Adam Dunn misses game because of back stiffness

Despite being scratched from today's game, Adam Dunn is fine and plans to play Friday. Before the Nationals' 11-2 loss to the Houston Astros today, Dunn took batting practice and fielded groundballs. His name was on the lineup card. But when his turn came up in the top of the first, Chris Duncan walked to the plate.

On Tuesday, Dunn had left in the second inning because of back spasms. He wanted to "give it a whirl" today, he said. But once he sat down after warming up, his back stiffened up.

"Hitting was OK," Dunn said. "It wasn't as bad as what I thought. It's just when I was sitting down, it still kind of hurt. I'll get the off day [Thursday], so I'll be in on Friday."

Although he "couldn't get off the training table" for 45 minutes after hurting himself Tuesday, Dunn said he felt fine walking around yesterday.

"As long as I'm standing up moving, it's fine," Dunn said. "Sitting down [stinks]. If this wasn't March 17, if it was April 17, I'd play. I still would have come out yesterday, though."

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 17, 2010; 5:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates: Nationals at Astros
Next: A rough one for Jason Marquis, and others

Comments

Adam -- there's a near consensus online that the Nats press corps missed the real dukes story - well, did u?

Posted by: swanni | March 17, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the real story has been sufficiently hinted at, and mgmt and players are too decent to bluntly tell the story: The team doesn't want Dukes around. Not in the majors, not in the minors. We do not want him here or there, we do not want him anywhere. (apologies to Ted Geisel)

And they couldn't get a bag of balls for him. That tells you something.

Posted by: hats4bats | March 17, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes but -- if it wasn't one incident, why now and not november when they could have pursued a free agent RF

Posted by: swanni | March 17, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"And they couldn't get a bag of balls for him. That tells you something."

Yeah, why would you trade for someone that the GM is clearly going to release and you can get for virtually free?

Posted by: Section506 | March 17, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Some serious FO decisions made over the last 48 hours - We'll see how it plays out, but it's a shame that they felt like it was better to cut bait than to stay with Dukes. I wish him well & good fortunes going forward.

A while back, I hedged on my 25-man roster call & sort of promised it on St. Patrick's day - Well, here it is (if anybody still cares).
- Lineup -
CF- Morgan
SS- Guzman
3B- RZim
1B- Dunn
LF- Willingham
2B- Kennedy
RF- Morse
CA- IRod
- Bench -
Nieves(CA), Harris(UT), Bruntlett(IF), Bernadina(OF), Mench(OF-PH), Maxwell(OF).
- Starting pitchers -
Lannan(L), Marquis(R), Mock(R), Livo(R).
- Bullpen -
Stammen(R), Bergmann(R), Slaten(L), Clippard(R), Burnett(L), Capps(R), Bruney(R).

I still feel a trade is in the wind, so things might be subject to change.

Posted by: BinM | March 17, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the reason Rizzo couldn't get anything for Dukes is that he's so clearly telegraphed his preference for mediocre-but-solid players over the high-risk/high-reward cases. They watched as Neil Huntington fleeced him last summer for two frustrating high-upside players (Milledge and Hanrahan), and so they gambled that he would just dump the guy. They were right.

Dukes will surface somewhere and predictably make Rizzo look like an idiot.

Posted by: B2O2 | March 17, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Fleeced?? YGBFKM.
If that's an offer of a friendly wager, I want in.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 17, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B2O2 | March 17, 2010 6:57 PM
___________________________________________

Dude....Step AWAY from the bong...

Posted by: TimDz | March 17, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse