An introduction to Adam Kilgore

The most appealing thing about being a baseball writer, even better than the summer nights of bat cracks and 6-4-3s, of clubhouse banter and Technicolor sunsets, is the unwritten contract you enter into. Baseball is woven into the hum and churn of a city, the games playing on bar TVs while the first happy hour bleeds into the next, the second-guessing starting on the walk from the bleachers to the Metro, the aftermath still hovering the next morning. And at doorsteps and on computer screens, helping fill the space between, it's all there written up clean.

The newspaper beat writer becomes a small part of a city's baseball experience, and that means he or she becomes part of the city's pulse. People wake up. They have coffee. They ride the Metro to work. At some point, most of them will want to know what happened -- what really happened -- at the yard the night before. It is a responsibility the baseball writer has, and it's incredibly cool.

In Washington and at The Post, that responsibility now belongs to me, Adam Kilgore. I arrived in Viera yesterday. I will start writing some today as my predecessor and good friend Chico Harlan helps pass the baton. By the start of next week, the byline under Nationals stories will almost always be mine. I can't wait.

I'm coming back here after 18 wonderful months working at the Boston Globe, where I covered the Red Sox and, more recently, the Patriots. I grew up a sports-obsessed kid in York, Maine, a relatively small town about 35 minutes south of Portland. I knew from the time I was 12 I wanted to be a sportswriter. It's sometimes hard to believe the way things have worked out.

Over the next months and years, I think you'll get to know me. It's more important that I know all of you. I'm really proud to take over this beat and blog from Chico and Barry, and a major key to its continued success will be your feedback. I think the passion in the community you've built here is tremendous, and I know I don't have to tell you that if there's something you think I can do better, you'll let me know. That's a good thing.

Thank you to everyone who's had nice things to say to or about me on Twitter, in e-mail, and in person. I'm looking forward to diving in and doing my part.

Editor's note: Nationals Journal is now on Twitter, too.

By Adam Kilgore  |  February 25, 2010; 8:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats sign Livo to minor league deal
Next: Livan Hernandez, Craig Stammen, and new fathers

Comments

welcome!

Posted by: DCNationals | February 25, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Adam. You had me with "Baseball is woven into the hum and churn of a city." I hope you can help Washington embrace that concept.

I'll keep an eye out for York as we drive up to Bowdoin.

Posted by: Natsgal | February 25, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, Adam. Glad to have you on the job. Have fun with it.

Posted by: dfh21 | February 25, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Adam-

Welcome to the beat. As a kid, my family used to leave Long Island and go to the Grey Gull Motel in York. ME for summer vacations. I remember a carousel and salt water taffy somewhere near there.

We look forward to hearing everything about the team including both the majors and minors, the attitude of the team, what goes on in the locker room and some more features of players and such both in season and the off season.

Best of luck!

Posted by: NatsWin | February 25, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

What I delightful intro--welcome to NJ, Adam! Like the Nats, the "baseball tradition in DC" is very much a work in progress, and it looks like the Post made a very nice off-season acquisition in its new beat writer who can help nurture that tradition.

Enjoyed Boz's article too. Yes, you-know-who remains cheap, but we can hope for noticeable improvement. Ah, Spring training, and hope springs eternal.

Posted by: NatsFly | February 25, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

And so another era begins for Nats fans. On more than one level, I think.

Kilgore, you had me at, "as much as I love Boston, I really love DC."

My only request: take this thing and run.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Great to have you, Kilgore.

Posted by: Section506 | February 25, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam -

We have been going to York for years. It's a great place. Is that the Nubble in the background in the picture of you on another blog?

Posted by: luxetveritas | February 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Great intro. Welcome (back).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"...written up clean." Do you mean, expletives deleted? Or without Boz-chat-level typos? Or what? It's evocative but I'm not sure where you are going with it. It's a very cool line though, reminds me of "Superbonbon" - "Too fat, fat, you got to cut clean / Got to take the elevator to the mezzanine..."

Welcome! Looking forward to getting an energized take on the Nats from you.

Posted by: nationalsanthems | February 25, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Welcome!

Posted by: tgerbracht | February 25, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam (Trout)! Missed you around Post land and glad to have you around to track this team's ASCENT over the time of your beat!

Posted by: mo_dc | February 25, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Welcome. All we want in about 4 stories a day, at least one exclusive, lots of insider info and nothing but good news - if it's bad news we will hold you responsible.

And be easy on Chico, he did a great job for us.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | February 25, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

You forgot the part about how Barry used to buy ice cream for all of us after the game. :-)

---

And be easy on Chico, he did a great job for us.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | February 25, 2010 9:44 AM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Adam,
Welcome!
What a wonderful start-
If this is prolog you will do your job very well, indeed.
I pledge to do mine, which is to enjoy you doing your job and from time to time add something.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | February 25, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for coming back. We missed you down in Blacksburg.

Posted by: dirtball | February 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam - great intro and great to hear about your sports-obsessed background. You don't have to worry about hearing from this crowd - see what you can do about helping make it bigger.

Posted by: natslifer | February 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Loved your College Bball chats back in the day, this should be a good season. Good luck keeping this crew happy - you're already one step ahead by being anti-food.

Posted by: MBUSA | February 25, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam. Over the last few years I have vacationed in ME during 4th of July. Man, what a great state ME is. Peaceful and relaxing and of course, the Lobster is incredible.

I'm sure you'll do a bang up job. Please make sure you keep Stan K. and the Lerners on their toes and make them answer some tough questions. They've had to easy for to long.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 25, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Adam,

Welcome back and to the Nats beat. I'm looking forward to seeing you run with it. Best of luck.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | February 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Wecome; hope you ask hard questions (and follow-ups) and don't let the Nats' PR folks drive your agenda.

Posted by: Bill-CH | February 25, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Does this also mean we can talk about good restaurants again? I used to get all my best food tips from Nationals Journal.

Posted by: Section506 | February 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Baseball is woven into the hum and churn of a city, the games playing on bar TVs while the first happy hour bleeds into the next, the second-guessing starting on the walk from the bleachers to the Metro, the aftermath still hovering the next morning. And at doorsteps and on computer screens, helping fill the space between, it's all there written up clean.

The newspaper beat writer becomes a small part of a city's baseball experience, and that means he or she becomes part of the city's pulse. People wake up. They have coffee. They ride the Metro to work. At some point, most of them will want to know what happened -- what really happened -- at the yard the night before. "

Nice description of Boston there. (Substitute "T" for "Metro".) But that ain't Washington, and never has been. Mopar to ya though if you think you can turn DC into that kind of town. At least you have that ambition, which is more than can be said about the last beat writer.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam!

Please keep using Twitter as well for quick status updates. Do you have a Google Buzz account that will have status updates as well?

Posted by: dgsodani | February 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Adam: just remember that when you wax poetic about the "city", you need to include NOVA and the applicable geos in Maryland.

Posted by: joemktg1 | February 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Adam.

I hope that you have the longevity of the last Washington Nationals beat writer who was born in Maine. I learned to read and appreciate good writing by reading "This Morning."

BTW, now all we have to do is rip the number off of Strasburg's uni so that he doesn't have a number on his back, just like the last big, dominating pitcher in a Nats jersey.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | February 25, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the beat! Good luck and may you have a more exciting team on which to report than your predecessor.

Nats Fan in KC

Posted by: mastroj | February 25, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I admit that I am a traitor to my generation. I have no idea how to use Twitter.

Specifically, how can I get these tweets to pop up on my mobile in an easily readable fashion? I have no interest in sending out any myself, I just want an indicator to pop-up on my BlackBerry (the Tour) and let me read it.

I signed up for a Twitter account, so I've got that, but stuck there. If it makes a difference in anyone's answer, I don't know how to use RSS feeds either.

Posted by: Section506 | February 25, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Welcome! We're looking forward to your work writing about our revamped Nats!

Posted by: AMD2 | February 25, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Holy word I can't say on National's Journal, the thing did it all for me itself after I verified my account.

Wow.

Posted by: Section506 | February 25, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, in Adam we trust.

Posted by: jfromPG | February 25, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Beautifully written introduction, Adam -- welcome aboard. I promise, NJ commentors don't bite (most of us, anyway).

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

New season. New beat writer. Spring training. Gosh I feel optimistic. Welcome Adam.

Posted by: ArlingtonNatsFan | February 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm so pleased to hear your opinion about how your job fits in with the city's pulse. I wake up every morning and read the gamer. I look forward to you joining my morning routine.

Posted by: Elyse315 | February 25, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Adam, and great post!

Posted by: Section220 | February 25, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, glad to have you!!!

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | February 25, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Can't ever get enough news about the ascension of the Nats! Welcome aboard.

Posted by: shanks1 | February 25, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Worst. Post. Ever.

Posted by: tailwagger | February 25, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Adam, great to have you back. I remember your excellent writing when you interned here.

I'm a Chico fan but it is great to have someone who can talk romantically about baseball. You are definitely speaking our language. Now start debating UZR vs plus/minus and we're really in business!

Posted by: Avar | February 25, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Adam --

Glad to have you back! Oh sure, everyone is lovey-dovey to you now, but watch your back. Some of us will turn on you if you don't give us what we want ... lots and lots of posts!

And remember, "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Posted by: erocks33 | February 25, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Great introduction!! I look forward to reading you. Welcome!!

Posted by: moorich | February 25, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Welcome. I read the 10 Q&A post on you and look forward to your efforts to inform us about the Nats that we love.

Posted by: alm1000 | February 25, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Now that Washington is becoming a serious baseball town, we can move forward with a writer for the ages. Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Posted by: cokedispatch | February 25, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to Washington. Please know that Stan loves the media. You can ask him anything. See what his projection for attendance will be this year. You'll be fine.

Posted by: brianbu | February 25, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow 506,

We can have heated discussions about restaurants ... the Inn at Little Washington anyone?

Welcome back to a Syracuse alum.

Posted by: periculum | February 25, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Welcome! We're excited to have you!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | February 25, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Adam. Great start.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 25, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Adam Kilgore is our hero!

He has come to slay the dragon and the villagers are incredibly grateful. The fire breathing, pointy toothed, scaly beast know as 'Lacking Coverage' will cower in his wake and retire to Miami where it belongs.

Long Live the Dragon Slayer; Long live Adam Kilgore!

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 25, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Good for you Adam, nice intro! Now make all of us diehards proud!

However I'm afraid your trip to the baseball promised land will end about 500 miles short. DC is a baseball lovers wasteland. No fault of yours but when your frustrated come late July and fighting for white space just remember EGR is not your friend!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | February 25, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I miss the old guy already. Seriously, welcome. This is seven days a week, eight months straight, no vacations (and knowing the Post, no overtime), forget seeing the family for weeks on end, baseball players generally average about 85 IQ, get used to monosyllabic (and nonsensical) answers, this crowd here is no bargain either, but if you roll with it, have low expectations, realize you're in a dying industry, you might have fun with it.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | February 25, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Kilgore!

Now get writing. Where in the hell are we going to get some run production in this lineup?

Posted by: 6thandD | February 25, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Welcome. I hope it works out for you. Some advice that might contradict your editors: if you haven't given the score by the end of the second sentence in your gamer, you're not writing a gamer. This is kind of in the same category as Red Barber's egg timer.

Posted by: 24thStNE | February 25, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Adam! Watch out for the raccoons down there in Viera.

Posted by: JennX_ | February 25, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Adam,

Followed your Red Sox coverage at the Globe and loved it. Look forward to seeing you continue that same work here with the Nats.

Posted by: bzerante1 | February 25, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

welcome to the monkeyhouse.

Posted by: sec231 | February 25, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse