Guzman, Norris to Undergo Surgery

The Nationals just announced some injury news.

From the release:

*SS Cristian Guzman will have his right shoulder scoped on Thursday, October 8. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Wiemi Douoguih at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC.

*C Derek Norris fractured his left hamate bone while working out in the Instructional League. He will have surgery performed by Dr. Thomas Graham in Baltimore to remove the fractured hamate bone on Thursday, October 8. He is expected to be able to resume baseball activities in December.

More later.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 7, 2009; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revisiting the Predictions
Next: Bog: The Unluckiest Fan

Comments

I know i'm a little late but that was some "play in' game yesterday between the Tigers and the Twins great baseball from start to finish, i was rooting hard for the Tigers i think they would have given the "Evil Empire" a better series but you never know, stranger things have happened.Now can somebody explain to me what a hamate bone is, and hopefully all goes well with these procedures.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So much for the AFL... bummer.

Posted by: sec307 | October 7, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@dagregmag - The hamate bone is basically a useless bone in the hand. Will Carroll writes for Baseball Prospectus as their injury expert. Here are a couple of quotes Carroll had about hamate injuries

“A hamate is one of the small bones in the wrist. There are two parts to the bone – the hook and the body. Most surgery is done to remove the hook, which is so fragile that it seldom realigns well. The wrist functions well without it.”

“There’s some lingering power deficit in the first year, but there’s no long term problems. The recovery time depends on the severity and mechanism of the injury, their pain tolerance, and the individual healing response. People are all different.”

It's an injury the Nationals are familiar with as both Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond both underwent surgery to remove the hamate bone.

Posted by: Brian_ | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

:-(

Re. the most excellent tiebreaker game, the Star Tribune has a great gamer:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

dargramps:

Posted by: BinM | October 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

So what is it with the Nats and catchers?

Posted by: twinbrook | October 7, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Norris' replacement to the AFL?

Posted by: sec307 | October 7, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so no one is stepping up and I'd like to redirect the conversation back to predictions. Here are the actual answers to the extent they can be determined. Compare to your own predictions and weep:

1. 2009 win total - 59
2. Attendance at Nationals Park (81 dates; last year's was 2.32 million) - 1.82 million (I predicted 1.83 million!)
3. All-star representative(s) - Zim
4. Adam Dunn's home run total - 38
5. Date of Stephen Strasburg's major league debut - Still TBD
6. Nick Johnson's total games played - 98 with the Nats, 35 with the Fish
7. Wins for John Lannan - 9
8. Percentage of season Dmitri Young spends in big leagues, not on DL - 0%
9. Josh Willingham's total at bats - 427
10. Innings pitched for Daniel Cabrera - 40 with the Nats, 11 with the Dbacks
11. Team ERA leader - Clippard (2.69), among starters Lannan (3.88)
12. Team batting average leader - Take your pick from Rivera (.333 in 3 AB), Morgan (.307 overall in 467 AB, but .351 in 191 AB with the Nats), Flores (.301 in 93 AB), or Zim (.292).
13. Biggest surprise - Judgment call. And of course there are good surprises and bad surprises. Discuss.
14. Biggest disappointment - Another judgment call, and I'm not sure if there's a difference between a disappointment and a bad surprise. Discuss.
15. Current minor leaguer (not counting Zimmermann) who will make an impact - Hmm. Martin, Stammen, Mock, Gonzales (yes he was in the minors on opening day) Desmond, Jamie Burke? Discuss.

Posted by: Section222 | October 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

good work, 222. =)

Posted by: NatsNut | October 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

What about the bunions?

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I cant remember if it was before or after the original blog post but Smiley has to be the biggest surprise and all the fall-out that followed.

If all this happened before the original post then it must be Nick Johnson NOT getting injured.

Biggest dissapointment, the Washington Natinals, that was just embarrassing and will not be forgotten for a long long time.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | October 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Section222: I'll rise to your bait.

Biggest suprise - The Milledge-Hanrahan for Morgan-Burnett trade. It seemed like it came out of the ether, and had a very positive effect on the Nationals.
Biggest disappointment - The Flores injury; Cut short what looked like a breakthrough season for Javier offensively.
2009 minor-leaguer who will make an impact - In hindsight, my vote goes to Steve McCatty. Instead of fussing with mechanics, he brought the attitude of "throw what you can, but throw it for strikes" to the team.

Posted by: BinM | October 7, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

RE the great game last night, did anyone else besides me wince at all those references to the "baseball players" on the Twins' club? The Twins system for signing & developing players, and the results they've obtained over the last 10-12 years, are a clear refutation of the Jim Bowden "tools-oriented" approach. Watching .220-hitting Nick Punto battling through every AB & playing heady defense at 2B made me happy as a baseball fan but very sad as a Nats' fan. But of course we've changed directions now & maybe we'll have our own homegrown supply of Punto-like role players soon.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | October 7, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Who's Javier?

Posted by: nunof1 | October 7, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@nunof1: Dammit, did it again - Jesus, not Javier.

Posted by: BinM | October 7, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Right, CapP, I really hope that the Nats get them some awesome .220 hitters like Punto, or maybe even like David Eckstein! There is nothing better than watching a gritty, scrappy .220 hitter (who is hitting .220 because he sucks, by the way), battle through every at-bat and play "heady" defense!

There is nothing wrong with players with tools. The problem is when it is all potential--which is what Bowden was fixated on--and no execution.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | October 7, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I understood "biggest surprise" to be a positive, and looking for a player, not an event. But maybe that's just me.

Still haven't found my predictions in the list, tho. I remember posting it. Must have been an alternate universe thing, again.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 7, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

i don't know how many of us are hockey fans, but in yesterday's caps chat wapo nhl editor lindsay applebaum gave a breezy answer to a question about whether the caps would get more page one exposure. quoth ms. applebaum: "Nobody's ever an equal player on the D.C. sports scene (I mean, let's face it, we stopped regularly putting the Nats out front ages ago)."

CiL, you've been right all long.

Posted by: surly_w | October 7, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

@surly: Lindsay's been snarky like that for as long as she's been with the WaPo. If you think back, she had her own sports-page blog for a while, posting sports related links & hoping for webhits; When that got shut down, she worked with Steinz as a contributor to the "Sports Bog" for a while.

Is she really the WaPo's NHL editor now? That means Tarik's copy has to pass through her first? YIKES!

Posted by: BinM | October 7, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@sec3mysofa (still one of my favorite monikers of all time) -- perhaps you posted your predictions under a pseudonym so you would have plausible deniability. I agree with you that "biggest surprise" probably referred to a player. But the Nyjer trade was certainly (pleasantly) surprising, especially that the Pirates allowed us to throw Hanrahan into the deal and gave us someone of value for him.

I think my biggest (good) surprise was Clippard -- he made one unimpressive start in '08, and turned out to be our best reliever this year. Nick Johnson staying healthy and having such a good year was a surprise too, although I'm very glad he was traded at the deadline because it gave us a chance to find out that Dunn can play a decent first base. I hope he stays there for next year (and that they sign him to an extension). I don't think my heart can take much more of his left field play.

Biggest disappointment -- I guessed Millege and that turned out to be a good pick. But I have to say Manny Acta was an even bigger disappointment. I liked him last year, but something happened. His sphinx-like demeanor was annoying as well as his excuses for the "kids," many of whom were 25 years old or older. Remember the grass cutting that was responsible for Anderson Hernandez's error? Good gracious! Rizzo/Stan took too long to get rid of him.

Best contributor from the minors -- J.D. Martin probably, when you take into account the whole season.

Discuss.

Posted by: Section222 | October 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

222, thanks, but as a matter of fact, this IS my pseudonym. Believe it or not. I didn't start this until early May. (and props to my own favorites, +1/2 St. and SurlyW.)
I was just browsing back through April's posts, rants, bon mots, predictions.
Daniel Cabrera (shudder). Hoping Kip Wells would amount to something. The clubhouse losing Manny...

Actually, there's a lot of funny stuff back there.

But the closest thing to a prediction from me was at the one-month mark, suggestiong that if they doubled their pace, they'd finish with 107 losses.

I'd almost forgotten how bad they've been.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 7, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

And here's hoping Cristian Guzman's surgery is a success!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 7, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

And Norris's. Success all around.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 7, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Dukes doesn't count as coming out of the minors for the purposes of this discussion, does he? He didn't start there, but he did spend some time.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 7, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Biggest Surprise: Our loathsome good luck charm, a key component to the Dodgers charge: Ronnie Belliard.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd be interested to know who our players are rooting for in the postseason.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 7, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

more later. how much later?

Posted by: surly_w | October 7, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

more later? Surly_w we're still on Chico time. Kind of between time in Cabo San Lucas and Pleasantville. (jk)

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we have an update on SS's bowel movements? I can't find anything in the last few posts.

Posted by: paulkp | October 7, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I believe he had a passed ball.

Posted by: markfromark | October 8, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see young Lerner in the stands at the Yankees game last night?

Get a good look at playoff baseball young Lerner.

Posted by: dclifer97 | October 8, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"I believe he had a passed ball."

We have a winner.

Anyway, the hamate thing concerns me, because that takes a *long* time to fully recover from. RZ, among many others, was able to hit a ball in a few months, but it was most of a year before the power came back. Then again, Norris is young, but anyway, it's not a good thing.

Posted by: Section406 | October 8, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ian Desmond had it done last spring and he was back pretty quick.

Posted by: WashOut | October 8, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

You know who's back pretty quick? The Woman of Steele, with a new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | October 8, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse