Nationals-Astros game canceled

Not much else to add yet. The game today has been rained out, and it will not be made up. Once we talk to Jim Riggleman and get an idea of any re-worked pitching schedules and such, I'll include it in this post.

12:50: The Nationals aren't going to change anything with their pitching schedule because John Lannan and Craig Stammen, who were both going to throw three or four innings today, will throw simulated games in the cages. So tomorrow will be Jason Marquis and Matt Chico against the Yankees, unless the rain forces another cancellation and the Natonals have to figure all of this out again.

In the meantime, hitters will stay and use the batting cages. Jim Riggleman called a quick team meeting to go over signs. Basically, they're trying to make use of the day other than eating the spread of Popeye's fried chicken.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 11, 2010; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg's next start will be Sunday
Next: Stephen Strasburg's spring education

Comments

Reminds me of Bull Durham when they needed a rain out to get out of their slump...Nats need a rain out and it's only ST.

Posted by: MBUSA | March 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, might want to check that sprinkler system...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info on plans for the day. I was wondering what they do when the game is rained out. Seriously.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey! We didn't lose! Things are looking up...

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 11, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Come on AK. Who's eating spicy, who's eating mild?
The fans want to know.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 11, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Any onion rings??

Posted by: cokedispatch | March 11, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding, cokedispatch? Onion rings with Popeye's chicken is mandatory. I'd be worried about anybody who didn't have some rings.

Posted by: baltova1 | March 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

God I love Popeye's. Have to have some bisquits w/honey too.

This rain b.s. reminds me of all last summer for the Nats - it had to be a record the number of times they had rain delays or were rained out all-together. Even the only game I've ever been to at Nat's park was rained out - and it was a make up game! (vs. Cards in late July)

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Onion rings are the only kind of rings these Nationals are going to get anytime soon.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Would be nice if I knew how to spell those delicious biscuits :)

Posted by: PattyinSJ | March 11, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What? You were out here and didn't tell us, Patty? Well then, you'll just have to come out again, that's all. And let us know when you do.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Q: Hey, I lost my ring. You seen it?

A: Nah, but if I find it, I'll give you a ring.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Q: Hey, I lost my ring. You seen it?

A: Nah, but if I find it, I'll give you a ring.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 11, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Aaack! That absolutely, positively did not post the first time. It certainly was not worth posting twice. I'm going back under my rock.

Posted by: BobLHead | March 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Eh, the interface is just quirky today, BobL. No need to go under any rocks.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

So hard to keep up with the speed of posts these days...my irrelevance is deepening.

However, I'm glad they came to quick resolution on Everyday Eddie. I suspect neither Vilone or Slaten makes the cut either, but I do like Vilone and think he was stabilizing in more than one way last year. Yes, his performance - especially early - was strong, but his bullpen presence apparently also provided a good role model for others. I hope he can earn a spot this year.

As for Walker, two appearances is too early to give up on someone with his recent history. I'm glad he was not an early cut and hope he figures it out quickly. He has to earn his spot too, but his resume suggests he can still be useful.

The next cuts should be more interesting.

Posted by: natbiscuits | March 11, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I'llllllll top that!

What do you call a sailor who crosses the ocean twice without taking a bath?

A dirty double crosser.

We'll take this time to remember a DC legend, Root Boy Slim who once told da meat hook: "Dare to be fat, fat is where its at."

Posted by: periculum | March 11, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@natbiscuits,

I find it helpful to look at Brian's predictions about the roster makeups over on the NFA site. Supported by folks over on nationalsprospects.com.

I think you have to look at this particular spring training as one in which Mike Rizzo, his staff, Riggleman, and all the minor league managers and coaches are building multiple rosters. A large focus is on the Syracuse roster as immediate depth for the major league club. After that Harrisburg and Potomac. The lower rungs look like they are being set now separately with players who have arrived at minor league camp.

Vilone and Slaten probably will end up at Syracuse initially. Given the Nats record when it comes to injuries doubtless they will be called up soon enough.

Posted by: periculum | March 11, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not sold on McCatty so keeping Vilone around seems like a smart coaching move by Riggleman.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | March 11, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that they released Eddie early - that they picked him up as "inventory" and saw they didn't need him after all. Looks smart.

Didn't Root Boy Slim do "Christmas at K-Mart"? Or was it Rev. Billy C. Wirtz?

Posted by: utec | March 11, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse