Strasburg hit hard in second AFL start

Stephen Strasburg, making his second professional experience, dealt for the first time in years with the experience of getting rocked. In Thursday's Arizona Fall League game between Strasburg's Phoenix Desert Dogs and Phoenix Javelinas, Strasburg went 2-2/3 innings, allowing eight runs, seven earned, and three home runs. He gave up seven hits, walking one and striking out four.

How jarring was this performance, which came in the Desert Dogs' 9-6 loss?

In 15 starts and 109 innings earlier this year with San Diego State, Strasburg allowed just 16 total earned runs. He surrendered four homers during his entire junior season.

For Strasburg, the Washington Nationals' No. 1 overall pick, this appearance reinforced some basic truths. A high fastball, no matter how hard it's thrown, doesn't fool anybody. Strasburg's fastball ranged in the high-90s -- he threw at least once that hit 99 mph -- but that pitch, as well as his breaking stuff, stayed up in the zone, according to pitch track data available here.

The first homer he allowed, to Russ Mitchell, came on a 96 mph belt-high inside fastball. The next two, including a third-inning grand slam from the Javelinas' Casper Wells, came on hanging curveballs.

Strasburg overall faced 16 batters, throwing 60 pitches and 36 strikes.

One additional note: Nats' shortstop prospect Danny Espinosa left the game in the first inning with an unspecified injury. Espinosa's injury seemed to come when running into second on a force play. I'll update on this when I get more info.

By Chico Harlan  |  October 22, 2009; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Valentine, Melvin among candidates for Nats job
Next: Acta hired by Cleveland

Comments

DFA Strasburg.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | October 22, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like its Hagerstown for Strasburg. Sorry folks he has a lot to learn. And the AFL is supposed to be AA and above.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Quick, declare defeat and call it wisdom.

(Of course he's starting in the minors, but that should be true even if he is ready mentally. They need to build up his arm regardless)

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 22, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh the humanity of it all. SS gets rocked in the AFL, who wudda thunk it.

Here's the scenario, SS comes to Viera has a good spring everyone anticpates he's coming north with the team, manager Bobby Valentine projects him at the number 5 spot behind Lannen, Lackey, Wolf and Stammen. Expectations are going thru the roof, people are actually paying attention to the lowly Nats.

Hey I can dream!

Truth is SS needs at least a week with the P-Nats, 4 weeks w/the Suns and two weeks with the Chiefs, we will see the youngen around 15 Jun at Natinals Park. Or 3 months split between P-Nats and Suns and 2 months in Syracuse. Have a nice winter SS we'll see you in 2011. Lackey and Wolf ain't coming here and say hello to Lannen, Livo, Detwiller, Stammen and Martin

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 22, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Relax.

This is the minors' best of the best--and he's two years younger than most of them.

The interesting part will be how he handles it.

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | October 22, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

My guess Strasburg spends an entire year in the minors with the ubiquitous September call-up. Storen likely leaves with the team after spring training.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Chico sez: A high fastball, no matter how hard it's thrown, doesn't fool anybody.

No, but a fast highball does.

Bourbon and Maalox are on me tonight, ladies and gents. We'll get through this.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Great...a blown strike call by the ump led to the Yankees scoring six in the 7th inning and so it looks like we'll have a Phillies-Yankees WS. Ho-hum. No more baseball for me this year - wake me up in February...

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 22, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you haven't grown to appreciate Charlie and Dave on the radio, just try listening to a Yankees game with John Sterling and Suzyn Waldron. They're the worst...no chemistry between them at all. And Sterling's home run calls are horrible. Give me Charlie's "Bang! Zoom!" over "An A-Bomb! For A-Rod!" or "It's a Tex message! You're on the Mark, Texiera" or "The Melk-man delivers! That's the Melky way!" any day of the week (there are more, but they're just as bad). Lame, lame, lame. Just do a Google search - even a good number of Yankee fans hate their broadcasters.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 22, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

It actually is fun to listen to Sterling and Waldron when the Yankees are losing - there's an undercurrent of hurt and disbelief that's delicious. Agree with everything you said. Unbelievable to me that they would have such a cornball announcer with such dumb home run calls in a city with such supposed sophistication as New York.

Posted by: utec | October 22, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm truly astonished at how terribly awful the umpires have been during postseason. I'm biased as a Halos fan, sure, but that non strike was a joke. These are the best of the best? Sheesh. Where's Angel Hernandez when you need him. Sorry to complain, I just figured posting my irrelevant opinion would help me avoid destroying my flat screen.

Sec3mysofa, I'm jealous you're catching the AFL. I make it out there for spring training and the combination of quality parks and beautiful weather is awesome.

Congrats to 506, too.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | October 22, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Thuuuuuuh Yankees announcers suck.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 22, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice comeback by the Angels tonight. Back to NY - hopefully the Angels still have some tricks up their sleeves.

And LDO, I completely agree with you about the poor umpiring. The worst was the blown fair/foul call in the Twins-Yankees series, but it's definitely been bad overall.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 23, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see others accurately assess the quality of the Yankees radio team. They are truly awful. I often wonder whether Sterling realizes how idiotic he sounds.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | October 23, 2009 5:43 AM | Report abuse

I went to bed after watching the middle innings, worrying that 4 runs wasn't enough. Glad to hear that the Angels pulled off the win and forced a game 6.

Re. the umps, one of the broadcasters (during the division series, I think) noted that half a dozen of the best crew chiefs hadn't been available in the postseason for various reasons (health issues and so forth). That's beautiful. Just beautiful.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

(Yeah, that was snark, boys and girls.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I remember some professional scout/exec saying that Strasburg would be the best pitcher on the Nats right now. So, 2.2 IP, 7 H 7 ER. That's in the AFL against approx AA talent. Lanan had one outing this year that bad. It was against Milwaukee. So, he makes 33 starts and has one outing that bad against guys like Fielder, Braun, Cameron, etc. Strasburg has what...three outings? And already has an outing like that against AA hitters we've never heard of.

Welcome to reality. I think he'll be fine if he keeps his head together but this whole crap about him being big league ready now is finally exposed as just that, crap. Periculum is right, Hagerstown it is and let him learn how to pitch. I think he'll get it but clearly he has a lot to learn.

Posted by: Avar | October 23, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Avar...If SS pitches for Hagerstown then the Nats traded him to the O's which I don't think they can do for a year. Now if it is Harrisburg, then you have him on the road to the Nats.

Posted by: yankish2 | October 23, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

utec: It actually is fun to listen to Sterling and Waldron when the Yankees are losing
----
Agreed. Such as when the Yankees were losing a few games early this season. Sterling's analysis:

What I don't like now is that the Yankees are losing all kinds of games. Now, you show me a team that's losing all kinds of games, and I'll show you a losing team.

The smugness is annoying, though. Such as Waldman saying it's a shame that Ryan Zimmerman is wasting his career in a place like Washington.

Trust me, I only listen sometimes because I live in an area that thinks it is part of the Yankess market.

And if you have not heard Waldman's gushing over the return of Clemens a few years ago, treat yourself to a good laugh. A quick google search will find it.

Posted by: KenNat | October 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that's just...profound. AFLAC?

In other news, seeing as how the rally monkey doesn't make road trips, maybe Elwood the Awesome Possum will put in an appearance in NY. And maybe a black cat for good measure.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

----------------

One of my favorite personal moments EVER in more than half a century at baseball parks was at RFK on Sunday, June 18, 2006. That's when I turned around to the obnoxious Yankee fans (is that redundant?) in the row behind me as Ryan Zimmerman's come-from-behind walk-off home run landed in the bullpen and told them, ala Sterling, "Yankees LOSE. Thhhhhuuuuuuuuuu Yankees LOSE"

He's an awful broadcaster and I avoid listening to him when I can (and I say that as someone who first got behind a microphone in 1972 and did some NCAA baseball play-by-play back in the 1970's) but someday I'm going to have to find a recording of Sterling's call of that particular bottom of the ninth.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 23, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Yankees radio bashers - her name is Suzyn WALDMAN. And yes, she and Sterling ARE terrible. Be grateful for Charlie and Dave.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 23, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

That series is one of my personal highlights as well, particularly games 2 and 3. The fans in the row in front of us left game 2 early, thinking that the win was in the bag, and asked us for directions to Georgetown. They were going to find a venue where they could watch the rest of the game on tv. Hope they enjoyed seeing the comeback. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Donnie Baseball would straighten him out in no time. The Man with The Golden Glove is the answer to our managerial search. DONNIE BASEBALL! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Is that rain outside, or is the sky falling?

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 23, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Re: Strasburg
You mean, he isn't the Savior? Judging by the reports before his signing with the Nats, you'd think that Strasburg would walk on water or (to mix my supernatural metaphors) pull a Yoda on opposing batters and make batters miss the pitched ball through the power of the Force or something ...

Re: Radio broadcasters
The Nat's Dave and Charlie are excellent, among the best in all of baseball. The Yankees broadcasters are sub-par (to put it nicely). TBS should've hired Charlie and Dave to call their post-season games.

PS. Go Phillies! Go Angels!

Posted by: chrisduckworth | October 23, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankish2 | October 23, 2009 8:23 AM
________________________________________
Yankish2----you need to get with the times. Hagerstown is the Nats Low-A club, the Delmarva Shorebirds are the O's Low-A club. Been that way for a couple of seasons. Hagerstown has been out of the O's orbit for awhile.

Posted by: sazzwho | October 23, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry...I knew her name was Waldman, I don't know why I typed Waldron (a brain fart, I guess). And, KenNat, thanks for mentioning her over-reaction to the return of Clemens. She is in tears, and it's hilarious to listen to. Definitely a good laugh...

Posted by: BGinVA | October 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@BGinVA...You must be a St. John's grad. Doonie Waldron was their Baseball coach for years (decades?).

Let's not put the current Yankees broadcasters down too much. Remember that these are the successors to Phil Rizzuto, the only man to actually whine his way into the HOF. Anyone is good compared to him.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | October 23, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Funniest thing is Susan Waldman grew up in New England as SAWK fan but got a gig in the early 90's on Sports Radio 66 WFAN New York and by some enlightment traded her B hat for Pinstripes. Now she has been sitting next to a guy who came to New York via Atlanta, so go figure.

"Ball game over, World Series over, Sterling over, Yankees lose, thuuuuuugh Yankees lose"!

Anybody else just sick of seeing Borasses Cherubic face for three nights staring right back at you behind the catcher and the ump. Add Pat Sajeck and it was almost insufferable to watch. Geez tell me Borass knew he was on the tube, he would be leaning against the wall so that he wouldn't be obscured from the camera behind the batter, catcher and ump. Gosh at least at Yankee Stadium we'll see Kate Hudson and Kirk Russell

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

BA's Jim Callis held a chat on Wednesday that featured this exchange:

Tim (Durban South Africa)

Could Nationals go with Taillon or Ranaudo over Harper?

Jim Callis (2:12 PM)

Sure they could. I'll do a column on this at some point, but I don't think it's far-fetched to conceive of Bryce Harper falling out of the first round. It's going to be almost impossible to live up to the hype, and if he falls short and is looking for big money--is Strasburg's contract a starting point--he may scare off clubs, who know he can re-enter the 2011 and 2012 drafts and still have lots of leverage. It's also possible that after spending $15.1 million on Strasburg, the Nationals don't want to spend huge money on another No. 1 overall pick.

Posted by: BobLHead | October 23, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....just a note.As I sit here listening to all 'Skins all the time on the radio....imagine if Straz were a heralded rookie for the football team. Imagine the chatter! I can only hope that one day the Nats will command enough attention to at least merit an OCCASIONAL discussion. What gets me is that we're dismissed, laughed off as terrible-ineptly run, bad mgmt., crummy ownership- yet these self-same attributes when it concerns the football team, in extremis...well, y'all know where I'm going here.What a joke.And granted, the early returns ain't been encouraging-but honestly, I have to like our chances of turning things around better than the forlorn 4-Skins. Maybe their travails will give the Slow Lerners a clue as to how NOT to act as owners!(By all accounts, on a personal level the Lerners appear to be cut from wholly different clothe than the Danny). So take heed!AND take advantage.One need look no farther than the two closest franchises up I-95 for further instruction on what and what not to do.
Oh, and one other bit-BinM-yea, I know there are other "major" teams in DC.Actually had season tix to United for a time. I didn't mean to disparage them-only the almost total domination in the media by the Redskins.Sorry if I wasn't clear on that...and what with the commercials, the relentless hype, the injuries...the NFL is really losing a lot of its' luster for me.Like Brittanny Spears and all of her ilk-relentlessly hyped as THE top of the heap...I'd rather listen to Coltrane. And I'm finding that those other"major" leagues I neglected to mention are actually rising in my personal definition of the term! In other words, I totally agree with you!(Course, you probably don't even remember the posts-twas a ways back!But mea culpa....)
And, of course....
Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | October 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

There is zero chance that a radio station owned by Dan Snyder is going to fair and equal treatment to a baseball team that competes for discretinary spending in the DC area. They will continue to ignore, mock, disparage, and pass wind in our general direction....

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 23, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I have a question about the "Chatter" blog at the Wash Times. I enjoyed Zuckerman's story about the Angels--Yankees game but, has been the case with all entries I've seen on that blog, no one had written any comments as far as I could tell. Am I missing something? Why wd there be no comments?

Posted by: Section109 | October 23, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you comment on the Times blog yourself instead of commenting here about their lack of comments?

Posted by: section309 | October 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

zendo: I remember the basics - my post was meant as a gentle poke at you (and others) regarding some of the other teams "worth watching" in the area.

I do wish there was more balance to the reporting and coverage in the media (paper, local TV & radio). But, it's self-fullfilling in a way - the loudest voices in the crowd scream for 'skins coverage, so that's what we get 24-7; Sadly, to the near-exclusion of nearly everything else.

I only wish the local sports-yak stations would do some programming pointed at the other sports. Would it kill them to do 1-2 hour shows weekly on Baseball, Hockey, Basketball & Soccer?

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

BinM; they did. Phil-D-Wood had a 2 hour baseball gig over on the Snyder station for about 2 years and then he was shown the door with no explanation when the station expanded.

Caps and Wiz get honerable mentions if the host of whatever show remembers that we have a NHL and NBA team in town. Even that has a touch of Snyder, when the Caps got good what do you think happened, yupper Smokin-Al-Kokin was shown the door.

In all honesty its going on year 6 and nothing has changed when it comes to the Nats. I recently sent an email to the PM over at the old JFK and told the guy that they should just say they are a Football station and stop the charade about using the term "sports". His response was, the same that we have gotten from the WAPO, TEM, blah, blah, blah. According to our research no one is interested in ___________ (fill in the blanks).

I was slighty encouraged though yesterday, when I read Thom Boz's chat and he said that now is the time for the areas's other teams to strike while the iron is hot, if they didn't then they must be crazy! Hear that Uncle Ted and Son!

Need a baseball fix, tune in XM144 Mad Dog radio or XM 175 MLB Homeplate, great stuff!
Stay away from ESPN and FoxSports Radio they cow-tow to the same NFL garbage nearly everyday!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 23, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

From mlb trade rumors talking about if Hudson inks a deal with the Braves:

"If the sides do work out a deal, ESPN.com's Buster Olney expects the Braves to consider dealing Kenshin Kawakami or Derek Lowe."

Rizzo! Get Derek Lowe! Get Derek Lowe. He is smokin'. And he pitches good too. =)

Posted by: NatsNut | October 23, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo! Get Derek Lowe!
Posted by: NatsNut | October 23, 2009 5:14 PM
--------------------
NN: I'd second that (at least the part I quoted) - I whined & pined for him to be the anchor for this staff last year, when he didn't cost anything but $$$. Don't know what the Braves would be asking for at this point.

In other news, the Nationals announced that the following players have been outrighted to SYR - Jamie Burke (C), & Jorge Padilla (OF). I believe they have 72 hours to either accept the assignment / demotion, or decline and become Free Agents. (from the mlb.com Transaction line, 10/23/09).

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Tippy: Since local (D.C. metro) sports radio has become overwhelmingly stilted toward the local pro football franchise (you know, the one that dresses in burgundy & gold), I might just have to buy myself an XM home reciever.

Just seems a shame to have to pay more for a little variety; The old model seemed to be pay more for the "specialized" information, while the general stuff was either free or readily available at a low cost.

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Now, Ray *Walston* could get them the power hitter they need.

**************
Posted by: BGinVA | October 23, 2009 10:01 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 23, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Javelinas @ Scottsdale Scorpions tonight. My red-headed (actually more auburn these days) Cubs fan wife suggested I could get tossed from Scottsdale, too, if a ball goes onto the grass. We'll see.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 23, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read how many more of you are gaining a true appreciation for Charlie & Dave this post-season; That pairing can make even a bad game worth listening to (and there have been a few of those over the brief years).
The NYY radio crew = Ugh, not good; The LAA team is better, and closer to neutral in their call as well. I'll admit to listening to only the Dodgers' feed in the NLCS - Scully (home) & Steiner (road) was either steady with occaisional snark (Steiner) or an absolute radio treasure who still delivers (Scully) - I'll miss their voices moving forward. Guess I'm stuck listening to the Phillies' feed for the NL side of things.
Thinking back to Spring Training & listening to some of the other broadcast teams (when C&D weren't providing feed), the StL team (Mike Shannon in particular) stood out as really less than ML quality.

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

This afternoon in AZ, the Desert Dogs drop another game in the standings. Today they were taken down by the Suprise Rafters in a 15-12 game, where BOTH teams scored eight runs in the 7th inning!

Nationals of note:
Marrero(DH) - 1/5(single), 1RS, 1RBI, 1SO.
Storen(CL) - 1.2IP, 16pitches, 10strikes, 1K, 3GO/1FO.

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, the Phoenix starting rotation seems to be firming up as: Ray (RHSP-TOR), Talbot (RHSP-TB), Strasburg (RHSP-WSH), Simmons (RHSP-OAK), & either Tanaka (RHSP-BAL) or Erbe (RHSP-BAL).
The bullpen shapes up like this: Gonzalez (RHRP-TOR) & Gamboa (RHRP-BAL) & the unscheduled SP in long relief; Wilkie (RHRP-WSH), Phillips (RHRP-TB), Rollins (RHRP-TB), & Friend (RHRP-OAK) in middle relief; Mandel (RHRP-WSH), Yanuki (RHRP-NPL), Demel (RHRP-OAK), Gorgen (RHRP-TB), & Katayama (LHRP-NPL) in setup roles, and Storey (RHRP-OAK), Perrault (RHRP-BAL), & Storen (RHRP-WSH) in closer roles.

I'm suprised that there are so few LH pitchers on this roster (1 of 12), but personally pleased that two Utah-born kids (Talbot & Perrault).

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm suprised that there are so few LH pitchers on this roster (1 of 12), but personally pleased that two Utah-born kids (Talbot & Perrault) are on the roster.

Just to finish the thought - next time, I'll try to proof read before hitting 'submit'.

Posted by: BinM | October 23, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I would have subscribed to XM a long time ago if I thought I could get Charlie and Dave on it.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 23, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

sec3, sounds like your wife is looking out for you. BTW, didja hear that there's another RHCFW in the mix now? Yep, that would be Mrs. 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

And I can confirm the second portion of NatsNut's scouting report on Lowe. So does that make me a crosschecker or what? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. It was the first part of the report I meant to validate. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

heh, heh. We can pick em 1a.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

teehee

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 23, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut; be advised you can listen to Charlie Slowes and Dave Jaegler on XM.

With your subscription you get MLB Homplete on XM-175 and you also get every live game broadcast (all 162), the only problem is...., C&D are on when the Nats are home, when they are on the road you get the home-team feed, however XM has been saying that next year they are going to chnage that and do 2 feeds for each game. We shall see. Of course this still beats WFED which I can barely get in the car. Ballgame, radio, car ahh I'm in heaven!

To all; XM is a great respite from the useless WTEM and the former WJFK. If you love all sports (like I do) then XM is your ticket. They also do all the NHL and NBA games, College football/Basketball by Conference, of course the only thing that you have to pay additional for is the NFL package, which I opted not to.

Channel wise its superior to anything local. XM144 is Mad Dog Radio w/Christopher Russo who came over from the most successful Sports Talker in the country (Sports Radio 66 WFAN New York), he also brought with him a bunch of guys who love baseball as much as he does and we do, so for the past month they have given the playoffs the attention they deserve.

You also get the million pound gorilla AKA ESPN and ESPN Xtra, some of it is pretty good but the bulk of it is garbage. FOX Sports Net is good when Dan Patrick is on, the rest is again chock filled with NFL talk, and the AM show is Czaban's which is just unlistenable.

I was disappointed that the CAPS are still stuck on WFED, I thought that maybe the old JFK would pick it up meaning that the Nats would follow. A few months back the rumour was that Bonneville was going to buy 107.3 and 105.9 and turn at least one of those into a Sportie, maybe Uncle Ted will become a partner with that just to get a better signal. Nothing better then hearing "Gary from Gainsville" everynight on Nats Talk Live, oh lord just shoot me!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 23, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll second everything TippyCanoe said about XM. It's well worth every penny. I had not heard that they are planning to offer both home and away feeds next season; if that's true, that's great news. I can't pick up WFED in my car after dark here in western Fairfax County, so if it's an away game, my choices are static with a little C&D mixed in, or the opposing team's feed. I agree that StL's announcers are pretty bad, and I have found the Mets' team to be pretty good (their radio team, that is!). I'm hoping that Nats won't follow the Caps' lead in renewing with Bonneville unless B'ville can acquire a decent non-WTOP FM signal for airing the games. We'll see...

FYI...my girlfriend is not a red-headed Cubs fan, but rather a blond-headed Yankees fan(!). I give her crap all the time, but if the Yankees do make it to the WS (I secretly hope they won't), I will root for them over the Phillies. By the way, for the playoffs, XM offers the home team, away team and national (ESPN) feeds. I will NOT listen to the Yankees feed! In addition to everything else everyone's mentioned, John Sterling's as bad as Bob Carpenter when it comes to deep flyouts. "It is high! It is far! It is...caught on the warning track."

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 23, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Ex-Nats in the news: Acta has a second interview with the Houston, too:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Ex-Nats in the news: Acta has a second interview with Houston, too:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Comment submission. Heh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Vote for Zimmerman:

Now, about that Gold Glove award. Bwahahahaha!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Uh, laughing at the thought of stuffing the ballot box. Not that he shouldn't get a Gold Glove. Dang. Where's my coffee?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

the best part of listening to MLB on XM is that dweeb holden kushner no longer seems to be as prominent on the channel. the channel is ALL baseball ALL the time and occassionally replays regular-season and post-season games from years past. would love it if both home and road feeds are available next season. i live in silver spring and can't get C & D's over-the-air broadcasts but it comes in clearly on sat rad.

Posted by: surly_w | October 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

For those who might be considering an AFL trip (wish I could but it's not in the cards for this year), SABR is holding its first AFL conference from November 12-14. Here's a link in case you might be interested in attending one or more days of the conference:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...as i recall, Mark Stern used to do a one hour baseball show on Saturdays....mebbe around 9am? Used to listen on my way to work. Back in the halcyon days of '05 and '06 when this town was clearly ready to embrace our new franchise. Before the abysmal last three years.....Stern (i.e. "Nigel") made no bones about his love of the "Sawx" but was eager to embrace the Nats and tooted baseball in general.But the tail wags the dog-or maybe not. Saw Peter King on PBS with Charlie whats-his-name and he said NFL teams get 60% of their revenue from TV.Where am I going with this?-I don't know, but the Saturday a.m. program for football betting on our local radio.....versus an hour once a week on the Nats....nahhh! Might chip away at Dannys' other venture...the soap opera "As the World Collapses" a.k.a the 4-Skins.Maybe the Lerners could buy a station-to compete with MASN, huh?-or just buy an hour on 1500 once a week to give us Charlie,Dave et al. Ya know, promote their-and our-TEAM! But based on their efforts at promotion and marketing so far......oh, well. Least we have a franchise to root for that has nowhere to go but up. Methinks the 4-Skins have plenty of bottom to explore still!
Go Nats....!

Posted by: zendo | October 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

****************************************

That's because he does the evening shift on 106.7. I haven't listened to his show, so I don't know how bad it is, but I wasn't a big fan of him on XM.

Posted by: thepostischeap | October 24, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

thepostischeap; don't waste your time on Holden Kushner, the guy is a complete sellout. I usaully catch the train home from work but on occasions I have to drive my old clunker (no XMradio) so I spin around the dial and will catch a few seconds of his show (thats about all one can stand). This is something he said about a month ago to a caller that made me pissed.

He actually told the guy that he was glad to be doing another gig because after three years on MLB XM-175 he was tired of the "persecution complex" that baseball fans have, huh? Then he goes on to say that his #1 is College BasketBall, then the NFL and then baseball only because he's on XM-175 and has to talk about it.

He did an interview on XM last Saturday w/Tony Plush and was blatently disrespectful to TP and the Nats. Kushner told Plush that Rob Dibble had been named the Nats new manager. Plush said what? where did that come from? After a few yukes, Kushner goes on to ask TP why would he want to be on a team that plays in a baseball deadzone. Plush came back with a good response, he said I used to play in Pittsburgh you can't be any deader then that! Kushner then made the usual stupid comments about DC baseball struggles and told TP that when he got back to town for "fan fest" he wanted to hangout. Imagine that!

So when I say he is a sell out I'm refering to his words, not mine. On top of that the guy is not from here yet for the few minutes that I heard him on the old JFK you would have thought the dude had been here since 1971, expounding the glory of the B&G. Disgusting if you ask me.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 24, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This comment was intentionally left blank.

Posted by: Scooter_ | October 24, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

This space for rent.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

First, there is a comment.
Then, there is no comment.
Then, there is.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 24, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Interesting finish for the Javelinas @ Scottsdale Scorpions last night. Peoria couldn't get anything going, losing 7-0, top of the ninth. Four walks, a HBP, three Scorpion pitchers, and some screaming liners to the wall later, tied at 7, they leave the go-ahead run at second, and immediately give it back in the bottom of the ninth. Doesn't anybody here know how to throw strikes?

But the interesting part was the two pitchers, one from the Yomiuri Giants, and one from the Hanshin Tigers. I didn't know the Japanese league had players in the AFL.

Side note: they were having an auction for the Pat Tilman Foundation at the park during the game. Apparently, Frank Robinson made a few calls for them and got some autographed jerseys, bats, and balls from various MLB players to auction for the benefit of the foundation. Wasn't there himself, alas--I would have liked to shake his hand one more time. Signed jerseys from Jeter and Howard seemed to get the most attention, among about a dozen others. I was afraid the Zimmerman might get ignored in the shuffle, so I stuck up for our boy and for DC with an early bid. By the sixth inning, with 15 min. to go, I was still the only bid on it ($150) and I was starting to think I would have some 'splainin to do, but no, I needn't have worried (not that a signed Zimm jersey for $150 would have been a catastrophe). I was kinda disappointed, actually.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 24, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

ew. and ouch.

"...was eager to embrace the Nats and tooted baseball... "

Posted by: zendo | October 24, 2009 11:01

Posted by: NatsNut | October 24, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, NatsNut. That's gotta hurt.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 24, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....I almost fell outta my chair at work!!!!! Ha Ha .....I'm still smiling this a.m. Guess I shoulda proofed for "touted". Bravo, Natsnut! Good thing he wasn't tooting about football.
See? Baseball makes you smile all year long
Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | October 25, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

After hitting my normal sources for Nationals' news, the only "fresh" item I turned was last nights' AFL result - PHO 7, SCO 3.
Nationals of note:
Espinosa (SS) - 1/3, 1BB, 2RS.
Marrero (1B) - 1/3, 1BB, 1SO, 2RBI; 1E.
Mandel (RP) - 1IP, 3H, 1ER, 1K.

Sec3: If you're going to stay in AZ next week, next week's starters for PHO (Mon-Sat) look like Ray, Talbot, Strasburg, Simmons, Erbe; lather, rince, repeat.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Since it might be a while before we get a new thread, here's a tossup for you - Of the Nationals' players eligible for arbitration this off-season, who would you bring back? (list from Cot's Baseball Contracts website).

Washington Nationals - Arbitration eligible players
Player pos yrs. service
Jesus Flores c 2.158 ("super-2")
Wil Nieves c 3.092
Pete Orr inf 3.256
Josh Willingham of 4.123
Scott Olsen lhp 4.101
Jason Bergmann rhp 3.069
Sean Burnett lhp 3.085
Logan Kensing rhp 4.022
Mike MacDougal rhp 5.143
Saul Rivera rhp 2.590 ("super-2")

Here's my call...
Tender contracts to Flores, Nieves, Willingham, Bergmann, Burnett, & MacDougal (a "yes").
On the fence about Orr (a "maybe").
Non-tenders to the following: Olsen, Kensing, Rivera (a "no").
Anyone care to discuss?

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Manny Acta!!! Best of wishes to you in Cleveland. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/acta-to-manage-indians.html) I'm sorry it didn't work out here in DC. I think you will do better in the American League. I'll be in Cleveland next June (following the Nats)and will see you then.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | October 25, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@BinM:
I'll take the bait.

Jesus Flores c 2.158 ("super-2")
Wil Nieves c 3.092
Josh Willingham of 4.123
Sean Burnett lhp 3.085
Saul Rivera rhp 2.590 ("super-2")

Maybe:
Scott Olsen lhp 4.101
Jason Bergmann rhp 3.069

Logan Kensing rhp 4.022
Pete Orr inf 3.256

Other:
Mike MacDougal rhp 5.143 ($3.75M club option ($0.35M buyout)) - for that, I would say no.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | October 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, big game. If the info there is correct, I also wish Manny well in his new life, and I'll be rooting for his team when they aren't playing the Nats (as will my octogenarian aunt, who is a long-time Cleveland fan).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the report was correct (see piece linked to below, from the Plain Dealer). Evidently Acta turned down an offer from the Astros to take this one. It would seem that those who said he'd not sniff another manager job for a long time, if ever, were off base.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

There's also an announcement on the team site.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's one way to get a new post. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

NNNO-OOOoo-ooooo - This is all wrong! Manny was supposed to take the HOU job, allowing Valentine to take the position in CLE, clearing the way for the Nationals to select a Manager, rather than a celebrity.
Crap - now I need to hope that the Lerner's aren't swayed by reputation (& "name value") alone.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a new post.

Posted by: BinM | October 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"A high fastball, no matter how hard it's thrown, doesn't fool anybody."

------------------
This is completely false.... a high STRAIGHT fastball, no matter hard it's thrown, doesn't fool anybody.

Look at the high cut fastball that Mariano Rivera has been throwing his whole major league career, every hitter knows it coming and most still cannot hit it for more than a bloop single!

As for the managerial side of things, good luck to Manny, Cleveland is planning to spend a lot of years on the bottom because they do not have the weapons to keep up with the Twins and Tigers. As for the next Nats manager....I say go with Riggleman for the next two years with an option for a 3rd year, I would love to see someone from the Torre tree like Pena or Mattingly take control of the Nats but not right right now, maybe in two to three years.

Posted by: markfd | October 26, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse