Details for Nats winter caravan

The Nats on Thursday released their full list of 2010 winter caravan dates, which ends with the second annual NatsFest at Nationals Park on Sunday, Jan. 31. The winter caravan, basically, is a tour of the region in which players/managers (see list below) conduct meet-and-greets and make community appearances. The caravan runs from Jan. 27-31. For the team release, which provides all the who/when/where details, click here.

But here's a list of the participating players and staff:

Brian Bruney -- Jan. 29-31
Ryan Zimmerman -- Jan. 29-31

Moderators:
Rob Dibble -- Jan. 27-31
NBC's "Meet the Press" Moderator David Gregory -- Jan. 29

Wednesday, Jan. 27
11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Unity Health Care's Southwest Health Center, Washington, D.C.
Meet-and-Greet and Book Donation

1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Hard Times Cafe, Arlington, Va.
Autograph Session

5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Build-A-Bear Workshop, McLean, Va.
Autograph Session

Thursday, Jan. 28
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Ben's Chili Bowl, Washington, D.C.

2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
USO of Metropolitan Washington Warehouse, Ft. Belvoir, Va.
Care Package Assembly

6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Potomac Nationals Pfitzer Stadium, Woodbridge, Va.
Autograph Session

Friday, Jan. 29
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Hot Stove Luncheon, Nationals Park, Washington, D.C. (ticketed event)

5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Washington Capitals Game, Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
Autograph Session

Saturday, Jan. 30
11:00 a.m.
Children's National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
Atrium Visit with Patients

1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Prince George's Sports & Learning Complex, Landover, Md.
Press Conference and Skills Demonstration & Autograph Session

5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
White Flint Mall, Kensington, Md.
Autograph Session

Sunday, Jan. 31
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
NatsFest, Nationals Park, Washington, D.C. (ticketed event)

By Chico Harlan  |  January 7, 2010; 10:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matt Capps officially joins Nats
Next: Garate outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse

Comments

On Thursday, January 28, Jim Riggleman will also be at the annual Rockville Express Collegiate Baseball Benefit Auction and Dinner, at the Glenview Mansion in Rockville. Tickets are $50 and limited to 200 (I waited until I had mine before sharing this). For more info you can go to http://www.rockvilleexpress.org/

Posted by: twinbrook | January 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Not bad. Gradual improvements every year. A certain future hall of famer in Ivan Rodriguez and maybe two more in Zimmerman and Dunn. Not surprised to see Nyger Morgan and Matt Capps are coming. Last year I enjoyed talking to Willie Harris, Joel Hanrahan, and Garrett Mock. (Hanrahan joked that he was working on a changeup and if it didn't work out, Willie would catch the batted balls anyway - oops).

They've even got an extra home town boy in Ryan Speier.

Note to the new COO, the Nats have traditionally missed major marketing opportunities with this 'catavan'. No merchandizing, poor logistics management, and poor promotion.

Posted by: natbiscuits | January 7, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Where's Strasburg?

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | January 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I submitted this yesterday morning but it looks as if nothing got posted for sev hours. I thought Ladson's interview with Elijah was encouraging from a number of angles, and I surely wish Elijah well. What really touched me was learning that Riggleman had gone to the wake for Elijah's dad--also very touching was Elijah's reaction.

Posted by: Section109 | January 7, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I was also touched by both of those aspects, 109.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

it seems to be eerily quite in terms of Aroldis Chapman rumors

whats are the chances of Rizzo pulling this one off?

Posted by: Nats1924 | January 7, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

They're not stopping in Martinsburg, WV?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Not quite eerie, 1924, but then, Rizzo does like to work out of the spotlight. In this case, however, I think they're out -- they aren't (and shouldn't, IMO) going to outbid Boston's $15.5MM.

MLBTR, as of now:
____________
Aroldis Chapman Decision Coming Soon?
By Mark Polishuk [January 7 at 6:35am CST]

THURSDAY, 6:35am: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted last night that the Angels are "trying like crazy" to sign Chapman. Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets disagreement from an Angels source: "Despite what you read, we're not in that deep."

6:56pm: Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald tweets that internally, the Marlins have "conceded defeat" in the Chapman sweepstakes.

WEDNESDAY, 3:55pm: At least three teams are out on Chapman: the Astros, Yankees, and Mets (ESPN's Buster Olney via Twitter, and MLB.com's Brian McTaggart).

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 7, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely i think Rizzo's in the running for Chapman. With Rizzo, the silence is the clue. =)

Posted by: NatsNut | January 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

109, 1a, great points about the Dukes story. So many encouraging things. Rizzo and Foli shooting straight with him and treating him like a man, Elijah *taking* the straight-shooting like a man, he's responding to all of them, and sounds like he WANTS to rise to their expectations.

Plus Riggleman going to his dad's wake and how much that meant to Dukes. You can bet THAT sealed the deal on my Riggleman crush.

Even Dukes's willingness to chat about all this in such a positive light. It's all so great.

Posted by: NatsNut | January 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice throwback re. the WV stop, JiM. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"You can bet THAT sealed the deal on my Riggleman crush."
Looks like he'll be at Ben's on 1/28--nothing ventured, nothing lost.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Whether we sign him or not, it helps me sleep at night to know that I trust Rizzo to have made a good run at it.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 7, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree soundbloke. Unlike the ill fated Texiera chase, I really think Rizzo has targeted players who would reasonably sign here and then offer what it takes to get them here. I'm happy with Marquis, Pudge and Capps over a month of Holliday and Lackey preening.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Another free agent pitcher and a decent shortstop and or second baseman would be just fantastic but 30 years following this franchise has a way of tempering your expectations.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 7, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I was just told yesterday that there's a chance my company might send me out to Arizona in March. They didn't understand why I was grinning.

No one gets baseball in my office.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

No one gets baseball in my office.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I was just told that my post appeared twice. They didn't understand why I was frowning.

No one gets double-posts in my office.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 7, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I was just told that it was weird that I was looking at my computer screen and laughing out loud.

No one gets NJ in my office.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I mean:

I was just told that I was weird. They didn't understand why I was looking at my computer screen and laughing.

No one gets NJ in my office.

(and happy trails, JiM, if it comes to pass)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So, who catches the "Caravan Curse" this year? It seems that there's always one player who participates, then either tanks, or never plays with the Nats that season - (2006 - Brandon Watson; 2007 - Mike O'Connor; 2008 - Mike Bacsik; 2009 - Terrelle Young; 2010 - ???).

Posted by: BinM | January 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of curses, I looked at a 2010 team calendar while doing some shopping a week or so ago. On past editions I've seen, there might be one or two featured guys who have left the team or were injured but on this particular edition there were five or six, if memory serves. Maybe that's a good thing, a sort of pre-curser, if you will (ouch), that frees up the remaining squad members for good luck in the new season. I hope so, anyway.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 7, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to feel like the plant from 'The Little Shop of Horrors - "Feed Me"' - I need more information. 1) Who gets DFA'd with the Capps signing, 2) What are the Arbitration 'splits' for Flores, Nieves, Willingham, Bergmann, Burnett, & Bruney?

Gimme, gimme; Somebody tell Rizzo he doesn't have to be so tight-lipped about the existing roster.

Posted by: BinM | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Where's Strasburg?

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | January 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse
**************************************

Along I-81, about 25 miles south of Winchester. I don't think they're stopping there though...

Posted by: thepostischeap | January 8, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

BinM, I offer the following excerpt from the Rizzo side session transcript on the nats320 blog. (The blog also has full transcripts of the formal presser and other side sessions. Good stuff. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already done so.)

Speaking for myself, I'd rather Rizzo be tight-lipped in such instances rather than having the player find out such news...oh, I don't know...say, via a radio broadcast. But that's just me:

Question: Mike, can you tell us who will be taken off the 40-man roster (for Capps' addition)?

“We are going to make a corresponding roster move in the next day or so when we are required to do so. So no, I can’t because the player hasn’t been told yet.”

---

Posted by: BinM | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 8, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

The presser in question, of course, being the Capps presser on Wednesday. I understand that there was some other local sports presser going on that day as well. WHATever... ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 8, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Where's *Stephen* Strasburg? Did Boras have a no-NatsFest clause in his contract?

So NatsFest is essentially the kickoff for the people that really support the team---SEASON TICKET HOLDERS--- and the #1 guy isn't going to be there???? Are you kidding me?

I already expected that Stras wouldn't be signing autographs since Boras inked his Topps deal....but I was hoping to do like what my family did with Ryan Zimmerman last year and get a photo.

All I have to say is this is a real bummer!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 8, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

In other news, just noticed that there was a Boz chat yesterday, after all. If you scroll waaay down, you'll even find a Nats question or two.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 8, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

i'm going to Viera this year. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

Posted by: longterm | January 8, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

For my money, GGG, Stephen Strasburg is not #1. (In fact, I have no idea what number he'll wear!) I'm not entirely certain whom I'd pick, but most likely Zimmerman.

I'm not trying to invalidate your life script here, and I know why the kid pitcher is tops for you. It's just that assuming he's "*the* #1 guy" is perhaps unwarranted.

Posted by: Scooter_ | January 8, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Darn it! I was so busy engaging in civilized discourse, I forgot I had something to kvetch about -- which is, of course, the primary reason to comment on a weblog.

Anywho, yon post up top mentions a book-donation thingie as part of Mr. Caravan, but I don't see any information about same in Mr. Press Release, or anywhere on the Nats' site. Any suggestions of where to seek answers, me hearties?

Posted by: Scooter_ | January 8, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Victor Garate has been removed from the 40-man roster to make room for Matt Capps....so tweets Bill Ladson

Posted by: SpashCity | January 8, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Baseball makes it nicer, JiM, but I think the opportunity to spend March in Arizona rather than Minnesota would be enough to draw a grin from me.

I presume there's some difference in average temperatures, right?

Posted by: greggwiggins | January 8, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

[tumbleweeds blowing by]

Posted by: thepostischeap | January 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Scooter - Just my opinion, I would think for the young kids going to NatsFest would want to see the new guy. The #1 pick, Stephen Strasburg.

Ryan Zimmerman is a proven commodity and the Face of the Franchise and my kids got a picture with him last year.

Hopefully they get a picture with Nyjer Morgan instead.

It is what it is, but I still am blown away that Strasburg isn't scheduled to appear.

Isn't anyone else curious why?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 8, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I would guess that Strasburg's non-appearance at NatsFest is due to one or all of the following reasons:

o His offseason home is on the west coast. Coming to NatsFest would mean taking a serious dent out of his offseason workouts/injury rehab schedule.

o His presence would cause a logjam at his autograph/photo station, detracting from the rest of the event.

o His absence fits in with their overall plan to bring him along slowly, starting him in the minors and having him earn his way up with his performance. He should have to earn his superstar/fan favorite status with his performance too.

Posted by: JennEric1 | January 8, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Just a few thoughts, GGG:

1. JennEric1's list of possibilities looks quite reasonable to me.

2. In 2005-06, Ryan Zimmerman was a pretty higly touted draft pick (and had had some tiny success in the majors). I don't recall whether he was part of any Fest -- or, to be fair, whether there even was a Fest. Do you?

3. Like I said before, I totally get why you're excited to see the young pup. No disrespect intended, and I hope none was inferred. And I'm sure lots and lots of folks would agree with you. But to me, assuming a minor-leaguer will appear at such events is a bit much, no matter how well-known his name is.

4. I'm sure everyone knows about the new post, but hey.

Posted by: Scooter_ | January 8, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

We met Zimmerman and got his autograph at a Northern Virginia winter caravan event back when he was a pup.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 8, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse