Elijah Dukes scratched with tenderness in left toe

Elijah Dukes had been in the lineup early this morning, but the Nationals scratched him with tendnerness in his left toe as a result of being hit by a pitch last Monday. Dukes is sitting as a precaution because the field at Osceola County Stadium in Kissimmee, Fla. has been saturated by two straight days of rain. Dukes is expected to play tomorrow.

"Nothing serious," Manager Jim Riggleman said. "And he's got the knee issue that goes on sometimes. We just felt like, let's just wait until tomorrow to put him out there and hope that the field dries up by tomorrow."

For today, Justin Maxwell will replace Dukes in rightfield and the seventh slot in the order.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 13, 2010; 11:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup
Next: Cristian Guzman's return, Scott Olsen's start, Stephen Strasburg, part two

Comments

It could get ugly, but it couldn't get uglier. This is a game they need to win.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 13, 2010 12:04 PM

I can't believe you wrote that about a spring training game.

I can't believe that I agree with you.

Posted by: baltova1 | March 13, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Let's see - scratched today "as a precaution".

If this were the regular season, he'd go on the 15-day DL in a week.

Then, in 3 weeks, he'd go to James Andrews "for a precautionary MRI"

A month of rest later, he'll play a game in Harrisburg and leave in the 4th inning.

2 days after that, he'll get Toe-my John surgery, and come back in 2 years.

Posted by: Section406 | March 13, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Riggelman, being friends with Duncan's father, the pitching Coach in St. Louis, would have any influence on the decision? Sure did in St. Louis. The man cannot hit a curveball and no defensive skills, but yet, he was out there everyday playing. I never could understand that.

Posted by: Bowler300 | March 13, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@Bowler300,

Would you prefer Gonzalez as your pinch hitter? Last year they often used Bard as a left handed pinch hitter. Are you going to say that Bard would be better than Duncan?

Clearly Bernadina and Maxwell would be better choices defensively as would Desmond. The problem with the first 2 is that they don't hit ... and Beradina is just back from an injury and has spent no time in the majors. Maxwell was hitting so poorly they sent him back to AAA.

Now we have Morse along with Duncan. Its an improvement on this team.

Posted by: periculum | March 13, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Nationals are back to Wendelstedt's umpiring crew - That leaves me a little unsettled.

Posted by: BinM | March 13, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bowler300 | March 13, 2010 12:41 PM |

-------------------------
Glad you said it!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | March 13, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

And I'm apparently the only one who (really really really) appreciated this one:

"the Nationals scratched him with tendnerness in his left toe"

I mean, come on. Somebody's in the clubhouse, tenderly scratching Elijah Dukes, and nobody cares? I weep for the state of humanity.

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 14, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse