Rizzo on Nats' play, Strasburg, Dunn, Guzman

Along with addressing Jesus Flores's trip to Birmingham, Mike Rizzo touched on various topics today:

* Rizzo could care less about the Nationals poor spring start. "Spring training is spring training," he said. "We shouldn't even keep score or keep stats, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not concerned whatsoever with our won-loss record or with the performance of our players."

* Rizzo enjoyed watching Stephen Strasburg's debut, but he did -- and nothing he will do -- will change the path set out for Strasburg. "Regardless of what he does in spring training and what he does in the future, it's not going to change my plans," Rizzo said. "It was really good to see how happy he was to be on the mound. That's where he's at home and where he's most comfortable, when he's on the mound."

* Rizzo said there's "no update" on Adam Dunn's contract extension.

* Cristian Guzman is at home with his wife, who is going to give birth soon. Manager Jim Riggleman expects him back soon. As far as his arm strength following October shoulder, the Nationals feel like he's progressing fine. "He has cut loose in his throwing programs," Rizzo said. "He hasn't cut loose in a game yet, because he hasn't had a play that's forced him to cut loose. He's throwing pain-free, which is very good for us. It's a matter of strengthening it. The no-pain is really the happy point for me."

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 10, 2010; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups, pre-game updates
Next: Updates: Nationals at Cardinals

Comments

Got double new-posted:

Yeah the Pudge signing is looking pretty good about now. Whatever you think of him as a mentor, it can't be a bad thing for a veteran backstop to handle a young staff. He'll catch the bulk of the games this year, then perhaps give way to Norris in September, then catch 40 games as a backup in 2011 before riding off into the sunset at age 40.

Sorry it had to come to this for Jesus, though, hopefully he can still have a career.

Does anybody else find it hard to avoid thinking about the Space Ghost whenever Space Coast Stadium is mentioned? Space Ghost Stadium? I think I'm going to go to Spring Training next year wearing a Space Ghost costume:

Why not? The Caps have the Capstronaut, after all, and he got invited up to Ted's box. Anybody wanna suit up as Blip the Monkey and join me?

Posted by: BobLHead | March 10, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that this year, the "Spring Training is Spring Training" mantra doesn't bleed into the "it's April, it's still early" mantra that was robotically spewed during the team's miserable starts the past couple years.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | March 10, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

CiL, I think your attitude would improve markedly if you donned a monkey suit. How about it?

Posted by: BobLHead | March 10, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know from Space Ghost.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 10, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo said..."I'm not concerned whatsoever with our won-loss record or with the performance of our players."

Come on, did he really say that he isn't concerned with the performance of our players????????

Then how do you evaluate?

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 10, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Old Saturday morning cartoon, 1a. Late sixties I believe, but it must have run into the late seventies at least or I wouldn't remember it.

"Spaaaaace Ghooooooooost."

Posted by: BobLHead | March 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"...couldn't care less...."
A professional writer needs to get this correct. Unless, of course, you're perhaps making a comment that Rizzo does indeed care, off the record. I would care.

Posted by: mlantry | March 10, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I continue to be skeptical about Guzman's shoulder. His throw from second yesterday looked like a soft toss. This is the same player who hid an injury in 05 that led to a .200 BA, and hid his foot issues last year. Keep Desmond.

Posted by: jcj5y | March 10, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks, BobL.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 10, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

funny, bobL, cuz i always call it space ghost stadium in my head.

i think space ghost may have had a resurgence on the cartoon network not too long ago, but i never caught it.

and a quick wikipedia search confirms a remake called space ghost coast to coast.

Posted by: sec231 | March 10, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Space Ghost Stadium. Ought to have Greg "Moon Man" Minton throw out the first pitch.

Now if they need a new mascot, or even if we do, one could do worse than The Tick.

(and in NN's absence, I'm gonna allow "could care less" as one of those ironic, "yeah, right" kind of things.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 10, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

But if they go to Sarasota, they get famous old Ed Smith Stadium, which I could NOT stop calling Ed Wood Stadium when I was there. Got the strangest looks from the locals...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 10, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

... where they also have a grocery chain called Sweetbay, which sounded so much like "as-WEEP-ay" from SNL, my wife and I both burst out laughing for no reason that was apparent to the puzzled waitress who was just trying to be helpful on where to shop.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 10, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

See, here's a case where, back in the day, I'd have countered with:

NR Bill Lee: What am I, chopped liver: