Pilates for Nyjer, an MRI for Guzman

Nyjer Morgan is back home in San Francisco now, completely detached from the final days of the 2009 season, excluding some passing curiosity about the stat races.

"Hey," Morgan asked in a recent telephone conversation. "Am I still second [in the National League] in stolen bases?"

He is. Even though he hasn't played since August 27, when he broke his left hand sliding headfirst into third base. (That was the 42nd and final stolen base of his season.) Since heading to the disabled list, Morgan has left behind a Washington Nationals team that misses his speed and defense. And Morgan, whose hand is almost fully recovered, has turned his attention to 2010.

Initially after sustaining the injury, Morgan speculated that he might play winter ball to make up for the lost at bats. But he's since decided against it, preferring to take it easy for the next few weeks before ramping up his training program.

Morgan said he plans to copy the fitness regimen he followed for the first time last offseason, at the recommendation of a Pittsburgh Pirates' trainer. And what, exactly, does this regimen entail?

Pilates. (And yeah, some weightlifting as well.) But mostly Pilates, a yoga-aerobics hybrid that emphasizes balance and core training.

"That's how I stay limber," Morgan said.

Morgan hopes, next season, to maintain the productivity he demonstrated during his time with the Nationals. After arriving in a June 30 trade from Pittsburgh, Morgan transformed the Nationals, filling two of their biggest needs -- centerfield and leadoff. With the Nationals, he batted .351 (67 for 191) with 24 stolen bases. Washington was 22-26 with Morgan in the lineup.

Shortstop Cristian Guzman, unable to play the field because of right shoulder soreness, will undergo an MRI on Monday, general manager Mike Rizzo said. Because of his injury, Guzman has not started a game since September 23 -- though he has still been used as a pinch-hitter. Bec

"We'll see what we find [in the MRI], if anything, and we'll take care of it," Rizzo said. "But whatever it is, he's going to be ready for spring training. What the doctors say -- worst case scenario there's a possible clean-up of the shoulder, but he'd be certain to be ready for spring training."

By Chico Harlan  |  October 3, 2009; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Turner Field
Next: Nats 6, Braves 4

Comments

I wonder if he developed a taste for pirogis while in Pittsburgh? Pilates and piroges for Pirates ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What's on television? I'm so confused. It sounded from the intro like Fox was actually getting ready to show us a meaningful game.

But then as they went to commercial, it sounded like they might be showing an Atlanta game after all.

Wait, aren't the Nats playing in Atlanta?

What's happening to my world?

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: Aren't piroges (and Primanti Bros. sandwiches, for that matter) & pilates at odds with one another?

Posted by: BinM | October 3, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is the Nats annual last Saturday of the season appearance on FOX. Usually, they're playing the Phillies.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@leetee:
I'm suprised they didn't ask for the COL-LAD game to be shifted instead of the WSH-ATL game. Maybe the FOX suits thought that the Dodgers would have wrapped by now.

Posted by: BinM | October 3, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Here in Alaska we're getting the Twins and KC. What is Fox thinking?

Posted by: wigi | October 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

wigi: Greinke vs. the Twins, with the A.L. Central winner still on the line - That's a great game. Consider yourself lucky.

Posted by: BinM | October 3, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

BinM

MLB Network has Rox-Dodgers as second game of DH tonight. White Sox-Tigers is opener.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I just can't get into it... I am spoiled by NL ball.

Posted by: wigi | October 3, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

dargramps

happy b'day. hope you're at the ted rockin' nats gear.

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

would ask where everyone is, but since i just came in, i know the weather is too beautiful to sit in front of a keyboard.

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I was afraid the Detwiler may have had to be pulled before qualifying for the win (fingers crossed).

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

You know if you don't watch the screen, and just listen to the announcers, you'd have no idea the Nats were playing a baseball game against the Braves. Lots of talk about Bobby Cox's career, the playoff matchups, what Joe Buck did last night on Conan O'Brien...

Meanwhile Detwiler has a one-hitter going after five and they barely mention it.

I don't want to hear any more complaints about Carpenter and Dibble, okay?

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 3, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Now they're talking about football.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 3, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

They've said more about Conan O'Brien than all the Nats players combined since I started watching. They seemed honestly surprised when Dunn grounded out into the overshift a couple of innings ago.

Mailing it in a little?

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 3, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Rio de Janiero and the Olympics...

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 3, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if this has been discussed, but it sent me into a laughing convulsion this morning. Is this any way to treat the next manager for the Nats?

"PHOENIX — A new book by a former employee of Alcor, the company that froze Ted Williams' remains, alleges the baseball Hall of Famer's body was mistreated by the company.

Larry Johnson says in the book "Frozen: My Journey Into the World of Cryonics, Deception and Death" that he watched an Alcor official swing a monkey wrench at Williams' frozen severed head to try to remove a tuna can stuck to it. The first swing accidentally struck the head, Johnson contends, and the second knocked the tuna can loose."

Posted by: twinbrook | October 3, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

gawd please

no more villone sightings on the nats mound after tomorrow.

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame me for the above post. Unlike Riggleman, I think Villone is toast.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

right now, villone couldn't get out ted williams' frozen head.

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The 1951 Giants...

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 3, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

McCarver just tabbed Zimmerman for the gold glove...
This coming from the guy who picked the cubs to go to the series...

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I always like some pilates with granola in the morning with my beer...

Posted by: bromisky | October 3, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Note to Bobby Cox

The Nats OWN Peter Moylan. That is all.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

pilates? isn't that where the nats traded swillage and gas canrahan?

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, J-Max!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 3, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

So we have a two run lead again... Is this the MLB version of a mulligan?

Posted by: TimDz | October 3, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Riggs must want to blow the lead again, as he's bringing Kensing in. WHY????

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 3, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

tpic

It's more because of attrition than anything else.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Six in a row! You can suck on it and like it, Atlanta. This season is ending way, way too early. We've just hit our stride. Bourbon and Maalox for all my friends, bartender. J-Max stock is rising faster than Apple.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 3, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, I must admit, Kensing got the job done. Good for him!

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 3, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

kensing with a save? i can't believe what i just saw!

Posted by: surly_w | October 3, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Did ya see the Bobby Cox reaction when JMaxx went deep....made my day.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 3, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Late inning come throughs by Guzman then Maxwell! Good pitching from Bergman. Hope we can get our 7th straight tomorrow!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | October 3, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Did the fox announcers say Maxwell's walk off GS was the first time the Nats have come back from trailing in the 8th in 150 games? Is that right? I feel like we had a comeback win during our 8 game win streak in August?

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | October 3, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Watching this on FOX just felt weird. It was... quiet. Sure Carp yap-yaps and Dibble screams out caveman expressions, but at least they keep their minds in the game better than that crew.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | October 3, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

That is the stat, cheeseburger53. They mentioned it on MASN on Wednesday as well.

Good win for the Nats today on national TV. Too bad I had to endure Lewin and McCarver to see it.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 3, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Amazing - A double-comeback win, a save by Kensing, and six in a row!
By the way, Kensing is still an arsonist.

Posted by: BinM | October 3, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. So I was out all day and came home to find the Nats game results email awaiting me. I opened it and perused the box score. The Nats won in extra innings, 6-4. Wow. Zach Segovia was the winning pitcher. Double wow. Logan Kensing got the save. TILT!

Methinks that dargramps' prediction for our home series vs. the Bravos may be coming to fruition, but in Atlanta. Should be fun tomorrow. hehe.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 3, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I second the birthday wishes for dargramps.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 3, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry but tonight is a perfect example of why the Nats really suck.
When you have a one run lead in the 8th inning you have to hold. The same with the tenth, when you have a two run lead you can't rely on some ten year retread, we have to bring in the real McCoy.

The fun part of 2005 and '06 was that when the Nats had a lead going into the ninth inning you brought on the Chief and I think nine out of ten times he won the game. Since Cordero got hurt we have not had one really good closer, Jon Rauch was close and what did gentleman Jim do, trade him to the Diamondbacks.

Honestly the Nats are never, ever going to be good without good pitching. I know about Strasberg and Stroen but guys I can't stomach another year like this.

I will fire the Nats if they don't take care of things and get better more reliable bull pen help. Yes MacDougal, Bergmann, Villlone and Clippard do the job about half the time but guys we need to not have a 50% bullpen, we need a 90% bullpen so that at this time next year we are 103-58 instead of 58 to 103.

Anyone agree with this, it's the worst part of the Nats and takes the enjoy out of watching baseball.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 3, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"I am sorry but tonight is a perfect example of why the Nats really suck."

Yeah, dang it, I really hate it when they win. Look, Dr. Downer, a win is a win. Today's win proved - on national TV - that they weren't going down without a fight. Earlier this year, we were horrible in extra innings, so it's nice to see us take the lead, not once, but twice in extra frames. I'll take this win any day of the week. Suck on it and like it.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 3, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Soooo i'm riding home from the office when my cell rings and it's the office; damn what is it this time,because everyone was watching Ga.vsLSU when i left except for me and Ron(he's a hardcore Braves fan)and my co-worker who says "we just tied it up" and "i said not for long Roneeee" and i hang up,i finally get home( i work nine miles from my office) just in time to see Guzman put the Nats ahead and i say YES! and then watch in horror as the save is blown but it all ends well as JMAX delivers hey i think Eckstein's suggestion is paying dividend's for JMAX. The kid might have a shot at left or right field next spring.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 3, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@dagregmag: You're so right. The thought of entering the winter with rising stars JMax and Desmond distinct possibilities as starters next year, plus the improved Nyjer working on his Pilates in center (I like mine over cream sauce), Dunn and his 40-120 at 1B, Zimm and his 33-105 at 3B, Goozie floating somewhere, some decent pitching to come, and this thing is not that far away. I admit: I've got a gallon of StanK's kool-aid in the garage.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 3, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

knewpost

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 3, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry but tonight is a perfect example of why the Nats really suck.

Posted by: Golfersal | October 3, 2009 7:59 PM

**************

rachel? is that you?

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

LISTEN GOLFERSAL; You don't have a corner on the Nats and being bummed out by blown saves and other maladies that have befallen our beloved Nats but i like a lot of us who post on this blog are i hope like my dad used to say "in for a dime in for a dollar" and besides this being my b'day don't bumm me out with your whining OKAY PAL? and by the way my pop's (who passed in 2004) would have been ninety one tommorow and taught me everything about this great game of baseball and on a side note can you believe the Tigers and the Dodgers are choking down the stretch, Ernie Harwell,Vin Scully save us, LOL!

Posted by: dargregmag | October 3, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Pierogies, Primanti Bros. and Penn Pilsner, then pilates, per Pirates program.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 3, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse