Storen Takes Toga Yoga Class

Drew Storen is just a crack-up. I'd like him even if he had no shot of ever being a big league reliever -- and he does, and he will be, and soon.

I called him for the column that's running in Saturday's dead tree edition (I'll try to remember to "insert link here" when it's finally online), but with the time difference and my inability to stay awake past sundown, I was having trouble reaching him. He sent me a text message saying he was sorry he missed my call -- if I've heard that once from a pro athlete, I've heard it ... once -- but he was in a "toga class."

I couldn't wait to finally talk to him to see if that was a typo. Sadly, it was; he was in yoga class. Fellow Stanford player and Nats draftee player Jack McGeary turned him on to it in Palo Alto.

"I started doing that at Stanford," he said. "I wanted to try it so I did and I loved it."

However, Storen admitted that the Arizona class was his first since leaving Stanford -- and that he was incredibly sore the next day. "I was in an hour-long yoga class," he said. "It was pretty intense."

Of course, since Storen is now a blogger, you can read all about it here.

One other thing Storen said that I thought was interesting, regarding coach Paul Menhart, who is guiding the Baby Nats in Arizona: "Paul has a history with me. He's awesome, he's been there. Guys from the other teams say 'We really like Paul. We wish he was in our organization.'"

Don't forget you can see Storen and Stephen Strasburg in the Rising Stars Game Saturday night at 9:15 local time on the MLB Network and on mlb.com.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  November 6, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
 | Tags: Drew Storen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Scout's Take on the Desert Dog Nats
Next: Strasburg Scratched with Neck Strain [UPDATED]

Comments

"Yoga", not "toga"?

Don't feel bad, Tracee, John Belushi was terribly disappointed, too.

Does this mean we can nickname Storen "Yogi"?

Posted by: greggwiggins | November 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Toga is so Animal House. He's more of a Major League guy, methinks. ;-) Storen's blog is always a fun read. Have to say that my favorite part of yoga class was always the relaxation/meditation at the end.

Also, I believe that the game starts at 8:15 local time (with coverage starting at 8:00). I think the time difference is because they don't do daylight savings time there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Gregg beat me to it with the Animal House reference. Yogi, that's good.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Need to serenade him with "TOGA! TOGA!" when he finally makes it to DC. :)

Posted by: Aterio | November 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the game will start at 8:15 EST, with coverage beginning at 8:00. Arizona has no daylight savings time (they have plenty of sunlight already!) and so before this weekend, the time difference was 3 hours (2 time zones +1hr daylight savings), but now the time difference is 2 hours (just the two time zones).

Thanks for the updates, Tracee, they're awesome.

Posted by: cassander | November 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I've clicked on NJ twice today and found a new post each time. Wow! Almost fell out of my chair the second time. Thanks. Tracee.

My take on Dunn -- if possible, sign him to a multi-year extension, and when/if Marrero is ready, trade him to an AL team. I think he'll still have good value as a DH three or even four years from now, and I love his attitude, bat, and improving 1B play on the Nats for the next few years.

Posted by: Section222 | November 6, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

New post, with news. :-(

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks. 8:15 it is. You've helped with the column, for which I thank you all profusely.

Posted by: traceeh | November 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What's the problem? Toga, followed by TM (Transcendental Medication).

Posted by: poncedeleroy | November 6, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

i second the nickname YOGI!!!!!

Posted by: nattydread1 | November 7, 2009 4:53 AM | Report abuse