Another impressive start for Strasburg

Nationals No. 1 draft pick Stephen Strasburg struck out six and gave up four hits in five innings as the Phoenix Desert Dogs defeated the Surprise Rafters, 10-2, in Arizona Fall League play today. He threw 68 pitches (43 strikes) and is 3-1 this fall. Here's the box score.

By Alexa Steele  |  November 2, 2009; 6:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg impressive in third AFL start
Next: Nationals hire special adviser to GM

Comments

Is that really an entire Desert Dogs lineup all batting over .300? Several of them almost .400? Does the ball carry well out there or something?

Posted by: jonb5 | November 2, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

save yourself the trouble nexr time and just post a link to the times' "chatter" blog where local baseball still gets some run.

Posted by: surly_w | November 2, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

What's next....Tweets?

Posted by: leetee1955 | November 2, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Sigh; Missed the correct time by 34 minutes. This was old news in a five day old string by 4:30 this afternoon. Somebody wake me up when the team hires a Manager - I'm going back to sleep.

Posted by: BinM | November 2, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Chico must get more vacation time then Barry ever did. Sheesh. And I thought the previous post was short, but this one takes the cake.

Posted by: thepostischeap | November 2, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Seriously guys?

Let the man take a vacation and stop whining like babies. There is plenty of Nat's info on the web, you're just going to have to look harder for a week.

And frankly I'd rather have refreshed staff for when Rizzo rides through the winter meeting like Sir Lancalot to save the Nat's!

Posted by: soundbloke | November 2, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

The Times blog does capture what seemed to be the highlights of Strasburg's day. He was sitting at 98-99 with his fastball through 5, and touching 100-101. I don't think any starter in the majors today can really do that. Verlander maybe? Also looked like the ump had a bit of a tight zone, which cost Strasburg 5-10 strikes.

Bottom line: I can't wait to see him pitching in DC.

Posted by: jcj5y | November 2, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like he could start out in SYR with the Chiefs. If the AFL is truly AA and above with the better players? Instead of in Hagerstown or Harrisburg?

Posted by: periculum | November 2, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

More likely he'd start at AA, just because the better prospects generally do.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 2, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sec3

Agreed. There is no reason to rush him at all.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 2, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

So this Utley guy is not only at bat every time you look up, he's looking up every time you look up. Another dinger!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 2, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Drew8, I listened to Kerr's radio interview with Bryce Harper. The kid sounded quite mature and articulate. If he were from the DR, I'd be suspicious. He does NOT sound 17.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 2, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut

Going to the Scott Boras Finish School for Young Assets will do that to ya!

Posted by: soundbloke | November 2, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

How about when the Gold Glove awards are announced? :-)

---

Somebody wake me up when the team hires a Manager - I'm going back to sleep.

Posted by: BinM | November 2, 2009 7:44 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't usually like to tout my own blog here, but I am in Arizona taking in a few Desert Dogs games. I posted something about yesterday's game:

Posted by: wigi | November 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of performance, I say you start Strasburg off in Potomac and then move him up the system start by start. It gives our affliates a chance to rake in some gates. Then he stays at SYR as long as necessary. He'll certainly be on an innings limit of between 150 and 170 innings, depending on how many he throws in the AFL - which is not enough for a full major league season. So why not ramp him up instead of shutting him down (which will probably happen anyway too)?

It's also encouraging that his velocity improves with each start. I think we got ourselves a keeper.

Posted by: sec307 | November 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I like that idea for a few reasons, 307.

First of all, it's a way for Strasburg to work his way up in terms of coverage and media exposure. It's the closest thing to media training camp I can think of.

In addition to throwing some attendance to the other minor league affiliates, it could also attract more scouts. Maybe more eyes on our prospects would a good thing. Overall, I can't see how more attention to our affiliates can have any down side.

From a PR perspective, I think it's just as good to have a guy work his way up through each level in the minors as it is to have a guy report almost immediately to the bigs. It's a way to transform the Next Big Thing into a working stiff.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 3, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Byron Kerr has more on Strasburg and other AFL players in a new post. Both Strasburg and Storen will be part of the prospects game on Saturday night (to be televised by MLB Network and MLB.com).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on the blog post, Wigi. I almost felt like I was there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

More likely he'd start at AA, just because the better prospects generally do.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 2, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping he spends at least a week in Potomac, so I can get an autographed ball (as I did for Lannan three days before he was called up to Harrisburg).

Posted by: MikeH0714 | November 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

He pitched 109 innings in college, 15 1/3 so far in the AFL and it looks like he'll get three more starts (including the Future's Game this Sat.) which would be 15 more innings with the AFL's 5 inning limit. Plus about 6 or 8 innings in the Florida Instructional League gives him about 146 innings this year, give or take a couple.

So maybe 175 will be his limit next year - which would equal around 25-28 starts at all levels.

Posted by: sec307 | November 3, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hardball Times analysis of Strasburg's AFL performance to date:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wigi | November 3, 2009 11:04 AM

------------------------

I also thought your blog post almost made me feel like I was there; which is helpful because next week I will be.

But, holy moly! How many of us regular NJ posters are traveling to Phoenix and attending AFL games this fall, anyway?

Posted by: greggwiggins | November 3, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could say I was going, but maybe next year...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I "watched" Strasberg's first inning on Game Day. It was showing thhe PF/X thing which I can't understand except the speed of the pitching leaving the hand and the spped when same pitch reaches the plate. Usually, the speed even when it is leaving a fire baller's hand at 91-95 hits the plate between 89-8. When Strasburg hit 100-101 it was crossing the plate at about 97. When he uncorked at 95 it hit the plate at 91. I went whoaaa!!--never having seen those figures on Game Day before. Strasburg is something special.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | November 3, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier, if you want something reported, you have to do it yourself around here.
***********************
Posted by: greggwiggins | November 3, 2009 1:12 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 3, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Tout away, amigo. It's not like we've got posts to read piling up here.
***********

Posted by: wigi | November 3, 2009 11:04 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

So, how are things out on the lawn, sec3? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone who is not Jim Bowden is apparently tweeting that the Nats have asked for the Dodgers' permission to interview Mattingly, but permission was denied. Reason being that Mattingly prefers to wait it out in LA for Joe Torre's job.

Now I'm just a nobody so I don't get these tweets myself. I just hear about them thirdhand. But it seems like the beat reporter of a major daily newspaper ought to be getting them and telling us about them on his blog. But sadly it appears that our beat reporter is a twit.

Posted by: section309 | November 3, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there's a new post, with news and everything!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Sec. 309, I couldn't agree with you more! The complete lack of Nats' coverage in the paper, on the website and on this blog is DISGRACEFUL!! Can you imagine ANY other major daily newspaper with an MLB team failing to write even a single sentence about this franchise's major prospect after a sparkling outing like yesterday's?? Even with the Deadskins on a bye week??

Sorry, soundbloke, this is NOT whining!! We diehards should not have to go searching on the web for Nats' news. The idiots in charge of the Post sports section should all be fired!!!

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | November 3, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse