The Nationals are 0-10. Who cares?

The Nationals' losing streak hit a nice, fat round number today with a 7-3 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. It included all the hallmarks of ugly baseball. They walked 11 -- E-L-E-V-E-N -- batters. Ron Villone had an inning ending, 1-2-3 double play in his hands, and he threw it under Jamie Burke's glove and to the backstop.

All spring long, the Nationals have maintained they don't care about the results this spring. Even as their streak drags on, that has not changed.

"I don't really know what the right word is," Riggleman said. "I know I don't feel good about. Any win would be better than what we are. But I still have to keep focused on, as this is a group right now trying to become a team, the individuals in that group, we see bright spots. But, it feels terrible to lose. I don't care what you're doing."

"I know it sounds bad," Dunn said. "But who cares? Really, who cares about wins and losses other than people who open up a box score and say, 'Oop, Nationals lost again.'? As long as we play good for the most part and everybody gets in shape for opening day, that's all that matters.

"If we were running our starting lineup out there every single day and losing like this, I'd be concerned. But this was the first day I was playing with Adam [Kennedy]. Pudge wasn't in there."

Ryan Zimmerman, another primary Nationals leader, concurred.

"I think if we started the regular season 0-10, then it would be" a problem, Zimmerman said. "We don't even really know who's going to be with us, who's not. We're still trying to iron some of that stuff out. All you can do is get ready.

"If we were 10-0, would you say we were going to win the World Series? No. So there you there you go. I don't want to say the fans don't understand. It's nothing against anybody else who's in here. Some of these guys aren't going to be on our team. It's not their fault. If this is our regular team and we start the season 0-10, then it's not good. The biggest thing is everyone stay healthy and we don't lose anybody who is going to be on our team. That's the main focus."

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 14, 2010; 6:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates: Nationals vs. Cardinals
Next: How significant is a bad (or good) spring training?

Comments

No one cares about the record.

Everyone cares about the pitching not being ready for the first two weeks of the season. AND IT'S NOT. Not even close.

So what are the position players mumbling under their breaths, amongst themselves and by themselves>

Posted by: joemktg1 | March 14, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd expected Clip to be ready and Villone to show his 2009 form. What disappointments. SS. Livo and Bruney lived up to expectations.

Posted by: JamesWebster | March 14, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What, me worry?

The culture of losing is so ingrained in this franchise--from the Lerners through StanK onto Rizzo and onto poor Riggs--that nobody can even see the forest for the trees.

The pitching is absolutely horrendous. They're going to go cheap on Stras and send him to the minors to avoid losing him one year early. Lannan is not a No. 1. Marquis is serviceable. Everybody else is crappola. The bullpen could be worse than last year's. Ron Villone still is getting the ball? Oh, god help us...

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | March 14, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the Zimmerman & Dunn. I have high hopes for this team. Those hopes are based on much more then the record of the first 10 games of spring training. We should all relax and enjoy the build up of this team that will imo bless us with many many winning seasons for years to come. We should put our hopes in faith with the very experienced people that are now in place. Let's Go Nats!!!

Posted by: prknguy | March 14, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Be careful prknguy. You have presented a bowl of Wheaties, all these guys will line up to whizz in them....

Yeah - bummer that Tyler Clippard couldn't find the plate today. But ya know what? It doesn't count.

The expansion Mets had five of their first six seasons with 100 losses. Then Tom Seaver came on in 1967. Two years later they won the World Series. Baseball, if anything, does have a tendency to repeat itself. Is SS a TS? Let's hope so....!

Posted by: dand187 | March 14, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Awww dand.....I don't want to piss in anyone's Wheaties, so I'll bite my tongue.

If you have not read Mark Z's latest, please do. A bit of insight, yes. But he'll make you laugh, and we need that today.

I've always like Clippard. Let's hope the wind (and the moon and the stars?) was messin' with him and he gets back on track.

Posted by: Sunderland | March 14, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Sure they don't care. Do Zimmm and Dunn want to answer the same questions tomorrow night when they are 0-11 or do they want to beat Atlanta?

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 14, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

faith is for when you don't believe...

Posted by: a-littlebird-ptolemy | March 14, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey,at least the Nats won the intrasquad game!

Posted by: ramgut | March 14, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Okay--we're losing all our games with plug-in players, retreads, and last-chance Charlies...and that hasn't worked.
So why not play the next 3 games with the team we think will be the final team...and see if we need to panic.
I think it's obvious that we all know who are the "also-rans' so quit pretending someone new will break thru and let's get down to playing serious ball!!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | March 14, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Remember, the Nats will be taking the field on Opening Day looking to extend a 7-game winning streak (counting, of course, the games that actually count)--with an unquestionably much better team. Just chill, people.

Posted by: thelonghaul | March 14, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thelonghaul | March 14, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Judging by the lack of postings, not many people around DC care one way or the other. Way to go Lerners and Kasten!

Posted by: JohnRDC | March 14, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Already making excuses? Zimm I hardly knew ye?

They are done. Very lucky to win 60.Massive overhaul on the horizon .. but the Lerners will continue to be cheap.

Posted by: periculum | March 14, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Remember, the Nats will take the field on Opening Day looking to extend a 7-game winning streak (counting only the games that count, of course)--with an unquestionably better team. Just chill, people.

Posted by: thelonghaul | March 14, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question: what were the spring training records of the Yankees, Phillles, Angels, and Dodgers last year?

I don't know. But I'm waiting for that blog post :)

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | March 15, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

@ inthestreetindustry "Here's a question: what were the spring training records of the Yankees, Philles, Angels, and Dodgers last year?"

here's a supplemental question: how many teams had better spring records than those four?

lethargically awaiting answers cuz gettin' excited 'bout it ain't gonna help none...

Posted by: a-littlebird-ptolemy | March 15, 2010 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Best 5 ST records in 2009:

LAA - (26-8-1)
NYY - (24-10-1)
MIL - (22-10-3)
ATL - (21-12-0)
STL - (19-12-2)

Worst 5 ST records in 2009:

AZ - (11-23)
SD - (10-21-3)
HOU - (12-20-3)
CLE - (12-20-3)
BAL - (13-21)

The Nats were somewhere in the middle at (15-17-2).

It seems like, based on 2009, the spring training records are a pretty good indicator of how good a team will be in the regular season. Not a good sign for the Nats.

Posted by: SpashCity | March 15, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Back to the "Who Cares" department

"Things we are happy to ignore"
Because the NCAA Tournament will occupy just about every discussion in the next three and a half weeks some topics will be shelved. For which we say, thank goodness!

#2 The Washington Nationals..., Um, so how about that new and improved pitching staff, eh? Maybe in a few weeks we'll discover they you even have a couple of wins. And an ERA less then 10.00! Then we'll wonder whether they can carry that "momentum into the season".

John Keim, Washington Examiner 15 Mar 2010

Lerners:Your losing even the most loweest of the lowest fish wrap in town. Whats next StanK!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | March 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, in yesterday's MASN chat, someone anonymously posted a compilation of ST and regular season stats for various teams over the years. If memory serves (which is doesn't always), it was fairly deep into the chat.

Speaking of stats, clicked over to MLB Network last night and they had a graphic on teams who were leaders in SBs for ST. Nats were tied for third with 14. (I think it was NL only but I had to click away before the follow-up - husband wanted to watch some other dopey show. ;-))

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 15, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Crud, neither does my typing:

which "it" doesn't always

---

If memory serves (which is doesn't always), it was fairly deep into the chat.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 15, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Ay-yi-yi.

So, come April 5 -- when the Gnats face the Phillies in six of their first nine games and teams that should be either contenders or .500 teams during their first 43 games -- the guys in red and white suddenly are going to start playing crisp baseball and mowing down batters?

This team still is short on talent and the manager is no great shakes either.

What's the record for consecutively racking up the most losses?

Posted by: MartinZook | March 15, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The Nationals are 0-10. Who cares?

Not me...BECAUSE...I will not waste any money on them anymore

Posted by: dc4life | March 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

In addition to playing our own "with plug-in players, retreads, and last-chance Charlies" - we're playing against teams that are also fielding "plug-in players, retreads, and last-chance Charlies."

Secondly, if I was asked if this team looked "unquestionably better" or very similar to the 2009 Nats, I'd say that this team looks more like the 2009 Nats - and is not "unquestionably better."

Finally, I don't much care about spring records - if the Nats were 10-0 I wouldn't be revving up the bandwagon. And at 0-10, I'm not ready to jump off a bridge. But I'd be a lot better if our run differential wasn't a minus 49 in run differential. Yikes. I'd really like to see this team start to pitch better and play better in the field. But it's starting to look like 2009 all over again.

Posted by: comish4lif | March 15, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse