Adam Dunn leaves with back spasm, considered day-to-day

First baseman Adam Dunn left the Nationals split-squad game against the Marlins today with a back spasm. The Nationals classified him as day-to-day. With an off day Thursday, it's a good bet the Nationals will simply let Dunn rest until at least Friday.

UPDATED, 4:30: Dunn told reporters he felt a cramp in his back as he reached for a groundball and he wants to play tomorrow. Asked how long he'll be out, Dunn asked what time the game in Kissimmee starts tomorrow.

But "with Thursday being off, I would doubt that he would play tomorrow," Manager Jim Riggleman said. Either way, Dunn's ailment appears to be a non-issue.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 16, 2010; 2:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates: Nationals at Cardinals
Next: Michael Burgess's lost weight and Destin Hood's lost title

Comments

How long before Morgan's hammy and Dunn's spasms are discovered to be a broken leg and complete paralysis, respectively?

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 16, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Feel better, Dunner.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

JohninMpls, if he's only paralyzed below the waist, it's not a big deal. It's not like it would affect his fielding any...

Posted by: baltova1 | March 16, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Day to day, just like the rest of us

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KGG769 | March 16, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wait, aren't we supposed to say "welcome to the 60 day DL?"

Posted by: swang30 | March 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

OMG! The Nats are actually leading after 6 innings! This is too much for my ulcers!

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope they pulled out the ol X-RAY machine to properly diagnose this one.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"He would be a perfect DH trade him and his big contract to the A.L. for a better team player without the huge ego."

KGG: Could not disagree more. Dunner is reputed to be great team mate who does whatever asked of him (including switching positions with zero training in the middle of the season). He was also one of the few bright spots last year. His protection of Zimmerman contributed to the latter's fine season as well. And as far as the contract, huge is the contract he will get if the Learners cheap out and don't get him extended before the season starts. For what he brought, he is widely considered to be a steal for the Nats.

Posted by: NatsFly | March 16, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

NatsFly, that was a great response. Not a hint of the incredulity I was about to spew.

Big contract?

Huge ego?

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 16, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"huge ego?"

da|\/|n, i must be reading all of the wrong articles about him! i need to stop reading the ones about what a great teammate he is and start reading the ones about how his ego is getting in the way...

Posted by: sec231 | March 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

In truth, I suspected a troll posting, but could not be silent.

Posted by: NatsFly | March 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Guzman and move on!!! And I read on SI that Rizzo said Strasburg is going to the minors no matter what. This tells me he's thown in the towel already on the season. They'll bring Strasburg up in June to sell some tickets. Don't give me that seasoning crap. He's freekin' ready. It's pointless rooting for this team. I feel sorry that real players like Zimmerman and Dunn have to be here. Keeping Riggleygum shows they're not committed to winning, just to being cheap.

Posted by: billm32 | March 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Y'all *do* that the Nats just won two games, right? Hope that they remembered to tote the cases of bubbly along to Jupiter. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Crud...do "know," rather.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Two wins in one day! Be still my beating heart!

On a more serious note, I listened to the Cards broadcast (since we didn't have one) and even those homers thought we had a good pitching day. Thought I would never type those words...

Posted by: NatsFly | March 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Today's staff line:

18 IP 13H 5R 2ER 2BB 13K

That's more like it.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | March 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Nats are on MLB network's "30 Clubs" tonight, opposite Lost. (how appropriate?)

Posted by: twinbrook | March 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ballgames over, Spring Training Losing Streak over, Nationals Win, thuuuuuuuuu Nationals Win!

Go Crazy folks, Go crazy!

And the ball goes thru Buckners legs, here comes Knight around third and the Mets Win!

There's a long drive, I believe its gonna be..., the Giants win the pennent, the Giants win the pennent.

Bang Zoom go the fire works the "Z" man has done it again, on Opening Day at Nationals Park!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | March 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ha-ha - loved your first post JiM:
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 16, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@Bethesdadangit: Today's staff line:

18 IP 13H 5R 2ER 2BB 13K

That's more like it.

Well, those three unearned runs aren't "more like it." In fact, they're a lot like the same old Nats. 1.5 unearned runs per nine innings works out to 240 unearned runs a season. Walter Johnson couldn't win with that kind of fielding behind him.

Posted by: gilbertbp | March 16, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think you dropped this, Tippy. :-)

I don't BELIEVE what I just saw!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Walter Johnson's only no-hitter wudda been a perfect game, 'cept for an error by Bucky Harris. But, hey, I bet the Big Train won a lot of game when his Nats allowed unearned runs.

Posted by: nats24 | March 16, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

gilbertbp - you're absolutely right, of course. But given the pitching of the last 11 games, I'll take any sign of progress I can get.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | March 16, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

In totally unrelated news...
Tiger Woods will be back to play the Masters!!!!

Will most likely lead to interactions such as:

After completion of practice at Augusta National...

Reporter: How many holes today Tiger?
Tiger: Five
Reporter: But Tiger, you went out on the first and came back on the 18th, you just played FIVE holes?
Tiger: Oh....HOLES...I thought you said Ho's...

Posted by: TimDz | March 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but that was before the two-game win streak. All the saracasm and pessism in me have melted away like the snirt outside my apartment.

-----

Ha-ha - loved your first post JiM

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 16, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

That egomaniac.

(Okay, so not ALL the sarcasm is gone.)

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

hehe, you said "snirt."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I love that word. Seriously.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I was up near Lake Tahoe this weekend and saw a lot of snirt - not so much here in San Jose.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 16, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I remember one year it snowed in the valley when I was growing up there. There was just enough for us to make a snowman. We were thrilled. But snirt? Not hardly. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought donkeys were durable creatures.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 16, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Hee haw, it's Sam Wainwright. Oops, sorry. Lost my train of thought there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 16, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

(I got that reference, 1a.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse