Strasburg Start No. 2: 3 IP, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K

In his second start as a professional, No. 1 draft pick Stephen Strasburg showed at least a glimpse of the dominance for which he became known in college. Pitching in the Florida Instructional League against the Astros, Strasburg went three innings, allowing two hits and one earned run. He walked none and struck out six.

The Nationals are handling Strasburg with caution, giving his arm plenty of time to regain its endurance after a summer away from pitching. In his debut on Monday, Strasburg went two innings.

This was last outing for Strasburg before he heads to Phoenix for the Arizona Fall League, which begins on Oct. 13.

By Chico Harlan  |  October 10, 2009; 6:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Dismiss Cardenal
Next: Raise Your Hand If ....

Comments

OK, then, everyboard aboard SWA to Sky Harbor Airport. Phoenix, here we come. Destination: the postseason.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 10, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Dysfuncional toxic managers the Nats are not. Soon it will be this team and not the Redskins that will be held in high regard.

Posted by: periculum | October 10, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Hello.....The Nats held on to Jimbo for as long as they could. Well past when any well run team would have. If Jim Bowden is not the definition of Toxic Management I do not know what is.

I think Ted and Mark Lerner have a lot to prove before we can forget the last 3 1/2 years!

Posted by: JayBeee | October 10, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

One more time ...

Jimmy, it's on!
(even tho I'm not on SWA for this trip)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 10, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's us do a class trip to Florida. Pick a date!

Posted by: sbuck | October 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

If Jim Bowden is not the definition of Toxic Management I do not know what is.

Posted by: JayBeee
==========================================================
Um, Jim Bowden is gone, last I checked. Let us all know when DC's football team gets a new GM.

And maybe a new owner. At least with the Lerners, you get the sense they may learn someday that their job consists solely of smiling for the cameras and signing the paychecks. They obviously already understand the part that involves S-ing TFU.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

On another note: Belli, Belli, Bell-iard! Congrats to Belli and the rest of Torre's Dodgers, except for that weird, dreadlocked gal who plays out in left field - what's up with her, anyway? What? Oh. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 10, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

As a transplanted New Yorker and lifelong (and still) Yankees fan, and as a current Nats fan, I should be cheering for the Dodgers, what with Don Mattingly and Joe Torre sitting on their bench and Ronnie Belliard on the field.

But I hate the Dodgers. I hate the Dodgers with a passion. I hate the Dodgers only a little less than I hate Osama bin Laden. A LITTLE less.

In fact, I hate California, except for Lake Tahoe and certain wines that come out of California (it's something personal that I don't care to get into but I don't ever want to see her again). If the Red Sox come back from the brink and end up sweeping the Yankees with four consecutive 10-0 no-hit games, with David Ortiz hitting a grand slam each game moments after injecting himself with HGH right at home plate, I'll still cheer for the Sawx over the Dodgers and pray that Terry Francona slays the entire Dodgers lineup with a Gatling gun moments after whatever celebrity throws out the first pitch.

Except for Torre and Mattingly and Belliard; bullets in the spines causing permanent paralysis will suffice for them.

I hatehatehatehate the Dodgers.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

No, really, gilbert, tell us how you really feel.

Posted by: swang30 | October 10, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I hatehatehatehate the Dodgers.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Um, o-kay.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 10, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

DDoouubbllee ppoosstt,, bbuutt II rreeaallllyy hhaattee tthhee DDooddggeerrss eennoouugghh ttoo ppoosstt iitt ttwwiiccee..

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I've been drinking tonight, in case it isn't obvious.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

So...you dated Alyssa Milano? Just kidding.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I've never been THAT drunk.

I hate Hollywood, too, maybe even more than the Dodgers. This causes a little bit of friction with my wife.

We both like petit sirah.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

hehe

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 10, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I have to go to bed before I start talking about what I was doing in Dallas on November 22, 1963...

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 10, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good call, Gil, although as a long-time Giants fan, good on 'ya.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 10, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Perc...redskins held in high regard, that is so yesterdays news. Up next....Nat Fever, catch it.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 10, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

gilbert....was that you in the zapruder film??

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 10, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I add my congrats and best wishes to Belli. A stolen base, for goodness sake! Geez, he must think he's in heaven, looking back to June or so.

And I hope my enduring antipathy for the Yankees cancels out Gilbert's hatred for the Dodgers. Douglass Wallop, fellow Terrapin, God Bless you.

Posted by: nats24 | October 11, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I like turtles.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 11, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy for you, Sec3.

Posted by: nats24 | October 11, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Strasburg 2:

3 IP, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K

The horror. The horror.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | October 11, 2009 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Douglass Wallop, fellow Terrapin, God Bless you.
======================================================
Heh heh heh... Even as a Yankee fan, I love that book. You DO remember who was the world's biggest Yankees fan in that book, don't you, lad?

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 11, 2009 5:37 AM | Report abuse

Gil, I'm impressed. Drinking and ranting at 10:30, up and cheerful at 5:30. You've got style and stamina, man.

But I worry about you just a little. If it turns out to be Phils-Dodgers in the NLCS, are you gonna be able to watch at all?

Posted by: utec | October 11, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Buster Olney this morning entertains the idea that LaRussa (and Dave Duncan) may be done in St. Louis, and then reviews teams that may be interested in LaRussa..including our very own Nationals.

Any thoughts? Dare (or should?) we dream? Olney points out the obvious--that LaRussa may not be interested in coaching a team that may not be ready to win.

Posted by: jfromPG | October 11, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe for one minute that St.Louis hierarchy would get rid of LaRussa and Duncan, okay maybe Duncan(still pissed off about the treatment of his son by the team)but certainly not LaRussa and NO! he wouldn't come here i mean why would he? too much would be expected of him, but man they are bummimg in St.Louis today my ex-partner called me from St.Louis yesterday morning talking about a Cardinal comeback and then last night he called about as down as a lifelong fan could be he told me "this ranks right up there with 1968 collapse against the Tigers" I told him "at least you guys made the playoffs" he didn't want to hear it so i told him go have a few and maybe next year.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Olney's just associating names with openings. St. Louis just had a bad week at the worst possible time; that doesn't mean that LaRussa & Co. will pack it in.
-----------------
In other news, I personally wouldn't mind a LAA-LAD World Series. Next to no chance of weather delays, two good teams, and it would mean the $pankees & Redsux Nation have to sit this one out.

Posted by: BinM | October 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Can Strasburg play quarterback?

Posted by: 6thandD | October 11, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

hehe, and the Nation pulls up a whole lot of pine. I can't believe that Papelbon blew it. Wow. It was weird when the door on the green monster opened. Maybe it was the spirit of Man-Ram? Hope that the WaPo chapter of the Nation is hanging in there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Could this be an all L.A. series? Its a possibility I really hadn't thought would happen....but, well, perhaps. Gilbert...just relax.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

That possibility occurred to me this afternoon as well, coked.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised to see LaRussa get sacked. He gets the Cards into the playoffs but almost always chokes once they get there, by overmanaging and putting the pressure on his team. Boswell spotted this tendency a few years ago. You can get rich by going to Vegas and betting against Boswell's picks and against LaRussa's Cardinals.

And coke, even though I hate the Dodgers with a blinding passion that knows few if any bounds, and have no love for California except for Tahoe and the places where they make wine (the best petit sirah in the world comes from the Bay area), I'd cheer for the Angels over Satan's spawn Dodgers.

Redskins help another winless team get in the plus column today. Anyone think the Redskins will get their next winning season before the Nats get their first?

Anyone care to make the argument that the Nats are more poorly run than the Redskins? Hehhehhehhehheh.

Chico, time for a new post; how are we supposed to talk America's Game without you priming the pump for us?

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 11, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Gilbertbp wrote: Drinking a '07 Cotes du Rhone tonight. I didn't say ALL the good wine comes from the left coast.

Personally, my favorite vintage is a tasty 2009 Maalox with lots and lots of cheap bourbon. How many folks are staying up for the late, late, late Rockies-Phils show? Let's go ROX...

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | October 11, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

LaRussa won't get sacked. He could decide to quit, though.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 11, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

MLB.com reporting that Dana Brown is leaving Nats to head for the Great White North and the BJ's.

Posted by: leetee1955 | October 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

the breakup of the bungling bowden boys continues....

Posted by: surly_w | October 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Now it falls to the Angels to prevail over the evil empire. Sorry, JiM, if you're out there. That tiebreaker game was one of the most exciting ever, if it's any consolation.

Gilbert, I grew up in Cali, so at least a few good things are grown there, if I do say so myself.

Re. Brown: What, Costco didn't have any openings? Oh. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 11, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Sunshine/jd: nah. I have to work tomorrow. Have fun though (go, Rocks!!).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

If the Rocks prevail, only one team east of the Mississippi will be left, and I can't stand them. I don't have a horse in this race, but I guess I'll pull for Belly and Dodger blue since I have relatives in L.A. Sorry Gilbert, ouch...ok, I'll root for the Angels if the if the Dodgers get knocked out. Springtime in Viera can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: cokedispatch | October 11, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Yanks and Halo's should be nice,Angels finally exorcised the demons and "red sox nation" is pretty bummed out (gotta love that)Angels will have to play at the top of their game to beat the Yanks but i like their chances this is going to be a great series.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 12, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The Firings are just starting....once Instructional League ends and WS is over....Boone, Spin, Riggs and all the coaches save Eckstien will be fired.

Rizzo is going to change 50% of the baseball side of the front office. That is the tipping point needed to change the culture of losing is expected.

Posted by: JayBeee | October 12, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

New post, from the (original) blog mom.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 12, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

the erstwhile Blogmother, even ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 12, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, I hate the Yankees more than you hate the Dodgers and California.

Posted by: smirkman | October 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse