A quick and not very uplifting Jesus Flores update

Jesus Flores is not feeling defeated in his rehab from shoulder surgery, but there are days he comes close. Yesterday, he wanted to throw 120 feet, but the weakness in his right should wouldn't let him move past 90. He thought he'd be swinging by this week; now he's not so sure.

"Every time I say something, it doesn't happen," Flores said. "I'm not a lucky guy right now."

Flores has not experienced any setbacks. He's just not progressing as quickly as he hoped. He's said he can't see himself being ready by Opening Day, but aside from that prognosis he has no timetables. "We have to take baby steps," he said.

For someone far away from playing any actual baseball, Flores mostly blends in. He practices what he can, like blocking balls in the dirt. He's still feeling hopeful, but frustrated. "This is really a tough situation to be in, 120 percent," Flores said.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 2, 2010; 11:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg's starting point
Next: Bog: Nyjer on ice

Comments

Why is the guy even there? Flores is a long long long way from playing baseball at any level. Are they going to botch his health yet again and have him blow the slow progress he's made?

Posted by: dfh21 | March 2, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The move to acquire Pudge looks a little bit less odd. I think Flores has a bigger problem then we were led to believe

Posted by: Washington-DC-Florist | March 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

They had better prepare Jhonathan Solano and Sean Rooney ... so that they can continue developing Norris et al.

Posted by: periculum | March 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for the guy but I'm starting to elieve this guy won't have much of a significant future for us, and if the team Drs did this they should gone tomorrow

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, Flores is taking a page from the Nick Johnson recovery calendar.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 2, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Flores is only 25; This is the 1st time he's experienced rehab from surgery. Yes, it's tough & it's a letdown emotionally for him that he isn't at the level of fitness of the other players in camp. At least the team still thinks enough of his skills to keep working with him.

Posted by: BinM | March 2, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

so his shoulder is to messed up to throw beyond 90 ft but yet we have him blocking balls in the dirt. They need to sit him down and hold him back, they are encouraging him to come back to quickly.That seems stupid, no wonder why this guy is till injured, his whole situation has been handled terribly.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@Stu27: Think of it as limited, or light duty; He can still work behind the plate (catching bullpens, blocking drills, etc.); He just isn't allowed to throw, keeping him from trying a 'snap' throw to 1B, or a CS throw to 2B. Crawl first, then walk, then run.

Posted by: BinM | March 2, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Stu is right. There is no need at all for the guy to be blocking balls in the dirt right now when he cannot do the next instrinctual move, which is to throw the ball someplace. Having him in camp as a sort of catacher seems to put pressure on the kid to be something he is not. He is not a viable catcher for any club at any level, he is not fighting for any job and he will not be for months. Here he is feeling terrible that he is not progressing fast enough. This rough situation seems to be completely useless.

Posted by: dfh21 | March 2, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Is he taking BP?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. I can see your point, but if it were me, I'd be going bugphque sitting around doing rehab, and probably getting someone to practice with in an uncontrolled situation.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 2, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Nothing good from a rehab standpoint will occur from him blocking balls in the dirt, that wasn't really a deficiency of his in the first place.
The reason I have a problem with this was elaborated upon by me in a previous thread. Putting him in front of his healthy teammates and having him block balls in the dirt does nothing but make him think he should be further along then he is. If he wants to go rehab on his own and push himself to hard then fine, absolutely nothing can be done about that unless you hire the guy a babysitter.
But he is clearly unfit to be competing for a spot, so why is he there? Its placing false hope on him and on the team, acting as if he closer to being a part of this team then he actually is.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 2, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

sorry, i don't agree with those thinking his practicing what he can is a bad thing.

His bad shoulder isn't his catching shoulder, or he'd be able to throw 120ft. So the shoulder holding up his glove to catch a fastball is his completely healthy shoulder. so he's hurting that shoulder how? um, not at all. he's actually strengthening it and conditioning it by doing his work.

the arm of the bad shoulder is just hanging naturally at his side, or tucked in behind his back. I'm no doctor, but where's the stress to the shoulder by letting it hang pretty much naturally? IF he were throwing the ball back to the pitcher, I'd say, NO, let him drop it on the ground and a coach can throw back if needed.

otherwise, he still needs to work and learn with this group of pitchers, they still need to get to know each other, he still have to work on and develop his technique. So that's about all he can do besides conditioning. If I were him I'd be getting a bit cagey if not for being able to some work. All this work lets him get most of his core in shape, and once the shoulder is good again, it'll take a lot less work for him to get back to playing everyday.

Posted by: Rogueone | March 2, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@sec3(sofa): And that would probably be the option to not having him in camp - "You might as well head home; Here's a list of recommended drills/exersises to help your shoulder - Try to get in 2-3 hours of rehab per day; We'll check back in with you in April to see how it's going."

Granted, that's an absolute worst-case above, so it's way better that he's in an environment where the team trainers & doctor are with him daily, imo.

Posted by: BinM | March 2, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Take your time Flores, don't push yourself! We don't want to have to rely on an overpaid, overage, and overhyped catcher for too long. Let it heal properly please!

Posted by: futbolclif | March 2, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Only two more days until the first Grapefruit League game. Maybe by the Spring Equinox, the team will be able to start sorting the 'wheat from the chaff' & give us a better feel for who might be a part of the 2010 squad. Right now, I'm feeling somewhere between 72-76 wins.

Posted by: BinM | March 2, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm smelling .500 ball this year. could be as bad as only 70 wins with some bad luck, which we've had plenty enough of, but also could be a couple wins over .500 with some good luck.

For me, Morgan is the key to the season. I trust his hand is healed? Haven't noticed any comments or updates on his status, guess I need to pay more attention since camp is started :) But for my money, Morgan is key. His defense changes everything, and his speed on the bases opens up things soooo much for zimm and dunn.

Better pitching is great, but being able to put pressure on the other team's pitchers helps our better pitching by giving them more support. looking forward to an enjoyable year, and building for the playoffs next year!!

Posted by: Rogueone | March 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind the way he got hurt, off a foul tip play that was rather strange. Strange things happen all the time, if I read on here in a day or two how he needs to get more surgery cause a dirt ball blocking drill went wrong im gonna be pissed.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether anything Flores is doing is risky, but does any of us know if he wants to be there? If I were he, I think I wd want to be. My guess is that it wd be better for morale to be around teammates as the season approaches.

Posted by: Section109 | March 2, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Rodriguez is here for 2010, no reason to rush Flores back.

This team has lost enough players to debilitating injuries since 2006:

Patterson
Hill
J. Zimmermann
Chico

Hopefully he can rehab and get time at AAA and then come back for spring 2011 to the parent club.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 2, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Rizzo is keeping Jesus close at hand and bending over backwards to keep him in the mix. Can you say "medical malpractice?"

Let's see, 10 year career at $5 million per season totally blown by a hasty diagnosis made from an x-ray and not an MRI.

Can't you see the sharks circling? This will not end pretty.

Posted by: howjensen | March 3, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse