Stephen Strasburg's first start will be April 11 in Altoona

Nationals General Manager Mike Rizzo says pitcher Stephen Strasburg will make his minor league debut April 11 in Altoona.

The Nationals announced on March 20 that Strasburg will begin the year in the minor leagues, in Class AA Harrisburg.

His April 11 start is the day that the fifth starter pitches.

Strasburg's last start was March 24 in Viera, facing a collection of Nationals players likely to start the year in Class AA and AAA, He struck out nine and allowed a bloop single, three walks and no runs in 4 1/3 innings. He threw 79 pitches; batters hit two of them into the outfield and swung and missed at 11.

Adam Kilgore will have more details soon.

By Alexa Steele  |  March 29, 2010; 3:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg won't pitch Saturday at Nationals Park
Next: Nationals claim catcher Chris Coste

Comments

Just bought 4 rail seats.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 29, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

You know the rail seats are in the outfield, right? They're the most expensive cause they have private TV, but they are not the closest to the field.

Posted by: cassander | March 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

No, I didn't know that. I'm not too up on Altoona Curves seating charts. I'm a moron. Glad you told me now so I don't get pissed when I'm there.
Still, all good.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I suppose I didn't word that well, but I wanted to warn you since I almost made the same mistake when I bought my April 8th tickets (I guessed wrong, alas). I got my April 11th tickets now, though. Let's just hope for no rain.

Posted by: cassander | March 29, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I bought tickets for all the games Potomac is in Myrtle Beach in April hoping to see SS. Now I'll have to go and watch someone else, drinking enough to still see SS when I look out to the mound.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | March 29, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Cassander, thanks, I understood, and I did go back and buy 4 more diamond seats.
Thanks, glad you brought it up.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 29, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Bought two tickets for the wife and I! Section 110.

Posted by: rew_23 | March 29, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean that he starts in Harrisburg on the following Friday?

Posted by: BergmannonMan | March 29, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope he starts on Friday in Harrisburg. I just bought 2 tickets for that night. Right next to the dugout. 4 rows back!

Posted by: NatsWin | March 29, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

pssst...BergmannonMan...over here...per speculation over on the NI, if SS pitches every fifth day, his starts would project to be:

April 11 at Altoona
April 16 vs New Britain
April 21 vs Reading
April 26 at Reading
May 1 vs Altoona

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 29, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I think there will be a lot of folks interested in SS who make the trip. Altoona is one of those place that you don't really "think" about, but it's not THAT far from here. Just 2:15 from Winchester. We go to Blair County Ballpark once or twice a season, usually to see guys who have been promoted from Lynchburg, although the Hillcats just switched from the Pirates to Reds this year, so there won't be as much of that going on. We're going to be in section 106, over Harrisburg's dugout, for the game on 4-11. If you make the trip, make sure to get a Curve burger, they are really, really good.

Posted by: ValleyCaps | March 29, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I have tickets for June 5 in DC - how's that for speculation?

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | March 29, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the Nats really missed a great PR opportunity by not having him pitch the exhibition against the Bosox.

FRANK 20

Posted by: tradervic1313 | March 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame the schedule didn't work out to have him pitch at Bowie....

Posted by: kevin2504 | March 30, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

agreeing with kevin2504...I am totally bummed he won't pitch at all in Bowie - I'll hope there will be a rainout in Altoona.

Posted by: didnik | March 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Is he going to be with AA the whole time before he's called up, or might he pitch a couple times in Harrisburg and then move to AAA?

Posted by: Hokienautic | March 30, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse