Jesus Flores back with Nationals, vows return this season

Certain he will play this season and vowing patience to heal his surgically repaired shoulder, catcher Jesus Flores returned to the Washington Nationals on Tuesday morning after undergoing physical therapy from orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

After spending 12 days with Dr. Andrews, Flores's familiar, smiling face walked into the clubhouse at about 8:45 this morning. The trip, made at general manager Mike Rizzo's behest, assured Flores his battered shoulder will heal in time for him to play this season, even though he has no timetable for a return.

"When something like that happens to you, you're always nervous and concerned about what's going on," Flores said. "But after I was there and the way they were talking to me and we were working, it's just some part of your life where you have to be strong mentally. You could change everything, you know? Now, I really figured out that this is not a big deal. I can get through it. That's what I'm doing now. I'm being positive and working hard. As soon as I get 100 percent, I'll be back."

When Flores arrived in Birmingham, Andrews and his team ran tests to determine if Flores had experienced further structural damage since Sept. 16, when Andrews performed SLAP (superior labrum from anterior to posterior) surgery to repair a torn labrum. They discovered nothing more alarming than some inflammation.

"They did a lot of stuff where they were looking for any other issues," Flores said. "They were happy nothing else was new. Everything is fine now."

Even with the upbeat diagnosis, Flores will start back at square one in his rehab to return to baseball activities. When he left the Nationals, he could throw as far as 120 feet and was hoping to soon start taking swings with a bat. His only aim for now is to continue to strengthen his shoulder, and he will not restart his throwing program until he feels 100 percent.

"We already before tried to set up a date, and it never worked out," Flores said. "Right now, we're going to be really patient and just letting the injury heal by its time. We just want to wait and see how it goes. When we are 100-percent sure, we will set a date."

Flores, of course, will begin the season on the disabled list. Aside from that, he has not planned for how to proceed this season except for one thing. He believes with certainty he'll play this year.

"Right now, I'm learning from this to be a patient guy," Flores said. "Not everything can be at the time that you want. Whenever I get ready to be back on the field, I will play 100 percent. And I know this year, I'll be playing with the guys."

In Alabama, Flores received treatment and rehabbed twice a day. The therapy, Flores said, included an ultrasound machine, resistance exercises and several other techniques. The Nationals sent Flores to Dr. Andrews so he could receive more specialized and intense care. "It really helped me a lot," Flores said.

Not 20 minutes after he entered the clubhouse this morning, Flores had mummified his shoulder with bandages and ice. Flores left the Nationals concerned, and he returned encouraged.

"I'm very positive," he said. "At least I know I'll be there playing with the guys."

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 23, 2010; 10:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Olsen's big day
Next: New arrest in steroids case (updated)

Comments

Fingers firmly crossed. Good to hear that he's at least in better spirits.

Posted by: Section220 | March 23, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope he recovers fully. I'm a bit skeptical though as it seems everything is always positive in these types of issues and then boom.

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 23, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Repost:

BinM, other sages:

Since the Nats were the worst team last year (and heck, the worst in ST, as if that mattered), do they get the first shot at Chad Gaudin? It seems a logical thing for the Nats to pick him up.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 23, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Great news to not hear bad news.

And, for all the Chapman fans, he had back problems yesterday.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 23, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

repost to +1/2St.

+1/2St: It would depend on whether he was DFA'd or unconditionally released. If Gaudin was DFA'd, I think all AL teams have a shot at him first; If it was an unconditional release, he's a free-agent.
Posted by: BinM | March 23, 2010 10:53 AM

Posted by: BinM | March 23, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

We'll continue to pray for Jesus. I wonder if they will look at moving him to 1B when he starts his rehab.

As to Olsen, I'd like to see him start the season in Syracuse. He is still young enough, potentially good enough, and left-handed enough to keep around. Plus, he is pitching well right now in terms of location. Give him six to eight weeks in AAA ball to work on getting his velocity back.

It is not like we are going to win the pennant in April.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 23, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

God speed Jesus!!

Posted by: FloresFan | March 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

What ABOUT BRAD HAWPE FOR RF ?????

Accoridng to the rotowire

" Hawpe has gotten off to a slow start this spring, while Seth Smith, (the other option in right for Colorado), has continued to rise in value. It seems safe at this point to assume Hawpe will own the starting job in right field out of the gate, but 'for how long?' is another question entirely."

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Get Well Soon Mr. F. We miss ya. (But don't rush!)

Posted by: dovelevine | March 23, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, have you been smoking that crazy stuff? You won't be back. Anyway, while you were gone, SS has taken over your name. Oops, wrong Jesus!!!!

Go Nats! Go Rodriguez!!

Posted by: Pete433 | March 23, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Need some time in the minors first JF. Probably a good year unfortunately. But if you are persist you will make it back.

Begs the question: who is catching in Harrisburg this season? Just Sean Rooney or might Norris end up there as well?

Posted by: periculum | March 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

BinM-

Thanks. We might hope he was unconditionally relesaed, then, if Rizzo is interested, so that he has a chance to make a case. If all AL teams get a shot first, it might be tougher.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 23, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Jesus Flores back with Nationals, vows return this season"

Who is he? Nick Johnson? Please. Hurry up, heal, and get back out there. You don't hear Pudge complaining and he has 100-year old knees.

Posted by: dclifer97 | March 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes with your recovery, Jesus.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Gaudin has to clear waivers. We only get a shot if no AL team claims him.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Hawpe has gotten off to a slow start this spring"

Hawpe is a notorious slow-starter, btw.

Posted by: dclifer97 | March 23, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hawpe, 30, would be a one-year rental (unless they re-signed him), but not an exorbitant one at $7.5MM.
Smith is 26. It would be like the Rockies to go younger if they can, IIRC.

(excerpted from Cot's)
Brad Hawpe OF
* 3 years/$17.425M (2008-10), plus 2011 club option
o 08:$3.925M, 09:$5.5M, 10:$7.5M, 11:$10M club option ($0.5M buyout)
o if traded, Hawpe may void 2011 club option
* agent: Dan Horwits
* ML service: 5.058

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

That said, he's about as bad out there as Dunn. So thanks, but no thanks.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 23, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The Ghost of Moonlight Graham discusses him as a trade candidate, and mentions five teams: Bosox, Mets, Cubs, Braves, Royals.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Peri, I figured you of all people would be down with Petitio Principii...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 23, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Jesus, hopefully his timing is such that he can come back and catch a few of SS's games before both hit the big leagues.

Posted by: markfd | March 23, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

This Capitals update involves the Nationals (and steroids!) - check out CI:

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 23, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Sec3mysofa

Defense aside...for this year, I would rather have Hawpes .903 ops, 25 hr power and .280 ba then Will Harris's crappy - 235 ba, .757 ops, and 7 hr's.

And Hawpe isnt a pure coors field player either... according to his total career home/away stats ..his production is pretty much event.

I hope u read that, because I spent way to much time at work looking it up.

Also on another note in response to someone's previous comment, I would argue that the Pirates Rotation is the worst in baseball.

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 23, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll bite: why would you rather have a guy who will give away far more than he brings in, esp. on a defensively-challenged-already team?
Yes, I did, btw--I don't doubt his production (I have good reason to remember it--it was his home run last year that got me COMPLETELY UNREASONABLY 86'd), I'm sure he'd repeat that here. I just think he's not good enough to make up for his worst-in-baseball (including Ponce de Leon 30+, but not 48+) fielding. And if Dunn doesn't become at least a half-assed first baseman, I'm not so sure about him.
********

I hope u read that, because I spent way to much time at work looking it up.

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 23, 2010 3:15 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 23, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Screw Defence..you ever hear of the Maginot line eh? Didnt work!!!!!

Give US Hawpe!!! (or someone not named Harris, Maxwell,Bernadina, Taveras or Morse)

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 23, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse