One Last Time...

Just to answer the questions about Dunn's off day: Yes, Dunn requested the day off. Jim Riggleman gave him the option to play, but Dunn didn't feel the need -- even within two homers of the 40 milestone. "I'm accommodating him," Riggleman said. "If he wanted to play today he'd be in there. But he's -- you know, I think it's somewhat of a statement by Adam that it's not about his numbers. He knows there's guys here, the Padillas and Morses of the world, who have been working their tails off also who never get a chance to play in a ballgame."

Washington

LaRoche - 3
Escobar - 6
Johnson - 4
Sammons - 2
Hudson - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  October 4, 2009; 12:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats 6, Braves 4
Next: After 162 Games and 15 Innings, It's All Over

Comments

So the Dunnkey's 40-HR year streak ends.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Is the rest of the team already on the golf course?

Thanks for your efforts this year, Chico.

Posted by: 08Cubs | October 4, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Introducing your 2009 Syra...i mean Washington Nats.

Nothing better than an extra day of rest to jumpstart the offseason. Go Nats. Go Chiefs.

Posted by: jfromPG | October 4, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. If I were Riggs, I would have left Dunn in to give him a chance to reach 40. And I assume that Padilla is actually in LF, not CF?

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

well, even watching this AAA lineup will beat watching the Zorn-skins - I bet I'll hear the booing from FedEx Field here in Reston.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hope this lineup plays better than it reads. I guess Cox didn't get the "let's play the bench" memo.

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Let the kids play one more time. No need to get a banged up veteran hurt in a meaningless game. Dunn has had plenty of chances to get his 40. We don't need any more Nick Johnson catastrophe's.

Posted by: SackMan | October 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Is Riggleman the one punting on Dunn's chance at 40, or did Dunn beg off?

Posted by: nunof1 | October 4, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Our last afternoon with Charlie & Dave until March plays out today. I hope for an interesting winter from the FO, in terms of trades, signings & hirings to fill the winter.

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe it will be a good day for the rookies. Heck, Tampa Bay's rookie QB is already having a good day at FedEx field, and it's only 2 minutes into the game.

Go Nats!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

C & D are playing offensive highlights. Listening for the J-Max walkoff on Wednesday.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

hello, Nats People. Last game...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that was an awesome call by Slowes.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go to the basement Nats-watching lair. Later.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that was an awesome call by Slowes.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse
**************************************

Yes, it was. I love listening to him and Dave. I might go into withdrawl after today :(

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and don't forget the chant, dargramps: "Gold Glove"

:-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Me, too, PIC. :-(

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Frankly I believe we should have been playing a line up, like this, featuring all our prospects from the second the trade deadline hit (although obviously with Dunn and Zimmerman in it).

It's something of a testament to the fact that DC can be a baseball town if people are still posting on the last day, on a Sunday with a AAAA team on the field. It's been a rotten season but for some reason I think worst days of this franchise are behind us.

Roll on the winter meetings! Go forth Mr. Rizzo and us a team!

Posted by: soundbloke | October 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Roll on the winter meetings! Go forth Mr. Rizzo and us a team!

Posted by: soundbloke | October 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Rain coming into ATL - what would the season finale be without a final rain delay?

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter just before the first pitch: "Sunny for now. Mostly cloudy, 71 degrees." Huh?

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Dave just mentioned that they've had 41 hours in rain delays this season - Wow!

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping for some great off-season deals and signings! We need them!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 4, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Last game for future Hall of Famer, Bobby Cox! Salute!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 4, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ponce: A bit premature on Cox - He'll be back in 2010 for a farewell tour.

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yawner from the AAA guys and another stinker from the football team. Time to enjoy the beautiful weather before the Dodgers come on at 4. Hope Ronnie's able to play.

Looking forward to reading about the off season deals and ready to welcome our new defensive middle infielder to go with Guzman.

Morse looks like a keeper and I think we'll see Desmond again if he can improve his erratic play and learn some versatilty.

Posted by: longhorn64 | October 4, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Here is my top-ten lists for improvements and things that will make the nats not only better but more enjoyable in 2010:

10 - Hope the Nats retain all there TV and Radio personal. Between Bob Carpenter and Rob Dibble they have really been enjoyable, I was very pleasantly surprised with Dibble because I thought that he was just a bad boy but he has turned out great. Also like Ray Knight and Johnny Holliday, they are also good. On the radio side, please keep Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler, other than listening to Vin Scully and Jon Miller, these guys are third best in Baseball. Thanks for getting such a first class team.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

#9 - In the same breath of good folks I really have not liked Debbi Taylor. She doesn't really add much, asks easy questions and honestly is too happy. She seems to be a shill for the Nationals and we could do a lot better.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

#8 - You may think that this is weird, but the number one problem period with the Nats is the lame radio coverage. I live in Leesburg, Virginia and we can't hear or get a clear 1500 signal.
Thank God for my Iphone major league app, but come on guys, you can get us on FM and we have to get better coverage area with radio.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

#7 For season ticket holders like myself, I am getting sick of Clint as the head of the Nats PAC. Maybe it's because he has done it for two years, but I think he has worn out his welcome. Please find someone else.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

#6 - I sit up in the Club level and I hate that we can't get popcorn easily, we have no grilled hot dogs and no ice cream. Can management do anything about this? Also, I refuse to buy a souvenir cup this year, they were so lame compared to the way they were the first 4 years. I know that I still have some from the first year, they were solid, great tops with great straws. They are very cheap now.
Lastly, the bugers are OK in the stars and strips club, but we could really us 5guys to make it the best.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

#5 One last complaint about the Staduim, please open the gates for the whole park before 5:30. For some of us, we like to beat the traffic and get there around 5, but I have to wait in the center field section until 5:30

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

#4 - Of all the folks that I have appreciated this year, I think that he would be perfect trade bait. That is Cristian Guzman, he has been great the last couple of years but I really feel that he has a lot of value, and with Desmond at shortstop, we can possibly get good pitching for Guzman. While we talk about Guzman, do we need a better 2nd baseman? Boy a month ago I would of said yes, but Gonzalez has really improved and I would not go out of my way to get someone else, lets she is Gonzalez will improve.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

#3 Do we need more catching for 2010? Boy that is a good question, we all hope and pray that Flores will be great again. The big question is what do you do with Bard or Nieves? With Orr going to be a backup catcher, we don't need both Bard or Nieves, so which one gets the heave-ho in the Spring? Boy they are both nice guys Nievens may have the edge because of better average but we have to give credit for Bard giving 110% on some really bum legs. Hopefully Rizzo can get something good for one of the two in a trade, which would help both teams.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

#2 Did Dukes prove himself in August and September, you bet. He has more God-given talent on the Nats than about anyone else, but he really needs more help. He has gotten it and I feel he improved in 2009, but that doesn't mean that if someone is willing to give some great pitching to us for a trade of Dukes, I say let him go. But he has really worked hard and has improved over 2008.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

000H, Clip was happy with THAT catch!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Golfersal: Lastly, the bugers are OK in the stars and strips club...
=================================================================
There's a strip club at Nats Park?

I need to get to more games.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

# 1 - The most important item for the Nats in 2010 is pitching. We need to get rid of our retread bullpen and get some established players. I can only hope that Drew Stroen is the answer, but we need to get some more. If I was Rizzo, I would not keep Segovia, Kensing, Rivera, Garate and Villone. I would make MacDougal a set-up man, I would also think that maybe see if Martis can be a relief pitcher and possibly see if maybe Hernandez can be a long relief pitcher.
As for starters, Lannan and Detwiler are my only sure thing for 2010. We hope for the best on Olsen, but he has a long haul. I also assume that Jordon Zimmerman is gone for 2010. So we can only hope that Strasburg will be OK for 2010 and that we can get another seasoned first string pitcher.
A guy that we saw today, Tim Hudson looks great but there are others that could be great, oh for relief how about Trevor Hoffman or Billy Wagner and for another starter how about Matt Herges or Rafael Soriano?

We have to get more pitching and make sure that we have great guys for 2010. We went out and spent a lot for Adam Dunn and got our monies worth. Austin Kernes and Dimarti Young high salaries will be off the books and they won't be back so spend that money ASAP on good pitching.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Lastly should they keep Riggleman? If someone that is a Joe Torre type comes down the pipe in the next month yes. But that isn't going to happen. Does Rizzo take the retreads from the Rookies and Diamondbacks, no. We need a really big name and someone that will help free agents come here. If Rizzo can't find that person he can retain Riggleman for a year and see what he can do. As for the coaches, I have no problem with Eckstein or McCatty, of the others I really am not versed on them.
So can the Nats be a contender in 2010? Yes, if things go perfect, we could even sink the Philles if we get good pitching.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

How about the umps just call every ball a strike and put both clubs out of their misery and let the folks have their concert.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Or Riggleman could just bring in either Garate or Kensing from the bullpen...

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm impressed both teams are still playing like it matters. Good for them.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Where'd everybody go? Where did I come from? Why did Desmond swing at those pitches just then?

Bottom 14th, still tied at 1. No offense since, what? the 6th inning? By either team.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Kensing is in. Nobody wants to win this game. Draw straws?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Or Riggleman could just bring in either Garate or Kensing from the bullpen...

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse
***********************************

Ask and ye shall recieve. The arsonist has clocked in...

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

This is just crazy. Top of the 15th!

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

And Kensing makes quick work of the Braves - now this is the longest game in Nats history in terms of innings...

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The season that refuses to die rages on...

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I guess neither team wants this season to end.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, nobody on either of these teams has dinner reservations tonight.

Posted by: wigi | October 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

What do they do? Keep playing until they have no players left?

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Can they call someone up from the minors?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it wonderful that the Nats love us so much they don't want the season to end?

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 4, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

And the sports announcers all over the nation, who are explaining there will be a PLAYOFF game in Minnesota, conclude with, "And for some reason, they are still playing in Atlanta..."

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Chico must be dying by now.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 4, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

SCORE!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

This must stink for all those Braves fans who've sat through all of this waiting for the post-game concert.

MacD for the bottom of the 15th?

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"This makes Kensing the Pitcher of Record? fitting ending to this game if it happens..."

Fitting ending to this weirdo season overall.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The arsonist is still on the mound. Oh boy...

Can he get the win and the save? :)

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Okay, start Desmond at short next year. Eat Guzman's salary if we have to.

Howabout we trade Guzman and we agree to pay half his salary?

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

It's fantastic ending the season on a 7 game win streak. Looking forward to next year!! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | October 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

two outs...anything that is in the Atlanta area code should be called a strike...

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Crap! Infante singles.. not over yet. I spoke too soon. I still think we win, unless they hit a home run here..

Posted by: rachel216 | October 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Kensing better end this game soon... My iPhone battery's getting low..

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

OK, get McD in here.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

The arsonist is still on the mound. Oh boy...

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:41 PM
______________________________

Anyone got a match?

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

One more strike...come on!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Pass the fire extinguisher!

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I bet those fans hate that third base ump!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Great job by the Nats! It's been fun...

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

NOW, NOW, after ALL this time Kensing decides to pitch? COngrats, guys!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | October 4, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

wow. check swing. what a deflating ending after all that.

Still, great, great ending Nats. Hurry back.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

SWIIIIINNGG and a miss! :-)

See y'all next season!

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

You let these Chiefs play ... led by Martin and they find a way to win ... even against a perennial NL power. There was something magical about the Chiefs this year I suppose?

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, I bet those fans hate that third base ump!"

I bet he had to go to the bathroom really, really badly and had to end the game, someway, somehow.

Seven in, seven out. On to the off-season.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Wait til next year!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Taylor hosting Nats Xtra? Did Johnny and Ray fall asleep?

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Holy jeebus that ending nearly gave me a heart attack. Why? Who knows? Feels great to end the season on a W, though. Good momentum going into ST. :)

Posted by: JennX_ | October 4, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

OK, so CHECKED swing and a miss. But who's counting?

The Nats lose their first seven games, and win their final seven. This'll make the offseason a little easier to take.

Bring on the Hot Stove League!

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"Debbie Taylor hosting Nats Xtra? Did Johnny and Ray fall asleep?"

I believe they must have the studio set up for the Ravens. So there's no place for Johnny and Ray to be.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, now we need to send some of our luck JiM's way for the Tigers-Twins playoff game on Tuesday. Go Twins!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"Debbie Taylor hosting Nats Xtra? Did Johnny and Ray fall asleep?"

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 4, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse
************************************

I so hate Mr. Angelos' Shi--y Network. The Nats always play second-fiddle to the Baltimore teams on that network.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 4, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If you think about it, the Nats only played 161 innings last year due to a rain cancellation at the last home game that wasn't made up 'cuz both the and the Marlins were eliminated.

Today's extra six innings is, in essence another official game, so things kinda evened out in the end...

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

OMG, I thought that would never end. Bang! Zoom! Haven't read the comments but hope dargramps was there to see it in person and that he has a fun time with his office mates tomorrow. :-)

I was clicking back and forth to WGN for the Detroit game and then to MLB Network for updates on the Twins game. Happened to catch Rauch getting out of the bases-loaded jam. Attaboy, Wookie!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

So, the Nats finish the season with a 7 game winning streak playing some of the so called AAAA ballplayers the last few weeks of the season. Some of them have shown they can play at this level, and I expect to see them make the 40 man roster next spring (like Ian Desmond).
Riggleman finished with a record of 33 - 42. Does he stay as manager for next year? We shall see. I would give him a chance. The players seemed to respond to him, un-like Manny.

Posted by: bigmook | October 4, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

161 games, not innings. Today's win took out all my self-editing instincts... :-}

Posted by: Juan-John | October 4, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Switching back and forth between NFL games,Det,Twins and of course the Nats,could you believe the call on Conrad that ump must have had reservation's at the Fish Market(local eatery here in the ATL), man that was boderline anyway a sweep now you know i can't wait to get to the office tommorow all i'm going to say is it's a good thing you guy's weren't in the hunt for a wild card cause we would have blown you out LOL! hot stove league starts after Christmas should be fun and i can't say enough about all of my fellow posters on this blog great fun and intelligent and for the most part respectable banter concerning the Nats everyone was great.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Drew8 | October 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Drew8: I'm in the camp of "lets see what he does in JUCO before we annoint him the next best thing."

Posted by: TimDz | October 4, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....like the headline sez, one last time...at least post-game!
Well...if we needed reminding, some of the same promise-and weaknesses-of our youngsters on display here. Desmond swinging and then that gorgeous fielding play. Alberto-well, he had the game-winner.Debbi Tee?....ahh, I think she's married to Dana Brown, so we can forget about THAT updrade(i.e the Baltimore beauty-who can ask questions without sounding as if she's addressing a preschooler.....
Ah, but give it a break, Zendo......already ready for Spring Training......don't wanna get "misty-eyed" but the rhythm of, the river of life....baseball seasons are as good a sporting metaphor as any. My pop is getting up there, and his/my Cards are still in it. How many more chances do we all have to watch the game we love with the people we love...to try to do the next "right thing"....heck, to try to figure out what that IS!
You folks are all GREAT...thanks....love....and of course-
GO NATS!!!!!!

Posted by: zendo | October 4, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

the nats are the hottest team in baseball going into regular season 2010. it was good to end the season on a high note and sweep a division rival in the process. i hope this sprint to the finish doesn't lull rizzo and the front office into a false sense that the talent is better than it really is.

Posted by: surly_w | October 4, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Harper: Fair enough, TimDz. Besides, Harper's first test is to qualify academically. For now, maybe we should change the chant from "Let's Go Nats!" to "GED!"

Posted by: Drew8 | October 4, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

On another note, I know they don't get along and all, but what's the point of having a Creedence Clearwater Revival concert with no John Fogerty? Seriously, why bother.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

And evidently bugers are involved as well. ummm...

---

Golfersal: Lastly, the bugers are OK in the stars and strips club...
=================================================================
There's a strip club at Nats Park?

I need to get to more games.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 4, 2009 3:35 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Two sweeps in a row to end the season -- what joy!! Enjoy the winter, Nats, work hard, and know that we'll be with you and ready in the spring!

Posted by: sbuck | October 4, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"Are you kidding me - 7 straight wins to end the season, and Kensing gets a 6-out save? I'm beside myself. Wow, just Wow!"

"Posted by: BinM | October 4, 2009 5:57 PM"

After a 3 game sweep, followed by a 4 game on the road led by the you-know-whos ... eh Washout? Hmmm, okay so here goes: SU, Carrier Dome, old-town Camillus, Hiawatha Blvd., Solvay Process, Lake Gitchigoomie, Finger Lakes, Milton Ave. and finally BRADORS! Okay so there's also Genesee beer?

Chiefs found ways to continue their winning ways after their season ended even in "the bigs", even with reject, cast off AAAA, so-called, play-uhs ...

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Zendo, that was a really nice message. Despite all the travail the team and the fans went through, I'm so sad to see it end. I don't thnk we see the ST schedule till Dec or Jan. Thanks to Chico & all the folks who post on NJ and most of all to our Nats who hung in there thru hard times. A better year in 2010!

Posted by: Section109 | October 4, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

DH Bob reminds me that we were at the game that ended the 0-7 streak early on, and we were there to help our Nats start this 7-0 streak at the end. Our percentage of games won while we were in Sec311 was higher this year than the Nats's all season. You NEED us, team!

Posted by: sbuck | October 4, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

And just for the record on golfersal and all those posts? It wasn't me ... :)

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"Looking ahead, Bryce Harper turns 17 on October 16. Some pretty fine ballplayers signed their first contract at 17, including the Mick, Doc Gooden and Robin Yount. Dreams of joining that pantheon can keep us going through the dark months."

He just doesn't look like well say Al Kaline to me?

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I just read the Dunn addition and I have to say that's one classy dude.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 4, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

"i hope this sprint to the finish doesn't lull rizzo and the front office into a false sense that the talent is better than it really is.

Posted by: surly_w | October 4, 2009"

They really do need better starting pitching. The relievers seem to fail, get back up and LEARN! So, perhaps that situation is better than everyone deemed? At least as far as the younger prospect types and younger players.

But starting pitching does need to be addressed. And remedied.

As far as the rest? Well look at the job Hodges did with the '69 Mets who's only real hitters were Agee and Jones? The rest of the positions other than catcher and shortstop were all platooned in a pretty strict left-right regimen that. That "halves" made up quite a whole.

Even still that team was all about consistently great, clutch pitching.

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse