J.D. Martin will pitch Thursday

Before this morning, J.D. Martin didn't know if or when he'd be pitching in another major league game this spring. The Nationals maintained that Martin remained in the competition for a final starting rotation spot, but every time Martin checked the schedule, he couldn't find his name.

That changed today. Martin was told he'll pitch Thursday, perhaps as a starter against a Detroit Tigers split squad. Only two of Martin's four outings this spring have come in big league games, the other two coming in minor league intrasquad games. In his five major league innings, Martin has allowed two runs on three hits, striking out three and walking none.

"I'm happy to still be here," Martin said. "I wasn't sure if I was going to get that opportunity. I'm pretty happy about finding that out. I'm going to get ready to go."

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 24, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The shortstop competition continues, Luis Atilano is sticking around, and morning links
Next: 'No decision has been made' on Nationals shortstops

Comments

Interesting that Martin getting scheduled seems to directly correspond with Olsen's performance last night. Factor in Marquis poor performance this spring and perhaps you get an Atilano still around.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see the rotation as follows to start the season:

Lannan
Marquis
Stammen
Mock
Martin

Send Olsen to Triple A to build up his arm strength, and Livan as well presuming he would report as insurance in case one of the young guys falters.

Posted by: slopitchtom | March 24, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good chance toshowcase for other teams to take a look at JD maybe to package him with some other young talent for a legit RF? Any word as to if he will face the Tigers regulars or their B team?

Posted by: markfd | March 24, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

slopitchtom, I think Livan's either on the big league roster or he's gone. If it were up to me, I'd go with Lannan, Marquis, Livan, Stammen and (start cheering, periculum) Martin.

Actually, if it were up to me, I'd sign Jared Washburn, and stick him in there in place of Mock.

Of course, I'd also sign Jermaine Dye and play him in RF.

But last time I checked, Stan Kasten isn't calling for my opinion. His loss.

Posted by: baltova1 | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Baltova1, I would agree in that Mock's my least favourite of the 5 I listed but I'd rather see what he's got when the bell rings to start the season. We know what Livan will give us, but to your point, not sure if it's feasible to send Livan to the minors. Depends how bad he wants to pitch cause I don't think anyone else will pick him up.

Posted by: slopitchtom | March 24, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I really like Martin ... I like rooting for him ... but then I am used to rooting for baseball teams that seem to always reside in or close to last place. I like guys who won't take no for an answer and keep on coming as he has after his injury. Its inspiring to see ...

But honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation that had Strasburg, Lannan, Thompson, Detwiler, Mock and Stammen ...

I'd sign Rod Carew, or Strasburg's college coach before Dye. Have to figure Rizzo has something up his sleeve in terms of a trade I guess.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I think Livan signed a minor league contract. And he does seem like the kind of guy you'd hire after his playing days are over. And that Nats do have a good number of "soft tosser" young pitchers he could help.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

This spells the end of Olsen

Posted by: JayBeee | March 24, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget to check AK's twitter feed. Seems young Mr. Strasburg is enjoying his competition against fellow minor leaguers.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | March 24, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see the rotation as follows to start the season:

Lannan
Marquis
Stammen
Mock
Martin

Posted by: slopitchtom
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree with you. With Olsen showing he isn't ready, I think the 4 other spots are locked with

Lannan
Marquis
Mock
Stammen
?????

I just don't see a reason to give the ball to Livan Hernandez. He hasn't shown anything spectacular so I would rather see one of the young guys take the spot in real big league action. JD Martin proved at the end of last year that he can hold his own.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 24, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

JayBee, exactly what I was thinking -- the end of Olsen in the rotation. But he did get up to 91 (albeit once) so he might not get DFA'd. Of course I'm not so sure the Lerner's want to spend $1M on a pitcher that probably won't work out.

Posted by: Nataholic | March 24, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Have to figure Rizzo has something up his sleeve in terms of a trade I guess.

Posted by: periculum
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would have thought so if Maxwell, CDuncan, and Bernadina had great Spring Training outings.

The only trade he could make that would get any other team excited is Willingham or a young starting pitcher.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 24, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I meant released not DFA'd.

Posted by: Nataholic | March 24, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

And of course I jinxed it.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | March 24, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think Boz summarized Livan pretty well: he pitches fine two out of three starts and then gets pummeled the other time. Compared to our other options, that makes him Roy Halladay.

Posted by: baltova1 | March 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The top four in the roataion might be pretty well set - Lannan, Marquis, Mock & Stammen (but for some reason, Mock still makes me nervious). JD & Livan are each trying to secure that 5th spot, if Riggleman goes north with 12 pitchers.

There's an outside chance that the team only carries 11 pitchers for the first two weeks - If that happens, both JD & Livan go to SYR. Livo probably has an "opt-out" clause in his minor-league deal, so if he doesn't get the 1st call-up, he walks away.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I am interested to see what they decide to do with Olsen. Will they option him and pay him his 1 million? Or will they release him to save the money. It could go either way.

I can't see them not sending him down to the minors work on strengthen himself and improving his pitching repertoire. He is left-handed, while Wang who may have similar if not worst problems is right handed. And they are paying him 2 million I guess.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Whose turn would it have been otherwise, Thursday, if Martin weren't starting?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

And suppose, for the sake of argument, Martin pitches very well indeed tomorrow.

That means Lannan, Marquis, Hernandez (he's in; you know he's in; you knew he was in when they hired him), Mock, and if they bring 5, either Stammen or Martin. Until someone (else) gets hurt or chronically pounded, at which point the other of the latter two comes up. That is, comes down, from Syracuse. The one who went north, and kept going. You know, Guildenstern.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Periculum, I guess it hinges on whether Rizzo is tired of watching him. Seems to be the barometer.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 24, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Just a gut feeling but if Olsen doesn't do any better in his next start, they'll release him. Otherwise, they play him for a full year's salary, which they wouldn't have to do if they cut him in March (if I remember Adam's info from yesterday).

Once the season starts, if everything goes according to the plan, the first lefty to get a call up would be Detwiler, once he's healthy. The next spot in the rotation goes to Strasburg and eventually Wang would get a call. That would squeeze out Olsen.

Of course, that's according to the plan. And we know nothing could go wrong with the plan? Right? Right?

Posted by: baltova1 | March 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg.

Whose turn would it have been otherwise, Thursday, if Martin weren't starting?
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 24, 2010 12:19 PM

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Then Livan is starting the other game?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 24, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind the reason Olsen was a good acquisition wasnt due to him being overly talented. We got him becuas he was a young but proven innings eater, 3 straight years with 30 starts.
After these drawn out injuries i just do not see him getting back to that type of innings production. And if that is the case then there is little upside to keeping him.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Except I am hopeful that we see Thompson and Detwiler. If Olsen can't make it I'm not sure I would put any money on Wang. But the news about JZimm sounds hopeful.

If the gods are smiling, then, perhaps we will see Thompson, Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, and Strasburg pitching in those hot and muggy August days.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Sec3:
No, Livo starts tonight against the Yankees. If Riggleman follows script, Mock starts on the 26th, with the 27th games being handled by Lannan, Marquis or Stammen, the way I read it.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1
------------------------------

Pretty well? This team needs guys who can dominate on the mound just a so-so guy who will take the ball every 5 days.

To me, putting Livan out there is like being satisfied with the status quo.

Frankly, it pi$$e$ me off.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Oops, make that Lannan on the 26th, and Mock, Marquis or Stamman on the 27th; bad math.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

There are several of you on this blog who respond to almost every one of these blogs on this site. All of you are baseball-savvy and quite knowledgeable, but dont any of you work? I get it - maybe you are all just D.C. lawyers who are supposed to be working!! I would have said big business types, but we're talking Nats fans, not Yankees fans here.

Posted by: hersheyman | March 24, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of decisions about players (okay, you weren't exactly speaking of that, but I'm trying to segue here, okay?), I just stumbled on a new P-Nats blog. It's penned (typed?) by the new voice of the P-Nats, Will Flemming, and his most recent piece features a talk with Doug Harris regarding player development.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you want a link with that? Geez, you people are demanding... :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I'm independently wealthy. That, or I work for myself. (I'm gonna go with door number two.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Forget the Nats getting Washburn. This from today's Seattle paper.

"Washburn said earlier in the offseason that he was interested in pitching for the Minnesota Twins or the Mariners. The Twins offered him $5 million for the upcoming season, but he turned it down. His agent, Scott Boras, said Washburn was looking for a contract closer to $6 million."

No way the Nats are going to pay him $5-6 million.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | March 24, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse