MASN broadcast schedule for 2010

MASN released its MLB programming schedule today, and you can examine all the details in the .pdf schedule below. All Nats games are in HD this year, with 95 on MASN and 67 on MASN2. (MASN2 will launch in HD come April.) DC-area viewers will also be able to watch Sunday afternoon games on DC-50.

2010_nationals_schedule.pdf

By Chico Harlan  |  January 21, 2010; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free agent targets, plaudits and poetry
Next: Strasburg finally signs... a marriage license

Comments

I could care less about HD.

DC viewers also will "be able" to watch some games on another channel?

isn't this part of the overall problem, no one knows what channel the games are on?

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | January 21, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

opening day vs. phillies

marquis or lannan vs. roy halladay

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | January 21, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm, I concur that having the games constantly hop from station to station is annoying. But I ain't gonna complain about some games being broadcast, rather than everything being on pay TV. You know?

Posted by: Scooter_ | January 21, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"I could care less about HD."

You've obviously never watched it, then. HD is like black. Once you try it, you ain't goin' back.

Posted by: JennEric1 | January 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"I could care less about HD."

Posted by: JennEric1 | January 21, 2010 3:39 PM
___________________________________

You saying he has a case of TV envy?

Posted by: TimDz | January 21, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

scooter, you're right.

jenneric1, ok... i still could care less.
HD is the least of the nats issues.

probably just a consumer electronics sales scam, with cross eyed migraine seizure inducement side effects.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | January 21, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sports seem to be ok on HD, especially long range shots, but regular programming with talking heads just looks strange strange strange. Unnatural. I hope they do away with that bogus look. I have no envy of HD, believe me, any more than I would envy the sound of mp3s over records in stereo.

So, can the games be seen on MASN without an HD tv?

Posted by: poncedeleroy | January 21, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

So, can the games be seen on MASN without an HD tv?

Posted by: poncedeleroy

Man, and I thought I was techno-challenged. Yes, ponce, they can. Except without rabbit ears. Or the crystal radio set you got for Christmas.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | January 21, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

will Ray Knight's enormous head emerge 3-D avatar-like from the front of my HD set, babbling about itself and what/how/where he used hit?

god, I hope not.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | January 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

analog tv < analog audio.

you're going the wrong way on your comparisons. quality analog audio (i.e., vinyl on high quality equipment) will produce better sound than digital (although the gulf has continued to close if you avoid the compression).

*but*

there's no analog broadcast video signal out there that can touch HD video signals. whole different beast and not comparable with audio differences.

Posted by: sec231 | January 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | January 21, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't use rabbit ears or a crystal radio and there is no need to be insulting.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | January 21, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

HDTV was insulted by your "consumer electronics sales scam" comment and the comparison to MP3s...

Posted by: sec231 | January 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

sec231

That is simply not true. Believe me, I work in the field and while analogue is more forgiving of overloads and human error, digital audio can capture and reproduce audio at a significantly higher quality.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't care about the games being in HD is a damn fool. Once you watch sports on HD, it is too painful to ever watch them on low definition again. Please join the 21st century.

Posted by: egoodman8 | January 21, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@soundbloke I mean this in the friendliest way, but you know as well as I do that simply declaring what you just said as "fact" in a room full of audio engineers will spark one hell of a donnybrook. ;)

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | January 21, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Atomic

A very decent point. Quality means something very different though when dealing with people in the engineering field. What most people think of as 'quality' is actually best described by the word 'pleasing'. If terms of the ability to convey detail, precision and sonic accuracy there is no debate. Hence for putting someone in a baseball park using their speakers you have a more realistic experience when relying on a digital HD signal.

In terms of HD broadcast of a baseball game then, digital is without a doubt a superior choice.

As to music. it is a fiercer debate but, I still plant my flag in the digital domain. The only thing I can't do is turn down a chance to go on about it. Another hazard of the job. We are a boring bunch of blowhards!

Posted by: soundbloke | January 21, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

@soundbloke I'm with you totally in the video realm. In the audio realm...well, I prefer to sit back and watch the fireworks. :)

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | January 21, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

"I can't believe several people are actually saying that it isn't important for them to watch these games on high definition. This literally amazes me. I must be part of the younger age group census on this list. Watching games last year on non HD was torturous."

Maybe there is something to the idea that some people joke about that the only baseball fans in this city are holdovers from the days of the Senators (probably watching games on the same TV as they did the Senators games)...

Posted by: dugly2ugly | January 21, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________

Glad to know my 62 yo eyes are among the younger ones here. Analog CRT v. HD? That's like comparing the '08 Nats to the '09 Yankees. I'm ecstatic to hear all games will be HD -- assuming RCN picks up MASN2 HD when it debuts. But I'd be more ecstatic if they signed another veteran starter to give the kids a break and some leadership.

Sec 116

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | January 21, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

So much beautiful HD! I can already feel it now...cool spring night, steaks on the grill, TV facing out the window. Add a cold beer in hand and a dog at my feet and it's heaven. Why is life so much better during baseball season?

Posted by: HenryStin | January 21, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

jenneric1, ok... i still could care less.
HD is the least of the nats issues.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | January 21, 2010 3:50 PM

HD and channel location are no longer concerns for the Nats - both should be sorted out now that MASN and MASN2 are available just about everywhere in the region.

The biggest problem in my opinion - bartenders automatically putting on the f-ing Red Sox. When you go into a bar, tell them to put on the Nats game! Of course, when we win, people will migrate towards the home team. Anyone catch (seemingly) the entire city glued to the Caps games last night??

Posted by: Kev29 | January 22, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"TV facing out the window"

Sounds like someone needs to buy a smaller HDTV and mount it out on the patio...

Posted by: comish4lif | January 22, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a lot of these posts are from technologically illiterate people. Malcolm whatever, in the first post even seems to have trouble keeping track of two channels. And, if he can't see the difference between HD and non-HD, well, overall you can't reason with ignorance. HD is now a non-issue. Oh, here I go, trying to reason with ignorance. Bye.

Posted by: Pete433 | January 23, 2010 5:27 AM | Report abuse

I've always feared I was nothing but a damn fool and now it's confirmed. A whole life, consigned to the trash heap by HD tv.

Posted by: markfromark | January 23, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Pete

A lot of people have trouble telling the difference between HD and SD without seeing them side by side. That's why manufactures have the 'revert to SD button' on HD tv's. It was so people could justify to their spouses the expenditure. There was no other reason for that function to be added to TV's. It really isn't ignorance.

It would be like me calling you ignorant for not knowing the difference between a good forgery, and a genuine Picasso if they weren't standing next to each other.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 24, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse