Lineups From Turner Field

Anderson - 7
Escobar - 6
LaRoche - 3
Church - 9
Hanson - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  October 1, 2009; 3:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: En Route to ATL
Next: Maxwell, Detwiler and a One-Liner From Riggleman

Comments

Posted by: Bill-CH | October 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Is Guz shut down for the season and I didn't see the news? Or did he finally fall out of favor with Rigs?

Posted by: swang30 | October 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I almost don't want to pay any attention to these last 4 games after last night. I prefer to end with the magic.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

looking at the rockies score...this game might not mean anything to the braves.

Posted by: akdeac31 | October 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Dunn's hitting third. Is Riggs trying to get him to 40?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | October 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I know the feeling, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and dargregmag, don't forget the Gold Glove chant when Zimmerman's at the plate. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Seeing "Orr-4" in the lineup is a reason why I don't endorse Riggleman as the permanent manager. Part of a manager's job is to help players take the final step to becoming bona fide major league players and I would like to see Gonzalez get more PT working with Desmond. Orr is as good as he's ever going to be but he's the kind of 30s-something journeyman that Riggleman has embraced in San Diego, Chicago and Seattle. Orr's the guy you can play who won't necessarily hurt you, but who have no real value or upside. Riggleman is too much of a "play it safe" guy for my tastes.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swang30 | October 1, 2009 4:26 PM |
---------------------------------------------------------

You didn't see the news. I think it's a sore shoulder. On the other hand, he did pinch-hit last night. Surprised me to see him come in.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

With Morse and Maxwell in there, this game's almost in the bag for the unstoppable Nats.

Posted by: fischy | October 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Braves will be playing for nothing but pride - COL 7, MIL 1; bottom of the 7th.
-------------------
fischy: Guzman is apparently ok taking swings, but can't extend fully on throws (I know, I know - So what changed there?)

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Bill-CH: I'm a Pete Orr fan, but seems to me that Gonzalez needs to play more; besides he had a pretty good game last night - started the winning rally.

The AG better be gone by 2010 or Stan will still be in his "save money not win games" mode. I was at that great finish yesterday and AG did do an unnecessary dive to beat out a hit that was key in the 9th. That was after he failed to back up first and Zimm's throw bounced around and the runner reached second -- in part becasue AG's late and weak throw went into LF. And he doubled covered 2B on a hit and run, costing a hit and an extra base adavnce for the runner. AG is clueless in the field most of time and has been all year. He is no solution for a winning team.

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | October 1, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grclarkdc1

Absolutely spot on, grclarkdc1. I was at Wednesday's miracle and saw the same things. Gonzo was given three months to win the 2B job, and failed quite miserably. He's in my top-5 to be non-tendered, traded, or just plain cut for 2010:

1. Kearns. 'Nuf said.
2. Villone. Nice guy, but...
3. Bergy. Too many 400-foot sliders.
4. AG.
5. Mock.

Bardo might make it in this list as well, provided we can pick up another backup receiver somewhere. Not Schneider.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@sbcistpfm
I like the list except for Bergmann - not sure why because the numbers don't back it up but I would like to give him one more year & not yank him up and down - I would definitely add Bard, but we would have to have that backup catcher like you say

Posted by: sjm3091 | October 1, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Sunshine: Actually, the 40-man roster is at 46 because of guys on the 60-DL, so here's another list to mull over...

1- DaMeat 60-DL (expiring contract)
2- Kearns 15-DL ($1M buyout)
3- T.Young 60-DL (RHRP, R5 pickup)
4- Kensing (DFA'd twice in 2009 by WSH)
5- Burke (38 y.o. catcher)
6- Villone (40 y.o. LHRP)

There is another handful of players who are out of options (AGonz, Maxwell, Bernadina, Martis, Estrada, Clippard) as well as some Arb-eligible players (Nieves, Olson, Willingham & Bergmann).

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Maxwell would be a Super5, no?

Posted by: Section506 | October 1, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so, 506--I don't see him in the picture anywhere: http://tinyurl.com/yapfytf

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

but seriously, folks

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

506: You might be right on Maxwell (drafted in 2005); I'm admittedly a little sketchy on some of the FA/Arbitration rules (HS vs NCAA JR/SR vs Int'l).
I might add that both Flores & Dukes could be Arb-eligible this year. I'm also wondering about the status on Morse & Padilla.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Note: "but less than 3"

"What Players Are Eligible for Arbitration?

A player and club who cannot agree on a contract may agree to salary arbitration, provided that the player has enough service time in the majors. The following players are eligible for arbitration:

(1) Players with at least 3 but less than 6 years of service in Major League Baseball;

(2) The top 17 percent of players with at least 2 but less than 3 years of Major League service. These are known as “Super 2” players. To qualify as a Super 2, a player must have accumulated at least 86 days of service in the previous year. Historically, the cutoff point for Super 2 status is 2 years, 128 days of service, though the requirement has been as high as 2 years, 140 days in years past."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: Wait a minute - Last night, you were "too lazy" to do a lookup on Claude Osteen, but you had the Arb rules at your fingertips? Thanks for the link, though.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: So while you're at it, do you have a layman's explanation of the Free Agency requirements, you wanker?

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

fer cryin out loud, I gotta do everything but write the gamer around here?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Final from Denver MIL 2, COL 9; It's official, ATL is done from the pennant race.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

and Osteen was with the Dodgers. I was a Giants fan.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

So my brother in Colo. Springs--who still hasn't stopped laughing since Hawpe's home run--will be soaking in the sun this October. Or snow. Either way.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

(it was Hawpe's shot into the first row in center, over Nyjer's *glove*--well, Nyjer's everything--and then bounced into the batters' eye grass, that led me astray.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

fer cryin out loud, I gotta do everything but write the gamer around here?
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:49 PM
-------------------------
Pretty much, but if you wanna take a shot at it, be my guest. BTW, thanks again; I owe you.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

fer cryin out loud, I gotta do everything but write the gamer around here?
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:49 PM
-------------------------

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: Educator, or in the Air Force? I'm from SLC, and grew up thinking that nobody lives in Colorado Springs by choice.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 6:52 PM

**********************
I'm pretty sure my brother just outside of Atlanta hasn't stopped crying since Hawpe's home run....

Posted by: NatsNut | October 1, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

BinM, he's no Turtle.
He's a computer guy.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

actually, he may be a turtle for all I know. I'll have to ask him.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

atarashii poosto imas'.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 1, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: If I read the turtle reference correctly, it would only count if he's commissioned - Contractors are there by necessity.

As for "atarashii poosto imas'"; lingua franca, please - I'm lost.

Posted by: BinM | October 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I know I called out Carpenter for his crummy call of Maxwell's walk-off HR yesterday (and deservedly so - the call robbed the moment of any grandeur and excitement), but fair is fair. He's doing a heck of a job tonight dealing with MASN's SNAFU.

Having to work with the Atlanta feed - and their production crew, who bases their shots on the action in the Atlanta booth - is broadcasting's version of improv. Call it a professional moment, and Carpenter is performing commendably.

He's even managed to set up Dibble a few times. Good work, Carp.

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse