Knorr to manage Harrisburg Senators

Randy Knorr will be the next manager of Double-A Harrisburg Senators, replacing John Stearns.

From the Nationals' Web site:

Knorr spent last season as the [Nationals'] bullpen coach, but [general manager Mike] Rizzo and [interim manager Jim] Riggleman told him his future was as a manager.
"I love managing," Knorr said. "It's a new job. I want to be on the bench."
Knorr has a history of success in the Minor Leagues. In 2008, he guided Class A Potomac to a 79-61 record en route to the Carolina League championship.
The Nationals have not announced who will replace Knorr as the bullpen coach.
In other news, Rick Schu will replace Ralph Dickenson as the Nationals' hitting coordinator. Best known as an infielder with the Phillies, Schu was a hitting coach with the D-backs for almost two seasons

By Alexa Steele  |  November 4, 2009; 12:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals hire special adviser to GM
Next: Nationals claim Slaten off waivers

Comments

It's taken more than an hour for the usual suspects to complain about lack of coverage. Where is everyone? Did a nuke wipe out DC and I haven't heard about it?

Posted by: swang30 | November 4, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You know, when they train you that they will not post new news, you stop looking.

But let there be no mistake, the Post's coverage of the Nats is terribly inadequate. They are no better than third best behind MASN, and the WT and they may be falling behind (gasp) the Nationals own web site.

I have to date continued my paid subscription even though I do most of my reading online out of loyalty, but they are seriously testing my resolve.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo! DC is still there! We haven't been nuked yet! :)

Posted by: swang30 | November 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

but if we had been, the Post wouldn't cover it.
Do they still have a NY bureau?
*********
Woohoo! DC is still there! We haven't been nuked yet! :)
Posted by: swang30 | November 4, 2009 1:44 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Some of us have shifted our complaints from the lack of baseball coverage in the Post to the sorry state of the baseball coverage they do decide to print.

Posted by: section309 | November 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe later Alexa can post a rant about what a bunch of windgers NJ gets.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Good news about Knorr's appointment - after the PNats' experience, this looks like a much better slot for him than the bullpen job. I'm glad the Nats are rewarding the strong in-house talent.

Posted by: Traveler8 | November 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr Knorr enjoy yourself. It a nice little city Hburg. living down town there is quiet

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Knorr in Harrisburg. Hope that he'll have success with them as with the P-Nats. I did find the quote below a bit disconcerting. Um, wasn't that his job?

"Knorr said if he had to do it all over again, he would have been more vocal when it came to the pitching staff and have tried his best to convince Josh Bard and Wil Nieves that catching was more important than hitting."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Knorr said if he had to do it all over again, he would have been more vocal when it came to the pitching staff . . ."

. . . having thus learned first-hand the inherent limitations of pantomime.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | November 4, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate mimes. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Just saw this on the team site:

The Nationals are partnering with Serve DC to host the One Warm Coat Drive at Nationals Park from Nov. 5-Dec. 11.

The Nationals Park Team Store, located at the Center Field Plaza Gates, will serve as a drop-off point for clean, reusable coats and jackets to be donated to District adults and children free of charge. All coats will be distributed by the local non-profit organization Coalition For the Homeless. The drive is a national community-service effort organized by One Warm Coat Foundation.

Serve DC collected more than 500 coats during the 2008 drive. This will be the first time the Nationals participate in the event.

Team Store hours for the event will be as follows: Nov. 5-25 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Mondays-Fridays; Nov. 27 and 28 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Nov. 30-Dec. 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays-Fridays.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swang30 | November 4, 2009 1:02 PM

##################################

cribbing from ladson? for shame. sorry i was late, swang.

Posted by: surly_w | November 4, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Randy Knoor did very well with the POT team, and could have the foundation of a good squad in HAR - A possible MI combo of Lombardozzi / Espinosa; Valdez & Whiting in the OF, and what could be a very good starting five (Mandel / Arnesen / Thompson / Meyers / Milone), and some decent bullpen arms in L.Garcia, Philabaum, & H.Pena.

As the drafted players move up in the system, they learn how to win (or lose) together; A lot of the guys on this years' HAR roster will have come from a winning team (POT-2009). Knoor has won a league championship before (POT-2008); Hopefully, he can make lighting strike again in HAR.

Posted by: BinM | November 4, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

D'oh - make that lightning, rather than lighting. (proofread, dummy, always proofread before posting).

Posted by: BinM | November 4, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

swang30: DC only seems like it's been nuked due to the "sports superfund" sites to the east and west, otherwise known as FedEx field and the practice facilities in Ashburn, VA.

Posted by: BinM | November 4, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

swang30, if you're calling this blog post "good coverage," I'd hate to see your bad.

And it probably took so long to whine about it because everyone's beating feat to where the information is. Nobody's here anymore.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 4, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I avidly defended the Post under the Svrluga years and tempered my complaints under the Chico coverage in large part because of my deep appreciation for Tracee. My antipathy of the recent lack of coverage had to be earned. If Alexa wasn't reposting the press releases we wouldn't have any coverage at all.

Am I grumpy? Yes! But unfair? Absolutely not.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 4, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere in my baseball-card memory it registered that Bill Singer finished third in the NL in strikeouts in 1968. Not only did he K 227 in 1968, he struck out 247 in '69 and 241 in '73. (There's plenty of room for baseball cards on the memory hard drive -- no calculus or physics taking up space.) Anyway, Singer brought it with his arm a lot better than he brought it with his mouth. BTW, his insult was directed at Dodgers assistant general manager Kim Ng at the winter meetings in 2000.

Posted by: Drew8 | November 4, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Singer made his comments in 2003. My bad. So much for the hard drive. Sheesh.

Posted by: Drew8 | November 4, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

That would be quite a feat of beating. hehe.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 4, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, NatsNut. I had to get a little bit of proofreading payback there. Love ya! :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 4, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Nats pick up Doug Slaten. What do guys think? Rizzo Reclamation Project (ala JimBo)???

Posted by: big_game_lannan | November 5, 2009 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Thank G*d that's over. Sounds like a managerial decision may be forthcoming. Although, seriously, it's not like the national media would have noticed or it would have been a big distraction had a decision been announced during the series. "Yawn? The Nats have a new manager? So what, they still suck. Yuk yuk." That would have been about the size of it, methinks. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

I have awakened from my silliness. No mass. Thats it. Attention returned to watching the Nats offseason moves. Thank goodness.

Posted by: cokedispatch | November 5, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

We also have the option of watching some Nats-related on-field moves this Saturday night, when Strasburg and Storen will be representing the team at the AFL Rising Stars game, which will be televised on MLB Network and MLB.com.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for info, natsfan1a1. Looking forward to watching SS in action.

And thanks to other NJers who have kept us informed of performance of Nats in Arizona. My impression from these data snapshots is that Espinosa, while showing some pop with the bat, is still striking out too much (that was supposed to be one of his main areas of emphasis in Az.)

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | November 5, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Chico, Alexa, Sheenan or somebody else monitoring this blog today from the WaPo- can we expect a heads up if the Nats schedule a press conference? With the WS over, I expect an announcement very soon about the manager (my bet, though not my preference, is that it will be Riggleman) of the Nats.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | November 5, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Rizzo is going to be on 980AM at 12:20 for those interested.

Posted by: sec307 | November 5, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Who is he talking to? Vinny?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | November 5, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Almost as interesting to me as the Manager Search is the Pitching Coach Search. I thought McCatty did a solid job with the youngsters last year. (I'm not really certain that St.Claire did anything wrong). It was characterized that St. Claire was more of a film guy versus McCatty as an accountability/attitude guy. To some degree you could imagine that McCatty is even more valuable at the minor league level, but I would like to see how he performs for a full year.

If you assume Riggleman is the Manager, does it follow that McCatty remains as Pitching Coach?

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 5, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Could somebody provide a summary if they listen to it? I can't pick up AM radio well here.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Natsfan1a1- you can listen over the internet. You can go to the stations website directly (not sure what that is off the top of my head) or follow these instructions:

1) Go to espnradio.com
2) Click the Listen Now button
3) In the drop-down menu, choose the Washington, DC (ESPN Radio 980) option

The player should pick up the local feed of ESPN980. Enjoy!

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | November 5, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Re Rizzo (yeah- it was short):
Overall- a lot of "GM speak," nothing new or contraversial.

-No decision on manager. Riggleman is a great in-house candidate; his odds have not changed (for better or worse) since the end of the season

-When asked why Hamels was not as good this year as last, Rizzo thinks it's a sort of hangover from last year [my paraphrase, not his words] going so long and with so many innings for a young pitcher. He expects Hamels to return to form next year.

-Asked whether he's mad about Yankees payroll: Rizzo says everybody builds their team differently, the Nationals will build their team in a way that best suits the Nats franchise and the city of DC

-Asked about expected non-tenders (league wide): Rizzo has heard for a while that this year will have many non-tenders and the Nats will leave "no stone un-turned"

-Asked about Strasburg in AZ: Nats prospects are part of a great team down there, Strasburg is doing great and everyone in MLB is taking notice.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | November 5, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see your posts until after the broadcast, cheeseburger, so thanks for the link and summary.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"My own reaction: Kasten has taught Rizzo well how to never answer a question without being rude to the interviewer. Rizzo certainly doesn't give the obnoxious attitude Kasten does."

Posted by: section309 | November 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Rizzo has heard for a while that this year will have many non-tenders and the Nats will leave 'no stone un-turned'"
**********
Like the Delmarva Shorebirds medical marijuana supplier, who leaves no tern unstoned.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 5, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

You have a lot of gull posting that, sec3. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"the Nationals will build their team in a way that best suits the Nats franchise and the city of DC"

Poorly managed and without a vote?

Posted by: Brian_ | November 5, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"Poorly managed and without a vote?"

Post of the day!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | November 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I believe the new manager should have a say (or at least an intelligent opinion) on who his pitching coach should be. But it seems everything is pointing to Riggleman returned with Foli as a base coach and maybe Melvin as the bench coach. That would leave McCatty as the pitching coach, I guess. I have no problem with him, but I think they should go get the best guy they can. I have read a couple places (the OP) that all the coaches have been told that they have a place within the organization regardless of who becomes manager... which is good.

Posted by: sec307 | November 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Just saw this take on Marrero on Baseball Prospectus. It perfectly summarizes my own view of Marrero and, correspondingly, the reasons for extending Dunn's contract:

Marrero could be my poster boy for why I hate first-base prospects. The 2006 first-round pick put up decent numbers once again this year at High-A Potomac, batting .287/.360/.464, but that's it. The numbers are just decent, and they're in line with what he always hits. Perfectly fine numbers for an up-the-middle player, but if you want to be a first baseman, you better mash, and Marrero just doesn't do that, and he's not alone. It's a position that historically has led to many overrated prospects, but if that's all you can play, and you don't project as a middle-of-the-order run producer, your future isn't bright.

Posted by: jcj5y | November 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Now I don't know much about Doug Slaten but I like that they're going after players now instead of just FO moves.
Just a few of my thoughts:

I like that they don't want to pay a manager more then $1 mil, I don't think should be the cap they keep past two years but for rebuilding why have a world beater coach when you presumably have .500 talent?

For the love of all that is good extend Dunn's contract, last year showed that with him, T plush, R Zim, and Willinghammer they make a good lineup

Please get someone for 2nd Base and DFA Guzman or whatever just get rid of him

Is Austin Kearns gone yet?

Posted by: Elbaryn | November 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"I don't understand this. Kasten taught Rizzo to be rude to questioners, yet Rizzo is not doing that. Is this what you're saying?

BTW, I've never heard Kasten be rude to a questioner unless the questioner was rude first. Can you give an example of when he was unprovoked and rude?"
Posted by: section309
----------------------
I specifically said that Kasten taught him how to not answer questions WITHOUT being rude. I think you read my statement wrong. I went out of my way to say both Kasten and Rizzo are not rude.

As far as Kasten's attitude, he gets very defensive and very sarcastic in his public appearances. My favorite example was at the Nationals fan day last preseason where he told the crowd what they care about and don't care about and subtly told the very fanbase that he was trying to convince to buy tickets that they were too dumb to know what they want. Or then there was his over-reaction to the Ken Rosenthal report that the Nats were firing Acta after the Yankees series that year- just saying the story is false and he had no other comment would have sufficed. Instead, he went on a long diatribe about the evil media. It's a condescending attitude Kasten frequently projects publically. Rizzo lacks that (and I think this is a good thing).

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | November 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, I read that wrong too. I like much better what you said you meant rather than what I thought you said. I know you think you said what you meant, but I'm not sure you meant what you said....

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 5, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

More on our AFL prospects. On his Insider-only blog, Jason Grey compliments Espinosa, projecting him as a "solid regular in the big leagues" and "an above-average defender at short." Long-term, Grey likes Espinosa better than Ian Desmond.

Posted by: jcj5y | November 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

New post, toasties.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

cheeseburger, huh? I'm cracking up cuz you're totally confusing me with your double negatives.

It still sounds like you're saying Kasten taught Rizzo NOT to do an interview WITHOUT being rude. Then you say they both AREN'T rude. Then you say Kasten's all sarcastic and defensive, which is kinda rude.

It's no biggie, it's just funny. =)

Posted by: NatsNut | November 5, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

natbiscuit's entry was also a contender, IMO. :-)

Speaking of new posts, the Storen Identity has a new one as well.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought I'd go for redundancy rather than double negatives - kind of mix things up a little bit.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 5, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse