Detwiler: hip injury grew worse this winter

Speaking to the media for the first time since undergoing hip surgery Feb. 15, Nationals left-hander Ross Detwiler on Saturday said the injury bothered him some last season but grew much worse when he began preparing for spring training beginning in January.

"Every day [during the course of a 162-game season], you have aches and pains," Detwiler, 23, said. "But it didn't really stand out as anything that was going to keep me off the field until I started firing it up again this year."

As Detwiler spoke, he leaned on crutches that he said he will have to use for three weeks. He hopes to begin throwing again in six weeks and could return to the Nationals in 10 weeks, or around the beginning of May.

Despite the prognosis, the surgery damages Detwiler's chances of making the Nationals' rotation in the first half of 2010, putting him behind not only the rest of the crowd of young pitchers vying for three open spots this spring, but also veteran Chien-Ming Wang, who is coming off shoulder surgery but is expected to return in May, and perhaps top prospect Stephen Strasburg.

"I don't want to go out there and compete when I'm not healthy," Detwiler said. "I want to be at 100 percent when I'm competing for a job."

Team officials have said Detwiler made no mention of the injury last season. He arrived in Viera, where he owns a residence, in January to begin preparing for spring training. He first reported the injury to a team trainer in early February, and was seen by a local doctor, who ordered an MRI. When the MRI showed a tear, Detwiler traveled to Vail, Col. to see hip specialist Dr. Marc Philippon, who performed the surgery the same day.

"I don't have to miss too much of the season," Detwiler said. "But yeah, obviously I [would have preferred] to have this done [earlier] so I wouldn't miss any time at all."

By Dave Sheinin  |  February 20, 2010; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rizzo on Strasburg, Desmond, Dunn, etc.
Next: Viera, Day III

Comments

I think the ' detwiler waited too long' angle is a bit of a dead horse by now, don't you?

How about trying to find out which pitchers rizzo is targeting.,,

Posted by: swanni | February 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Could livo be on the radar for a minor league contract?

Posted by: swanni | February 20, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Forgive the repost, but I'd love to hear Rizzo's riposte before the next repast at the Viera Panera.

What does his crystal ball say about the future corner outfield spots?

Resigning Dunn makes perfect sense. But where does that leave Marrero? Does he go back to the outfield?

Does Rizzo project Michael Burgess or Destin Hood as a future major leaguer?

And if the Nats pick Harper, rather than this year's 6-7 LSU pitcher (Ben McDonald, part deux?) is he a corner outfielder? Or does Harper catch, with Norris moving to OF?

Posted by: Drew8 | February 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, Drew. Way to let 'er rip in your post. :-)

---

Drew8 | February 20, 2010 2:51 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Drew8, if Dunn signs an extension, it leaves Chris Marrero exactly where he is right now: in the minors, hoping to prove one day that he belongs on a major-league roster. And Norris and Harper? Good gravy; they're barely gleams in scouts' eyes at this point.

The larger point here -- which I direct not so much at you but at the community in general -- is, don't go expecting anything specific out of a bush-leaguer. Of course we should dream of our favorites making it to the bigs; hoping is great; even expecting is part of being a fan. But what makes no sense is *planning* on what these kids will be in several years. Too much can happen.

If the team has two major-league first sackers in Dunn and Marrero, that will be a pleasant surprise. If they somehow, someday, have both Norris and Harper, and both are capable receivers, and both are major-league-caliber hitters* ... well, we should all have such problems.

* Which, to be fair, seems like an awfully good bet -- at least 50/50 -- for both of them right now. I mean, they look GOOD.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 20, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

In a prior comment, we read:

I do not care how good [Strasburg] looks in ST. If they keep him on the farm until June they get another year before free agency for the guy. No brainer, if ever there was one.
Posted by: dfh21 | February 20, 2010 2:09 PM
++++++++++++
dfh21 is CHEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!11!!!!!@@!@!!11!!!

(And man, I loved your advice that Harlan should feel free to tick off Rizzo. The only thing that would have made it funnier is if I came up with it myself.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 20, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

And since I'm here by myself, I have one other bit of old business. Yesterday afternoon, Sec3 posts this ...

"No one will understand him, probably, but then, that's what happens whenever I speak *Japanese*." [emphasis added]

... and you ALL let it sail right past you.

Words cannot describe the depth of my disappointment.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 20, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

It may have sailed by me, Scooter, but I knew it was a strike. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 20, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

So your eye is fine, but you couldn't pull the trigger. Well ... you're not the first to get locked up by that guy, so okay. Take a lap and hit the showers. We'll get 'em tomorrow.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 20, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Soooooooooooo ... you're saying no one understands me when I speak *English*?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 20, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of English, Tiger was standing ON a podium, *behind* a lectern.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 20, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, what?

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 20, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

In de col men seivuan prisencol inensinain ciusol ol rait. Uis de seim cius men op de seim ol uat men in de colobos dai Trr... Ciak is e maind beghin de col bebi stei ye push yo oh Uis de seim cius men in de colobos dai Not is de seim laikiu de promisdin iu nau in trabol lovgiai ciu gen in do camo not cius no bai for lov so op op giast cam lau ue cam lov ai Oping tu stei laik cius go mo men iu bicos tue men cold dobrei gorls Oh sandei... Ai ai smai sesler eni els so co uil piso ai in de col men seivuan Prisencolinensinainciusol ol rait Uei ai sint no ai giv de sint laik de cius nobodi oh gud taim lev feis go Uis de seim et seim cius go no ben let de cius end kai for not de gai giast stei Ai ai smai senflecs eni go for doing peso ai In de col mein seivuan prisencolinensinainciusol ol rait lu nei si not sicidor ah es la bebi la dai big iour Ai ai smai senflecs eni go for doin peso ai In de col mein saivuan prisencolinensinainciusol ol rait lu nei si not sicodor ah es la bebi la dai big iour.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 20, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

0-2 waste pitch, low and away... (http://tinyurl.com/yjpndwl)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 20, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Marerro is right handed, Dunn left-handed. Marerro learns to play the outfield. Perhaps he gets traded?

If Norris can learn to catch as well as hit ... right now Flores is an extremely iffy proposition. He has had a lot of injuries in his career for a catcher.

The big thing to watch is the minors. One shouldn't assume that CMW with shoulder surgery will beat out Detwiler. Nor should we assume there won't be pitchers who might rise up out of the minors, and who have healthy arms. Excluding Strasburg who appears to be a "lock".

Shouldn't they at least try to get a real top rung #1 pitcher so that Strasburg can at least start out as #2,#3 and work his way to #1?

Posted by: periculum | February 21, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I just finished reading all the updates ...

At this point shouldn't one strongly suspect that a trade will be worked out for Bruney? That quote: "Part of me has changed since that arbitration meeting ..." It almost sounds like he is asking to be traded?

Posted by: periculum | February 21, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Wow, you guys were on a roll last night, S&S!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 21, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the video rocked (but the lyrics were rather banal, I thought). ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 21, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I guess for me the red flag regarding Bruney is this: is he a whiner?

Nobody told him he had to go to arbitration. I'm sure his agent(s) had the chance to negotiate with the Nats. It takes two parties to take a player to arbitration. Both the player and the team make the choice.

The process is what it is--often ugly, when it gets down to it. Everybody knows that. Heck, even a lot of us here on NJ know that.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | February 21, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

The really cool part to me is that is was so obviously parodying videos (esp. Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation and All Right) ... until I looked at the date: this was done in the early 1970s, long before they were made.

***********
Oh, and the video rocked (but the lyrics were rather banal, I thought). ;-)
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 21, 2010 7:51 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 21, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I was surprised by the date, too.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm often surprised by my dates.

Posted by: Scooter_ | February 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse