Strasburg era set to begin

Dave Sheinin is already in Viera, Fla., where a few players have already shown up to prepare for spring training -- including Stephen Strasburg.

"It's exciting. There's just a different kind of buzz here this year," said third baseman Ryan Zimmerman about the atmosphere when Strasburg stepped onto the bullpen mound.

Read the entire story on Strasburg's day here.

By Alexa Steele  |  February 16, 2010; 8:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your official spring training 25-man roster prediction
Next: A few nuggets (chicken and otherwise) from Viera

Comments

Loved the last line in the story... "So the kid was going to Disney World".

Posted by: twinbrook | February 16, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I cannot wait to get down to Viera especially after all of this snow!

Posted by: markfd | February 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natbiscuits | February 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

It's Tuesday. P & C report the day after the day after tomorrow.

The white nonsense I see out my window becomes less depressing.

Posted by: mikecatcher50 | February 16, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"Awesome ... we've reached the spring training daily feature phase ... so goood...."

Dream on. Strasburg's off to Disney World, Sheinin's off to the all-you-can-eat buffet - where with Loverro gone now there'll be all the more for him. Strasburg will resurface long before Sheinin will. Look for the next WaPo spring training feature in about a week.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 16, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Who was removed from the 40 man after the Kneendy signing became official?

Posted by: TimDz | February 16, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

or Kennedy...stupid man hands...

Posted by: TimDz | February 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm so excited that I'm gonna eat at Panera on Thursday and just imagine I'm in Viera!

Posted by: ramgut | February 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@ TimDZ

I don't think the Nats have yet cleared space for Kennedy on the 40 man roster.

Anyone know by when they have to do this?
The Kennedy signing became official Feb 12.

Posted by: Sunderland | February 16, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Great idea re. Panera, ramgut. I may just do the same.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | February 16, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It was reported the other day that the Nats have already placed someone on waivers to make room for Kennedy. They just haven't released the name yet.

Posted by: nunof1 | February 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Golly, Molly! It is wonderful to read a baseball story like "Stephen Strasburg era begins for Washington Nationals". A note at the end of the article "Staff writer Chico Harlan contributed to this report". You can just about pick out the great tidbits Chico contributed ... Nice report, guys....GO NATS!!!!

Posted by: bsballu5 | February 16, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Dave Sheinin wrote: They honeymooned in Hawaii, on the island of Kauai, and Stephen had his baseball glove in his carry-on luggage. Every other day, he would drive to Kauai High School to throw a bullpen session. The catcher, Lanan Rice-Kashima -- "Put his name in there; he'll get a kick out of that," Strasburg said -- was a 5-foot-9, 165-pound high school ballplayer whose services had been lined up in advance by Strasburg's agents.

At the first session, it was just Stephen and Lanan. But as word spread around the island, more and more people showed up to watch the pitcher with the 100-mph fastball, a kid who has been described as the best pitching prospect of all time. By the last session, there were dozens of spectators, many of them asking for autographs, a few inviting the newlyweds over for dinner.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am on a Blog with a guy from Kauai Hawaii who wrote me and told me this was going on at his High School in mid-January. I could find no mention of this anywhere and thought he was BSing me.

Glad Sheinin included that in his piece! I sent the article off to my buddy. At first, I found it odd that Strasburg was throwing baseballs during his honeymoon and now I can see his dedication as well as the continued involvement of Bora$ with his prized client.

I can't wait to see him pitch in Viera this Spring.

Posted by: dmacman88 | February 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse