Zimmerman hauling in more than hardware

Let's start this morning with some reading material, because there is plenty. Here is the news story I wrote for the dead-tree edition off the Riggleman presser, and here is Boswell's typically excellent column. We also have this poll running on our home page -- take a second and weigh in.

Over at the Washington Times, Thom Loverro gives his take, theorizing (as I have) that the Riggleman hiring is an indication the Nationals' top brass doesn't see the team as being close to contending in the next couple of years. At MLB.com, Bill Ladson got Riggleman to reiterate that he views Cristian Guzman as a second baseman at this point, which meshes with this report from Foxsports.com that the Nationals are interested in defensive-minded free agent shortstops Adam Everett and Alex Gonzalez.

And that brings us to the FOF -- the Face of the Franchise. It was another good day to be Ryan Zimmerman. (Seriously, is there ever a bad day to be him?) One day after bringing home the gold (glove, that is), he brought home the silver as well. The Silver Slugger award doesn't have the same cache as the Gold Glove, but being recognized as both the top offensive and top defensive player at your position is an impressive thing -- and something only one other NL player (the Dodgers' Matt Kemp) can claim this year.

And as the title of this post implied, the hardware haul is very good for Zimmerman's bottom line. Incentives clauses in his contract state that he earns an extra $50,000 for the Gold Glove and another $50,000 for the Silver Slugger. That is in addition to the $25,000 he earned for making the all-star team in July, and the $175,000 he earned for hitting all his plate-appearances targets ($75,000 for reaching 500 PAs, and $50,000 each for 550 and 600) over the course of the season. By my math, that's an extra 300 grand.

Guess you could say it's a good year to be on Zimmerman's Christmas gift list.

By Dave Sheinin  |  November 13, 2009; 9:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rizzo and Riggleman
Next: Reshaping of Nationals' front office continues

Comments

Rizzo just say "NO" to Alex Gonzalez and Adam Everett, we do need someone to play SS who is less likely to get on-base than one of our pitchers. Please go with Guz-Desmond combo to at least start the season!( I do not care who plays where).

Posted by: markfd | November 13, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I have to respectfully disagree Mark. Our pitchers are almost all ground ball pitchers. Until we can get a couple of fastball pitchers we need stellar defense up the middle.

I would prefer them to get a youngster but, that would involve a trade and frankly I can't imagine anyone wants what we have to offer. Certainly not at a premium position like shortstop.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 13, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone really thought about how lucky we were to sign Zim to a long term contract last year instead of keeping his arbitration contract? I wonder what his price would be this year if he hadn't signed that long term deal...

Posted by: TimDz | November 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

BTW, has there been any difinative word on Chico (TWNTP)?

Posted by: TimDz | November 13, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Follows the long term build strategy. Finish in last place for 5 years, and build the team with overall #1 picks !

Posted by: cperks | November 13, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I like Desmond at short. If Guzman accepts the 2b roll with a good attitude, that might be a good middle infield combo for 2010. After that the 2b roll will need to be addressed as I dont think Guzman fits into the plans beyond that.

Posted by: cokedispatch | November 13, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Christmas, here's my completed wish list (thanks to Drew8 for the assist):

Santa baby, just slip a pitcher under the tree, for me
Been an awful good girl
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a backup catcher would be good, too - likes chew
I'll wait up for you, dear
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Think of all the fun I've missed
Think of all the batters that we haven’t whiffed
Next year I could be oh so good
If you'd check off my Christmas list

Santa honey, I want balls caught and really that's not a lot
I've been an angel all year
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa cutie, there's one thing I really do need, the deed
To Na-tion-als tv
Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, just fill my stocking with strong biceps, and checks
Sign your 'X' on the line
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Come and trim my Christmas tree
With a second baseman bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing, a ring
I don't mean on the phone
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I actually think Desmond may be worth a shot at short. He does have enough offensive potential to be a long term solution at first but if he is left at short for a long time I think he might settle in nicely.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 13, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Zimmerman for his haul(s), and I'm happy that he's with us for the long haul.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

No one said that Everett or Gonzalez would be full time starters if the Nats signed them. Still, I would be most happy with Everett and Zimmerman on the left side of that infield although the sacrifice is the OBP. Guzman, Everett (or Gonzalez), and Flores all in the low .300s in OBP (plus the pitcher spot) takes a big bite out of the lineup.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"The Silver Slugger award doesn't have the same cache as the Gold Glove, but being recognized as both the top offensive and top defensive player at your position is an impressive thing..."
===========================================
It's very impressive.

In fact, it suggests you might be the best third baseman in baseball.

Posted by: gilbertbp | November 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Desmond's hitting .200 in the DR right now, for what it's worth. If we can get a proven veteran who plays above average defense (keep in mind Desmond's high E total), then we have to. Gonzales or whoever will save runs with the glove to make up for their shortcomings at the plate. And somebody's gotta hit 8th.

We have to save at least 100 runs this next season while maintaining the 100 run increase we saw from '08. Gonzales or Everett can't be any worse at the plate than Hernandes or the AG.

Posted by: sec307 | November 13, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

BTW, has there been any difinative word on Chico (TWNTP)?

Posted by: TimDz | November 13, 2009 9:41 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

you might want to stake out the culinary institute of washington.

Posted by: surly_w | November 13, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Zimmerman, its nice to see that he was fully recognized this year for his offensive and defensive work.

Now lets get this offseason started so we can build a team around him. I'd love to see the Nats trade Guzman and get a new 2B. I think they could maybe swap Guz for another bad contract (a pitcher perhaps). I have a full offseason plan for the Nats at fanspeak.com check it out and tell me what you guys think.

Posted by: Steveo11 | November 13, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

So Zimm has won the Golden Glove and Silver Slugger. What's next - the Bronze Balls award?

Posted by: frenchyb | November 13, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

One of Desminosa has a good shot at being a multi-year solution to the SS position, but Desmond can benefit from at least a few months in AAA while Espinosa needs to bring a bat along with his glove to AA. A short term signing of a glove first MI will help the pitch to contact ground ball pitchers we currently have before Zimmermann and Strasburg move up. I hope John McDonald slips into the mix, too, as he fits the profile. I kind of prefer McDonald because he has spent a good chunk of his career as a utility guy rather than a starter and could be a vet who moves into a backup role once Desminosa is ready. Everett and Gonalez are more pure starters and have less of a track record as multiposition backups. Another name to think about would be Ramon Santiago, Everett's counterpart in Detroit, if he does not stay there (I think he arb eligible).

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | November 13, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Bravo natsfana1a and Drew8, vy funny. Most of all bravo to Zim and Riggleman. I hope the team will have one of those January special events like last year's at which the fans can congratulate them.
(BTW, I think it's more cachet that the Gold Glove has, not cache.)

Posted by: Section109 | November 13, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"In fact, it suggests you might be the best third baseman in baseball.

Posted by: gilbertbp | November 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse"
-----------
there was a time I could sign this post "Evan Longoria" and say something like "What about me? I won both of those awards in the AL this year." But for Zimmermann to move into that discussion, along AFraud and a small group of others, is very nice.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | November 13, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind a one-year stopgap in Alex Gonzalez. He hit the ball decently well for Boston after the trade. It all depends on just how much Rizzo/Riggleman likes Desmond and thinks he's ready. So far, from interviews and other comments, they don't think he's quite ready for prime time and could be either the INF backup (the 2009 Hernandez role) or AAA.

If we got a one-year rental FA and he really performed well, we could flip him at the trade deadline and let Desmond start for the whole of aug and sept.

Only worry about this plan was the usage of rookies/callups by Riggleman this year. He really seemed hesitant to play these guys, despite the team falling off a cliff. Finally he started playing the kids and he finishes the year on a 7 game winning streak. Hopefully he learns from this and doesn't make the same mistake 9/1/2010.

Posted by: tboss | November 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

BTW, has there been any difinative word on Chico (TWNTP)?

Posted by: TimDz | November 13, 2009 9:41 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

you might want to stake out the culinary institute of washington.

Posted by: surly_w | November 13, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

The local pillar of salt moved to Cleveland. Maybe the food critic's there too.

Posted by: section309 | November 13, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Thing is tboss, if the Nat's have taught us anything it is that there is difference between having a decent end to the season and being a real live major leaguer. For some reason I'm getting Lastings Milledge images flashing through my head.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 13, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Don't think Guzman has the option of declining the move to 2nd base. I think he's been told by both the front office and Riggleman he's moving. If he were to request a trade, I don't see any team taking on his salary.

I'd like to see Desmond get a shot at the everyday SS job as the others are simply stopgap measures. Desmond showed a lot during his callup and it's not like this team will be contending next year. Give the young guy a shot and see if he's ready. You can always pick up a veteran during the season through a trade or move Guzman back to shortstop.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 13, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree that we cannot depend on Desmond or Espinosa for next year and we need a FA for a one-year deal. If Desmond can beat out a living, breathing MLB'er then more power to him, but he should not have the job given to him, a la LMIllz.

Posted by: sec307 | November 13, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Let's not forget Maxwell had a pretty good Sept in '07, yet has failed to reproduce that production. Last year was WAY too small of a sample size to think Desmond is ready. Again, he is struggling pretty bad down in the DR. His split after 57 abs are .228/.246/.351 with 15 k's over only 2 bb's.

He should have to earn his spot, regardless of the W/L record.

Posted by: sec307 | November 13, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frenchyb | November 13, 2009 10:46 AM

*********

LOL!

I'm just glad you didn't describe the criteria for the award.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 13, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I believe Willie Harris discovered the criteria for the Bronze Balls award that day he decided to play second without wearing a cup.

Posted by: section309 | November 13, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, I think it's more cachet that the Gold Glove has, not cache."
___________________________________

Or in this case: "cash"

Posted by: g3jr | November 13, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I was going to post something unpleasant about Everett/Gonzalez involving their woeful OBP, but I have been swayed by several comments above and would now support the acquisition of a veteran defensive shortstop to compete with Desmond and Guzman. But I sure hope that Desmond and Espinosa prove to be the answers by the end of the year. If not, then 1A will be writing Santa songs for the middle infield at this time next year.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 13, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I got suckered into believing Anderson Hernandez could be the Nats 2B last season after he led (or almost led) the DR in hitting. So I'm not going to put much stock in it, re: Desmond, this year.

Posted by: nats24 | November 13, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't all glove no bat SS John McDonald a FA in Toronto this year? He'd be a nice MI utility guy. Man, can that guy pick it.

Posted by: dfh21 | November 13, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"It was another good day to be Ryan Zimmerman. (Seriously, is there ever a bad day to be him?)"
==========================================
Well, there was June 12, 2008. From a UPI report:

"Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has a small tear in the anterior labrum of his left shoulder and will be sidelined 4-6 weeks.

The team said on it Web site that Pittsburgh Pirates' orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tim Kremchek diagnosed the severity of Zimmerman's injury earlier this week and that he will begin a rehabilitation plan immediately, working his shoulder with a variety of exercises.

The three-year veteran has not played since May 25.

He was hurt seven days earlier during a head-first slide into second base in a game against the Baltimore Orioles."

Posted by: gilbertbp | November 13, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

First: 1a, I'll forgive you for lodging "Santa Baby" in my brain, because a) I very much like that song and b) your version is simply brilliant.

Okay, I looked up John McDonald, and what I saw was, it looks like he's an exceptional second baseman and an above-average shortstop. Yeah, that's good. They can certainly consider him, but if the point is to get an excellent shortstop, Everett and Gonzalez are fine choices. (Those two are astonishingly bad hitters; yet their gloves are good enough that they do in fact help their teams.)

And when considering the offense/defense tradeoff of glove-first shortstops, do recall that (as some posters said many times last winter; yeah, I remember that) running a good defense out there is even more important with young pitchers who need confidence. This may or may not be part of what the GM is thinking right now.

Just a couple thoughts.

Posted by: Scooter_ | November 13, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Desmond at second and Espinosa at short. He is a defensive minded shortstop. Perhaps he is far enough along, like Zimmerman was, to improve the hitting part in the bigs.

Posted by: periculum | November 13, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

McDonald is indeed a free agent and a slick fielder. Can't hit a lick though.

How about this: Sign Jarrod Washburn and Brad Penny to front the rotation (followed by Lannan, Livo and Detwiler; L-R-L-R-L).

Sign Mike Gonzalez for the pen, a LHP that can set up or close if RHP MacDougal flounders. Clippard (R), Burnett (L), Bergmann (R) and Rivera (R) round out the staff.

Bring back Brian Schneider (L) to share catching duties with Flores (R). Sign Alex Gonzalez to compete at short (more pop and a higher OBP than Everett; even some seasons with decent offensive numbers). Willie Harris (L) and Justin Maxwell (R) round out the outfield. And Mike Morse is the utility guy.

That leaves one spot open, either for a 12th pitcher or another utility guy. Could be AG, but that's another righty. Maybe Bernadina. Probably a rotating slot anyway.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 13, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not in the Ian Desmond camp yet. Meh, at best.

But if the smart guys deem him capable, I'll have a little patience. But not for long. My patience for mediocrity is growing thin.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Although we can hope that one day Z-Mann has amassed a cache of such awards. Then, he'll be ready to cash in. Isn't the English language great? :-)

---

(BTW, I think it's more cachet that the Gold Glove has, not cache.)

Posted by: Section109 | November 13, 2009 10:54 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's a fine plan too, BobL. Why not.

(I'm just going to assume you realize that none of these glove-first guys we're talking about can actually hit [OPS+ ranging from 57 to 67], and that's why they're called glove-first, and that's kind of the point. Since you [by my assumption] already know that, I'll pay you the courtesy of not even mentioning it.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | November 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

My patience for mediocrity is growing thin.
Posted by: NatsNut | November 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse
++++++++++++++++++++
And yet you continue to visit us. Hmm. I'm gonna have to work on this one on the way home.

Posted by: Scooter_ | November 13, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and thanks to 109 and Scooter for their comments. I left in Drew8's verse, but part of me wanted to use the following in honor of recent events:

Come and trim my Christmas tree
With a second baseman bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I meant this:

Come and trim my Christmas tree
With a Silver Slugger bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Scooter, I'm not about to get Alex Gonzalez confused with A-Rod, but he's had some decent seasons at the plate for a shortstop. He has 15-homer power and has managed a few seasons with a decent line, including .272/.325/.468 in 2007. He hit .283/.316/.453 down the stretch for Boston last year. Sure, he's had some anemic seasons as well (career: .247/.294/.395), but he's a better bet than Adam Everett, who is just as likely to put up a crappy line (career: .245/.297/.351) and much less likely to contribute offensively. Gonzo has 114 career dingers and Everett has 40. Gonzo has 521 RBIs, Everett 278. In fairness, Gonzo has about 1200 ABs and Everett only 800, but that doesn't come close to making up the difference. If we have to take one of those guys, take Gonzalez.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 13, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

My nominee for the Bronze Balls award would be Willi Harris.

Posted by: SackMan | November 13, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

If Cal Ripken can accept a move to 3B then I would expect an overpaid Cristian Guzman to move to 2B. Sure, nobody wants to be told they don't fit at shortstop, but it should be good for the team.

I still believe the 1st and foremost job for GM Rizzo is a top of the line starter as I believe Desmond can make it and if not, Guzman goes back to shortstop.

Posted by: dmacman88 | November 13, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

BobL - what about Jack Wilson? He's got about the same offensive ability as Gonzo, (OPS hovering around .690 for his career) but with a better range factor & FRAA than Gonzo. (Everett averages adding 8 runs per year to the bottom line with his glove over his career, Wilson 6.75, Gonzo about 1 if you factor out his horrible year of 2001)

My biggest concern with all three of them is that they seem to have a hard time putting in 150 games per year. Over the last 5 seasons, gonzo & wilson have averaged just 124 games, and everett only 107(!).

and while I think a lot of Ian Desmond, the sample size of him hitting the cover off the ball in August was just too small.

Posted by: Section406 | November 13, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The Nats really cant rely on Ian Desmond at short to start the season...he is a wildcard, they still dont know what they have with him...though he deserves a shot, they need to at least get a competent def. shortstop to compliment, a guz-des infield.

Posted by: Cartaldo | November 13, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Wilson would probably cost a draft pick (I don't know for sure) but Gonzales would not. While I don't believe Desmond is ready yet, I don't think the team should waste a draft pick on a SS. Orlando Cabrera has it in his contract that he cannot be offered arbitration, so he would not cost a pick either. If he's just a stopgap, I don't this his age is a factor.

Posted by: sec307 | November 13, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Jack Wilson signed with the Mariners for 2 years, so he is off the table. Guzman will mvoe to 2B if he has to, problem is that he has never played the position and he may not be able to play there capably.

I like the idea of Washburn -- a reliable lefty who should not cost an arm and a leg comparatively. I'd also like to see them get Rich Harden -- Brad Penny might have some upside but he's just as likely to be ineffective.

But I want the excitement player, and I want him bad. I want Holliday or Bay -- the Nats have a bunch of money and go figure, FA's like money. Or the trade for Granderson -- if we got him, while I would miss Tony Plush, I'd get over it quickly.

Posted by: dfh21 | November 13, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I have the uneasy feeling that Rizzo knows his own limits all too well and is not going to hire anyone who would overshadow him—clearly he felt Valentine would have, after the four-hour interview. So, no dice. Go with mediocrity. (And yes, let's hope Riggleman doesn't ruin the young arms coming up the way he did in Chicago. That disastrous episode shows Riggs' IQ must hover in the high 80s.)

I'll take it all back if Davey Johnson (his IQ, like Valentine's must be off the charts) shows up and actually is given a significant role in the organization.

Posted by: JohnRDC | November 13, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Guys, Alex Gonzalez may be the best shortstop in the free agent market. This is the very definition of a thin market where every players value is massively increased. And the Red Sox are looking. As are a few other teams that are a lot less dismal than we are. You lot can want whoever, we aren't going to be able to get much better that Everett or McDonald.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 13, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

In D-Dog news, the team picked up another win (9-7) over the Solar Sox today. Storen must have the day off, as Gamboa got the save.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I think that Sox want Marco Scuturo.

If the Nats are really thinking slick fielding SS, as a stop gap until someone within the organization is ready, they can choose from any number of them. Everett, McDonald, Juan Castro, Alex Cora, maybe even Chris Gomez or the never to get old Oamr Vizquel. They can find a guy to catch the ball. They really need a few guys who can pitch the ball, they are a bit harder to come by.

Posted by: dfh21 | November 13, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Belatedly, thanks to 1a1 for the lyrics, bringing a smile to a dreary day!

Posted by: Section220 | November 13, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@1a1: The Nationals side of the bullpen got burned off in yesterday's 11-5 win. Mandel had 2.0IP and a hold, Wilkie threw 1IP, and Storen closed, 1.0IP but no save opportunity.

They all should be ready to go in support of Strasburg on Saturday. One note - Marrero has been missing from the lineup / box over the last two days; Hope it's just something minor.

Posted by: BinM | November 13, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"I have the uneasy feeling that Rizzo knows his own limits all too well and is not going to hire anyone who would overshadow him—clearly he felt Valentine would have, after the four-hour interview."

Somehow I doubt that. Look at the FO types he has hired. All are hard chargers.

I think Rizzo has a plan (unlike certain other teams in town). I believe he is looking for people to help him implement it. It may that Valentine prefers expensive veterans, prefers trading prospects for "his guys". I don't think Rizzo is going to do that ... unless the guy fits into the model.

Posted by: periculum | November 13, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Glad you enjoyed it, sec220, and thanks for the 'pen info, BinM. I was wondering about Marrero, too.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 13, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

On the MI debate, at SS there is currently Cabrera (35yo, w/MIN in 2009), and Scutaro (34yo, w/TOR in 2009) to look at as Type-A Free Agents; Most of the others presently available are non-comp FA's. Of that group, Crosby (30yo, OAK), Everett (33yo, DET), Alex Gonzalez (32yo, BOS) and McDonald (35yo, TOR) look to be the best of the bunch.
From that, either Cabrera or McDonald might be the best fit, for different reasons.

At 2B, it's slim pickings - Hudson (32yo, w/LAD in '09) or Polanco (34yo, w/DET in '09) are Type-A; Non-comps might include Kennedy (34yo, OAK) or Uribe (31yo, SF). From this foursome, I like Hudson or Kennedy.

With only Guzman (32yo), Desmond (25yo) & AGonz (27yo) in-house, the team needs a couple more options at MI, and the MiLB players (Espinosa, Lombardozzi, Soriano, Kobernus) are all a year or two away, at best. Maybe the team holds back until the tender/non-tender decisions are made; There might be more options available then.

Posted by: BinM | November 13, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Cabrera is not going to be offered arbitration - it's in his contract - so he will not be a Type A.

Posted by: sec307 | November 13, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@307: Absolutely correct on Cabrera, but would you see him as a viable option for the Nationals at SS?

Posted by: BinM | November 13, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the AFL game is going to be on TV?

Thanks

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | November 13, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The Rockies non-tendered Betencourt -- now there's a reliever the Nats should go after.

Posted by: nats24 | November 14, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

That's why MLB has exiled Valentine to Japan or TV -- he's smarter than all the GMs. It's only the dumb managers who have long careers. Course, a really smart guy might find a way not to make the GM feel insecure and yet win ballgames. But that smart guy would have to think it wasn't all about him.

Posted by: markfromark | November 14, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Nick, sadly, the only AFL games slated to be broadcast were the Rising Stars game last weekend and the championship game, which will take place next Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping that we'll be able to see the D-Dogs then, if they can hold on to their divisional lead.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Or their "league" lead, rather.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the Peoria Javelinas clinched the AFL West yesterday due to the Peoria Saguaros loss. So we know we'll be seeing them (and their IMO very cool logo) again.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Or their "division" lead. I'm so confused.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Whatever, here's hoping the D-Dogs hold on in the East and face the Javelinas next Saturday.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Chico?....The only Chico I can find associated with the Nats was @ AA last season after missing all of 2008 with surgery.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 14, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who do the Twitter thing, I just stumbled across this:

Also, there appear to be a number of AFL-related videos on YouTube, some of them from this year.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I think the idea that Rizzo didn't hire Valentine because of *ego* is the silliest idea I've heard here in a long time.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 14, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks 1a1! Hopefully we will see them next weekend!

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | November 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | November 13, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I think he'd be just as good as the other choices. If we're just going to do a 1-yr deal, then his age doesn't really matter. That said, I'm not against a glove guy like Gonzales or Visquel. I am against giving up a draft pick for a one year guy though, regardless.

Cabrera was an Expo, so that makes him a little more appealing, if only for sentimental reasons.

Posted by: sec307 | November 14, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

After churning some data this morning, I'm re-thinking my prior position.
I'd almost rather have the Nationals go after either Polanco or Uribe at 2B, and keep Guzman at SS. If the team insists that Guzman is their 2B for 2010, then either sign McDonald or Everett to a short-term deal (1-yr+) at SS, or wait for the non-tenders.
As a backup, get Orr back under a minor-league contract in SYR for 2010.

Posted by: BinM | November 14, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@307: Interesting timing on your response, simply because I'm personally backing away from Cabrera as a SS solution. In 2009, he was durable (1388.2 Innings, 711 Fielding chances), but Guzman actually had the better UZR/150 rating (Guzman at -2.6, Cabrera at -13.7), and handled slightly more chances per game played (4.77 versus 4.61).

Offensively, they were nearly the same player, with Guzman at .284/.306/.390, versus Cabrera at .284/.316/.389, so it would be a draw there.

Posted by: BinM | November 14, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | November 14, 2009 9:20 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not these days when the job is to be more of a functionary for the front office than what a real manager actually did 20-30 years ago when the FO's job was to get players and the field boss mostly decided how they were deployed. These days FO's - not just the Nats - fingerprints are all over when and how a lot of players are used.

Posted by: leetee1955 | November 14, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@leetee: Times change, and we adapt. Nowadays, the Manager's duties can seem to be more of an extension of the FO edicts onto the field, in particular where an inexperienced Manager is controlled by an overbearing GM or meddling owners (see NYY- the CBS to early Steinbrenner years, CIN- the Marge Schott years, KC- the post-Kauffmann years, or MON/WSH- the MLB / Bowden years).

Hopefully, the Nationals are moving away from that type of either micro-management or neglect into a period of true on-field player management, while the FO looks at ways to improve the ML product from the outside.

Posted by: BinM | November 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

BinM,

I think I agree with you. Considering Cabrera would be more expensive than other options, I think defense should be the priority.

Posted by: sec307 | November 14, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The suggestion in a couple of comments was that Rizzo would have been threatened by Valentine's baseball knowledge and that's why he didn't hire him. This is what I find ridiculous.

Sure, Valentine may have a huge ego and may have been a pain in the ask. And that may very well be why Rizz didn't hire him. But I guarantee it wasn't because Rizzo was afraid of V's baseball knowledge.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 14, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as how we might not see a new post for a day or two, I'll report that Strasburg and the D-Dogs each picked up another win this afternoon. It was evidently a 1-0 squeaker. It looks as though no Nats position players saw action.

Strasburg's line: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 0 HR. He threw 64 pitches, 36 of them for strikes. His ratio of groundouts to flyouts was 4-1.

Storen's line: 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 0 HR. He threw 30 pitches, 18 of them for strikes. His ratio of groundouts to flyouts was 3-1.

D-Dogs fans in attendance may have needed nitro tablets for the final inning. After the first two batters singled, a flyout by the next one advanced them. This was followed by an intentional walk. Storen then proceeded to strike out the final two hitters to strand the bases loaded. Whew.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@1a1

we got your details right here,,,

Posted by: surly_w | November 14, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I saw a couple of notes about the two players traded with Bonifacio for Willingham and Olson. Smolinski is going to be in the Marlins Top 30 prospects, but down at #25. P.J. Dean was hurt all last year and his status is "murky". If the Nationals offer hold on to Olson (as I hope they do), the trade looks even better one year later.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 14, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Surly. I noticed that after I'd posted my summary.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The MLB site has a gamer now, too:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 14, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Grissom out as Nats !B/OF coach.

Posted by: leetee1955 | November 15, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Good Move getting Grissom out. From early spring training it was clear that he was not the right guy for the job. He had no effect on Milledge or Dukes in the Spring. Milledge was worse in CF than the year before and Grissom did not have the guts to tell the truth.....On the bases, time after time we had Dukes and others picked off 1st. Clearly he was not a coach that was effective.

Good for Rizzo and Riggs....I see a new bench coach as well. I think Pat L did a fine job at third. Infield Defense was poor but it is clear by reading Lannan and Zimmerman's comments that Acta was responsible for the incredibly poor defense and fundamentals.

I have my plans to visit spring training again this year. I will be able to tell very quickly if Riggs changes the culture that Acta had put in place.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 15, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Not surprised that Grissom was let go thought Ray Charles was coaching first base (sorry Ray)and yeah Milledge and Dukes got worse not better, that being said i'm always sad to see old school players who coach get the axe especially men of color since those ranks appear to be dwindling.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 15, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Grissom still has a job somewhere in the organization according to Ladson's report. Chances are JayBeee will still be seeing him at spring training working with young players.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | November 15, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Almost forgot; today is my daughters 17th B'DAY time flies, like most of you who have kids they grow up fast; we're having a huge family dinner here in Atl. her older brothers have already called from back home(DC Area) along with aunts and uncles from far and wide,join me in wishing Sydney a very happy birthday!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 15, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Grissom will be replace Cedeno in the GCL....that is about where he belongs....He has a lot to learn as a coach.

ABM....i'll let you know what differences I see from Acta's country club spring training that always led to a very slow underachieving start to the season.....

Posted by: JayBeee | November 15, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

A very happy birthday to Dargegmag's Sydney! May she find much to give her joy, and, like Nats fans, never give up, never lose hope, and when things look darkest, your team will go 7-0!

Posted by: flynnie321 | November 15, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I second the birthday wishes for Sydney. I hope that she gets to do whatever she wants today (within reason) to celebrate - girrl power! ;-). I also second dargramps re. Grissom's departure. Off the field, I particularly appreciated what he brought to the organization as far as his youth baseball association. I hope that the team will continue to work on that front in the community at large.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 15, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

JayBeee, ABM may care about what you see in spring training, but I don't. Because I'm not ABM. If you can't figure that out, then how can we assume you know what the hell you're seeing in spring training?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | November 15, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that John McLaren is listed by Ladson as a possible coach for WSH in 2010 - Riggleman took over for McLaren in SEA in 2008.

Foli, I think we know about; The other two candidates mentioned (Lett & Radison), not so much. Jim Lett was last listed in Baseball-Reference.com as a Manager at Charleston in 1990; Radison shows up as a low-minors Manager w/the Mets, Yankees & Cardinals, last seen with Johnson City in 2006.

I don't see a pitching coach in this bunch, but what do I really know?

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@bisquit: Even if Olsen gets handed his walking papers this winter, I still see that trade as a plus for the Nats - A starting LF with 20+HR power, for a speedy singles hitter with no real position & a couple of low-minors "prospects".

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Has it been noted in this forum that Glenn Gibson, traded straight up for Elijah Dukes as I recall, was released by Tampa Bay at the end of last month?

Oh, and more fuel for JayBee's fire...A friend of mine took the official tour of Nats' Stadium last week and, while visiting the batting cages, was told by the guide (who apparently also works as an usher or in somesuch community relations job there during the summer) that under Rigs the pitchers began taking bunting practice (unlike under the Acta regime).

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | November 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@Cap: Interesting anecdote - Seems like Riggleman has, and will continue to place an emphasis on fundementals (BP for pitchers, Infield drills & practice prior to games, etc). Definitely an old-school approach, but greatly needed for a team that struggled to execute the basics over the last few years.

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

wholesale sports shoes,Sneakers,cheap jordan shoes,cheap nike shoes, air max,nike air force one

Af1,nike shox,Cheap ed hardy t-shirts,gucci t-shirts,ed hardy bikini, wholesale jeans, coach bags,

gucci,gucci handbags,gucci shoes,cheap handbags,sunglasses,relox watches;
www.ali-wholesale.com

Posted by: hell0715 | November 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, we'll see the 2010 Nationals coaching staff announced on Monday or Tuesday (maybe some more MiLB staff assignments as well).

I'd like to see the team retain Eckstein as Hitting coach, and Listach as 3B coach. Offer either the 1B or bench job to Foli; The pitching coach, bench/1B & bullpen jobs are choices to be made by Riggleman. The organization should give McCatty another shot as the pitching coach for SYR, and offer Grissom a spot with the Nationals portion of the "RBI" program, working with youth programs in the Metro area & MiLB franchise areas.

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not second-guessing the Grissom decision, but he seems like a good guy and I wish him well. This statement above from JayBeee strikes me as a bit unfair. "Milledge was worse in CF than the year before and Grissom did not have the guts to tell the truth." Granted, Milledge couldn't track down metal with a magnet. But Grissom was not reticent about his frustration. Note this from Amy Shipley's April 8 gamer. "Milledge's performance has perplexed Nationals outfield instructor Marquis Grissom, a four-time Gold Glove outfielder who also was among the game's best leadoff men during his 17-year career. "I don't know if it's the lighting or he's nervous," Grissom said, "or what it is." Meantime, a lot of folks are fixated on a new SS. Why not go after O-Dawg for 2b and let it play out with Guzman for another year. Nyjer and Hudson would make quite a dynamic duo.

Posted by: Drew8 | November 15, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Conjecture based on web searches -- Jim Lett has experience as a bullpen coach and bench coach and served with Riggleman on the Dodgers staff several years ago. John McLaren and Riggleman were roomates on the Mariners before McLaren was fired and Riggs took over. Seems like the most likely of those listed in the Ladson article to get the Bench Coach job. First Base Coach could go to Dan Radison who was Riggleman's roommate when he coached first base for Riggs on the Cubs.

Eckstien seems a lock to remain as hitting coach. Listach seems likely to stay as 3B Coach. McCatty is the only one I am a little unclear on but I think he stays too.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 15, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

spam, hard sell, junk mail, huckster, ballyhoo, hype, sales pitch, plug, tout, promo, hook

---

gucci,gucci handbags,gucci shoes,cheap handbags,sunglasses,relox watches;
www.ali-wholesale.com

Posted by: hell0715 | November 15, 2009 12:59 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

oops, sorry for repeating the URL.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 15, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Not so fast, 1a -- I hear those Relox watches are the best!

I've got one where the hands actually move--do you think they sell one like that?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, cool. Do the hands have gloves on them?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

wholesale outfielders, sleeper picks, cheap catchers, cheap relievers, cheap marketing plans,
Factory-second-basemen, troubled Toolsey hitters, wholesale centerfielders, cheap baserunners,
bench coaches, wacky bullpen coaches, cheap hitting coaches, poor hitting infielders, leather Pants, cheap used segweighs, Rolaids watches.
www.jimbo-wholesale.com

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@drew: I think the Nationals are already out regarding Hudson as a 2B solution - they bailed on him last year, remember?
The more likely solution seems Guzman at 2B, with a FA/trade acquisition at SS, AGonz on the bench & Desmond starting in SYR at SS.

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@natsbiscuits/bisquit: Good dig on the coaching prospects - where did you find them?

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

This from MLBTR: At least one player agent is whining about the size of Citi Field (per Joel Silver, NY Post - One agent tells Sherman that the Mets "are not a destination spot right now, especially if you are a hitter. You would be going to a questionable team playing in a huge park."

Wwh-hh-aaa-aaa; I feel so bad for the FA's, their agents, & the Mets. Do they want us to create a benovlent fund?

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

BinM:

I know the Nats passed on Hudson last year, but I thought they were wary of his wrist injury. This year he played 149 games, had 551 ABs and hit .283, even though he lost time to Belliard at the end. I know he started this year like gangbusters. Is his health still an issue?

Posted by: Drew8 | November 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Drew:

It's more like "umm, no thanks" in regards to Hudson, imo.
Think about it - the team passed on him in 2009 due to a "phantom" physical. The team he signs with replaces him, in a playoff run no less, with a former Nationals player, acquired for two minor-league pitchers.

You figure out the relative value for yourself - I think it's none.

Posted by: BinM | November 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I just google'd the names of the candidates that Ladson had reported. Various entries. Mostly just historical trivia, not news articles.

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 15, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 15, 2009 10:28 AM
___________________________________

Dar-Gramps: I have followed along with the posts regarding the birth of the grandchild. I pass along my well wished for 17 year old Sydney...

I have a 14 year old daughter and have one question...When does the ATTITUDE go away? I love my little girl, but, as God is my witness, I think the odds of her getting to 15 are slim...

Posted by: TimDz | November 15, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I went to spring training last year and reported that Milledge had not improved one bit in CF at the Plate or on the bases. After reading Chico's reporting that form "extensive" talks with Grissom, Cedeno the story reported was that Milledge was working hard and improving fast. Grissom had nothing but praise for Milledge in the Chico feature story.

I watched Milledge practice the day before a game and he was dogging it badly. His throws into the infield were dribblers and he let balls drop just 15 feet from him.......next day in the game he swung at the first pitch 3 out of 4 AB's. He was picked of first and forgot how many outs there were and got doubled off after reaching 2nd on a error. He misplayed two balls in CF into a triple and a double.

I wrote it here that night and the rest is history......and yes Acta never pushed anyone to work on fundamentals the 4 days I spend watching drills in camp....it looked like a fantasy camp practice....nobody got any heat for making the same mistake time after time......Read the latest quotes from Lannan and Zimm or if you can stand it Ladson tonight is now telling all about Acta fundamentals......classic....where were you last spring Bill....

Posted by: JayBeee | November 15, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, wonder why a MLB team has not hired you yet?

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 15, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Periculum and JayBee a real tag team!

The all knowing twins.

Posted by: WashOut | November 16, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Alright 1a, how about a rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas! LOL.

I did a version of Santa Baby for the City Council when they were deliberating the cost of NATS Park. If I find it I'll post it.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | November 16, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

My version was inspired by an earlier comment, calsgr8. As you are probably aware, we "artistes" have to wait for the muse to visit us. ;-) Now, if somebody else should happen to be so inspired, that's fine. Would love to see your version of Santa Baby!

In other news, let's hope that the D-Dogs can put another (curly?) W in the book against the Solar Sox this afternoon. If that were to happen, then by my figuring, Phoenix would clinch the division. Go, D-Dogs! BTW, Byron Kerr took a question about Marrero's status over on the MASN site and promised to get back to the reader with info on that and more AFL doings.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Really it is just a matter observing what you see, listening to what coaches are saying and putting it together.......If you have not been to spring training then you really are missing out on the chance to see what the real story is with players....not the Chico and Ladson spin on what Kasten wants them to see.

At spring training you go to games yes but the real fun is walking around the back fields and watching and listening to what is said. You can get close enough to hear the instruction. Last year I was able to stand by Rick E as he watched commented on with other players on each hitter taking BP. I was able to stand next to Spin Williams as he watched bull pen sessions and his impressions of pitchers flowed easily.

It is strange because Chico was nowhere to be seen on the back fields in the 4 days I was there. This is where I picked the supporting information that told me Milledge was heading in the wrong direction last spring.....not from reading Chico who had him making great progress and ready to lead off.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Dukes has started playing Winter Ball. Hit a HR and scored two runs in first game. We should remember from last years A Hernandez stats that anyone can look good in Winter Ball.

Dukes played CF which really makes me wonder what Rizzo is thinking....Dukes knees are bad. He will never be a CF for Nats. My guess is that Rizzo is trying to pump up his trade value and that Dukes will be traded soon.....before he gets hurt in CF.

I would have paid Dukes to stay in DC and work with Filben to strengthen his legs and then send him to Spring Training early to work with Eck on hitting curve balls and taking pitches.

Having him in Dominican league in CF seems like they have no plan for him as a Nat.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

JayBeee, Dukes is in the Dominican to learn how to hit the curve ball, no more no less. Unlike the AFL, MLB teams don't give specific directives to Dominican teams on how to use their players. Dukes is probably playing CF because that's where they can fit him in to get him in the lineup most every day. Recall that Belliard for instance was playing third in the Dominican last year, although the Nationals really didn't need to develop him as a third baseman.

The alternative to Dukes going to the Dominican to get more ABs against the curve ball would be for him to sit at home doing nothing. You'd prefer that?

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I would prefer he work this fall to strength/improve his knees......then head to a league that the Nats can control where he is a DH/Pinch Hitter. Licey can have him if they DH him....if not then he goes to another league or early Spring Training. We know what happens when he plays in CF.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Licey used Willy Mo Pena as a DH in that game. I would bet if the Nats made it a condition of playing for Licey Dukes would have been the DH.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

They probably have weights and cardio in the DR as well. Maybe not a/c, but probably exercise equipment for conditioning. :)

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 16, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 16, 2009 10:03 AM
******************

You HOPE it's the Muse ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 16, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

JayBee doesn't seem to understand that MLB teams have absolutely no control over how their players are used in the Dominican. About the only thing they could do would be to prohibit their players from playing there - although I doubt they could even do that.

As for playing CF being so dangerous to Dukes, how is it that he pulled a hammy on Opening Day 2008 while running the bases after starting in LF? Bad managing by Acta? Bad karma from being next to Milledge in CF? You know all, JayBee. Explain that one.

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The Cleveland Indians hired Tim Tolman as ......... Bench Coach ......... whew!!!! That was close. They had an opening at 3B Coach too. :o

Posted by: natbiscuits | November 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

God the Indians are stupid.....worse than Jimbo......these clowns are going to get fired by All Star Break THIS YEAR.

Fan in Cleveland know baseball....they are not going to put up with Acta's farce.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Lack of off season conditioning program and streching....that is why I would have put him under a contract that has contract this winter that helps him pay his child supports and controls him........try to think outside the box 307......Dukes would jump at an extra $200,000 this winter to do what we want him to do.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Timdz: Sorry for not getting back to you sooner and Syd says thank's to all for hearfelt B'day wish's Timdz; as far as your 14yr old is concerned(funny post by the way about her making it to fifteen)my wife and i are older parents(close to sixty)so we're old school and Syd has the benefit of older sisters and brothers(all grown) so we set the bar high in terms of respect,courtesies,morality, and so on don't get me wrong we're not prude's not by a long shot(not with five kids) but like you and all parents we have standard's and Syd is a pretty good kid i.e.she's never violated a curfew now if we can just get her to keep her room clean.................. just hang in there Timdz she will come around(but don't ever lower your standard's and expectation's) good luck!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Nats' roster has some open hires.
Stan's still asking "What's the rush?"
Yule Log's contract, among others, has expired,
and fans dress up like Tony Plush.

Everybody gush...
es over Peter Franchise' glove;
Webgems made the season bright.
Adam Dunn, or the big mitt thereof,
will keep his throws from landing in right.

They know that Strasburg's on his way,
He's got a hundred miles per hour, and a change.
And every armchair GM scans the wire
To find a closer, who really knows how to fire.

and so I'm offering this simple phrase
to fans with hope, thus not unlike ourselves,
Although it's been said, many times, many ways:
"Wait til next year! Or 20-12."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | November 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

ops 309 and stretching

Regardless.....Tim T is who the Indians pick......priceless....

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice, sec3.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, how does offseason stretching and squats help Dukes learn to hit the curve ball? I don't know about you, but that's what I and everyone else want him to do during the offseason. Because it's now or never for him if he doesn't learn that.

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

nice work, Sec3!

gee, wouldn't ya think there be a new post by now?

Posted by: nats24 | November 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I do believe Chico Harlan has a new post by now. It ain't here, though.

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

First get healthy and strong then go to winter ball under a contract with Nats where they can control where he plays....that would be DH and some RF....not CF.....if that is not possible then head to Spring Training in Early January where he works with Rick E everyday on hitting the Curve.....that would work......Winterball on his own.....I doubt it....why would that work now....he has done it several times before.......He needs coaching not washed up vets who Anderson Hernandez can and Corey Casto can light up.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, if Rick E throws such a good curve ball why isn't he down there pitching in the Dominican?

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

don't be such a simpleton 309.......you sound like you never played baseball.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

No, JayBeee, I never played the game. But as with anything else, would you not agree that you can learn much more during actual game conditions than you can in practice? Even washed up major league pitchers would have to be better in actual competitive leagues like the Dominican than they are on a practice field in Florida. If Dukes can't play some games in CF without endangering his career, then he shouldn't be playing anyway.

Posted by: section309 | November 16, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Point is he has played 1000s of games and still has not learned to hit a curve ball......with little or no coaching focused on helping him in winter ball the same thing will happen again...he would be better off in a cage in Florida with Rick E.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 16, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We can all go read the new post or we can stay here and enjoy this episode of Point/Counterpoint. I know what I'm going to do. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 16, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse