damn near rear ended the car pool in front of me on 285(A-T-L) when i heard Manny Acta was hired to manage Cleland as Richard Pryor used to say, but even more shocking and downright crazy is Mark McGwire getting hired as St.Louis hitting coach Jesus!! who did Hal McRae piss off because hiring McGwire is straight out of left field. I know one thing Barry Bonds will never work in MLB ever! Now all that has to happen is the Redskins beating the Eagles and i ain't comming out of my house tommorow.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 26, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I was outraged that Acta was hired so quickly and in such demand. I like Manny Acta, but really, so many of his decisions adversely affected the team -- Hanrahan as closer, Milledge leadoff and starting in CF, benching Willingham for Kearns or Willie Harris, Anderson Hernandez, etc. etc. And for him to not be held accountable for his part in winning only 26 games at the all star break is galling.

Posted by: raymitten | October 26, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I still have a little memory of 2007, and what Manny did with that team. He was a youthful breath of fresh air that seemed destined to grow with the team.

Those guys were predicted to lose 120 right out of the gae. He had that piecemeal bunch of rag tags playing hard until the bitter end.

My thought is that Manny got a little too defensive with the media and lost his focus. It was like he was digging in his heals and whatever the media questioned him about, he'd dig in even more.

I hope the lesson he learned here was that he may need to make adjustments in his own philosophies and techniques from time-to-time, just like players do in games, seasons and even careers.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked he got a new head job so soon. After the Nats fired him, they played better, that is not great for Manny. In addition, the guy refuses to run into an out, so he doesn't steal or hit and run, things needed on young teams.

I thought he would end up back in NY as the Mets 3rd base coach and then get a chance if their manager got fired.

I wish him well. He must interview great.

Posted by: tcostant | October 26, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

i often wondered how much of his own man manny was and how much of what he did was proscribed by the front office (i.e., bowden). don't really know, and he denied it when it was asked, but really some of his moves last year seemed like they were more bowden kinds of moves than what i would have expected after his first season.

Posted by: sec231 | October 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is that commercial with the guy yelling "StubHub!" really getting old? For a while the "All You Need is Love" commercial was in the media player rotation on the team site, but now it's back to "StubHub!" Cringe...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I suppose that could be a seen as a sign that we really, really need a new post...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Rizzo will pick the right guy for the Nats. It was interesting watching the angels throw everything away on a pitcher's throwing error! Shades of the Nats this past year!

Posted by: periculum | October 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Svrluga posted every day. Sometimes more. Even in the offseason.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but between 9/30 and 10/25, Barry missed only 3 days. Chico has missed 8, once going three days in a row without a post. And most of his posts have been three-day old news. plbfflffphplblfphfff.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

And then, of course, there was the little matter of the ice cream that Barry bought for us after every game. In those cute little batting helmets. Those were the days... :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: You'd think one of the sportswriters (or an intern, for that matter) could at least give us updates on Nationals players in the AFL, the D.R. & VEN Winter Leagues.
Speaking of which, the Desert Dogs lead the Mesa SolarSox 5-4 in the bottom of the 6th. Espinosa is at SS, and Marrero is DH'ing.

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who misses Manny, can drive over to Baltimore in May when the Indians visit the borioles whilst the Nats are in Colorado. Go to Cleveland.com and you can get a sense of how Tribe fans and newshounds are assessing the hire of MA.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Acta Dissed by former MLB manager;

Anyone catch Kevin Kennedy today around the 3PM hour on XM-175 MLB Homplate talking about Manny Acta?

Although Kennedy aint't at the top of my list of "nice guys" he was critical of the Tribes choice of Acta. Kennedy said based on what he saw/happened in DC, talking w/sources including someone we all know (RD), what was Cleveland management thinking?

Best quote: unless the Indians plan on losing for the next few years they could have done a lot better and Acta must be one hell of an interview. hhhhhhhaaaahha!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 26, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Final just in from AZ - SolarSox 5, Desert Dogs 9. This is one of the weirdest box scores i've looked at in a while - Mesa outhit Phoenix 14-7, and stole 5 bases, but Phoenix played Longball (2 triples, a 3-run HR & a walk-off Grand Slam) for the win.

Storen blew the save in the 9th, but picks up the win; 1.0IP, 2H, 1ER, BS-1, W(1-0).
Espinosa finishes the day 0/3, 1BB, 2SO, 1RS, and Marrero goes 0/4 with 1SO.

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Tippy

actually, it wouldn't break my heart to have kennedy as a candidate for the nationals job. he's been a minor-league manager, major-league coach under F. Robby, major-league manager (won AL East in '95), and a farm director. seems pretty well-rounded and we know he can handle the media part of the job.

Posted by: surly_w | October 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

On a sorry note to baseball fans, Joe Niekro passed away on Friday, October 23, 2009; He apparently suffered a brain aneurism earlier in the week. He was 61.

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I just went on Cleveland.com. Saw the Plain Dealer video comment on the hiring. Be thankful for the WaPo. This guy was totally lost. He couldn't even pronounce Acta's name. He had no clue about what Manny had done bad or good. He's had 24 hours to gather info. And, in a related note...

@Nats24 Of course the 565 is probably a myth but most of those numbers are. Also, the homer was hit in what is almost a pre-historic time. Remember that Boz actually sneaked into RFK to measure the distances and found that they were way off. Somehow I don't think that the guy from the Plain Dealer would even bother.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | October 26, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

BinM, perhaps you're aware of this already, but the AFL strikeout promotion I mentioned earlier is a fundraiser for the Joe Niekro Foundation. I believe that this will be the third anniversary of his passing.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

That was an interesting box. Also notable:

Mesa's team RISP was 4 for 17 (Phoenix was 3 for 5)

Mesa stranded 9 runners (Phoenix left 2)

Speaking of the D-Dogs, Byron Kerr has a Q&A with Wilkie on the MASN site, and you can post questions for future interviews.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 26, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

1a1: I apparently grossly misread the feature; my humble apologies for the mis-representation.
-----------------------

surly: As Tippy hinted at in his post, KK was known to be somewhat "prickly" in his dealings with the press, players & team Management. There are reasons some seemingly qualified individuals don't get asked back into the club (ref: Valentine, Bobby).

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why StL would replace Hal McRae with Mark McGwire as hitting coach? If the team felt that McRae wasn't doing a good job coaching the players coming up onto the roster, then I could see letting him go; But McGwire as a replacement - WTF?

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

My equivalent for replacing McRae with McGwire in StL would be the Nationals tanking R.Epstein for Frank Howard or Adam Dunn in WSH. Replacing a coach who might offer something to almost everyone on the roster (McRae / Epstein) for an amazing human specimen, but a historically dead pull-hitter (McGwire / Howard / Dunn). I. just. don't. get. it.

Posted by: BinM | October 26, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

RD?

*************

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 26, 2009 6:21 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Rob Dibble, NN

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | October 26, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

BinM-

Thanks for the Niekro news. That is a loss. He always gave me pleasure, even as a rival.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh. I shouldn't just go to see what BinM said. No wonder I didn't see it, if it is very old news.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 26, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

anyone see this yet?

Hope that means we're getting Riggleman back. Or it could be Mattingly posturing too.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 26, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, Manny Acta is one very impressive interviewee. That's how he got the DC job, too.

Posted by: fischy | October 26, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

anyone catch zim co-hosting the webgem award show? he was very good, they loved the t.plush pete franchise stuff, i would expect to hear it next year on bbtonite

Posted by: formerlylove1 | October 26, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I personally didn't have anything against Manny. Its difficult to tell is it the Manager or the pieces he has to work with? Although, there were times when he didn't manage the Pitching to my liking. I AM curious as to how he will handle the American League where there are no double swithes.

As for Niekro, RIP and condolences to his family. As I recall, he was always in Cooperstown for induction ceremonies and fantasy camps and such. Seemed like a great guy with a sense of humor!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | October 26, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

CALSGR8, I don't remember ever seeing Joe Niekro in Cooperstown before he passed away in 2006, but his brother Phil is a regular -- and a member of the Hall. Phil is "a great guy with a sense of humor" as well; must run in the family?

I also watched the ESPN Web Gem awards; Zimm was as loose and relaxed as I've ever seen him in front of a camera or a microphone. And he and John Kruk could do a comedy routine.

And who'd have thought that the Nats would win ESPN's team Web Gem award for most Web Gems during the season?

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 26, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The Web Gem awards were great - it was nice to see Zim bring home some hardware (and a pennant!) for himself and the team. Too bad about the inverse correlation between record and Web Gem team ranking...

Ryan did very well on his feet (post-playing career option, for sure), and had a good time giving his former teammate Mark Reynolds some grief on the call-in interview. For our team, however, I thought that the most interesting part was how he conceded (only after being prodded) that a large part of why he was in so many Web Gems was the fact that our young pitchers consistently missed their spots. That aside, he made sure to reinforce an optimistic view of the future in terms of the young guys growing together, and refused to be baited when Ravech dropped the "you could use a manager right now" line right at the end.

Also, gregg and love, that was hilarious that T. Plush and Peter Franchise made the air. You could tell that Zimmerman believes that Nyjer really sparked the team in the clubhouse and on the field... and I hope that T. Plush and Peter Franchise make the calls during Baseball Tonight next season.

Finally... where the heck did the "Z-pack" nickname for Ryan come from? Ravech dropped that at the beginning of the show and kept using it throughout, and I'd never heard it before.

Posted by: faNATic | October 26, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

faNATic, "Z-pac" is a new nickname to me, too. (Don't ask me why, but I have a feeling it's not spelled with a "k".)

I was a little surprised that the Baseball Tonight crew weren't familiar with at least the concept of Tony Plush and Morgan's giving his teammates noms de baseball; that's such a great story angle.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 27, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Web Gem awards, too. I also thought that Zimm did very well. Was surprised that they didn't know the story of T. Plush (as well as with the Z-Pack nickname - what's up with that?). My favorite part was when Ryan accepted the team award and said now they'd be the team that everyone else was gunning for (I'm pretty sure that was snark, folks).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

And did you notice how they remarked that they'd been accused of not giving the Nats enough Web Gem love in the past? Okay, fess up. Who complained? :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Zimm's up for a This Year in Baseball award in the defense category:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow, almost a whole hour of Nats on ESPN(2) last night. Somebody call the Post. For that matter, tell the Nats -- they might want to mention it on the website.

It's telling that Ravech was clueless about "Tony Plush," but credit for the positive coverage.

I was ready to rip them for ignoring Maxwell's great catch in center (I really thought they would), but they featured it big time.

But if they give big points for planting your face in a chain link fence (I think that's how Kruk put it), how about Dukes' game ending catch vs. the Mets?

Posted by: KenNat | October 27, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Here's one for all the Acta haters out there. (And we know you're out there.) Acta will not be able to wear his usual #14 with the Indians because it is the retired number of Larry Doby, the first black player in the history of the AL. So he has chosen to wear #11, since his birthday is January 11th. But who has been wearing that number on the Indians, whose number is he stealing? None other than Jamey Carroll. Yet another reason to hate Acta, no?

Posted by: section309 | October 27, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I want to know where the Post is about reporting on the Nats manager search. We haven't heard anything. Have they talked with Mattingly etc. What is going on? It be nice if the reporters that covered the nats could do some research and make some calls and try and find out the what is happening. Even if nothing is happening that is news because it probably means that Riggleman is the guy.

Posted by: brothbart | October 27, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I watched the video of the Indians announcing Manny. I love Manny and wish him well, but it kind of creeped me out because he said a lot of the same things, using the same language, that he said when he came to the Nats.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 27, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

And if anyone knows how I might see the Web Gem thingy after the fact, I'm all ears. I'm REALLY bummed I missed it.

Zimm's usually a cliche machine when he speaks (or writes) to the public, so if he actually did well, I'd like to see it.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

S. 309, who's to say that he didn't select #11 in anticipation of this year's Gold Glove selection at the hot corner? ;-) Also, isn't Carroll a free agent this year? Go get 'em, Jamey. Ka-ching! Agree that the Nats missed the promotional boat (yet again).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if maybe they aren't allowed to promote another sports channel, now that mlb tv is up.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 27, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut, you're not the only friend I've heard say that. I've sent an e-mail to ESPN asking about plans to rebroadcast or to post the Web Gem Awards Show online and I'll forward whatever reply I get from the network to Nats Journal.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 27, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

hmmm...good thinking, NatsNut and Gregg.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. Thanks Gregg.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 27, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I found a couple of listings for ESPN America (Oct. 28 at 2100 and Oct. 30 at 0630):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, duh. That's for viewers in other countries. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

hello stepchildren... can we have a new post here?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 27, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"S. 309, who's to say that he didn't select #11 in anticipation of this year's Gold Glove selection at the hot corner? ;-)"

Because the Indians mlb.com article specifically says he chose it for January 11th, that's why.

Posted by: section309 | October 27, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Um, yeah, that was a joke.

ANYway, here's a pic of Zimmerman with his hardware:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

How about Acta comparing himself to a younf managerial Joe Torre?! Add arrogant to the list of Manny adjectives.

And Acta's great success handling young players with the Nats should bode well for the Tribe, I am sure of it. Errrrr, yeah, something like that.

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

did he actually compare himself to joe torre? or did he just list torre as a manager who did poorly at his first couple of managerial jobs as an example of how some managers don't succeed in their first stop(s)?

methinks you read into that what you wanted so you could harp on him for it. "arrogant" is not a word most would use to describe acta. in fact, i think some of his detractors around here would have preferred if he had been more arrogant as manager here.

Posted by: sec231 | October 27, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough. Acta said: "If you give people the opportunity to chose between Joe Torre after his first three years with the Mets or Joe Torre now, I believe everyone would pick Joe Torre now. Not everybody who is a big shot now was a big shot when they started. Big shots are little shots who keep shooting. I'm willing to keep shooting until I become a big shot."
Maybe that is not comparing himself to Torre, but if not it is damn close. No?

I do think that guy was arrogant. He had zero flexibility, zero intention on ever adjusting himself to the situation at hand. He rolled anyone and everyone under the bus for the club's troubles and had a tough time taking blame -- how could HIS philosophical approach or his actual moves be worng? He may end up being very successful someplace else, maybe even in Cleveland, and I do not spite him that success if it happens. He'll live, he'll learn. But I am not going to bet the farm on Acta becoming Joe Torre any time soon -- he can shoot all he wants.

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

What I want is a manager who compares himself to Dusty Baker!

Posted by: Section506 | October 27, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Watch the Z-Man on the awards show too last night, his is one tall dude! Great yukes, to bad the WAPO was to busy with "other things" to notice. Actually I stood next to him last year during fan-fest (Cold January Sunday at Nats Park-remember) and he makes me feel like a dwarf.

Gotta luv the TP reference and all that. So me being the jerk that I am, sent a text message to the Junkies this AM and asked them if they planned to have Tony Plush or the ESPN Web Gems winner on the show anytime soon.

Response: Who is Tony Plush?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 27, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Nats' former brain trust, the Miami Herald reports that Randy St. Claire is the Marlins' new pitching coach.

Posted by: Drew8 | October 27, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that the Saint caught on somewhere, though I can't really say that I'll root for his team. Eh, they already "own" us, anyway.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

(pssst...the OP has a blog item about the AFL, as well as a man on the ground for Strasburg's start this afternoon)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the AFL, just took a gander at the game notes PDF file on the league site (see below). Pretty cool. Lots of info there, including schedules for infield practice and games. Also noticed that both the Rising Stars Game (11/7) and the Championship Game (11/21) will be telecast on MLB Network and mlb.tv.

mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/league.jsp?league=afl

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

So what will the unimaginative angle be on this year's World Series?

A-Rod? ("He came through in the playoffs. Hero or goat in the Series?")

Or some nasty swipes at the whole effin' National League? ("The Phillies play like a team in the REAL league, the American League?")

This one is a yawner for me, I'm afraid. The most interesting thing so far is that the Phillies took the train to NY.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Houston chose Brad Mills as their manager. If I am correct, this leaves the Nats as the last standing. If they don't end up with Valentine or Mattingly, it will be because they din't want either.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 27, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't think to look there before but the NatsTown Blog did have a Web Gems award item:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I believe that the Nats are the last team standing as far as managerial openings at this point.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I bet the real competition is Mattingly vs. Riggleman, not Valentine. And I bet the stuff we're seeing about Mattingly discussing his future with the Dodgers may very well pull him out of the mix.

I really would like to see Riggleman have a chance. I think both he and the team could use some continuity to see exactly what they got. And didn't he take the Cubs into the postseason? That's more managerial experience than Mattingly's got. And besides, we already did the whole new-manager-cuts-his-teeth-on and grows-with the team thing.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 27, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

More likely Mattingly's discussions with the Dodgers are to drive up the price he'll demand to take a manager job elsewhere. And I certainly hope the Nationals don't skip over him on account of cost. Not that I think they would.

Valentine they can skip on account of his price, though, or for any other reason they care to cite. And Riggleman? Meh. He'd be okay, but then so was Manny. Of all managers who've ever managed in MLB for 10 years or more, Riggleman's W-L record is the worst. He's been around too long to use the "I'll keep taking little shots until I become a big shot" argument that Manny's using now. Riggleman is all he'll ever be as a manager already, and it's not all that.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 27, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg's bouncing back pretty well. 4IP so far, no hits, 2 BB, 4k's

Posted by: sjt1455 | October 27, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

SS's final line 4.1IP 1H 2BB 4K. just replaced by Josh Wilkie.

Posted by: sjt1455 | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg is done after 67 pitches - 4.1 ip, 1 hit (guy still on 2nd) 5 k's over 2 bb.

The OP says he's touched triple digits today. Wilkie is in now.

Posted by: sec307 | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Make that 5 K's

Posted by: sjt1455 | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Wilkie let SS's runner score, so his final line now includes an ER.

Posted by: sec307 | October 27, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the Gameday data (no pitch f/x), it appears Strasburg induced 14 swinging strikes out of 36 total swings. That's almost unbelievable (I'm still rebutting that scout from BA who said Strasburg didn't get many swings-and-misses).

It looks like he may have decided to pitch inside a lot more today, just judging from what I can see. If anyone has velocity numbers, I'd love to see them.

Posted by: jcj5y | October 27, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Nats made some more front office moves today. looks like rizzo is putting the pieces together for the offseason.

Posted by: artvandelay2 | October 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

TheEclipse. FYI. Rigs's little shots add up oddly close to where Acta's self-chosen bench mark Torre stood after ten years.

Torre: 1,250 games, 567 wins.
Riggleman: 1,250 games, 555 wins.

From baseballreference.com

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Can we get a new post?? Things are happening around Natstown.

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You ask for it, you got it, dfh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse