Valentine, Melvin among candidates for Nats job

As their managerial search gains traction, the Washington Nationals have compiled a list of candidates that includes Los Angeles Dodgers bench coach Don Mattingly and former big league managers Bobby Valentine and Bob Melvin. Mattingly told reporters on Tuesday that he's been approached by the Nationals, who are interested in an interview. Sources both within and outside the organization confirmed the interest in Valentine and Melvin, though certainly the team's list goes deeper than three.

Read more here.

By Chico Harlan  |  October 21, 2009; 4:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Nats ask for permission to interview Mattingly
Next: Strasburg hit hard in second AFL start

Comments

Just my two cents, which is actually one more than I have, but the Nats need the best baseball man possible, one who emphasizes the fundamentals and is good at player development; but they also need someone "sexy"--not People magazine sexy, but someone with some credibility that might energize the fan base. I like Riggleman, but he is not that guy. Bobby V and perhaps Mattingly might be those guys. Now is the time, with the professional football team in chaos, to make some noise.

Posted by: jfromPG | October 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I definitely agree that the Redskins have given the Nats a real opportunity. I also see the advantage of a sexy choice, which would send me more to Valentine than Mattingly, because of experience.

+1/2St.

PS- I had not heard the Melvin part yet.

Posted by: kevincostello | October 21, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, how 'bout Cotton Fitzsimmons?

Posted by: truke | October 21, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Strictly for the entertainment value, you've got to like Melvin. It'll make every night's lineup posting on NJ a new adventure.

Posted by: TomServo | October 21, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

With Riggleman, Mattingly, Valentine, and Melvin on the list, there has to be at least one more candidate due to the MLB version of the Rooney Rule. (Chico - don't forget to mention that in your story ;))

Mike at NatsFanboyLooser has a good candidate to fill out the slate in Terry Pendleton. Might actually be the best man for the job.

Posted by: WebberDC | October 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

looking forward to the don't get its actually hiring a baseball REPORTER stead of a baseball RITER. today's first post is more than 24 hours late and if anybody here actually reads other media outlets, BOTH ESPN.com and SI.com had the valentine and melvin information last week. this is embarrassing to post this stuff as "news."

Posted by: surly_w | October 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't know that I'm crazy about the thought of Valentine as a Manager, but I'd like to have the Nationals pick his brain regarding NPL players & Pacific-rim scouts.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Is there an MLB version of the Rooney rule? I'm not sure there is. Might just be one of Selig's "guidelines", like draft slot numbers. And we all know how well that is enforced.

For instance, who else did the Orioles interview before they handed interim manager Dave Trembly the permanent job in 2007? (Ironically, on the same day they lost 30-3.)

Posted by: nunof1 | October 21, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

nunof: If the hire comes from inside the orginization, no additional interviews are required.
There may be "diversity guidelines" in place when a team expands a search outside the orginization to include minority candidates, but I don't think it's a hard Rule in MLB.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

the more i think about this - the angrier i get about a day-old story being presented to readers of this blog as "news." the times, for crissakes, had QUOTES and DETAILS about the mattingly story on their baseball blog THIS TIME YESTERDAY. but because it's ONLY THE NATS, we get this abbreviated tripe. can you imagine the don't get its allowing a snydermen story to fester for a day before passing it off as "news" when other local and national media outlets have already circulated it? more and more, i'm beginning to become a CiL acolyte where local baseball coverage is concerned.

Posted by: surly_w | October 21, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure where the love for Bobby Valentine is coming from. Career winning percentage of .510, never won a division, got himself fired twice and hasn't been in the big leagues since 2002.
I understand wanting to hire someone with experience, but at the same time, if the experience the person has is average at best, what are you getting?
Hire Mattingly or Pendleton, and keep Pat Corrales as the bench coach. That's all the experience you need.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | October 21, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Bob Melvin as Nationals manager

Posted by: gpoi | October 21, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I still like somebody like Brenly, but Pendleton would be an interesting possibility, as would Pete Mackanin - 53-53 in two interim gigs with the Pirates & Reds.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The Nats wanted Willie Randolph as their bench coach before Jim Riggleman was hired. I wouldn't be surprise Pendleton or Randolph get a interview with the Nats for their managerial job.

Posted by: 4U2Know | October 21, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I hear that this guy will work for peanuts:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 21, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

as long as Manny Acta stays away, far away, I feel better about the future

Posted by: TGT11 | October 21, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

TGT: No worries there.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

surly: Yeah, the information was in some of the fishwrap yesterday; But to us, it's a new cageliner, ready to be ripped to shreds & used for nesting material.
Don't focus on the shortfall / lateness of the info; Dig in & just have fun tearing it up.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

.510 is still better than Riggleman and Acta...

Posted by: swang30 | October 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

BinM

this is like going to a restaurant and being served a day-old entree. chico is lazy at best and disingenious at worst in this case. i don't drink the if you don't get it kool aid. the nats aren't a priority with the post and the editors - and baseball riter - must think there are no other sources of information about a supposed LOCAL major team. baseball fans are treated in a shabby, patronizing manner by the newspaper.

Posted by: surly_w | October 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

.. the love for Bobby Valentine?

Robinson .475
Acta .385
Riggleman .444

I'm thinking .510 seems pretty good.

There are plenty of veteran candidates with higher percentages, but none of them have been mentioned as candidates yet.

Posted by: natbiscuits | October 21, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

WHAT!!!

jfromPG, I vehemently disagree. Riggleman's probably the sexiest one out there.

...oh, oops. You meant the other kind. As you were.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 21, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I want more Nats news as much as the next guy, but Chico IS covering the playoffs.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 21, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | October 21, 2009 7:59 PM |
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

so are both reporters at the times, but they still find time to report timely stories on their main beat.

Posted by: surly_w | October 21, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Bisquit: I think the underlying fan tension w/Valentine is that he seems to be more about him, than the team he's managing (he has overplayed his role in the press).
Admittedly, his record is fairly solid - In 15 years, he never won a Division race in MLB, but finished 2nd four times, with 10 of 15 years above .500 in W-L. I might have to re-think my position.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Hoooooey! Rizzo doesn't sound too happy with "the media" either. I noticed a little dig about "hiding a dime." That must be aimed at someone whose name begins with a B and ends with an oswell.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 21, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

In AFL news, the Desert Dogs took down the Peoria Javalinas 17-4 this afternoon. Chris Marrero was at DH, going 0 for 2, with 3BB & 2RS; Jeff Mandel threw a nine-pitch, 1-2-3 8th inning in the win. Phoenix is now 6-2 on the season, and Strasburg is scheduled tomorrow, again against the Javalinas.

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Its interesting when you evaluate Managers and sometimes you have to think how would a HOF manager fare in Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Washington.

How would Torre do with a $60 million payroll vs. a $160 million payroll?

Joe Torre was horrible in his 1st managerial stint with the NY Mets. Last place his 1st 3 seasons and lost 99 games in his 3rd year. After failing in NYM he went to Atlanta and had a good first year and 1st place finish winning 89 games in a weak NL East but got swept in the playoffs and his next 2 years went backwards and he was out of work and would go to St. Louis.

Torre's 1st 8 seasons he had a .454 winning percentage.

Not great and won't get you to the Hall of Fame.

Then 6 years with the Cardinals never finished better than 2nd place.

Then he is rewarded with the keys to the kingdom and gets handed the New York Yankees and now the Dodgers.

I have never thought much of Torre as a Manager as I think Manny Acta could have won more World Series in NYY than Torre---my opinion.

I think Managers set the tone and attitude for the team and the way teams win championships is from the players that make up the roster.

Posted by: dmacman88 | October 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Sizzle baby, sizzle. I wrote an email to StanK this afternoon and told him the DC window of opportunity was wide open and if he and the Lerners didn't make a move to give this town an alternative to the never-ending saga aka Redskins, then shame on them. Lets hope they get it over on South Capitol. I'm sure tubby Teddy Leonis is feeling might good right now too.

This is good news. Bobby V took an absolutley dreadful Mets team, was able to mold a bunch of rookies and vets into a pretty decent machine from 1998 thru 2000. Of course after the 2000 WS debacle (Benny Agbanyni (sp) declared on Regis and KathyLee that the Mets will win in five the wheels cam off and Mr. Mustashi was relieved of command in 2002. Still think the guy would love to manage guys like Zimm, Dunn,Desmond, Tony Plush, Flores, Hammer, Maxwell etc., those guys are his type of players. How he would handle Dukes would be interesting too! Come on down Bobby V!

Bobby Valentine 1996–2002
W536
L467
Pct.534
Playoff Apprearences 2
World Series Apprearence 1

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 21, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

DONNIE BASEBALL! CLAP CLAP CLAP! DONNIE BASEBALL! CLAP CLAP CLAP!

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Phoenix--With the requisite casino trip out of the way (Note to self: bowling is cheaper than poker), I hope to see how the Dogs play in Peoria tomorrow. I'll try to post some postgame notes after the 1:35 tilt.

Weather here is mid-80s in the day, clear and slightly breezy. Why play anything else?
*******

Posted by: BinM | October 21, 2009 8:50 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 21, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Glad that you made it to Phoenix, sec3. (Are you wearing a barrel, by any chance?) Will look forward to reading observations from our man on the ground.

p.s. Storen sez to stay away from the Cheetos and Coke.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 21, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Sec3

glad you'll be repping for nats fans tomorrow in AZ. i'm sure the baseball riter will get around to posting a few days after the fact.

Posted by: surly_w | October 21, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Now that I know that Strasburg starts tomorrow, I was able to extrapolate (assumuing every five days) and he'll pitch when I am there, too... Looking forward to it!

Posted by: wigi | October 21, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the original premise that the Redskins are giving the Nats a chance to make a real and lasting splash.

Lerners need to take the plunge, not worry about the $ and make a big, loud, public offer to Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan. They are not under contract and should be.

Plus, DC will have a new Mr. Tony.

Posted by: NatsWin | October 21, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Valentine would not be managing the teams that had the .510 cumulative record. He's a pill, and nobody else in baseball has wanted him for 7 years. Please, no.

Posted by: markfromark | October 22, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

The Sports Biz blog in the OP noted that MLB.com will use its proprietary Pitch F/X data during Strasburg's start today (2:35 p.m. ET).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut--thanks for the link to the Mark Lerner email interview. Some very interesting material in there, and it was not off-the-cuff.

Lerners seem extremely pleased with Rizzo, which hopefully means he'll have a lot of freedom this off-season. But no mention of free agent signings (concerning).

On the other hand, the first thing mentioned in the list of items "critical to the success we'll have in the future" was Adam Dunn. I'm more convinced than ever that they're signing Dunn to a longer-term deal. Which I think is a very good thing.

The criticism of the media was surprising in its harshness, though Lerner is right about some very bad reporting this season on the GM hiring and the Acta firing. (Wonder if Kasten wrote that response, or maybe even the whole interview?)

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Interview with Bryce Harper from the MASN site:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

jcj5y - I too hope Adam Dunn is signed to a 2 year extension or at least 1 additional year with an option year. It will probably cost them $12 million a year to do it.

I thought Mark Lerner really grasped what Adam Dunn meant to the lineup and I am sure Ryan Zimmerman knows that Adam Dunn was a big part of Zim's huge 2009 season.

Now with a good GM in place I am not so hung up on the Manager's job. I am fine with Jim Riggleman in the job. The biggest issue in the off-season for me is which Free Agent pitcher can the Nationals sign?

A signing of a top-of-the-rotation pitcher will have the largest impact on the 2010 Nats in my opinion.

Posted by: dmacman88 | October 22, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

...though Lerner is right about some very bad reporting this season on the GM hiring and the Acta firing...

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 7:50 AM

**************

For the life of me, I can't remember what happened with all that. Must be the digital age--fast in, fast out.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 22, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I think Lerner's remarks on reporting were directed more at national writers than the Post, which usually seemed to be more conservative in it's approach--finding multiple sources before reporting on rumors.

For what it's worth, that may explain the manager search story today, which is obviously slow, but has more substantiation than others I've seen. Not that I'm lauding the Post's Nationals coverage. I'd prefer two more baseball reporters and two fewer football ones. (How many ways can you say that the 'Skins are terrible?)

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Sez here that there is a MLB Rooney Rule, that actually predated the Rooney Rule. Go figure.

Given the Uncle Stan connection to the Braves and Pendleton, I would be shocked if he did not get an interview (unless he's been told he'll take over for Bobby Cox in '11).

Posted by: WebberDC | October 22, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

jcj5y: "(How many ways can you say that the 'Skins are terrible?)"
=====================================================
Dutch: De Roodhuiden zijn vreselijk.
French: Les Peaux Rouges sont terribles.
German: Die Indianer sind schrecklich.
Greek: Οι ερυθρόδερμοι είναι φοβερές.
Italian: Le Pellerosse sono terribili.
Portugese: Os Redskins são terríveis.
Russian: Краснокожие ужасны.
Spanish: Las Pieles Rojas son terribles.
Chinese: 北美印第安人是可怕的。
Japanese: アメリカインディアンはひどい。
Korean: 북아메리카 인디언은 참담하다.

Posted by: gilbertbp | October 22, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I want the Nats to hire the best available Captain for this ship, no doubt, because it would be a huge step toward respectability.

However, what is more important to me is bringing in players. The Lerners can't sit on their hands for yet another offseason without bringing in some talent in FA. Dunn was a nice addition last year but, we need a front line starter, a closer, a set up guy and a 2nd baseman, badly.

Talented teams make good managers great.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 22, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"The Lerners can't sit on their hands for yet another offseason without bringing in some talent in FA."

It's pretty clear from the Mark Lerner interview that they will be doing exactly that - sitting on their hands and allowing their baseball guy Mike Rizzo to do what he needs to do to build their team. Which is exactly the way it should be done. The Lerners are no Dan Snyder, and Rizzo is no Vinny Cerrato. Kudos to the Lerners for doing it the right way.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 22, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I think you're both on to something. The digital age intensifies the rush to break a story before others do, and fact-checking as well as verification with multiple sources can fall by the wayside. I for one appreciate the more thorough approach of the Post (though that won't stop me from whining for new posts, natch).

---

Posted by: NatsNut | October 22, 2009 9:05 AM |

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 9:19 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

We really need to hear from NJ's own JayBee. I want to hear who he would pick as his 1st and 2nd choice so he can go on record.

He and a few others are great about complaining after the fact.

I would love to see Chico put up a poll with

1) Riggleman
2) Valentine
3) Melvin
4) Mattingly
5) Lopes

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 22, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Talented teams make good managers great.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 22, 2009 10:16 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well said.

I think the DMac post last night on Torre is spot on. His record was sub-par until the Yankees, and as Joe DiMaggio once said, "I Want to Thank the Good Lord for Making Me A Yankee".

When Torre gets his HOF plaque, he should be kissing Steinbrenner's a$$ for saving him from Manager's hell. I also wish Torre luck in LA as with the McCourt divorce I would expect to see the Dodger's shedding payroll dollars like they did from 2008 to 2009 (18% drop).

Trust me, I was rooting for the Dodgers to beat up the Phillies and for Ronnie Belliard!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 22, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know where you can see all the free agents for this off season?

Posted by: Elbaryn | October 22, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's one source (hat tip to Google):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Note that while the post dates from December, it was last updated on 10/20/09.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know where you can see all the free agents for this off season?

--------

No, because the deadline for arbitration hasn't passed yet. Anyone who doesn't go to arbitration or isn't "bought out" becomes a free agent. The MLB Trade Rumors list is great for knowing whose contract is up, but remember that there will be more than are on that list.

Posted by: Section506 | October 22, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Add Kenji Johjima to the list although he now wants to return to Japan!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"The MLB Trade Rumors list is great for knowing whose contract is up, but remember that there will be more than are on that list."

Yeah, like Austin Kearns. Oh wait, that's less.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 22, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________________________

Nunof1,

I'm talking more of opening the checkbook and not acting like Snyder or Jerry Jones.

Let Rizzo do his thing, I agree but, open the checkbook to allow him to get some players in here to help with the rebuilding process.

Posted by: Section505203 | October 22, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Just listened to the Bryce Harper interview on MASN. Two things stood out: (1) when asked about getting drafted by the Nats, Harper played up the fact that he could go back to community college; (2) when asked about his favorite players, the first one he named was Robinson Cano(!?!).

My conclusions: Harper has too much leverage, and the Nats will not draft him. Harper is likely a Yankees fan, and plans to demand so much money next year that only the Yankees can afford him (we've heard this story before).

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Let me repeat for those who are not paying attention. I am not nunof1. I get very tired of seeing this over and over and over again.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 22, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"2) when asked about his favorite players, the first one he named was Robinson Cano(!?!)."

How could Robinson Cano NOT be one of his favorite players? The guy is bulletproof, after all. He can stand two feet off third base, get tagged in full view of the ump, and still not be out. A worthier role model could not be found anywhere.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 22, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know where you can see a list of all the former screen names of NJ posters?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 22, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 22, 2009 11:28 AM

---------

Won't be Joe's problem for long (if at all). It's unlikely those big budget cuts will hit before 2011, if not later, and Torre's already said 2010 is probably his last year in a baseball uniform.

Boswell said in his chat today that Don Mattingly doesn't want to wait until 2011, but he's the obvious heir apparent to Joe Torre. Maybe Donnie Baseball also figures the divorce is going to do bad things to the budget.

Elsewhere at Dodger Stadium, 2010 will probably be the last year for Vin Scully behind a microphone as well -- which is as good a reason as anything else to subscribe to XM or MLB.com's out of town radio package.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 22, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

jcj5y, I don't know if Bryce Harper is a Yankees fan but he certainly sees himself in a Yankees uniform (and cashing Yankees paychecks) someday. That's been clear in a lot of the coverage I've read about the kid.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 22, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

No one has ever been in a better position to choose the team he wants to play for than Bryce Harper. If that team is the Yankees, I see no reason he can't make that completely clear through his "advisor"; none of the other teams have an interest in drafting a 17 year-old who will refuse to sign a contract with them.

Posted by: jcj5y | October 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

On Kornheiser today, Sheinin suggested that the job is Riggleman's to lose, and that someone would have to really interview well to take it from him.

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 22, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If i'm Rizzo(and i'm not) i'd stay away from both Valentine and Melvin,listen Valentine hasn't had a sniff stateside in a while and Melvin was kicked to the curb and replaced in the dugout by a gm type this past season,let me say this again, HIRE TIM FOLI!!! he's famiiiar with a good number of the players and he's well thought of throughout the orginazation.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 22, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If what Boswell said in his chat today can be believed, Mattingly is certainly one guy who can interview well enough to blow Riggleman out of the job. It may be up to Mattingly to drive this decision, just as Girardi drove the 2006 decision that ultimately ended up in Acta's hiring.

Posted by: section309 | October 22, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"HIRE TIM FOLI!!! he's famiiiar with a good number of the players and he's well thought of throughout the orginazation."

Sounds exactly like Jim Riggleman's claim to fame. Why dump Riggleman for a Riggleman clone when your organization can have both?

Posted by: section309 | October 22, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

HIRE RIGGLEMAN and SIGN JOHN LACKEY and you will get a 10 game improvement in wins! Get John Lackey, Randy Wolf, and you will get a 15 game improvement in wins.

Will the Nats sign either or both of these guys???? Probably not!

I believe the position players in place can win consistently with a beefed up rotation so nothing drastic there unless a trade can be made to bring in the shortstop of the future.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 22, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Big AFL game for Nats propects, Espinoza at SS, Marrero at 1B, Rooney at CA and some guy named Strasburg is pitching, who is he?

Posted by: estuartj | October 22, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Darnell Coles has already managed in the Nats farm system. Really good, aggressive baseball. Nats should look closer to home and give Darnell a shot.

Posted by: lakemonstersfan | October 22, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i'll take chone figgins for 2b, lackey for SP, soriano for closer, and....mattingly to write the lineup. there that was easy.

Posted by: longterm | October 22, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like our guy's getting lit up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Espinosa has left the game after a collision at 2nd base during a force out (of a Marrero grounder). And SS just gave up a 2-run homer... make that back to back homers. All of this in the first inning.

He did get 2 K's, but obviously he's taking some lumps this afternoon. I bet he settles down before the day is over though.

Posted by: sec307 | October 22, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Tnanks, 307. I was wondering what happened with Espinosa, as I saw that he'd singled and then was out of the game.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

And now a single, Wild pitch, passed ball and an RBI groundout for run number 4 vs SS. He did strike out Dustin Ackley though...

Posted by: estuartj | October 22, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Marrero with a double and run scored.

Posted by: estuartj | October 22, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Way to rally, Dirt Dogs!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like today wasn't Strasburg's day.

2 2/3 IP, 60 pitches (36 of them for strikes), 7 H, 8 R (7 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 3 HR, and a wild pitch. There was a passed ball as well.

After coming back to within one run before Strasburg's final inning, the Dirt Dogs have some digging to do, as the last home run was a grand slam. Oy.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Uh, just to clarify. That's digging as in emerging from a hole rather than getting deeper into one.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Rule #1 when you find yourself dug into a hole: Quit digging.

Posted by: nunof1 | October 22, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Looks like today wasn't Strasburg's day.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 4:55 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

any hopes of a new post by saturday?

Posted by: surly_w | October 22, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

(psst, check the Chatter blog in the OP)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

And good point, nunof.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

nunof1, didn't you used to post under FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome?

Posted by: Section506 | October 22, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nunof1 | October 22, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

"Not his day"??
O.
m.
g.

All the homers were crushed--the first one down the line on a rope, the other two bombs--the slam probably went 425. He didn't seem to have control of his fastball--it was effective enough down and in, when he could get it there--but if it was moving, it wasn't fooling anybody. And if this is any indication, Boz is right, SS doesn't have a changeup, he has a home run waiting to happen. I was in the souvenir shop looking for a bat, myself, by the time they pulled him.
And Tracee, if you were worried they looked rusty last week, well, maybe come back next week. I've seen more hustle in 48+ Ponce. One fun shot was Marrero thinking he had another home run in the 8th, and getting a very long single when it hit off the top of the padding, about four feet short of the top of the fence, and caromed to the left fielder on the fly. Way to stand there and watch your base hits, down by four runs.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | October 22, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, attending a ballgame still beats the heck out of filing, which is what I did this afternoon, sec3. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | October 22, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Donnie Ballgame!! Donnie Ballgame!!

Posted by: fischy | October 23, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse