Updates: Nationals at Marlins

I'll provide periodic updates. ...

4:14: The Nationals won, 9-7. Luis Atilano retired the first out while allowing a double to Mike Stanton. After the double, Jim Riggleman called on lefty Jesse English to finish off the game. He surrendered a bloop single, but struck out Hector Luna and induced a chopper to himself from old friend Emilio Bonifacio. That's English's second save of the spring. The Nationals are now 4-13.

4:03: Tyler Clippard pitcher a second scoreless inning in the eighth, striking out two. The Nationals went in order in their half of the ninth, including a ground out by Justin Maxwell. His average dropped to .111 (4 for 36). Luis Atilano is on to try and close the Marlins, who trail the Nationals 9-7.

3:47: Tyler Clippard pitched a scoreless seventh, and after the Nationals failed to extend their lead in the eighth, he is back out to pitch the eighth.

3:30: The Nationals took a 9-7 lead when Alberto Gonzalez, pinch-hitting for Willie Harris, ripped a two-RBI single to left. Ian Desmond has moved to right field, Mike Morse is playing first, and Tyler Clippard is the new pitcher.

3:24: The Nationals tied up in the seventh against old friend Mike MacDougal, now pitching for the Marlins. Eric Bruntlett and Justin Maxwell led off with consecutive walks. Roger Bernadina followed with a line-drive single to the opposite field, scoring Bruntlett. Pete Orr followed with another walk, chasing MacDougal from the game. The bases are loaded with no outs in the top of the seventh, and it's 7-7.

3:12: The Marlins lead, 7-6. After Jason Bergmann struck out Logan Morrison swinging, Mike Lamb ripped a line-drive double to left off of Roger Berndina's glove. It would have been a difficult catch, but he also nearly made it. Three runs scored. Of the five runs in the sixth, two were earned, although Bermann allowed four hits.

3:05: The Marlins are back in the game after scoring two runs, one unearned. Bergmann allowed three singles sandwiched around an out, and Ian Desmond lost a ball in his glove trying to make a throw after he charged it. Desmond has two errors today, and they have led to two runs. Bermgann then hit Cody Ross. The bases are loaded with one out for the Marlins in the sixth. 6-4, Nationals.

2:57: The Nationals took a commanding lead in the top of the sixth inning when Adam Kennedy drilled a bases-loaded, three-run double down the left field line, scoring Eric Bruntlett (double), Roger Bernadina (walk) and Willie Harris (walk). With John Lannan out of the game (5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 K), Jason Bergmann will protect the Nationals' 6-2 lead.

2:42: John Lannan is through with five innings, and he is likely done for the day. He allowed only a leadoff single in the fifth inning to Cody Ross. Lannan allowed four hits, all singles, and struck out two. He produced nine ground ball outs and only six of the 19 batters he faced hit the ball out of the infield.

The Nationals took a 3-2 lead in the top of the sixth. Ivan Rodriguez led off with single, and Eric Bruntlett followed with a double to left to score him. Justin Maxwell laid down a sacrifice to push Bruntlett to third. With one out in the sixth, the Nationals lead 3-2.

2:05: Ian Desmond tied it with his second run of the game. He led off the fourth with a double, and with two outs Eric Bruntlett singled to center off of Josh Johnson to score Desmond. Bruntlett stole second, but Justin Maxwell struck out to end the inning. Maxwell is now 4 for 35 (.114) this spring. It's 2-2 in the middle of the fourth.

1:53: The Nationals trail 2-1 after three innings. Lannan's streak of six consecutive hitters retired ended when Cody Ross reached on an error by Ian Desmond to lead off the inning. After three singles, none of which were hit particularly hard, the Marlins had pushed across two runs. Lannan got out of the inning by inducing a 6-4-3 double play by Hanley Ramirez.

1:34: John Lannan is perfect after two innings. None of the first six Marlins batters have hit the ball out of the infield -- four ground outs, a pop-up to catcher Ivan Rodriguez and one strikeout of Jorge Cantu. The Nationals went in order in the second and still lead, 1-0.

1:16: The Nationals took a 1-0 lead in the first inning with a two-out rally against Josh Johnson. After ground outs by Willie Harris and Adam Kennedy, Ian Desmond walked. Chris Duncan lined a double to the opposite field, and Desmond scored easily from first.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 21, 2010; 1:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nyjer Morgan scheduled to return Thursday
Next: Quick notes from the Nationals' fourth win

Comments

Can Duncan play RF? I know he isn't good defensively anywhere... but, his left handed bat could potentially be interesting... or maybe not...

Posted by: Ghost7 | March 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Ghost - Duncan in RF is highly unlikely, at best. For the OF, both Harris & Bernadina are LH-hitters, and are more consistent than Duncan at the plate.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

AK: You just had to go & use the 'p'-word, didn't you? Try 'spotless', 'clean', or even 'untouched' next time, OK? And yes, I'm one of those highly superstitious fans.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Great points about Harris and Bernadina, plus I suppose defense would be pretty key when considering who gets the nod out there... and Harris, Bernadina, Morse and Maxwell are all probably better on the defensive end then Duncan... oh well, I guess we won't know who steps up in RF until mid-April at the earliest (if anyone does)...

Posted by: Ghost7 | March 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Harris has never been more than a .250 hitter, at best, who insists on pulling every pitch and hitting it in the air instead on on the ground. Plus he doesn't have the arm for rightfield. I don't look for him to be the answer and I'm pretty sure the Nats' brass has figured this out as well.

Posted by: Sonny9 | March 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon, folks.
Who is this Duncan? Any good?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@Sonny: You're right, Harris isn't the single answer in RF. It looks more like a mash-up of Harris/Morse/Bernadina/Maxwell for the next two weeks, with the top two in a platoon.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Trying this again. You may remember him from the Cards, Nats_Lady (pitching coach's son)?

And, yeah, BinM, I'm one of those superstitious fans, too. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, right. Just trying to get acclimated to the new names.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's particularly rough to keep track in ST, what with all the invites.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Plus I wasn't listening for the first 11 losses. Just got my Gameday audio set up.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@Nats_Lady: Q#1 - Chris Duncan (formerly StL), brother of Shelley Duncan (CLE, formerly NYY), son of Dave Duncan (pitching coach, StL). Q#2 - not really.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Why has Pudge been with so many teams since 2008? Hope not another clubhouse problem.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

TY, BinM. Will start paying attention now.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That's okay. I don't have Game Day so I've only heard/watched a few games.

I don't recall hearing that about Pudge (of course, I don't always recall what I had for dinner last night).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Marlins announcer said he had been with 4 or 5 teams. Charlie and Dave not on today, so have to listen to a bunch of ads for the Marlins new stadium.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I suppose that good seats are still available? :-)

I meant that I hadn't heard anything about clubhouse issues. I believe that Pudge was traded once in '08 (by Detroit) and once in '09 (by Houston).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ha. Stadium doesn't open til 2012 but nothing like planning ahead.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Orr & Bergmann enter the game leading 6-2, and finish the inning training 7-6. Ouch.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Reading the updates above, it sounds like Desmond's second error of the game was a factor in the inning.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Desmond maybe starting to show his true colors - Good hitter, better range than Guzman, but a questionable glove (4E in 70IP at SS).

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait. Wrong inning on that.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

His glove concerns me a bit.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Desmond's glove was an issue when he was up last year, if I recall.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

haha, that's funny. I just posted over on NI that Mikey should give us a few BB's and WP's for old times' sake. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

from your lips....

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

So, we're back to the top of the lineup after the new pitcher comes in?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this is charming. Gonzales forgot who was on base... just charming.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What happened?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Never mind. I found it on NI. I thought you were referring to the Marlins' skipper at first. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

You need to get the audio... It's not that much.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You need to get the audio... It's not that much.
Posted by: Nats_Lady | March 21, 2010 3:40 PM
-------------------
And when it works, it's great. I've had problems when I had multiple links open, FWIW (non-broadband).

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

During the regular season, I watch the games on tv (unless I'm at the park), so I've not been inclined to spring for audio.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

1a, I second Nats Lady on the Gameday Audio package. It's just $20 from this point forward through the postseason and including the entire offseason when you can listen to any 2010 game in archived form. This is a great deal for any rabid fan such as yourself.

p.s. -- BTW, 1a, thanks for having my back earlier this week regarding my post on Adam's sloppy grammar and punctuation. Being a 30+ year proofreader, seeing that inattention to detail by a professional journalist like Adam just rankled me a bit.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | March 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@1a1: What, you'd rather listen to the blather of Crapenter & Dribble than tune into the duo of Slowes & Jaegler? Charlie is a jewel, "Vin Scully - east"; He has the knowledge, a great voice, & is the total package, imo. Unless you have a good radio upstairs with the TV, you need this.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, well... Now you have me pondering. $20 isn't bad, and it's good to know about the postseason and offseason features. Thanks for the info, OldSkool.

As to your other point, I feel your pain. Sometimes it's all I can do not to start marking up my morning paper (well, once in a while I do mark something there, truth be told - dork alert!). I'm not necessarily referring to Nats articles, or even to the Post, because one can find plenty of goofs elsewhere these days. bwahaha, spellchecker - there are still some errors that only the human eye can catch!

We now return you to your regular baseball programming. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I love Charlie and Dave, BinM. As I've noted in the past, my tv is downstairs, several floors away from my (wired) computer. That situation aside, I actually enjoyed listening to Bob and Rob last year. They work well together, IMO.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Yay! The good guys win. See you later.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It was enjoyable listening to a victory while planting tomato seeds. Desmond-mania needs to be subdued, given the number of errors he is still making. In addition, Jason Maxwell apologists are going to have a hard time convincing me at this point.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 21, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Note - Luis Atilano is not going to make the 25-man roster as a reliever, imo. He needs to go down to the minor-league side & stretch out as a starter. Both he & the orginization are better served if that happens soon.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Predicted roster cuts for the week of 3/21- 3/27: Players = Duncan, Orr, Maxwell; Pitchers = Martis, Atilano, Martin.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Predicted roster cuts for the week of 3/21- 3/27:

Players = Gonzalez, Orr, Maxwell;
Pitchers = Martis, Burnett, Olsen (rehab).

Posted by: periculum | March 21, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Wondering if they might not return Daniel and Davis to Harrisburg and put nothing but veterans and "no-longer-prospects" clawing to return to the big leagues in Syracuse.

With nothing but prospects in Harrisburg?

Posted by: periculum | March 21, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Olsen gets 2 more starts, unless they decide his arm is being hurt by pitching. They need to decide by March 31 whether to even keep him for the season.
Agree through that he will not be with the Nat's April 5.

I think Maxwell stays up another week. I would guess Duncan is more likely to go, but who knows what they're thinking.

Is ID going to get more work in RF?
And is that a good idea?

Harrisburg might be the most fun place to watch baseball in April & May, huh?

Posted by: Sunderland | March 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@Sunderland: I've been calling for Desmond as the 'poor-man's' version of Robin Yount (SS, converted to OF) on-and-off for a while. Riggleman might just have the right read on this one - Start Desmond in RF & Guzman at SS, and god help the Nationals.

Posted by: BinM | March 21, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse