Nationals make more front office moves

The Washington Nationals have named Kasey McKeon director of
player procurement and Jay Robertson as special assistant to the gen-
eral manager.

McKeon has spent the previous seven seasons with the Colorado
Rockies as assistant to the general manager for GM Dan O'Dowd. McKeon previously worked for Cincinnati, Cleveland and San Diego in various scouting positions. He is
the son of longtime baseball manager and executive Jack McKeon.

Robertson spent the previous eight seasons as special a ssistant to the general manager with the Texas Rangers, under John Hart (2002-05) and Jon Daniels (2006-09). Previously, Robertson spent 11 seasons with the Cleveland Indians, which included serving as special assistant to GM Hart from 2000 to 2001.

The Nationals continue seeking to fill their vacant managing job, which is currently held on an interim basis by Jim Riggleman.

By Alexa Steele  |  October 27, 2009; 5:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Acta hired by Cleveland
Next: Strasburg impressive in third AFL start

Comments

Our guy Strasburg had himself a great day, allowing only one hit over 4 1/3.

I hope to see many front-office hires, so a full complement can work on the roster properly.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 27, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

No idea who these guys are, but I like all of the experience I see.

Any rumors on the manager job??

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

+1/2 St.: The Nationals might have one or two more FO slots to fill (I'd personally like to see a Pacific Rim Scouting Chief named), then get a Manager & Coaching Staff in place.

In Arizona Fall League news, Phoenix squeaked by the Suprise Rafters 7-6, after leading 7-2 through five.
Nationals farmhands of note:
Espinosa (SS): 2/4, 12B, 1RS, 1SO.
Marrero (1B): 1/4, 1RS, 1SO; 1E(3).
Rooney (CA): 0/3, 1SO.
Strasburg (SP): 4.1IP, 1H, 1ER, 2BB, 5K, 67Pitches, 42Strikes - W(2-1 overall).
Wilkie (RP): 1.2IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 0BB, 2K.

Posted by: BinM | October 27, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

All right, D-Dogs!

Phil Wood has a piece about the news hires on the MASN site.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. "New" hires.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 27, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The Nats ownership doesn't look so bad now. Read below. There were many other similar incidents last night.

"At half time, I went down to the concessions area to get a beer and a dog. Of course, the crowd was once again getting restless at the lack of productivity we were seeing on the field. Standing two rows away from me in line, were two middle aged men. One wore a T-shirt that read "Fire Snyder", the other's said "Fire Vinny". It wasn't long after standing there that the men were surrounded by close to a dozen people wearing yellow security jackets. The conversation between them and the two men escalated quickly as security asked the men to remove their shirts. Of course the men refused, and one stated that he had been a season ticket holder for 26 years. The conversation continued to get heated and before you knew it 6 or 7 armed security officers formed a circle around the layer of yellowed jacketed security officers. "Sir, you're about to lose those season tickets if you don't take off that shirt" is what he was told. I don't know what got into me but I had seen enough and had to speak up. This was beyond absurd! I cut across a crowd of people, entering the circle of security.... I said " these guys should be able to wear whatever they want! What the hell is going on? What the hell is this? Communist Russia??? ". I was quickly greeted with a stern warning to not interfere and a shove in the chest that sent me back a few feet. A few minutes later, the men were escorted out of the area and a security woman approached me with an explanation about their actions. "Look, I know what you're saying, and I can't say that I don't agree with you, but I'm a part-time teacher and this job is my Holiday money"...."upper management told us to come up here and ask these men to remove their shirts and I can't lose my job, so I'm doing it."

I decided then and there that I would NEVER again set foot in Fed Ex Stadium as long as Dan Snyder was the owner. The way I saw people being treated for voicing their opinions on this night embarrassed me as a Redskin fan, a Washingtonian, and as an American. These sort of totalitarian strong arm tactics are downright shameful and I needed to let others know about it. I hope you share this story with your audience.

A deeply embarrassed Redskins fan

Posted by: CedarR | October 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse"

Posted by: croftonpost | October 27, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

heartening to see rizzo is taking the necessary steps to make the nats a big-boy baseball team, rather than a fly-by-night, seat-of-the-pants operation as in the past.

Posted by: surly_w | October 27, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

To get a better idea of how dominant Strasburg was, go read Mark Zuckerman's "Chatter" blog. Mark was at the game and his blog is in play-by-play format. It's a great read.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 27, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I dont know a lot about Front Office baseball but if this is what Rizzo needs to do to make this team better, so be it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

1a1: Thanks for the note on the Phil Wood piece. Also on the MASN site is an short interview between Byron Kerr & Josh Wilkie (& video).

Posted by: BinM | October 27, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

dfh21: Mum's the word on the Nationals' Manager, beyond the original list.
-----------------------------
surly: Only time will tell, but at first glance, it certainly seems like Rizzo is laying the foundation for a competent (and stable) Front Office. Just two or three more Scouting Chiefs (Pacific Rim, U.S. Professional & U.S. Amateur) & they should be set.

Posted by: BinM | October 27, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

just spent the last hour reading - sometimes through tears of laughter - the bile towards the danny now that his team is playing at an actan pace and free speech apparently has been outlawed at fedup field. sometimes when i feel like blasting the lerners, i thank god that my favorite local team isn't a daniel m. snyder property.

Posted by: surly_w | October 27, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@surly

The "M" apparently stands for "Malice."

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 27, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't know much about the new hires, of course, but I like their experience and where they came from.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | October 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I know the Post is obsessing over the apparent fall of The House of Snyder, but NOTHING on Strasburg's start today in the AFL?

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 27, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I know its a tough sell and I always got a chuckle out of watching a bunch of college kids trying to sell Nats Season Tickets to unsuspecting passer-bys on Crystal Drive in Crystal City this past summer but for the life of me, StanK the golden goose has finaly laid its rotten egg. Go for the jugular just like Snyder would do if he was in your position. Get your players on the radio, get them doing TV interviews, put something live on MASN in between all of the junk they peddle. Okay after the WS is over start the buzz if you have to yourself with Hot Stove talk, the Winter Meetings, and your managerial search. The B&G's season is done, eventually the WAPO will realize the futility of 1000 articles a week repeating the same old-same old. The natives are restless, do it for humanity, do it for the cause, just do it!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 27, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

leetee

you'll have to wait two days for chico, or somebody, to get around to it. like last week. there's apparently a waiting period, just like buying a handgun.

Posted by: surly_w | October 27, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Tippy C.

I agree with you, and it could start by them signing some solid FA's this offseason.

Being a Steelers fan I couldn't give a rats rear end about the Redskins but, it doesn't take a marketing wiz to figure out that there is a big time opportunity here.

Carpe Diem, StanK and Uncle Teddy, Carpe Diem.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 27, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

505/203: There may not be too many "solid" FA candidates this year (the non-tender deadline will expose the final list), but there be no lack of possible trades; It's a question of possible dance partners at this point.

Posted by: BinM | October 27, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Remind me to stay out of the way of anybody calling himself surly and buying a handgun. :)

Posted by: nats24 | October 27, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I may be surly, but I am not buying any handguns -- those things are expensive! As are my 4 club level Nats seats with parking, to the tune of $20K. Odds I renew: maybe 5 to 1. They have 5 weeks to sway me. TippyCanoe is dead-on, they need to get some buzz going about the club, give me some reason to believe. Not sure that is gonna happen for a 6th time.

Posted by: dfh21 | October 27, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

LOL! y'all. don't let the moniker fool you.

Posted by: surly_w | October 27, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you take this Skins talk back about 3 months or so and you'd swear it was the Nats. My how fortunes have flipped in DC. I'm glad the Nats have a Rizzo rather than a Snyderatto.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 27, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, BinM. The MASN site has been quite active this offseason.

Speaking of big-boy teams:

Nice skirt, Shane. I think 506 could do a better job of Philly smack talk than the fans they spoke to for the piece, though.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

BTW, *this* is how you do a Philly rant:

Also I hate Philly. I hate their stupid eatery called "Boursch" that sounds like the noise I'm making after their stupid food. I hate their ads on the Metro about how Philly is more fun, especially the one with the bar skanks offering you a cosmopolitan. I would rather drink toilet water than your cosmopolitan make-up girl! I hate their gaudy, ridiculous Constitution Center and most of all I hate the stupid Liberty Bell -significant of NOTHING in American history- that's harder to see than the United States Capitol due to insane security for fifty feet and twenty minutes while they have a fully used street, not ten feet from the damn bell, which is ALREADY broken in the first place!@%&!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 16, 2007 11:55 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Mark Zuckerman made his way to AZ to watch SS. He laid out an inning by inning expose of the outing. Good work by the OPIT.

CAPS put the beat-down on the Flyers. Best record in town and a great game to boot.

Wiz open big against a tough Mavs team. Very interesting to watch!

WAPO still stuck in Synder vortex.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 28, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Zuckerman has a piece re. Nats on the D-Dogs as well.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I declare 506 the Rembrandt of Rant!

Also it really is heartening to see the Nat's start to build a proper organisation. I can't help but feel that this might have been a good thing to start about four years ago.

Posted by: soundbloke | October 28, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

1a, LOL. Good stuff. Can you find his rant about stupid Chase Utley?

Posted by: NatsNut | October 28, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Jim Bowden Error just won't go away. Nats must pay $75K to former JimBow Dominican crony. Read all about it.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 28, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Not sure, NatsNut, unless it was in this thread:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

New post, sort of.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Storen has a new post, too:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse