Boras: Pudge wants 3,000 hits

Surrounded by a full circle of cameramen, videographers and reporters with busy Twitter accounts, agent Scott Boras spoke for about 30 minutes today, describing his various free agent clients with every flattering device short of the sonnet. At one point during the hype-mongering, a reporter from a Large Northeast Market turned around to me and whispered, "The Nationals aren't getting any of these guys."

Tsk, tsk.

Okay, so no Holliday, no Damon, etc. The Nats already got their Boras client.

After the pack peeled away, Boras took a few questions about Ivan Rodriguez.

Q: How do you think Ivan Rodriguez will benefit the Nationals?

Well, I think he'll help in many ways. He'll help with their young pitchers. He's gonna help with our young client Flo and really give him a rare side of the science. [The last part of the that phrase was tough to pick up on the audio; I think that's what Boras said.] He's going to bring a lot of information to the locker room about winning and game-calling and performing under pressure and all those things.

Q: How much will he help Flores?

A lot. [With] game-calling, how to play every day, what to look at. All those things. You're really talking about a guy that has played as long as he has -- they key to it is how he conditions himself, what he does in the offseason, all those things. Also, Pudge, you're really talking about getting a library of catching. It's really an opportunity for a young pitching staff and a young catcher who's got a lot of ability.

Q: Ultimately why was he able to get the two-year deal? Why did he still have that value?

Well, because everybody was offering Pudge higher levels on a one-year deal. Some people still wanted him to play every day, so it was a decision where Pudge wanted to stay there for a couple years and that's what it took to bring him there, because everybody else was offering higher deals on a one-year basis.

Q: So he was okay with his role as described?

Oh yes. Definitely. They defined the role and Rizzo was very candid about it, and we told Pudge, Pudge's hope is that he wants to try to get to 3,000 hits.

By Chico Harlan  |  December 9, 2009; 4:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vote for best of the decade
Next: Rizzo Day III Briefing

Comments

Ahem...so much for the "menioring" aspect of the signing. What happens when Flores is in harness for 120 games a season and Pudge isn't moving any closer to the 3,000 mark?

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...just wanted to repost this from an earlier thread....stuff's coming in fast!!And of course my ego thinks that this is worth reading!

Hey Gang....lots of interesting stuff going on, but two posts grabbed my attention.
Kev29-absolutely. Doesn't mean Riggs will be a better manager but it's sure gotta count for something in the bank of life. And I hope that the fact of his dad not seeing him play and the tragedy of his death will HELP Elijah continue to mature into the decent human he seems to be. AND provide fuel to really reach for his potential as a ballplayer.On those fronts, I totally agree, Sbiel2.
Ya know, I've lived in the city for years, and my 'hood- on what used to be the edge of Capital Hill has undergone drastic gentrification. But having seen up close all sorts of social "pathologies", I don't believe most folks realize just how hard it is/can be to "Do the right thing" when you spend your formative years in an environment that offers very few reinforcements or encouragements to engage in that sort of behavior.Don't get me wrong-we're ALL for "personal responsibility"-and your envirnment isn't an excuse for inexcusable behavior. But it IS an explanation...and I wonder just how many of us realize how lucky we were to NOT have to have faced the question of what would I have done coming from similar circumstances.
So, yeah...I'm a big Elijah fan.And just from a baseball perspective, if he can ever put it half way together on the field.....Wow!
Sorry, gang, for the non-baseball editorializing.....and
Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | December 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

wish chico and dave could save some stuff for posting during the baseball fallow portions of the impending long cold winter.

Posted by: surly_w | December 9, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"with every flattering device short of the sonnet."

Marvelous.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Glad Boras was able to clear up what I stated a day or two ago on Steinberg's Bog. Text below. Hold your applause, really.

-----

Bowden is funny. I wonder if he thinks people actually believe anything he says.

Anyhoo, don't discount Pudge's opportunity to play more often with the Nats than with other teams. That, and the two years, and yes the 6 mil, all add up to one thing I haven't heard much talk about - Pudge is pretty close to 3,000 hits. He probably won't get there unless he catches more than 120 games each of the two seasons, but don't ever underestimate the ego of a superstar player in hitting those types of numbers for the HOF resume. Does he need 3,000 to make the Hall, of course not, but I'd be willing to bet he wants it pretty bad. Just my opinion.

Posted by: ryaneades | December 8, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ryaneades | December 9, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

taking surly to a new level ... too much posting?

Posted by: natbiscuits | December 9, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Re-sign Livo, and use him as DH when we're playing in American League parks.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Translation of Boras-speak to English:

"Also, Pudge, you're really talking about getting a library of catching."

Translation: He's old.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 9, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, having a young hot-shot catcher certainly did not set the Orioles afire this past season.

So seeing the aging iRod play some games won't be all that bad. Yes, he's old, but so what?

Posted by: JohnRDC | December 9, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 9, 2009 4:32 PM

-----------------

Not really sure that mentoring has anything to do with his desire for 3,000 hits.

Look, Pudge is 289 hits away from 3,000. Of course he wants to get there, but he knows that it will take at lest two seasons to reach it. Obviously why he wanted a two-year deal.

If (fingers crossed) Flores stays healthy and can start 120 games, Pudge should still be able to start a couple games a week, pinch hit, DH for inter-league games, and maybe get close to 100 hits/year. Enough to go after a one-year deal at the end of this contract...assuming he doesn't get traded sometime in the next two years.

In the meantime, the Nats have a solid backup who can take over as a starter if Flores can't stay healthy. And a respected veteran who will be a presence in the clubhouse and who can work with young pitchers and catchers.

I'm sure there are other variables, but it still looks to me like a good fit for both parties.

Posted by: js_edit | December 9, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods wants to get 3000 hits too, and it appears he's closing in on it. Even without Scott Boras' help.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | December 9, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

bisquit

hardly surly...but wistful.

Posted by: surly_w | December 9, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Look, I don't dislike Bob Carpenter. And I understand that calling a live baseball game isn't a cakewalk, and the Maxwell homer was by no means a no-doubter.

Other announcers have to deal with the same realities. Some excel. Others get by. Some fail.

There are ways that Carpenter could have called that play without absolutely robbing it of its drama and excitement. In this instance, even his signature "does he have it?" would have maintained some suspense while he determined the outcome.

Even the Babe took a bad swing every now and then. I'm not trying to say that the call makes Carpenter a bad announcer. But it was an atrocious call.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 9, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're wishing, here's another headline:

Sources: JohninMpls wants an LCD TV.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 9, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"But those qualifiers don't change the fact that it was the worst single call I've ever heard."

Worse than Chip Caray getting a call WRONG in a playoff game? Or did you not hear that one?

I was there for the game, and just watching that play unfold had all the drama and excitement you could ever want. Even if I'd had to listen to Bob Carpenter read from the phone book during it, that drama and excitement would not have been taken away. Carpenter and other commentators are announcing or analyzing a live event. Their job is not to create drama, suspense, boredom or anything else. The game does that for itself. The best announcers get out of the way of that, but even the worst announcer can't destroy it. If you want drama created, you're looking in the wrong pace if you expect any announcer to do that.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | December 9, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what others might say, I'm still on board with this signing; Pudge fits a need on this team, and as long as he's comfortable with what the team wants from him, it's a win-win in my mind.

On the starting pitching front, the Nationals ave been rumoured to be "kicking the tires" on a few FA types - Garland, Marquis, Pinero, Bedard, Davis, Harden, Livo, Smoltz, Padilla, & Washburn. Here's my gut reaction:
A resounding "NO" to Bedard & Padilla. Both of them have had issues with the way they have been treated / handled with previous teams. In addition, Bedard has been fragile physically for the last 2-3 years.

With Pinero, Marquis & Washburn, I'm indifferent; They have winning records, but their numbers don't rate with what you would look for from a #1SP. They seem to win those 8-5 or 11-8 slugfests, but don't look for a lot of 3-2 or 2-1 decisions.

Garland might be the best #1 candidate available as a FA. If he were to show any real interest in coming here, make a market-rate +$1M/yr initial offer & see what develops.

Davis & Harden strike me as possible #2-3 starters, even with WSH. Either of them would strengthen the starting rotation, but they aren't really #1SP candidates, due to either age or health.

Livo & Smoltz bring a wealth of experience, but not a lot else. Picking up either one of them as a #4-5 starter wouldn't kill the team, serving as a placeholder for a younger arm (I'd prefer Smoltz, simply because of what other pitchers on staff might learn from him).

Trades are still a viable option for acquiring a solid #1 - ATL, CIN, DET and others are still looking to shed salary.

Just my thoughts - Comments?

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@John: What Crapenter needed at that moment was the ability to channel Vin Scully... "It's high... It's deep... Is it enough?... .... IT'S GONE!

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@BinM

Don't forget the home run call of the late, great harry Caray was "It might be...it could be...it IS!"

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 9, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

********

Huh?

Um, have you actually HEARD an announcer, including Carpenter most of the time, when something suspenseful and exciting has happened? They're the DEFINITION of creating drama.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 9, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@leetee: Exactly.

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW - on the Nats.com Season's Greetings e-card, they used Charlie's more definitive call of the Maxwell walk-off slam.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 9, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Everybody - The TV call on Maxwell's grand-salami might well have been Bob Carpenter's "crawl under the desk & hide" moment in hindsight.

It was a euphoric moment for those of us labelled as "Nats' fans", but a horrid call nontheless. As we enter the season of giving & forgiveness, shouldn't we all just let it go?

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

BinM, or at least quit being so freaking serious about the damn call (guilty as charged).

Could we at least have some fun/snark with it?

Posted by: NatsNut | December 9, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

That's funny. I was about to post that surly's post struck me as more wistful than surly when I scrolled down and read this.

---

bisquit

hardly surly...but wistful.

Posted by: surly_w | December 9, 2009 5:33 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 9, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

So, you're saying that he's the Library of Atlantis?

---

Translation of Boras-speak to English:

"Also, Pudge, you're really talking about getting a library of catching."

Translation: He's old.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@NN: Of course we can (I'm even guilty of it) - After all, the isn't the No Fun League we're commenting on.

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@1a1: Perhaps you meant the Library of Alexandria (burned up, everything lost, only pieces recovered by hearsay / word of mouth)? Oh, no you didn't - I don't wanna hear that - You never even thought that. Say it, Say It, SAY ITTTT!

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I loved the Off Seasons Greetings card, leetee. I've played it several times in a somewhat futile attempt to recreate the rush of that moment at the park. I suppose that's partly what keeps drawing me back in each spring. Hope that they'll keep the card up until at least March! ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 9, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

And he growled with his Grinch fingers
nervously drumming.
"I must find some way
to keep Carpenter bumming...."

Posted by: Drew8 | December 9, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dang! I sure did mean Alexandria, BinM, but only in regard to age, not all of that other stuff. I must have temporarily lost my mind, like the city that was lost; what was it called again? Oh. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 9, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

For those trying to defend Bobby Crapenter's God-awful call on Maxwell's slam, noting the uncertainty of it all, consider this:

Charlie Slowes made his memorable call probably sitting less than 50 feet away from Crap. And he got it right. And it was just as difficult for Charlie to tell if the ball was out. But he got it done.

Is there any definitive word on whether, indeed, Crap is coming back, ugh, again?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 9, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@Sunshine: He has to come back, if only to keep you from changing your 'nom-de-plume' again.

Posted by: BinM | December 9, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Now back to the Winter Meetings;

Jon Morosi Fox Sports reporting Mets and Nationals continue pursuing Marquis. Don't rule out Phillies.

Maybe something will happen tonight! BTW tomorrow is the Rule 5 Draft and then the meetings break up around 1PM. Come on Rizzo pull the string Jason Marquis and Jon Garland will set the table in 2010. Pleezzzzze!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | December 9, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

When you talk about Carpenter, I instantly go back to Bob Wolff, considered one of the classic announcers.

He spent years trying to make a very bad, very dull Senators' lineup exciting. Every well hit ball was almost a homer. Every soft line-out was a blue darter, etc.

Ironically, he couldn't tone it down when the lineup suddenly included Sievers, Killebrew, Allison, and Lemon. He ended up sounding like he was almost foaming at the mouth.

Posted by: Catcher50 | December 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

There isnt anything I like more than someone who says "I told you so".

ryaneades, thanks for making my day.

By the way, you said Pudge wanted 3000 hits yesterday, not a couple days ago. I know this because you included the time stamp in the cut/paste of your "I told you so" re-post.

So even though you could have just reposted this info from the MLBtraderumors remarks section on the signing, I still appreciate you taking the time to tell everyone what you said.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | December 9, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Dibble will second guess every pitch selection by this future Hall of Famer. "You have to pitch inside," until the next batter hits the inside pitch for a home run, then Dibble tears the pitcher a new one for pitching inside. Oh well, at least IR may be fun to watch. Wish he could hit like he used to.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | December 10, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse