Game time for Nationals

Spring training means different things to different players. Some use it as a tuneup. Some use it as an argument for why they should be on the roster. Some, like Jordan Zimmermann, use it as a means to recover.

For most everyone, today is one of the nicer days of spring. The monotony of workouts starts transforming into agitation. The freshness of coming down to Florida and seeing teammates again has worn off and started turning into an edge. So when games begin, it's nice. The manager and team officials can evaluate with more purpose, the players can actually compete, fans have something concrete to talk about.

"It's kind of stages, you know?" Manager Jim Riggleman said. "It's very exciting to report to camp. It's very exciting when the position players report after that. It's a nice day when the games start. Later, as you get closer to the 25-man roster, the excitement starts to build a little bit toward Opening Day. It's kind of a bunch of stages you go through as far as the adrenaline beginning."

Over the next month, there's going to be plenty to watch, from the bench players to the back end of the rotation to the final spots of the bullpen. Mike Rizzo answered some questions about where the Nationals are. The Nationals got the Big League Stew treatment. Daniel Cabrera plays for the White Sox now, but he's still terrible. (28 pitches and 12 strikes!) In happier ex-Nat news, Chad Cordero pitched in a game for the first time after surgery.

Also, a couple important programming notes: Boz is going to be chatting today at 11 a.m. At 1 p.m., right here on NJ, I'll be doing a chat that will be a mix of taking questions and providing updates from Kissimmee, where one of the Nationals split squad will take on the Astros. The team in Jupiter facing the Marlins will just have to get over it.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 4, 2010; 8:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Checking in with Jack McGeary
Next: Nationals in-game chat

Comments

As always, that's the city, not the planet.
Marlins would have mercury.
badabing.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 4, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I know I saw a full list of all the pitchers who'll get work today - but now I can't find it. Anybody? Thanks.

p.s. Nats baseball hooray!

Posted by: nattaboy | March 4, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

nattaboy, try BG's blog on the MASN site (a few posts back).

Play ball!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Holy cow sec3, that one went right past me. Not sure I even saw it. After I got back to the bench, I looked at the video replay and figured out why you froze me. Good stuff.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 4, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Baseball today, awesome.
Box scores tomorrow, more awesome.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

From the yahoo article:
3. Which free agent signing did you like the most? I could end up getting slapped in the face by Wang's performance...

I know someone on this board called for a moratoriam on Wang jokes, but...

One can only imagine how out of control this may get as the year progresses.

Posted by: TimDz | March 4, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I love the smell of box scores in the morning...

(Sunderland, yeah, that one went right by me, too. Jupiter, no problem, but the Mercury part...I got nothing.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

LOL, TimDz!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What are you guys, 12?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 4, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Classic.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Sec3: Thanks for posting that one, it was my all time favorite.
Don't know if I'd be able to hold it together if Fukudome comes up to the plate to hit against Wang.

Posted by: TimDz | March 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

....could bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "Chin Music..."

Posted by: TimDz | March 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse