Tonight's lineup

The Nationals will play the Detroit Tigers tonight at Space Coast Stadium. J.D. Martin will get his chance to make a case for his inclusion in the Nationals rotation, although with the way Craig Stammen and Livan Hernandez pitched in their last time out, he may be swimming upstream there.

Nyjer Morgan will return to the lineup for the first time in more than a week after nursing a minor hamstring strain. They'll face Jeremey Bonderman.

Nationals
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Ian Desmond, SS
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Ivan Rodriguez, C
7. Mike Morse, RF
8. Alberto Gonzalez, 2B
9. Eric Bruntlett, DH
-- J.D. Martin, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 25, 2010; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Looking after Stephen Strasburg and morning links
Next: Jordan Zimmermann makes progress, slowly

Comments

I think he's fairly used to that now.

Posted by: periculum | March 25, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

that is about a close to a regular-season lineup the Nats have trotted out all Spring. Wished Kennedy was in there at second today ...

Posted by: erocks33 | March 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Why are we even bothering with Alberto Gonzalez at this point?

Posted by: MBUSA | March 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Gonzalez is hitting .370. He is a fairly decent fielder at 2nd and shortstop. Better than super willy. If he continues to hit he will be hard to move.

Posted by: periculum | March 25, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Erocks, I agree. I much prefer Desmond starting and he or Kennedy hitting 2nd instead of Guzman.

Posted by: slewis1 | March 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to ask hypothetical. Tell me what you would do.

You are Mike Rizzo, thinking about signing Jermaine Dye.

You have 2 and only 2 options.
1 - Keep Scott Olsen, $1MM plus incentives, and let Dye go.
2 - Release Scott Olsen, and sign Dye for $1MM plus incentives.

Basically, using that $1MM plus incentives, would you rather have Olsen or Dye.

I'm predicting that this basically happens, that we release Olsen and sign Dye (but it will cost more than $1MM plus incentives).

Posted by: Sunderland | March 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

No way they sign Dye, he's too old and getting older. His OPS last year was sub .800 and his UZR150 is below avg in RF.

Better to platoon Willie Harris and Morse or Maxwell and hopefully either Maxwell will develop into an everyday player. A trade down the road is a possibility, but as long as Willingham is in Left Field defense is at least equal is value with offense at Right Field.

Posted by: estuartj | March 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting question, Sunderland. I know whom I'd pick; the short version is that one of the two is younger, and is also a pitcher.

But you asked what I'd do if I were Mike Rizzo. And I really can't answer that: if I were Mike Rizzo, I would have a [large]load of information about how Olsen really looks, and his chances of recovering from the injury. So my decision then might be a lot different.

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 25, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Scooter - Olsen might also have future value as a reliever, even if just a LOOGY. Dye is a cleverly disguised corpse of a decent baseball player.

Posted by: estuartj | March 25, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I think they may cut Maxwell...hes been given every opportunity to become a Major League player...and he has proven at every opportunity that he cant hit Major League Hitting.

And Alberto Gonzalez is no good...

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 25, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Major LEague pitching rather

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

J-Max defense makes him a keeper, but not on the 25 unless he turns around with the bat. Is he soon to be the new Langerhans?

Posted by: estuartj | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd keep Olsen despite the fact that I already suggested that we needed to go out and get another bat.

Significantly, Olsen (unlike Patterson and Hill) is making his regular starts. He just not pitching well - but I don't think he is still hurt. I'm just not sure he knows that yet and has unconsciously held himself back a bit. Plus (as has been mentioned already) he is LH and, at the very least he has value in the BP. It is, of course, always easy to spend someone else's million dollars, but I'd keep him around for awhile.

I'd still like to see us add another bat. I'm ambivalent about Dye though.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 25, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the Jermaine Dye add really depends on whether the Nats would really consider playing Desmond in right field.

And Rizzo keeps saying that ID will be an everyday shortstop somewhere. So it sounds like ID in right field with any regularity is not an option.

Would his outfield play be worse than Dukes' was last year? I don't know, but I doubt it.
His fielding must not be THAT bad. In a league with the DH, the last 2 years he played 284 of 291 games in RF.

He was really good in 2008 (.292 / 34 / 96). He slipped in 2009 to .251 / 27 / 81, but he did keep his OBP up at .340.

Could his 2010 be somewhere between those?

Doesn't it seem very possible he could hit .265 with 28 HR's, with an OBP of .340?

Posted by: Sunderland | March 25, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I see a blatant lack of respect in regards to J.D. Martin within the Nats organization. This entire spring, in each and every outing, his pitching has been exceptional, be it in Major League starts or during Minor League inter-squad games. He's not had one bad or close to bad outing, yet he's barely given a chance at landing a spot in the rotation.

Martin has out pitched Garrett Mock each and ever time, yet, because of "one more Major League start" than Martin, Mock gets handed the 3rd spot in the rotation.

The more I see of Riggs, the less I like him. Martin has pitched better than Mock, Stammen, Hernandez, and most definitely pitched better than Olsen and Marquis, who haven't even come close to showing they belong. I feel bad for Martin, who I think is being disrespected and not being given the same chances others have been afforded.

Posted by: KenzAFan | March 25, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Thatz crazy kenz JD Martin really aint that good.

Posted by: Cartaldo | March 26, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse