NatsFest 2010: afternoon delight

NatsFest 2010 just wrapped up. For those returning from the stadium, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the event: Was it well-organized? Do any players have legible autographs? Did Stan Kasten, in his Q&A with fans, break even for a second from his talking points? (My hunch is, not even David Gregory could make him break.)

Anyway, I spent a good chunk of the session talking to players. And whatdya know, many of them are now talking a big game. If springtime is the period in baseball reserved for optimism, the dead of winter -- at least in the case of the 2010 Washington Nationals -- has become the gathering point for an outlook even less restrained, and certainly less practiced. I'm trying to come up with the right summarizing term for the vibe, but nothing so tidy comes to mind. It was like a mix of delight and assuredness and anticipation. Delight, because they like the moves the front office has already made. Assuredness, because even the young players (like John Lannan and Ryan Zimmerman) now talk with a team-leader-type authority. Anticipation, because more player-signings could still come -- and yes, the current Nats are all members of the Orlando Hudson fan club.

"I think he would be great, obviously, defensively," Zimmerman said. "You can put him into the lineup anywhere. He's a great person, a great team guy. And I think he would kind of help some of the younger guys and all of us come together."

"I'm a contact pitcher, I pitch to contact, I'm a sinker guy," Jason Marquis said. "And having a strong defense up the middle -- center, short, second -- is very important. He brings more to the table than just defense; his offensive side is as consistent as his second base. Just watching him, the energy he brings to the game ... you'll never see a lack of effort."

But for a second, let's put Hudson aside. They don't have him for now, and yet still they have a little swagger. Part of that comes from, well ... certainty. As in, they're certain they won't be as bad as they were in 2008 and 2009.

"It's hard to lose 100 games," Zimmerman said with a grimace. "It's easy to say we're going to be better than we have been the last two years."

But how good?

"Realistic improvement? Of course you want to make the playoffs, but we know we have a long way to go," Lannan said. "A winning season would be great, too. But we'll definitely be improving. One-hundred losses is a huge number; we had too many losses and not enough wins last year. I think this year we'll even it out."

A few other quick notes ...

* Craig Stammen, who had offseason elbow surgery, says he's back to 100 percent.

* Nyjer Morgan has been in Viera, Fla., for the last month working out. Morgan, as you'll recall, missed the last month of the 2009 season with a fractured left hand, but on Thursday of last week he visited a hand specialist in Baltimore and received a clean bill of health.

* On Jan. 7, Lannan had Lasik eye surgery, which means he won't have to wear contacts this year when on the mound. His vision, he said, is now 20-15.

By Chico Harlan  |  January 31, 2010; 4:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Dunn contract extension talk at Nationals hot stove lunch
Next: Why the Nats (in particular) need defense

Comments

it had to be 20-degrees colder in some parts of nats park than it was outside. portable heaters next year, stan.

Posted by: surly_w | January 31, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I had a good time. It was better run than last year. Rizzo answered my question to my satisfaction...He understands that he must win at the MLB level now or he will be out. I like that. Took some good cuts in the cage, got a picture of my kid with Josh W.....Free parking and in the C Garage and two lines opened without Metro cutters in line....whats not to like?

Posted by: JayBeee | January 31, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

We got there late and spent an hour in the kids zone, you know they had a good time when the three year old is begging to go back.

After the autograph sessions had all ended and the club area had pretty much cleared out I overheard the most remarkable conversation of the day, a MASN rep asked Nats320 if he wanted to appear in a commercial and he replied no as he walked on by.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 31, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

*checks JayB's head for fever*

;)

Posted by: NatsNut | January 31, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

but seriously folks, i appreacited the candor from rizz about soon needing to win on the major league level. it doesn't matter how many prospects are inthe pipeline if the big league team is a consistent tail-ender. went to last year's fest and felt better about what i heard from rizzo than what jimbow said in 2009. for the first time, i feel there's a validity to THE PLAN (TM) rather than using it as a stall tactic for not seeing any progress with the parent team. but boy, was it cold in some parts of nats park.

Posted by: surly_w | January 31, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....Wellll....nice to see all the optimism from the "other" part of the gang. And while I bow to no one when it comes to Pollyanna optimism (I'm the 85/77 guy...and last year I had 'em contending for a wild card. Come to think of it, that holds true for EVERY year the Nats have been home!),.... I just hope the guys are privvy to info we don't yet have.But hey-more power to 'em! Wang would be nice-even an approximation of his past good years. Now, I scour the mainstream baseball sites and a few of the more accessible hardcore spots...but anyone here in the Natsion have some insights on what ailed him and what the likelihood is on his returning to form? Or any of the remaining arms? Wow! 18 days!!!!
Go Nats....and Go Natsionals Journalsists-all of you!!!

Posted by: zendo | January 31, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

It was a great idea having 2 autograph stations; the boys and I got balls signed by Capps, Stammen, Willingham, Lannan, Pudge, Bruney, Morgan, and Clippard. My oldest son and I hit a few balls in the batting cage (I actually hit one that might have made it out of the infield), and my youngest son got to ask the final question of the last Q and A. Oh yeah, there was free ice cream too.

Posted by: p-man | January 31, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

If you don't want to read the whole entry here, please respond to the survey at the bottom.

I have to think that the lobbying from all of our players will get to O-Dog. It has to be his "representative's" job to keep him up on all the vibes going on as he tries to sign. If that is the case, Orlando Hudson, count this humble fan in. The team is building, but perhaps with less patience than in the past. Please join the team and lead us to our first winning season (we did have a .500 season once).

Stammen, Martin, Mock, Detwiler, Chico, Batista, Jaime, Balester, Martis, Chuck James. No Daniel Cabrera in that bunch. Maybe add Scott Olsen to that list, but if Rizzo signs another obvious MLB pitcher, which I really hope he will, and we find ourselves with a very long list of potential 5th starters, and pressure building for a trade or two. I didn't even mention Steven Strasburg, and you could make a similar list on the relief side.

I am not making predictions, but I am admitting to being more impressed with this set than having Julian Tavarez insulting the team as he signs, Kip Wells coming off injury but not much promise if he was healthy. I am beyond worrying about whether Mike Hinckley or his equivalent can make the team. What we had coming from Montreal no longer matters. Whatever drafts Jim Bowden oversaw start to be less intriguing, although we allowed ourselves to get excited about individual minor leaguers.

Let's move on. No "prospect" is sacred except the most recent ones, and we should hold to few old favorites (make the team, Jason Bergmann). Please respond by telling me which marginal player you would like to see cement a spot on the team, and why.

Posted by: kevincostello | January 31, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...great question, KC...gotta think on that one....kinda hafta see whom they might still add, i.e. position player or pitcher. And I'm assuming you are you including guys we can still send to the minors and maintain control over. Hmmmm...
Go Nats!!

Posted by: zendo | January 31, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I really like Mike Morse. He plays hard and is smart at the plate. I would rather have him than Maxwell or Roger B as the 4th OF. Now I would really rather have a new RFer and trade Dukes but that is another post.

Posted by: JayBeee | January 31, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Ha Powerboater - we also spent most of the time in the Kids Zone. And the MASN caricature line (but I will have a new avatar hehe)

Posted by: misschatter | January 31, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The marginal player I want to make the team is Chris Duncan. If Dukes doesn't pan out, a middle of the order with Zimmerman, Dunn, Willingham, Pudge and Duncan could be mighty good.

I was there, had a great time, I had a bit of trouble securing a Pudge autograph utlimately after a great deal of waiting in both lines I was successful. My constructive criticism would be for the team to provide communication as to which players were at which autograph station in a better fashion. They were rotatiing the info on the board with ticket purchasing info, etc. Perhaps posting these kinds of details on the net the morning of the event would've helped.

Waited substantially less time (maybe10 minutes) for a photo with Ryan Zimmerman. Zimmerman remains extremely gracious and a class act all the way. Never take him for granted, he's the best.

Attended the Riggs and panel sessions; both were extremely good and informative.

All in all, a very good day and a very good time.

Posted by: raymitten | January 31, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Kevin,
I'm using "on the cusp of the 25-man" going into Spring Training as the definition of "marginal." In that case, I'll take Detwiler... I want his ST to prove that his September was legit, for him to make the team, and for him to find success in the middle of the rotation. Consistent quality starts from him would help balance our southpaw imbalance and would give us another Nats-drafted player at the MLB level to throw some water on the "five wasted years of The Plan" argument.

Posted by: natinbeantown | January 31, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Kevin,

Posted by: natinbeantown | January 31, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I didn't go to any of the Q & A sessions but everything else was great. Completely agree on getting some portable heaters in there to combat the cold.

I can't remember if it was Rizzo or Riggleman answering a question about the outfield, but I thought I heard whoever it was say that Maxwell, Bernadina, Dukes, and Duncan would compete for the corner outfield spots. Assuming we can't move Willingham for anything worthwhile, I love the idea of having these guys battle it out for the RF spot. Dukes hasn't earned anything, even though I think he is on top of the depth chart right now, and I would actually like to see Maxwell or Bernadina show what they can do with some consistent playing time.

As for the young pitchers, I'm guessing whoever pitches the best in ST will get however many spots are available, although that seems like a lazy solution, based on too small a sample size. There has to be a way to project who will have prolonged success at the major league level, and I hope Rizzo & Co. have some ideas in mind. He said Batista will be at the back of the rotation so...

1) Marquis
2) Lannan
3) Olsen (if healthy)
4) Detwiler
5) Batista

Batista and maybe Olsen could be mid-season trade bait, clearing the way for some of the other young guys to come up and show there stuff. Also we can't forget about a May-June call-up for Strasburg.

Posted by: SpashCity | January 31, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Stammen has a good shot at making the rotation; his ERA was just over 5, but his low WHIP shows it could come down. If Olsen is healed he could come back. I was at a game soon after he came off the DL and he was hitting 90 again. Unfortunately, Acta let him throw 120 pitches and it wasn't long before he had the surgery. He may have needed it anyway, but I can't see why someone should throw that many pitches when they just came of the DL.

Posted by: p-man | January 31, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Tim K. is now reporting a Hudson deal is close, if not imminent. Pretty funny because I asked Tim K. in teh 2nd to last question of the day how he would proceed if he were the Nats GM...
Discuss here on my site:

Posted by: CJArlington | January 31, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

...sorry, and Tim K. said he would sign Orlando...he must have known then...

Posted by: CJArlington | January 31, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Very enjoyable. Would have liked vendor setups like last year to look at photos and bobbleheads and memorabilia.

The autograph lines were manageable and the players were great.

Would have liked to have Zim with his Gold Glove and Silver Slugger in the photo area as that would have been a great picture.

The pizza was awesome!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | January 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Amen to the pizza--about a 1000 percent improvement from Papa John's...

Posted by: CJArlington | January 31, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

at CJ Arlington

Do you have a link to the Hudson report?

Posted by: jacquesdoucet | January 31, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

"I'm trying to come up with the right summarizing term for the vibe, but nothing so tidy comes to mind. It was like a mix of delight and assuredness and anticipation."

Sounds like "confidence" to me. "We're ready... bring it on!"

Michael

Posted by: MikeH0714 | January 31, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

My vote for "Mr. Irrelevant," the 25th man:
I'm with JayBeeee on this: Mike Morse.

He's versatile, 1B, 2B, 3B, OF, hey, I think the guy could probably catch. He never embarrasses himself at the plate. If not here, somewhere.

So kurky sez an O-Dog deal is near?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | January 31, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Its insider, Jacques, but

Posted by: CJArlington | January 31, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CJ

Posted by: jacquesdoucet | January 31, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

CJ,
That's excellent news! I was afraid Hudson might slip through their fingers after seeing Garland, Sheets, Chapman and then Cabrera all sign elsewhere.

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | January 31, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when or where the pics from the Caravan will be posted? They passed out cards that said DC50tv.com, but I don't see them there yet.

Posted by: twinbrook | January 31, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Sky rockets in flight?

I'll never hear "Bang, zoom!" the same way. Thanks, Chico.

Although, I did just learn that Afternoon Delight was named after a menu at Clyde's in Georgetown. Maybe we found our seventh inning stretch song?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 31, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree with JayB on this as well. Morse is a valuable asset and along with Willie gives us nice depth and a little more pop. I am also interested to see if Duncan and a couple of these other signings will bounce back. Starting to think we just might be a better than 80 win team but would really like to have seen another decent sp going into spring training. Maybe a trade?

Posted by: sjm3091 | January 31, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I dunno; Good Will Hunting sorta ruined that song for me.
****************
Posted by: JohninMpls | January 31, 2010 11:03 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 31, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Odds & Ends: Carroll, Wang, Hudson, Fielder
By Zach Links [January 31 at 9:50pm CST]

Sunday night linkage
....
* Washington GM Mike Rizzo and Orlando's Hudson's representative haven't talked in a couple of days, according to MLB.com's William Ladson (via Twitter). Furthermore, Rizzo says that if Hudson has brought his price down, it's news to him (also via Twitter).

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 31, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

that from MLBTR

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | January 31, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

A lot of stuff is news to Ladson. Including, many times, news.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 31, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

This neither here nor there, but for Johninmpls, the Starland Vocal Band (Bill and Taffy Danoff) were DC-based singers who backed up John Denver on ""Take me Home, Country Road'' and should have been much more successful far sooner and briefly than they were. Up here in Jersey, "A

Posted by: nats24 | February 1, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Somehow, I hit the wrong key and posted an unedited piece. My apologies. To finish the thought, across U.S. Route 9 in Freehold, NJ, the overpass for years near the Freehold Raceway (trotters) read: ""Afternoon Delight''

Posted by: nats24 | February 1, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh and another RIZZO COMMENT I really liked yesterday was that he understood that the effort and quality of effort was lacking at times last year. He said he would know that this team had made progress when he saw 9 innings of good baseball, fundamentally sound baseball. He said he did not see that last year or in prior years and it is a major point to him. I like that a lot. One thing that makes me so made is when Acta and Stan would stand up and complement our players and our product saying that they never gave up.....on and on....truth is much as Rizzo said. This team had major fundamentals and smarts issues as well as effort issues last year and it helps to call it like it is. I will be looking closely to see improvement and changes in Spring Training focus. It is needed and I for one am glad Rizzo sees it too.

Posted by: JayBeee | February 1, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

The Arrested Development episode of the same name might restore your faith in the tune.

-----

I dunno; Good Will Hunting sorta ruined that song for me.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I dunno; the *song* sorta ruined that song for me. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"Two years ago it would have been pointless to get two huge free agents, because what difference would it make?" Zimmerman said, elaborating on the signings. "Now we're getting closer to the point where our young core group of guys are maturing and almost ready for the big leagues and now all of a sudden if you go get two or three guys and plug them in with the talent we have, we'll probably have something special.

"So they've always been willing to spend money; it's just the timing hasn't been right. I think we're to the point now where the timing is getting there and you're seeing that the Lerners really do want to spent money."

Ryan Zimmerman. Gold Glove. Silver Slugger. Kool Aid Drinker. Who knew?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 1, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

And we're also seeing that the Washington Post really doesn't want to spent money on copy editors, aren't we?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Can't be a Starland Vocal Band fan. They won the Grammy for the Best New Act in around 1976 or 1977, I forget which, but eihter the, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, or the Talking Heads also had debut albums that year.

I like Morse, and it is fun to argue over which quality guy should not make the roster, but I'd prefer Jerry Owens, J-Max, or Bernardina as the 5th OF. Each brings something different (pop, contact, base stealing). All can run, field well and even back up CF. None can hit as well as Morse. Morse is more suited as a PH.

If Dukes bombs out, then a Duncan / Morse platoon might work. Good platoon splits.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Zimmerman doesn't drink the Kool Aid. He is the Kool Aid.

Posted by: longterm | February 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Morgan (.285, 110 runs, 50sb)
Hudson (.285, 90 runs, .375 obp)
Zimmerman (.290, 105 runs, 35 hr, 110 rbi)
Dunn (.260, 40 hr, .400obp)
Willingham (.260, 25 hr, 75 rbi)
Dukes (.270, 25 hr, 15 sb)
Pudge/Flores (.265, 20 hr, 60rbi)
Guzman/Desmond (.280, 15 hr, 15 sb)

Posted by: longterm | February 1, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Lannan (13 wins, 3.75 ERA, 1.25 WHIP)
Marquis (15 wins, 4.10 ERA, 1.35 WHIP)
Olsen (11 wins, 4.40 ERA, 1.35 WHIP)
Detwiler (8 wins, 4.40, 1.40 WHIP)
Batista (8 wins, 4.25 ERA, 1.30 WHIP)

Strasburg - after June call-up
(7 wins, 4.00 ERA, 1.25 WHIP)

Posted by: SpashCity | February 1, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

That would be 1977. Other nominees included Boston, Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, The Brothers Johnson, and Wild Cherry.

The Talking Heads, the Clash, and Sex Pistols all released their first albums in 1977.

The latter three have all been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed the FanFest yesterday. My daughter woke up with a runny nose and a cough, so I decided not to chance it by taking her outside. Glad to know that I made the right choice based on the coldness inside the stadium. Maybe next year they could hold it inside somewhere like the Reagan Building so everyone wouldn't freeze ...

Posted by: erocks33 | February 1, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Batista is a relief pitcher although listed as a starter. He did not start a single game last year and has not been a regular starter since 2007.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

NatsFest 2010 was much better than any event the Nats have put on to date, well organized, helpful staff, free ice cream, what else is there to say...I am excited for Spring Training.

Posted by: markfd | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Two thumbs up for NatsFest 2010. Seeing my 7-year old's eyes light up when meeting his favorite player (Josh Willingham) and hearing him make the bat sing in the batting cage made the cold absolutely bearable.

And kudos to Nyjer Morgan for going the extra mile when interacting with fans. I also got the sense that Rob Dibble played an important role in guiding the players through the Winter Caravan and NatsFest. Sometimes it takes the perspective that only age can bring to make you realize what an impact players have on young fans. Yet another reason to keep Dibs on board.

Posted by: GotWilk | February 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Baseball beat writers saying nats and Hudson are getting close to deal but twins are making last minute push

Posted by: swanni | February 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Zimmerman doesn't drink the Kool Aid. He is the Kool Aid.

Posted by: longterm | February 1, 2010 9:28 AM

************

LOL! Amen!

Posted by: NatsNut | February 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Dibble is now the co-host on XMs baseball this morning show from 7 to 10. He did his show this morning and had Riggleman on for an interview. Dibs did the show from his home in California on 1 hr sleep after a red eye flight. He enjoyed the fest as did Rigs and everyone else involved. When Rigs was questioned about the possibility of Hudson signing, he said thats in Rizzos hands but he thinks it will get done. I hope he's right.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I didn't make the fan fest this year because it was Kids Day at the Caps game yesterday afternoon. But I also went to Friday's Caps game at which numerous Nats were present and signing, including Nyjer, Dunn, Willingham, Lannan, Storen, and Rob Dibble. And I had this exchange with they Nats guy handing out mini-plan info:

Guy: Are you a season ticketholder?
Me: I have been but haven't renewed yet.
Guy: That's not what I want to hear.
Me: You need another pitcher.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 1, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and thanks a lot, now I can't get that stupid song out of my head.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 1, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Orlando Hudson Rumors: Monday
By Tim Dierkes [February 1 at 11:15am CST]

11:15am: Ladson tweets that the Indians, Rockies, and another AL team - not the Twins - are in on Hudson, aside from the Nationals. He adds in another tweet that Hudson "appears unwilling to play for the Nats at a discount."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I once was lukewarm, but I've come around.

Sign the guy awreddy.

and I want Lasik too.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 1, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

BobbL, try humming TMOTTBG until it goes away.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

okay, I'll ask: what is "TMOTTBG"?

Posted by: twinbrook | February 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Take Me Out To The Ball Game.

and turn in your card at the door.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 1, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and all your Nats gear, too. What's that, a Morgan jersey? I'll just take that - yoink...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Orlando Hudson Rumors: Monday
By Tim Dierkes [February 1 at 11:15am CST]

___________________________________________________________

I just got a bad feeling in my stomach and I don't think it's the Healthy Choice meal I had for lunch.

This deal needs to get done.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think all this Orlando Hudson "other teams now very interested" and Hudson "won't play for Nationals with a discounted contract" stuff is all last-minute negotiations between the two sides.

But here's what I don't understand: What is so wrong with Hudson that keeps 27 of the 30 teams from wanting him, and the other three wanting him for $3 million ($4 million with incentives)?

We're talking Matt Capps money for a former All-Star and current Gold Glove winner? Some of his internal stats have dropped a bit as he has aged, but he batted .283 last season and won his third Gold Glove. He's a tremendous clubhouse presence and beloved by his teammates.

Whether the Nationals want to pay his price or not, he seems to be worth $5-7 million at least.

Am I missing something?

Posted by: rushfari | February 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey! I found the acqueduct! And it was beneath a pig pasture. But we knew that already.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 1, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

well, it could be worse. They could all have us humming "Muskrat Love".

Posted by: twinbrook | February 1, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that what's preventing Hudson from getting more money is that the teams that need him have limited budgets for acquiring him. So while the Nats may have more than $4 million to spend, they're trying to get the player for $1 more than his next best offer. Let's hope that works out.

Posted by: jcj5y | February 1, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

We had a great time yesterday and thought it was well done. It was our first, but folks we talked to said it was much better than previous Fan Fests.
We got pix with Ryan Zimmerman, who deserves every nice thing that's said about him, and autographs from Nyjer Morgan and John Lannan, who were both very gracious and patient, even though we got to them as their autograph session was ending.
The only cold was walking outside between venues - you don't really expect them to heat the outdoors, do you?

Posted by: EinDC | February 1, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is now the co-host on XMs baseball this morning show from 7 to 10

************************************

That's gonna be a tough gig during the season - hope Dibs doesn't like sleeping! He'd better hope for fewer rain delays this year. But it'll still be rough, especially during west coast trips. But Buck Martinez did it for a number of years, so it can be done.

Speaking of Dibble, he hosted the Q & A sessions at NatsFest, and I and a number of other people made it a point to express how great it was to have him here. I also gave kudos to Charlie and Dave and asked Stan about the current radio deal, since I can't pick up 1500AM after dark in Reston. Stan said that they were looking at possible changes for the current season (yeah, right), but also that this is the last year of the Bonneville deal. I asked if there was a better radio deal in store for the future, and he said there would likely be a "different" radio deal. We'll see...

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 1, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

LOL! I was telling my husband the same thing over lunch.

---

well, it could be worse. They could all have us humming "Muskrat Love".

Posted by: twinbrook | February 1, 2010 2:27 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

once was lukewarm, but I've come around.

Sign the guy awreddy.

and I want Lasik too.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 1, 2010 1:27 PM |
______________________________________

Lasik is a bargain at twice the price Sec3. I was 20/300 in my "good eye" and didn't even make the chart in the bad eye... After Lasik, I am 20/25 and 20/30.

Posted by: TimDz | February 1, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats sign Hudson, where would he bat? Would he bat 2nd? And if so, where would Guzi bat?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 1, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfd | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Like also mentioned above, the pizza was really good. Also, the crowd was great. The lines moved quickly except at the batting cages. Compared to the Orioles where the people push and shove this was very cordial and classy. The TV monitors that scrolled the times of events was great.

The Security guards in the blue blazers looked very Secret Service like as I was reviewing my photos of Pudge I saw the gentleman in the Blue Blazer very close to Pudge and also in the photo op room with Zim.

The Gold Glove and Silver Slugger displays were great and hope sometime soon they get a photo of Ryan "Mr. Walk Off" Zimmerman to be photographed with the hardware!

A little disappointed that Strasburg wasn't any part of this. The young man got married on January 9th (I believe) and took a honeymoon to Hawaii. I would expect the timing to have worked for him to be in Washington even if he did a full 3 week Honeymoon.

For guys like Adam Dunn who has a newborn baby to make it---and BTW, was great at the Hot Stove Lunch, I would expect the new guy to make this.

It is also time to bring in some Old Timers of Washington like Harmon Killebrew, Dick Bosman, and Frank Howard. Somehow, they can be sponsored even if I have to pay $12 to $15 per ticket, it would be great and nostalgic.

Also get like they do in other cities and bring in Rawlings and Louisville Slugger to do demo's of making a fielding glove and cutting a bat on a lathe. I always enjoyed that in St. Louis FanFest. There were no vendors like last year too which are so much part of the experience in Baltimore and other cities to buy photos and signed balls, historic items, baseball cards etc.

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Washington, You're the Freakin Nats. In case yor forgot, you lost over 100 games last year.
You need to pay more to get good players to play for you.

Pay the freakin premium and get Hudson signed. What the heck are you waiting for?? Don't blow this!!!!

SIGN HUDSON!~~~~

Posted by: dovelevine | February 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Olney has different sources on Twins and Hudson:

"Just filed a note for rumor central: Twins appear to be serious in their pursuit of Orlando Hudson.He would be a strong fit, in many ways. "

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | February 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

As someone mentioned Frank Howard:

I wonder how freaky it is for him to constantly have 50+ year olds come up to him with stars in their eyes and say, "Gee, you were my hero growing up!"

We see him and we feel like kids again. He sees us with gray hair, wrinkles and a middle-age spread and think, "Gee, these guys need to get a life!"

I think that if Adam Dunn signs a long-term deal, he could become this generation's Hondo. He certainly has the personality and power to do it.

And .... sadly .... the glove.

Posted by: rushfari | February 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Just noticed that Zuckerman has a new blog (and he's not in the Post's plans - boo).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

O-dog would probably bat second.

i doubt he gets big money or more than a year because he has never scored 90 runs, never hit 16 homers, never had 70 rbi, only hit over .290 twice in nine years. 2006 in Arizona was his career year.

his career obp is close to .350, he's a nice glove and a switch hitter. he'd be a great fit for our team but there is no upside here. just a nice consistent every day major leaguer.

i'd love for Nats to sign the O-Dog but i'm glad to see Rizzo showing some backbone and holding the line also.

Posted by: longterm | February 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The Q&A format was very good this year because Rizzo, Riggleman, and Kasten each had a solo session. When they are on a panel, it's nothing but hot stove talk, but this way, the questions for Riggleman were geared toward game management and for Kasten were geared toward marketing, broadcast rights, and the fan experience.

Did Stan Kasten break even for a second from his talking points? As usual, most questions were answered with his typical if-you-only-knew-what-I-know-you'd-understand-why-it-is-the-way-it-is answer; but he did lighten up a bit when talking about broadcast, acknowledging that he wish he didn't have to live under MASN, and promising better radio reach after the current contract expires in 1 year.

When thepostischeap asked about improving radio reception within the stadium, Kasten stunned me (and I think himself), paused and said "That's a good idea and it might actually be pretty easy to do." He then hunted for a pen to write it down.

None of the Q&A sessions were full (Kasten's in particular was half empty). Still, I'm told people were turned away when they ran out of wristbands; so clearly the new wristband system needs tweaking.

The cold was only a problem in places where you had to wait outside in the shade. Tip for future years: The north entrance gate is in the sun.

To my eye, attendance was significantly lower than last year. Blame it on the snow, the cold, and the 103 losses. If I were Kasten, I'd make it a completely free open house to boost attendance. It's a great event that should continue to improve over time. I'd be curious what other types of activities other teams have at their winter events.

Posted by: LetTeddyWin_com | February 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

BTW Dibble did a great job as Q&A moderator. If he had his druthers, I think he'd spend the hour both asking and answering the questions.

Posted by: LetTeddyWin_com | February 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....AMEN to you Doveline-we're already getting ANY player on the cheap-given the market this year and the lateness of the hour....and BEGGARS can't be CHOOSERS! When you lose like we have, begging for players of any stature is actually being generous. But Rushfari's point is also in the back of my mind. Remember, Ronnie B. displaced the O dog at the end of the year. Nonetheless....based on all the positive press from our players he's certain to be the kind of clubhouse guy we keep claiming we want, So...SIGN him....O.K.? And .........what's all this Hudson talk?
Go Nats!!!!!

Posted by: zendo | February 1, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Not to count unhatched chickens, but I'd think something like this:

Morgan - 8
Hudson - 4
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 3
Willingham - 7
Dukes - 9
Guzman - 6
Rodriguez - 2
Pitcher - 1

Obviously, lefty/righty scenarios would change this up a bit, but it's not a bad start, right?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

It's also Xavier Nady money, I was just reminded.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Looking to the future, Bryce Harper got a single and a SF fly in his first game. In his second he hit his first collegiate home run. He finished 2-for-4 with a double, walk, run, and an RBI.

He's only 17, the same age as HS Juniors.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | February 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerman projected the same lineup, only switching Rodriguez and Guzman.

How would Guzzie react to hitting eighth?

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Why was the ODawg replaced by Ronnie Belliard who has less range than even Dan Uggla in the field? Aw, the hot bat.

I remember Torre wanted to go with the Hot Bat at the time as the ODawg was in a mini slump, but how do you give up on ODawg's speed and glove in taking a temporary higher Batting Average and losing all the other tangibles of the game.

It worked for a while for the Dodgers, and in the end when Ronnie fizzled out with his 207 pound physique, they had nothing as they already burned the ODawg.

It just shows you that Torre and his record with good/mediocre teams suck. If he wasn't handed the Yankees, he would be in the Manager's dumpster with so many other guys. Check his record out. Its not great. Just ask ARod!

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

He's only 17, the same age as HS Juniors.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | February 1, 2010 3:56 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If he passes a drug test for PED's then this is the guy (I mean kid). He literally is a boy amongst men.

Reminds me so much of Joe Mauer when I see him in catcher's gear!

A shame his advisor is Scott Bora$$.

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 1, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Does a one year $4.5 million deal for Hudson sound reasonable to anyone else?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...apologies for my excited and exhausted brain IN ending my last post asking about Hudson, Duh!!! As in the pitcher-not the O dag! Sheesh!! In my eagerness for another quality arm, my mind just locked up. MAN..Need..baseball games.. .. SOON!!!!!
Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | February 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, a SlowPitch sighting. Good to "see" you on here!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Public service announcement: there will be live baseball games on MLB Network starting tomorrow afternoon, when the first Caribbean World Series match airs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Garrett Atkins and Pedro Feliz signed one year $4.5 million dollar deals and they're not as good as Hudson.

Just sign the guy already.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 1, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Morgan - 8
Hudson - 4
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 3
Willingham - 7
Dukes - 9
Guzman - 6
Rodriguez - 2
Pitcher - 1

I like @JohninMpls lineup and then see where the Hammer and the Dukes go once the season starts as Dukes, when hot, can be even more valuable after Dunn as he has the speed that the Hammer doesn't.

You guys are making Riggles job easy.

Talking about Riggles, did you hear his candor talking about how many teams already have 24 of their 25 already set at this time of the year and he thought he had 20 to 21 of his 25 set already.

Mike Morse has to be in my 25 for his pinch hitting and versatility and power pop, and late inning defensive switch with the ADunn. Willie Harris is a good enough veteran to handle the occassional PH too and is so versatile. I just don't have a lot of trust in JMax and RogBern to come of the bench and go clutch.

So you have your floaters (if ODawg comes to DC) of Ian Desmond, Alberto Gonzalez, Mike Morse, Willie Harris, Chris Duncan, Roger Bernadina, Justin Maxwell, Eric Bruntlett, and Josh Whitesell.

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

MLB on XM moved Dibble to the morning show to pair JIM BOWDEN with Jody MacDonald? Capt. Leatherpants is harder to get rid of than crabgrass.

Posted by: leetee1955 | February 1, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 1a.
With work, play and some health issues I always seemed to be three or four posts behind. I enjoyed reading, but found that what ever I had to say had already been covered, or on those rare occasions when I had an original idea, the discussion had already passed me by.

Maybe I can participate with everyone here more often this year.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | February 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

leetee

could be worse had xm paired jimbow with holden kushner. might as well shut down the transmitter for those three hours.

Posted by: surly_w | February 1, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | February 1, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse
****************************************

Yeah, what's up that? I almost drove off the road when they announced that Bowden is the new co-host. XM should have to pay me to listen to that segway-riding, leather pants-wearing, drunk-driving, airplane-farting pompous jack@$$. MLB HomePlate will no longer be on during afternoon drive time in my car.

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 1, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and while I'd like to take credit about asking about installing a radio transmitter in the park, that was not me asking that question. I asked the first question about the radio deal (the gentleman who asked Stan about the transmitter originally had the same question I did).

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 1, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 1, 2010 5:50 PM
------------------------
Radio reception in the park is bad? Could've fooled me as I listen at all the games I've been to (bad eyes), day, night, works great for me.

Actually, WJFK would be a bad move for me as the reception in Bethesda is pretty bad on all the portable radios I have (but, if it'll help your friends in NoVA, then I suppose I'll have to learn to live with the fuzziness).

Posted by: OldDude | February 1, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | February 1, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

>>I'm beginning to believe that Orlando Hudson thinks he's Hyman Roth - "Michael, I'm going to take a nap. When I wake up, if the money is on the table, I'll know I have a partner. If it isn't, I'll know I don't." Posted by: BinM

Nice. But personally I wish that Rizzo would make Hudson a deal he couldn't refuse.

Posted by: dovelevine | February 1, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@dovelevine: I hear you on O.Hudson.
------------------
If the season started tomorrow, here's my 25-man roster...
- Lineup -
CF- Morgan, N.
SS- Desmond, I.
3B- Zimmerman, R.
1B- Dunn, A.
LF- Willingham, J.
RF- Dukes, E.
CA- Rodriguez, I.
2B- Gonzalez, A.
SP- *,*

Bench: Harris, W.; Morse, M.; Maxwell, J.; Nieves, W.; Bruntlett, E.

SP: Marquis, J; Lannan, J.; Stammen, C.; Olsen, S.; Martis, S.
RP: Clippard, T.; Bergmann, J.; Guardado, E.; Walker, T.; Burnett, S.; Bruney, B.; Capps, M.
- Also -
DL-15: Flores, J.(CA); Guzman, C.(SS)
DL-60: Zimmermann, J.

"On-call" in SYR - Detwiler, R.(SP); Martin, J.D.(SP); Mock, G.(RP-SP); Batista, M.(RP); Storen, D.(RP); Peralta, J.(RP).

Posted by: BinM | February 1, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Best athletes first?

CF----Morgan, N
RF----Dukes, E.
3B----Zimmerman, R.
1B----Dunn, A.
SS/2B--Desmond, I.
LF-----Willingham, J.
SS/2B--Guzman,C.
C-----Rodriguez, I.

SP Marquis, Lannan, Mock, Chico or Olsen (whoever is healithiest), Detwiler, Martiin.

Posted by: periculum | February 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Its hard to make Hudson a "deal he can't refuse." As Law states, he became a severe ground baller ... his extra base totals went way down which could be an indicator that his hitting is declining rapidly. If I am Rizzo, I am not offering more than a year with an option for a second. I am willing to bet that is the hold up.

Posted by: periculum | February 1, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

@peric:
I thought about Dukes in the #2spot in my lineup, but until he proves he can either 1) lay off a breaking ball in the dirt, or 2) start more than 120 games, I'd rather see him lower in the lineup.

The thought of Desmond in the #5 slot right now is either laughable or tragic; I can't decide which. There is next to nothing to base that on, given the small sample size of ML PA's to date. IMO, he's only in the opening-day 25 if Guzman is on the DL, or he hits so well in Viera that the team HAS to make a spot for him.

Matt Chico shouldn't be considered as a SP any longer, IMO; He had trouble getting past 5IP, even when healthy. He's a LR at best, especially after shoulder reconstruction. FWIW, I considered him as the teams' LR & another LHP in the bullpen to open the season on my 25-man.

Mock has a good arm, but doesn't seem to adapt quickly to the situation at-hand (the same could possibly be said for Bergmann & Balester, as well). I'd prefer to see Mock start the year in SYR as a SP, than with WSH in either the rotation or bullpen.

Posted by: BinM | February 1, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I know there have been a couple of comments about the pizza - I really hope Flippin' Pizza will be a staple at the Park this year. They'd be a great local addition to the concession fare (they have eight locations locally, so check one out - their other four stores are in CA). Sure beats Papa Johns anyday. Also, did anyone else notice that they didn't charge the normal outrageous concession prices yesterday like they did last year? For example, a bottle of Coke was (only!) $3 compared to the normal $4.50, a hot dog was $3, etc. I'll give the team credit for taking the feedback from last year and making a positive change.

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 1, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Former Met (Angel, Brave, White Sox, etc) Dave Gallagher, who lives near me and runs a baseball camp/school, after he saw me with my '60s Senators hat (curly W, of course, just like today) was talking about Frank Howard as a Mets coach: "He'd always tell me about hitting, 'You always gotta look out for number one,'' -- meaning the heater. I wonder if that's what Teddy Ballgame told him. Not rocket science, but easier said than done. I hope the Nats bring Hondo back.

Posted by: nats24 | February 2, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Was just looking at the Caribbean World Series stories on mlb.com. Mexico's representing team clinched a berth this weekend on a sac fly by, guess who? Viin-ny Cast-iiii-llllaaaa! Looks like he's still on the roster. Wasn't he a coach last year? Guess I know which team I'm going to be rooting for. Come on, hit your gum once or twice for old times' sake, Vinny.

In other news, the Puerto Rican team has former Nat Saul Rivera, and the Dominican team has a former Nat as well. I won't say who, but his initials are EB. hmmm...

Oddly enough, Roberto Ficko was on the 40-man roster, but doesn't seem to have made the cut for the series. Wait a minute. I thought he was angling for the team Italy roster back in the WBC days? What is he, Mr. Universe? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 2, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I still love Vinny Castilla.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 2, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 2, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Nationals Park on Jan. 31 with snow on the ground beats FedEx Field ANY day of the year. We had a great time.

Posted by: duck6 | February 3, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse