Nats interested in Padilla; Bowden on Pudge

We've got about two minutes here before the media convenes for its daily session with GM Mike Rizzo, so my apologies for the brevity. Just a few items here.

* This, from Sheinin: The Nats have interest in free agent pitcher Vicente Padilla, according to a source familiar with discussions. Various news reports mention at least a half-dozen teams that are interested in the righty, and no agreement appears imminent; it's all tire-kicking, for now. But add Padilla to the list of veteran starters that Washington might be gunning for. Padilla, of course, is coming off a strange season in which he was both designated for assignment (ending his time with the Rangers) and picked up by the Dodgers, where he keyed their run to the playoffs.

* Check out Steinberg's latest on the Bog. Jim Bowden talks about (and rips) the Pudge signing.

By Chico Harlan  |  December 8, 2009; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on Pudge
Next: Transcript of Manny Acta's media session

Comments

I know a good anger management class Padilla can go to if the Nats retain his services. Oy vey !! You got to love the hot stove season here in DC...

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 8, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I do believe the Pudge signing is better than the LoDuca signing there Bowden!

Posted by: Keenan1 | December 8, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought the NATS migt be interested in Padilla. However, Fire Jim Bowden includes him on his Do Not Go Near list along with B. Lidge and B. Meyers. Says all three are Club House Cancers. Different opinions are what makes the Hot Stove sizzle.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | December 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

If JimBo is against the Pudge signing, count me 1,000 percent, totally, absolutely, without question in favor of it.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | December 8, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

OMG! I haven't laughed so hard at anything JimBow has said since he went on MLB on XM talking about how important having players with "character and commitment" are as well as talent after he visited upon us FLop, P-Lo, and Dukes. Now that he's a broadcaster, JimBow seems to have very selective memory of the atrocities he visited upon his previous place of employment.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 8, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

jim bowden should be taken as seriously as a commentator as he was a general manager - in other words not at all seriously,

Posted by: surly_w | December 8, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Padilla (ditto Smolz) told them to GET f******* REAL this summer when they both signed with a CONTENDER and the WORST team in baseball had to settle for LIVAN......I'm guessing the same results will play out again after they REsign LIVAN.

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | December 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

LOL! I'm dying here. I posted this in the last post, referring to the post before that!

I give up.

***************

It cracks me up when I sit here patting myself on the back, thinking I just made a really smart argument in the comments. Then find out I've been new-posted for quite awhile and nobody's even listening. LOL!!

Serves me right for being a smartypants.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 8, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | December 8, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

knowing bowden, he would have offered pudge six years at $1 mil per with a player's option.

Posted by: surly_w | December 8, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

whats the word on Jerry Owens?

Posted by: sect104 | December 8, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Owens can steal a few bases and isn't terrible in the outfield. He came up with the White Sox, I think.

If he makes the team, he could be a useful 4-5 outfielder/pinch runner. Looks like a cheap flier on a guy with a little speed.

Posted by: js_edit | December 8, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this - Rizzo at least has the Lerner group spending some $$ this year. The FO additions probably didn't come cheap (based on their experience levels), and show even deeper staffing than in the past. As far as the player acquisitions to-date, there seems to be an effort to acquire better quality at a higher salary cost, as well:

Bruney from NYY for PTBNL (Rule-V pick) = addition by subtraction for Rizzo & the Nationals, imo (Rivera & possibly one other player released to complete trade). Bruney is younger than Rivera, and had better #'s in 2009, but will cost more in Arbitration.
I. Rodriguez from TEX (CA,2-yr,$6M) as a FA-B signing = Brings a steady presence behind the plate, capable of solid defense should Flores' injury/surgery have him at less than 100% going into the season. His signing may cost a player off the roster, in addition to his salary and a 2nd-round supplemental draft pick to TEX in 2010.

Bottom line to date is that the Nationals have filled two targeted needs without surrendering a 'critical' player. So far, so good.

Posted by: BinM | December 8, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't cost the Nats a 2nd rounder, though...

Posted by: Sonny9 | December 8, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I was worried about the Pudge signing until I heard Bowden hated it.

Posted by: tailwagger | December 8, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

pudge costs us nothing! on to the starting pitcher

Posted by: sjm3091 | December 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

If bowden hates it, then it's got to be a good signing!

Posted by: M20832 | December 9, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse