From Viera, Day II
I caught a good portion of SportsCenter while cranking out some miles on the treadmill this morning, and of course everybody was talking about Tiger, and at one point Tom Rinaldi described his Friday afternoon news conference as a the sort of JFK-ish event that you'll always associate with an exact time and place. "Where were you when Tiger stood behind the podium?"
I can tell you, gladly, that at 11 a.m. Friday I was listening to Manager Jim Riggleman. He spoke for roughly 21-1/2 minutes, apparently unscripted, looking mostly relaxed while sitting in the dugout at Space Coast Stadium. Several television cameras were present, all representing outlets from Asia. Riggleman spoke about Stephen Strasburg, Jesus Flores, Ross Detwiler and Chien-Ming Wang. He seemed, best as I can tell, sincere. But we'll have to see what America thinks.
Anyway, some quick Nats notes...
* Here is today's fishwrap story on Wang.
* Except a quiet day here in Viera. Pitchers and catchers conduct their first workout tomorrow, but today is simply for physical exams. Every P and C gets a check-up at an off-site facility.
* Stephen Strasburg will throw a bullpen session tomorrow.
* Riddle: If Chien-Ming Wang is the Michael Jordan of Taiwain and Michael Jordan is the Chien-Ming Wang of America, is Stephen Strasburg the Chien-Ming Wang and the Michael Jordan of Brevard County, Fla.?
* Linkage: Keith Law (ESPN.com Insider) gives an advance look at the 2010 MLB draft class... Chien-Ming Wang is big news in China (special thanks to Federal Baseball blog for discovering this one)... Riggleman shares his outlook for 2009.
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 20, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sec231 | February 20, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: BinM | February 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Drew8 | February 20, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | February 20, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jazz2661 | February 20, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Grace68 | February 21, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.