Nats sign MacDougal

The Nationals have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Mike MacDougal on a minor league deal with a big-league spring training invitation.

MacDougal, who has 70 career saves, was released by Florida on Tuesday morning.

Adam Kilgore will have more details soon.

By Alexa Steele  |  March 24, 2010; 5:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'No decision has been made' on Nationals shortstops
Next: More on Mike MacDougal, plus lineups

Comments

Owie!
Thank you sir, may I have more?
Owie!
Thank you sir, may I have more?
Owie!
Thank you sir, another 100 loss year coming up.

Posted by: swang30 | March 24, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

As long as he's not coming here to be our closer, I'm ok with it.

Dude almost gave me a heart attack everytime he came out to close a game last season.

Posted by: FloresFan | March 24, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOOOOW! With the available free agent pitchers out there this off season we were able to get the likes of Jason Marquis, Tyler Walker, Eddie Guardado, and Mike McDougal.

WHY?!?!? WHY do I subject myself to such torture?!?!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | March 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I want to hear the spin on this.

Posted by: KenNat | March 24, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

WHAT! Is this just a pity signing? The 2010 version of Mike MacDougal is simply a repeat of the 2009 signing of Logan Kensing, imo. If he gets anywhere near the 25-man roster, all is lost.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Have to admit that I wasn't expecting that.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

swang30:

If you want the correct quote, I believe it's "Ung- Thank you, sir! May I have another?" (National Lampoon's Animal House - 1978)

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Red flag! - Rizzo is showing signs of drifting back and re-signing players from his past that show no future promise.

WARNING - WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Posted by: tgerbracht | March 24, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Although I suspect that the phrase may predate Animal House.

Upon reflection, I really don't mind this move. It's just a minor league contract, right? And he did get a fair number of saves for us, which hadn't been the case with our 2009 closer(s) to that point. Maybe Pudge will have more success than others with corralling those WPs. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Mac wasn't a lights out closer, but he wasn't a bad reliever. If he pitches at least as well as he did last year, he's better than some of the other stiffs we've seen this preseason who were brought in to replace him.

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

minor league deal..he will be in triple a at the season start...ads some depth just in case...

unless they are in the makings of trade for a RF..involving one of BP guys or something crazy.

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 24, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I see no reason to sign more relievers based on what I've seen on our roster in ST this year (coughs all over keyboard).

Hey, a minor league deal I'll all for it.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 24, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

And then the Professor (StanK) shoots the robot (Rizzo) with a stun-gun, then kicks young Will (Storen) in the head, allowing him to be captured by the evil space-spiders, & substituted with the 'anti-closer', MacDougal. Only through the efforts of the family (Riggleman & the coaching staff), is the plot over-turned, and all things returned to stasis.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I probably watched W-A-Y too much afternoon TV as a kid in the early 60's.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 24, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

1a1:

Earliest direct quote (via IMDB) is from Kevin Bacon getting 'spanked' in his initiation scene from the quoted movie.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

petey:

Look up "Space Family Robinson" under the Television listing on IMDB.com - my references might become clearer.

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

This is why Dukes got nuked...to clear room on the roster for MacDougal.
Brilliant!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | March 24, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he can handle the closer role but his stuff is nasty enough that he might be OK as another reliever. If he doesn't perform he'll be gone. A pretty low risk signing.

Posted by: Natmeister | March 24, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice research, BinM, but I meant in a non-movie context.

---

1a1:

Posted by: BinM | March 24, 2010 6:55 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

p.s. I liked to watch Lost in Space, too. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 24, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse