Nothing official yet with Capps

[UPDATE, 10:30 p.m.] -- Just exchanged texts again with Kinzer. He said nothing new has solidified since we last talked. So deeper into the night we go...

---

The Washington Nationals could be moving closer to landing relief pitcher Matt Capps, but for now, no deal is certain according to the reliever's agent, Paul Kinzer.

Kinzer said that "nothing is solid yet," and that only within the last hour -- maybe 8 p.m. -- did Capps start to "lean a certain way." Capps hopes to pick between one of his two finalists, the Nationals and the Chicago Cubs, later tonight.

ESPN.com reported earlier that Capps is closing in one a one-year deal with the Nationals.

If the Nationals can land Capps, it would mark their clearest step yet to improve a troubled bullpen and end their pained search for a closer. Capps, who has saved 66 games in the last three seasons, would likely inherit the Nationals closer's job.

By Chico Harlan  |  December 23, 2009; 9:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riggleman, Capps, Guardado, Marquis
Next: Still waiting on Capps

Comments

How does Bruney feel about that?

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Bruney feels like now he has to be on top of his game to lock down the closer role. Let's let the two of them fight it out in ST. Either way we end up with a very solid 8=9 combo. I will be more excited about this Capps signing than about Marquis...

Posted by: HenryStin | December 23, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I've always viewed Bruney as a set-up man, and he probably does too. But getting players that are better than the guys we already have is a nice (and new) problem.

Posted by: sec307 | December 23, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Leaning one way or the other? What is that? I have to admit prior to Capps being released, I knew next to nothing about him. Now the more I read- his age, stats, closer mentality and lack of having to give up anything other than money - the more I feel like he is a critical cog in the Nats 2010 team. I'm getting caught up in this building process and admit that with Capps, Hudson and dare I think another starting pitcher, we might be staring at a 500 or better year (barring the injuries which always plague us).

Posted by: gusgrace | December 23, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Happy Festivus! I've got a lot of problems with you people!

Posted by: sec307 | December 23, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

We might be staring at a 500 or better year (barring the injuries which always plague us).

Posted by: gusgrace
______________________

Here, here! .500 here we come!

Posted by: nattydread1 | December 23, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Of course this is the same agent who represented Furcal last year when he said he was signing with the Braves before signing with the Dodgers - after the Braves announced the signing. You would think that the agent would not let that happen again for fear of losing his ability to act for future clients, but then again he does seem to have a definite "style" that pits one team against another.

Posted by: natbiscuits | December 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

It does seem to be the agent's style, natbiscuits. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Pace yourself, Sec307.

After the airing of grievances we have the feats of strength.

Meantime, Rally CAPPS for everyone.

Posted by: Drew8 | December 23, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It just seemed like when Bruney was first signed, his story was very much like how they're talking about Capps.

Funny, too, that I don't have a clue about Capps myself, but I'm still antsy about whether he comes here. It's VERY easy to get caught up in the suspense and competition with another team for a player. It makes it seem wayyyy more important than it probably really is.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

That's good, Drew! Wish I'd thought of it. (Donning my virtual rally capp.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

So, who turns into a pumpkin at midnight?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Not me 1a. I haven't hit refresh this much since the Strasburg signing.
_________________________________

So, who turns into a pumpkin at midnight?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2009 10:08 PM

Posted by: Section222 | December 23, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

1a, that would be Cinderella's coach.

Who, in an odd twist of fate, turns out to be Tim Tolman. You could look it up.

Posted by: Scooter_ | December 23, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So, to hit a pet peeve from the prior thread ... anyone who says not knowing the rules about the disabled list shows a lack of *baseball* acumen is gonna have to answer to me. Work rules are work rules, and baseball is baseball.

(A person can of course know both, or one but not the other, or neither. Both are useful knowledge, sure. But they're entirely different things, mkay?)

Posted by: Scooter_ | December 23, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Just checking in to see the Capps update and now I know why XM-175 MLB Homeplate pulled the Capps to Nats line in thier 9PM update. Geez I hope this goes the Nats way!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | December 23, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, if he goes to the Cubs, here's another benchmark for what's left:
"The Angels have agreed to terms with Fernando Rodney, according to ESPNDeportes.com's Enrique Rojas. Rodney will sign a two-year deal worth $11MM, pending a physical."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 23, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, if you miss a couple of days here, you don't where the discussion has gone. But heck, I'm happy about what's happening, and I think it bodes well for the Nats in 2010 (and will it be two-thousand-ten or twenty-ten?)

Anyway, I want to wish everybody on NJ to whom it applies a very Merry Christmas.

Posted by: nats24 | December 23, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

The .500 Fools Gold fools have climbed out from under their rocks again.....

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | December 23, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@ gusgrace / NatsNut

I say this in all absurd seriousness, but I have a Matt Capps bobblehead, which is the only reason I know of him. My fiancée is from Pittsburgh, and I went to Capps bobblehead day when visiting her parents two years ago. He had a great save and I remember thinking, "huh, this guy is pretty cool" and digging his signature fist-pump after a save. Still have said bobblehead. Fate? You decide!

Posted by: HenryStin | December 23, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Christian, I think your brain has received too much sunlight and your body overindulged in sexual excess.

Posted by: CaptainBligh | December 24, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Land Ho! New Post!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 24, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

but no new closer...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | December 24, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Why is there nothing about this stuff ANYWHERE in the print edition of the post?

I suppose Washingtonians would rather read meaningless articles about how the Redskins are motivated in despite their season being in shambles for the last MONTH...

At least we can read stuff about the Nationals with some optimism.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I wish the post would give Chico Harlan and Tarik el Bashir each a published column at least ONE day a week, each.

It wouldn't have to be strongly opinionated like what Wilbon and Jenkins tend to write; nor would it be ridiculous or goofty like what Wise writes. Just a summary of what's been reported, and the writer's interpretation of what the storyline means about the franchise's future.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse