Rizzo: Manager announcement to come this week

Nationals General Manager Mike Rizzo said in a text message Wednesday that the team plans to announce its new manager "sometime late this week." Although Rizzo would not be more specific, MLB.com reported Tuesday evening that the announcement is "expected" to come Friday.

As reported here and elsewhere, current interim manager Jim Riggleman and current ESPN analyst (and former Texas Rangers and New York Mets manager) Bobby Valentine have emerged as the two frontrunners in recent days. Rizzo was in meetings much of Wednesday and unavailable to comment. He told MLB.com during this week's general managers' meetings in Chicago that the choice had come down to "a select couple of people."

By Dave Sheinin  |  November 11, 2009; 2:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Zimmerman bring home the Gold?
Next: Zimmerman Wins Gold Glove [Updated]

Comments

New posted...

Totally off-topic but I saw this over at Washington Examiner.com.....I'm sure most of us here aren't crazy about Ex-Reds...or in this case current Reds, but it looks like their trying to cut payroll and have placed 2B Brandon Phillips and SP Bronson Arroyo on the trade block. And some are speculating (in the case Washington Examiner) that the Nats could very well be interested in making a move.....

Posted by: FloresFan | November 11, 2009 1:50 PM |

Posted by: FloresFan | November 11, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

For the life of me, I cannot see Bobby V. getting the job...I think Riggleman gets it and Tim Foli will be his bench coach. Then again, I know nothing....just ask my ex-wife...

Posted by: TimDz | November 11, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

With the Nats saying all the coaches throughout the organization who finished the 2009 season with them will be returning, though some in different capacities to take best advantage of their respective strengths, it points more toward Riggleman having the "interim" tag removed than the hiring of Valentine.

Additionally, why would Riggleman say publicly that an announcement is coming if he is NOT going to be getting the job? Sounds to me like they're talking dollars and years with the Rockville native, and that the Valentine angle is more a smokescreen than anything else. If the Nats were going to make a change, Melvin would have been among the finalists due to his Diamondbacks ties to Rizzo, but since he's not and Valentine has NO links whatsoever to Kasten and Rizzo...

We'll see soon enough if I am right...

Posted by: ericp331 | November 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The real question is whether the Post will announce Chico Harlan's successor by this Friday.

Posted by: section309 | November 11, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

On another topic, MLBTraderumors reporting that the Yankees may non-tender Chien-Ming Wang, would the Nats be interested? I know he has some health issues but he is decent when healthy. Worth taking a flier on.

Posted by: jfromPG | November 11, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

New posted (reposting because the first link is hilarious).

The reason I like Bronson Arroyo (NSFW):

The reason I dislike Bronson Arroyo:

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 11, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

New posted as well -
@FF: One of the websites (MLBTR, I think) made note that the Reds were looking to shed salary. I, for one would love seeing Phillips at 2B in DC; Move Guzman back to SS, and send Desmond back to SYR to start the year. The question is, what could the Nationals give up in order to make the deal? The farm system is fairly thick with bottom-of-rotation starters & middle relief prospects, but still a little thin in the field.

Posted by: BinM | November 11, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@section309: Harlan seems to be a "dead man walking" on planet NJ. It will be of some interest to see if the WaPo has indeed replaced him as the Nationals beat reporter. He is a good writer, but as a "down-n-dirty" reporter, not so much.

Posted by: BinM | November 11, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

And we have a GG winner! (per the Chatter blog in the OP). Congrats to the FOF!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Zim won

Posted by: bitner | November 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman captures his 1st Gold Glove award - YES!

Posted by: BinM | November 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

My neighbors are probably wondering what all the shouting is about.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Atta Boy!

Posted by: sec307 | November 11, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Next chance at hardware - the Silver Slugger awards.

Posted by: BinM | November 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman, 1.
Foli, 1A

Works for me. Nice combination of brains, savvy and, in Foli's case, nuts and cajones.

Re: Arroyo/Phillips. I thought Nats were banned from making trades with Cinci, ever since Majewski was too sore to comb his hair?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | November 11, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 11, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg named AFL Pitcher of the Week...Zimm earns himself a Gold Glove...now let's finish a great week and make Riggelman our manager.

Go Nats!

Posted by: bbahler | November 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Where's Chico??? Did he leave the Post?

Posted by: BRG13 | November 11, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse