Cathcart named manager of Class A Potomac

The Nationals just released their 2010 minor league managing and coaching assignments, and there is lots of continuity there from 2009. The only new face among the six managers in the system is Gary Cathcart, 46, who was named the manager of the Class A Potomac Nationals following seven years in the Toronto Blue Jays' organization.

Two other significant changes: First, that Trent Jewett makes the leap from Potomac to Class AAA Syracuse; the 2010 season will be his 17th as a minor league manager. Jewett replaces Tim Foli, who, I'm told, has been named "special advisor to the general manager, for player development." (Essentially, Foli will oversee all minor league instruction.)

Also, Randy Knorr, who spent the 2009 season as the Nationals' bullpen coach, returns to the minors as the manager of Class AA Harrisburg.

The other managers: Matt LeCroy (Class A Hagerstown, second season), Jeff Garber (short-season Class A Vermont, second season) and Bobby Williams (rookie-level Gulf Coast League Nationals, first season).

Here is the full list of assignments:

2010 MINOR LEAGUE COORDINATORS

Field Coordinator.................................................... Bobby Henley
Infield Coordinator..................................................... Jeff Garber*
Pitching Coordinator.............................................. Spin Williams
Rehab Pitching Coordinator...................................... Mark Grater
Hitting Coordinator....................................................... Rick Schu
Medical & Rehab Coordinator.................................. Steve Gober
Outfield/Baserunning Coordinator......................... Devon White
Strength & Conditioning Coordinator......................Landon Brandes
* will also manage Vermont affiliate

2010 MINOR LEAGUE FIELD STAFFS
AFFILIATE (LEVEL): MANAGER, PITCHING COACH, HITTING COACH, TRAINER

Syracuse Chiefs (AAA): Trent Jewett, Greg Booker, Jerry Browne, Beth Jarrett
Harrisburg Senators (AA): Randy Knorr, Randy Tomlin, Troy Gingrich, Atsushi Toriida
Potomac Nationals (A): Gary Cathcart, Paul Menhart, Matt Nokes, Jeff Allred
Hagerstown Suns (A): Matt LeCroy, Chris Michalak, Tony Tarasco, Alan Wood
Vermont Lake Monsters (SS): Jeff Garber, Franklin Bravo, Paul Sanagorski, Jon Kotredes
GCL Nationals (R): Bobby Williams, Joel Sanchez, Sergio Mendez/John Poppert, Wilkin Perez

By Dave Sheinin  |  December 4, 2009; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning reading
Next: Greetings from Indy

Comments

THAT Matt LeCroy? Where've I been? I had no idea!

Posted by: NatsNut | December 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Two names struck me:

What is the story behind Atsushi Toriida? I like his name.

Also Beth Jarrett: http://www.lemondrop.com/2009/07/01/super-woman-beth-jarrett-triple-a-baseball-trainer/

Posted by: stantonpark | December 4, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Matt LeCroy is actually Vinnie "Barberino" Cerrato in disguise.

Posted by: periculum | December 4, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Spin Williams is a great name for a pitching coordinator!

(Sorry; slow day!)

Posted by: poncedeleroy | December 4, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, NatsNut, THAT Matt LeCroy. Apparently, a Hall of Famer's tears hit the ground and turn into jobs.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Yep, and LeCroy was with them last year as well, methinks.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Besides Matt "cry me a river" LeCroy, the name that shouted out to me was Syracuse's Beth Jarrett. A woman in Triple AAA? (there's no crying in baseball!)
A quick google pulled up 2 responses:

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | December 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chekhov1 | December 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Which of these guys is being groomed for interim manager if the Nats' wheels fall off?

Posted by: tailwagger | December 4, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

If only for the sake of irony, I'd think that Nats bench coach John McLaren would be the potential interim guy. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Or would that be a "criss-cross"? ANYway...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Making fun of the Mat LeCroy tears incident shows a total lack of class.

The team was out of catchers and someone needed to step up. LeCroy tried. It's hardly his fault he's not a great catcher. The man tried to help his team by putting himself in a position he was never going to look in. As far as I concerned that earns him my respect.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 4, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was FRobby that cried???

Posted by: sjt1455 | December 4, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

And Team Rizzo pulls one more rabbit out of his hat before trekking to Indy for the Winter Meetings. I like the HAR & POT staffs, in particular - good teachers, and the Knoor/Tomlin combination was a winner in POT in 2008.

Posted by: BinM | December 4, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

It was Frank that was crying, not LeCroy.

Posted by: rgibson25 | December 4, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Frank cried in the post-game press conference because he was wracked with guilt at having put LeCroy in that impossible position. As I recall, LeCroy's response was to try to reassure all (including Frank) that he didn't resent being called upon to catch.

Much fun was made of that incident at the time, but I recall it as a moment of real class and heartfelt emotion, both by Robinson and LeCroy.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | December 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing against Matt LeCroy, but let's not pretend he wasn't in the majors as a catcher. He caught 870+ innings in his MLB career. He was NOT by any means an emergency catcher. He may not have been a very good catcher, but that was his main position when played the field. And after the Nats cut him, he started four games as a catcher for the Twins.

Posted by: nats24 | December 5, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

huh? Are we really *arguing* about Matt LeCroy? Wow.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 5, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that the Winter Meetings will give us some *real* argument fodder. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

OK, so with the season's first snow accumulating in NoVA, I'm more than ready for the Winter Meetings & the Hot Stove season. Bring it on!

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, Stark at ESPN commented that maybe the Nationals are in on Matt Holliday. Interesting. Sign Holliday, trade Willingham as part of a package to the Braves for Javier Vasquez, who knows. But interesting possibilities.

Posted by: jfromPG | December 5, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks but no thanks on Smoltz,listen if you sign Smoltz are you saying he's got more in the tank than Livo, i'm biased but i'd rather have Livo than Smoltz plus i think Smoltz would be more expensive than Livo,remember last off season i was on the sign Pedro bandwagon and was blasted by some of you saying Pedro was a clubhouse "cancer" well we know how that worked out. If i'm Rizzo leave Smoltz right where he is and let's work on our young pitchers.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 5, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

If the winter meetings come, can spring (baseball) be far behind? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals are interested in Matt Holliday - that sounds more like Boras banging up interest in one of his clients than anything for the fans here to get amped up about at this point.

Don't know if Smoltz has much left to give on the mound, but he'd be like a second pitching coach for a young staff (like the Nationals have). Guys like Mock, Martis, Estrada & Balester might pick up something to help them become effective ML pitchers, rather than the 4-A plugins they've been up to now.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Got a card in the mail. Nats aren't just offering renewing STHs those Nats bucks. They're now offering them for ANY new season ticket plan.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Feb. 19 for pitchers & catchers; Feb. 24 for the players. That's 76 days (& counting down).

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think I may have received an email from the team to that effect, but can't recall when (not a STH here).

Also, I thought that this old Onion item was kinda funny (and I'll admit to *some* of the behaviors myself, such as writing on a scorecard and wearing the occasional pin). ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, it's on my calendar, BinM. Check and check.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Somebody should inform SteinBog, so that he doesn't get there too early again. (Oh, snap!)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Food stamps for the ballpark? That's their marketing plan?

OK, free stuff is better than overpriced stuff, I'll give you that, but still. And after all the brilliant marketing ideas I and others here have offered them, gratis. We don't even ask for a free hot dog for our trouble. But, nooooooooooooo. They go with shooting tee shirts, loud music, and losing Teddy.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: They didn't lose Teddy - He's still there, but they do have Teddy losing. Besides, would you rather have shooting Abe, flaming t-shirts & Brahms over the loudspeakers? [end snark].

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they could replace Sweet Caroline with something a little more local. Nothing too new, necessarily. Maybe the early 80's.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of shooting tee shirts, 1c and I were watching tv the other day, and an ad came on. The ad opened by featuring a number of "lame" gift ideas, then went on to offer an alternative (can't remember what the ad was for). Anyway, one of the "lame" ideas was a tee shirt cannon. I turned to my husband and opined that such a cannon would be an awesome gift, and he agreed. Not sure just how and where I'd use it, but it would be awesome nonetheless, IMO. I don't think that we're their target demographic. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Shooting Abe from a cannon outside the center field fence, all the way to home plate! Another brilliant idea!
No, wait, I've got it--shoot Screetch from the cannon, and have him take out Abe just before he crosses the finish line! They could get Eddie the Eagle, the former ski jumper, as a Guest Screetch for the event.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

1a, I think I got yer t-shirt cannon replacement here. http://tinyurl.com/yzaekn6

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, sec3! Now if we can just pull together a punkin-chunker for 1c, we'll be all set. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

1a1, Sec3: I've got the perfect idea - Roll a punkin-chunker (air-cannon or trebuchet) to home plate for the 7th-inning stretch & see if they can clear either the scoreboard, or the crowd from the RedLoft; Just load it with t-shirts, rather than pumpkins.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

sec3: Bad Brains might be a bit too much - How 'bout either Henry Rollins (black flag) or Chuck Brown?

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

1a1, I had the same reaction, and made the same comment to my wife. I might not really want a t-shirt cannon, but I might prefer it over whatever the ad was for (and yeah, what the heck was the ad for?).
----------------
natsfan1a1: I turned to my husband and opined that such a cannon would be an awesome gift, and he agreed.

Posted by: KenNat | December 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure they've already had Chuck Brown out there, not that he couldn't be the house band --- HEY! *There's* a good idea! Nevermind the organist, let Chuck freestyle between plays.
Henry Rollins -- I'd forgotten he was from around here. I wonder if he has a version of TMOTTBG...
Maybe *he* could dive, holding a pumpkin, into the stands -- call it a squash mosh.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I like Build Me Up Buttercup, and fans seem to be getting into it more and more.
I also like That' the Way I Like It, also getting better and better reception.

Posted by: Traveler8 | December 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Excellent, Smithers, er, BinM, excellent!

---

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 2:33 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Great minds think alike, KenNat. I believe that it constitutes an advertising "fail" when viewers can't remember the product. Unless it's been ingrained in us subliminally. Uh oh.

---

----------------

Posted by: KenNat | December 5, 2009 3:11 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"That's the Way I Like It" is okay for me, too, but "Build Me Up Buttercup" is more of an "eh" for me.

Also, "squash mosh" is good, BinM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Odd choice, "Buttercup." Singer (=the fans) with a crush on someone who takes him for granted, ignores him, and generally barely knows he's alive. You *know* he's wasting his time; HE knows he's wasting his time--but he can't help himself.

How about Won't Get Fooled Again, or We're Not Gonna Take It.

I think they do use Baba O'Reilly.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Although they'd have to torque back a bit if they used an official punkin-chunker - the impossible dream for those being to hurl the gourd one mile.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

NO no I got it: No More Mr. Nice Guy -- Alice Cooper

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

7th inning stretch: Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

1a1:
"Squash mosh" was via sec3, but it's a good one. If the Nats were to bring in the punkin-chunker concept, the RedLoft outside seats automatically become the "squash mosh-pit".

sec3: "Won't get fooled again" by the Who should be the rally song for anyone who ever commented on planet NJ. Meanwhile, "Baba O'Reilly" would be an excellent pre-game choice, or even a player AB tune... "Out here in the fields / I sweat for my meals / I get my back into my living" - I'm thinking either Elijah or Josh.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

7th inning, if they're losing - Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

sec3: You're on a roll. "Should I Stay (or should I go?)" by the Clash would be another excellent song, but should be played as the Nationals leave the field in the 5th or 6th inning (focus on the starting pitcher).

Likewise, "No more Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper would be a good lead-in for either the 8th or 9th-inning pitcher for the Nationals, at the top of the inning.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: "Lawers, Guns & Money" by Warren Zevon in a blow-out, at the top of the inning = YES! BRILLIANT! "I was living in Havana / I'm a desperate man / Send lawyers, guns & money / The $^*% has hit the fan".

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Traveler - i'm on board with Build Me Up Buttercup. I thought the LAA used it too, but this one we may have been first. Yay!

Personally, I'd love to here some team use "Til Victory" by Patti Smith.

I just noticed Devon White is the minor league OF/running instructor. I loved watching him do both. One of the great leaping CFs of all time. But i'm not suggesting any music by Devo.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 5, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

But a Devo Tribute promotion night would be awesome. Anyone who shows up in a chemical suit or with a flowerpot on their head gets a whip.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 5, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Another suggestion for between-inning music: Bruce Hornsby - That's Just the Way it is. A local fave, melodic song, a certain amount of irony in the lyrics.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the attribution correction, BinM. I had a synapse lapse there.

Love all of the song brainstorming, and sec3 is definitely on a roll!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 5, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 5, 2009 5:10 PM
------------------------
jca: That's a crazy, but great promotion if / when we oppose CLE at home (DeVo originated around Cleveland); Sadly, we only have a 3-game set against CLE @ the Jake this year.

Posted by: BinM | December 5, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I personally think it's awesome that Matt LeCroy has a job with the Nats, but I'm not overly excited at this announcement because he was with them last year as well (I was excited last year). However, the real news of the day is that the Matt Nokes is going to be at Potomac. Matt Nokes!!! I seriously had a schoolgirl crush on him back in the day (I've always had a thing for catchers). I may have to get me to some more P-Nats games this year. (I hope he wasn't around last year too, and I just never noticed)

Posted by: ac42 | December 5, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Back to the coaching staff for a minute:
Whatever happened to Tim Foli?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 5, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Hee, hee. ac, is that you? Or are there 3 of us with things for catchers? =)

Posted by: NatsNut | December 5, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

It was a few days ago, granted, but the post up yonder does mention
****************************
*************************
(Or were you looking for something more formal than "I'm told"?)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hee, hee. ac, is that you? Or are there 3 of us with things for catchers? =)
Posted by: NatsNut | December 5, 2009 6:46 PM |

Yep, NatsNut, it's totally me. Bet I'm willing to bet that there's more than just us with a thing for catchers. How could there not be??? They're quite irresistible.

Posted by: ac42 | December 5, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Tim Foli special advisor and overseeing all minor league instruction? What? How about bench coach? I think Foli would be invaluable in the dugout someone Riggleman could use as a sounding board in game situations sort of surprised by that move, and yeah we need some different music, NO!Sweet Caroline doesn't do it for me nor does that buttercup song,i could go for Chuck Brown, man i go way back with Chuck and i mean waaaaaay back. I'm glad we're not spending goofy money in the free agent market, anybody think Smoltz is a good move? would like to hear some input.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 5, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Any Strat-O-Matic fans out there? To the uninitiated, it is the best board game for baseball ever devised, using past statistics onto player cards. Players roll dice for every at-bat and use "split" cards from 1-20 for finer decisions, like pitcher fielding stats and stolen base stats.

Anyway, after not having played in 40 years, I got my hands on a fabulous Negro League Edition. Apparently they have done a lot of research: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/baseball/08strato.html

So I say let's start a S-O-M league this winter using Negro players. If interested, please email me at paulthefan@gmail.com

Posted by: paulkp | December 5, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

In the old days, at this point I would chime in with a quote, probably from William Blake, and sign it Annie Savoy.

Now we just sit and wait for catcher50 to see this.
*************
Posted by: ac42 | December 5, 2009 7:01 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Surprising amount of chatter in here today. I feel compelled to respond to a number of items:

1) It's in vogue to dis the Sweet Caroline tune, but I have always enjoyed it and enjoy watching Coach lead the choreography on the dugout. I don't even think I'm in the minority here. It seems to me that quite a few respond well to it in the stadium.

2) Also love the Buttercup number and miss the Ferris Bueller cut on Twist and Shout. Always thought it a shame that the Nats never embraced the Curly Shuffle as many here promoted several years ago.

3) Should we stay or should we go ... post of the day. LOL Probably too cynical for in game festivities, but would be pretty funny before Friday night fireworks.

4) Really missed Red Hot and Blue last year and though Teddy's BBQ is a nice addition, would still love to see Dave's Famous added if RHB won't come back.

5) Matt LeCroy never was a great catch and throw guy, but by the time he got to DC he had bad knees and elbow. Matt was a stand up guy, Frank had a lot of class, and the Nats had no choice. As you may recall, Robert Fick was the defensive replacement that day. And the Nationals still won the game after Lecroy gave up 7 stolen bases with Armas pitching.

Posted by: natbiscuits | December 5, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Sec3, for the info on Foli.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 5, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

OK, the "Curly (W) Shuffle" was my idea, back in 2006 at least, and some of us have been dissing Neal Diamond since the early 70s, thankyouverymuch. _De gustibus non est disputandum._ I'm glad you enjoy it.
Having the team snark at fans who arrive in the second, get up and down all during play, and then leave after the seventh would be refreshing, too.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 5, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

The Sweet Caroline is fun but it is a song that is linked to a very specific, and touching, piece of Fenway folklore.

It just seems weird to hear it played in any other ballpark.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 5, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Some APBA fans might give you an argument about ''greatest,'' paulkpa, altho I'm not taking sides.

Posted by: nats24 | December 5, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

As for stretch music, how about "Summer of '69'' -- an '80s song about a nice year for a Nats team.

Posted by: nats24 | December 5, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

ac, it's about time! =)

Posted by: NatsNut | December 6, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natbiscuits | December 5, 2009 9:20 PM

*******

biscuit, i love you to death, but I cannot tell you how much it pains me to hear you say this. Sweet Caroline is bad enough (It's not OURS. I mean, really. There are NO other songs we could make a Nats signature song?), but that guy is a bigger tool than even Clint. I'm wincing just thinking about it.

And anyone sitting behind the dugout who encourages him is also a tool. Please. Please do not encourage either the song or the usher dugout dancer guy. We can do better than this.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 6, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

So, a quick morning tour of the regular sites brings nothing newsworthy, to my eyes at least. Anybody else find a nugget or two worth discussing?

Posted by: BinM | December 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the Journal, ac. I'll also confess to finding catchers appealing, particularly when they are wearing the "tools of ignorance" (so that's three now, I believe). ;-)

On the song front, I'm not big on "Sweet Caroline" or the dancing either, but I will say that the usher seems like a good guy and a number of fans apparently enjoy it.

I forgot to mention that I do like to hear "I Got You (I Feel Good)" after wins. I like hearing it any time, actually. Heck, what's not to like about James Brown? :-)

---

Posted by: ac42 | December 5, 2009 7:01 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 6, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...been a while for me...waiting for developments on the player front, I suppose.Just a quick two cents on things in general. Gotta say I'm delighted with the fact that we seem to be assembling a real MLB front office.Now, as to the players we need/may get...well, that's the rub, eh?I think of our rivals up the road in Philly-for years they were also-rans, both on the field and in their f.a/player acquisitions. And then-they woke up, looked around and-HEY! We're in a HUGE MARKET! We can AFFORD to spend some dough! We are NOT K.C., Oakland,Pittsburgh...etc.Now, I'm not counseling foolish, indiscriminate spending...but I really believe that, with the right additions, we could contend for the wild card.
Again, my mantra is Seattle! Weren't they just half a game better than us in '08?
Lackey and Bedard.Beimel and someone else for the pen. Hudson.That kid behind the dish from Colorado.That's all I ask for.......and oh, yea, Livo too, at a sane price-anyone who WANTS to be here....!
Still, all in all, I'm feeling more hopeful than I have since....last off-season!
AND-here's my new brainstorm:
Dear WAPO-I see you have an opening for Nats beat writer.While I have nothing to offer on that front, I do have a suggestion that would really spice up your coverage.
There are many passionate, knowledgeable and capable wordsmiths ON THIS SITE! Why not have a weekly "guest" column in the tree version written by one of these yeggs? Just like the Boz or Mikey or (not so)Wise?
I'm sure they'd work cheap(free!) and their insights and analysis are as good and frequently better than much of what we read.Well, maybe not "better", but from a different perspective.I do believe it would be a terrific, buzz-creating addition to your Nats coverage
Thanks, Zendo.....
WELL-waddya think, gang? Way too many of you for me to mention, but I for one would love to read a whole column from many of you.Think about it!A weekly guest spot from us digital bleacher bums!
That's my two cents....
Go Nats!.......

Posted by: zendo | December 6, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

zendo, no offense to any NJ denizens, but when I'm paying for a dead-tree newspaper edition, my personal preference is to see articles by professional journalists therein. I can read the thoughts of fans/followers of the Nats in the comments sections here or on other blogs, as well as on the blogs (if they have them) of individual commenters.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 6, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

fair enough, 1a. You're right, I shouldn't be calling either him or the crowd tools.

But I just hate the whole thing SO MUCH.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 6, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I think everyone just breezed by the Post of the Day.

It's not exactly Cadmus sowing dragon's teeth, but poetic (and funny) nonetheless.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Here's a little something to get some of you thinking - My picks on nine minor-league players to watch in 2010.

Derek Norris (C)- Had a .286/.413/.513 slash line last year in HAG; Needs work on his defensive skillset (18E in 126GP). Broken left hamate in October, 2009 may hinder power in 2010.

Tyler Moore (1B)- Posted a .297/.363/.447 slash line with HAG; Should start 2010 in POT.

Brett Newsome (1B)- Left-handed hitter, with a .333/.436/.579 slash line between GLC & HAG in 2009.

Steve Lombardozzi (2B)- Posted a .296/.375/.395 slash in HAG; Steady defensively (8E in 126GP). Could jump to HAR in 2010.

Destin Hood (OF)- Turns 20 this spring, but rang up a .279/.335/.442 between GCL & VT in 2009. A little ragged defensively.

Eury Perez (CF)- Another teen in the system, had a .381/.443/.503 slash, winning the GCL batting championship in 2009. Was also errorless in 47GP.

Jeff Mandel (P)- Solid numbers as a starter in POT-HAR in 2009 (151+IP, 3.38ERA, 1.21WHIP), but switched to RP in Fall League and posted a 10:0K-W ratio &0.98WHIP in 14+IP. Does he start or relieve in 2010?

Tom Milone (P)- Left-hander, rock-steady as a starter with POT in 2009 (151+IP, 2.91ERA, 1.19WHIP).

Evan Bronson (P)- A 2009 draft pick, this lefthander racked up dominating numbers in VT (20GP, 49+IP, 12.6:1K-W, .161BAA).

Posted by: BinM | December 6, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

natsnut: I've gotta side with you on this one - Death to Sweet Caroline, Death to Neal Diamond, Death to Smoochy!

Posted by: BinM | December 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Ladson is reporting that the Mets have interest in Willingham - Who would you realistically ask for in return? I'm thinking Niese (LHSP), and either Misch(LHRP) or Bowman (3B), and a lower-level prospect. Anybody else care to chime in?

Posted by: BinM | December 6, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the welcome 1a, but I've actually been here since Day 1 of NJ, just mostly lurking. And NatsNut, I have posted before - I'm sure if you go back and look at the posts from when we signed Daniel, I bet I had something there. My posts are just few and far between. I was just compelled this time by the exciting news that Matt Nokes (!) is going to be in Woodbridge (!)

p.s. my mother also loves catchers. So, make that 4.

p.p.s. Sweet Caroline only belongs in Boston. Or karaoke bars.

Posted by: ac42 | December 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

ac, my apologies for not realizing that you were not new to NJ.

p.s. Good to know that there's another member of the Catcher Fan Club(TM) with your mom. Maybe we should have a secret handshake or something. :-D

p.p.s. Good one re. Sweet Caroline.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

ac: Welcome back as a Planet NJ commenter; Feel free to join in on anything that 'trips your trigger', as differing viewpoints are (almost) always welcome.

While I understand fans liking 'the cut of his jib' on particular players, Matt Nokes, really? I guess female baseball fans are just another one of life's great mysteries that I'll never fully grasp.

Regarding your p.s.s. - Allowed only in Fenway, or on certain radio stations. NEVER in Nationals Park, or in karaoke bars outside the greater Boston area.

Posted by: BinM | December 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Yea, Matt Nokes was always a bit of a mystery to me, as well. For whatever reason, my 12 year old self thought he was hot stuff back when I first saw him playing for the Tigers in 1988. I realize he is not classically handsome, or even good looking, but you know what they say about beauty and the eye of the beholder. Years later I read an autobiography by a guy who had been a batboy for the Yankees when he was there, and he made Mr. Nokes sound like a real good guy, so I guess my instincts were right.

I may or may not post more frequently (unlike a lot of people, I don't have time during the workday), but I definitely have opinions that, um, differ.

Posted by: ac42 | December 6, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ac42 | December 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, in the absence of a Nokes sighting, maybe this will do:

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 6, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

There's also a cool action figure here (you'll need to scroll down on the page):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 6, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, I completely understand your point of view as Neil Diamond was never the coolest rock (pop) star and I stand with you in urging a completely DC song tradition, ... but gosh didily doo, I just get all Flanders when I hear him sing and it makes me happy. Of course I also like much hip music like the Stones, BB King, and Monty Python. In fact I think "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" might be an excellent 7th inning offering.

But more importantly, I urge you not to group the dancing usher in with Clint as another tool time kind of guy. I've always found The Usher approachable, friendly, and useful while I have found Clint vapid, annoying, completely self absorbed, and rude.

Posted by: natbiscuits | December 6, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Where I work we just got an e-mail resume from one Clint Koury, i.e., "Clint." I take this to mean he has been sacked, canned, told to take a hike, adios, sayonara and otherwise told to vacate the premises. I offer this up as an early holiday present to all Nats fans.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 6, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Clint's job with the Nats is full-time. I'm sure he has a day job too. So don't get your hopes up that he's not going to be back at Nationals Park next year.

Unless the job you're hiring for is tool game-day host for the Orioles or some such. Then you might be right, and in which case your sworn duty is to hire Clint so he can't come back to the Nats.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | December 6, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

No idea why my last post came up twice, 20 minutes apart at that. Whatev. Thanks Sec3 and Natsfan1a1 - how completely random, and now I know what to ask for for xmas (maybe as a set with the Fernando Valenzuela).

Posted by: ac42 | December 6, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope you don't work in HR, Sunny. That's way unprofessional, if you'll pardon my saying so.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 6, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

"In fact I think "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" might be an excellent 7th inning offering."

DING DING DING DING DING
We Have A Winner.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 6, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Front page of the WaPo.com right now--picture of Cal and Mrs. Ripkin at the Kennedy Center
He's shaved his head. Now he TOTALLY looks like Uncle Fester.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 6, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

(man, CalsGr8 isn't gonna speak to me for weeks now...)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 6, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posting early, I'll be busy later:

New Post.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 7, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

okay, the mlb winter meetings start this morning and there's still a three-day-old post on this blog. where's the "we're on the ground in indianapolis update" to let us know somebody at the post actually cares?

Posted by: surly_w | December 7, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 6, 2009 10:10 AM

------------------

Posted by: ac42 | December 5, 2009 7:01 PM

------------------

Where WERE all of you when I was playing catcher back in high school?

Posted by: greggwiggins | December 7, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

okay, the mlb winter meetings begin today and there's still a three=day-old post on this blog. where's the "we're on the ground in indianapolis" update and this is what we're hearing? or is the post so heartbroken over the snydermen's OT loss yesterday that no one really cares?

Posted by: surly_w | December 7, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Chico Harlan is the slacker here. (Are we surprised? No.) From Sheinin's post up this morning on Baseball Insider: "We'll be providing double-barrelled coverage of the meeting: I'll be posting primarily here, while Chico is back in the saddle at Nationals Journal. Of course, I retain my set of keys to NJ and reserve the right to toss something up there now and again, should the circumstances warrant."

So I guess Sheinin will next be posting here to tell us why Chico is absent. (Eaten by wolves? On a two-month bender? Traded for a box of newsprint to the Plain Dealer to cover the resurrection of Manny Acta? So many possibilities...)

Posted by: section309 | December 7, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: soundbloke | December 7, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Give me a break. After 2 years of this, people are hardly out of line to be criticizing Chico's lack of diligence and interest in reporting news about the Nats.

* * * * *

"Or maybe, Chico Harlan is too busy interviewing people and tracking down actual news to satisfy the mewling coming from this blog."

Posted by: soundbloke | December 7, 2009 10:30 AM

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | December 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Nope. You are not totally out of line. But then I'm not totally out of line to express the opinion that I think at this point in time a journalist would be out gathering news.

I've always liked Chico though, which makes me biased. And given your moniker, I imagine you would admit to a little bias yourself.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 7, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse