Zech Zinicola returned to Nationals

Right-handed reliever Zech Zinicola, taken by the Toronto Blue Jays in the Rule 5 Draft, returned to the Nationals today because of Rule 5 guidelines. The Blue Jays did not choose to carry him on their 40-man roster.

Zinicola, 25, had a 5.33 ERA in 43 games last year between Class AA Harrsburg and Class AAA Syracuse. The Nationals drafted Zinicola in the sixth round in 2006, and he has never pitched in the majors.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 18, 2010; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Everyday Adam Dunn
Next: Stephen Strasburg's likely last start for now and morning links

Comments

Didn't he actually have to stay on the 25 man roster, if the Jays were gonna keep him?

He was lost because he wasn't on the Nats' 40 man. At least that's what I though

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | March 18, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

CNF: He was taken by The Jays in the rule 5 draft and needed to remain with the ML club for the entire year (on the 25 man roster) or had to be offered back to the Nationals for $25K.
It was said that the Jays wanted to arrange a trade so they could keep ZZ, take him off of the 25 man roster and send him to the minors. However, Washington was more interested in getting ZZ back.

In essence, you aren't as clueless as you think, because your assessment was correct.

Posted by: TimDz | March 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

YEAH Now we lead the league in Z's in MLB

Posted by: CBinDC1 | March 18, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

So, actually he is more clueless than he thinks.

Posted by: markfromark | March 18, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So Chico and Olsen pitched in a minor league game today? Wonder how they looked, especially Olsen & his fastball.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | March 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of former Natsters, I tuned in to the final innings of an Astros-Tigers match on MLB Network and saw our old friend Gary Majewski on the mound for Houston. He was down to two outs in the 9th inning of a tie game, but just couldn't get the third. Tigers win! Tigers win! I always liked Tex, though.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Get your Tex story right here:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I like Tex, too. Also like the Astros, for some reason.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 18, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Adam! I know you've only been here a short time, but you HAVE TO spell the names of our players correctly! That's Zinicola, not Zincola!

Being an ex-proofreader, I've noticed some sloppy editing lately. IMO, this detracts from your otherwise excellent writing. I realize you don't have any copy editors, but you should read over your posts before hitting the SEND key.

Despite the critique, keep up the good work. I especially enjoy the use of sabermetrics in your analysis pieces.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | March 18, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Misspellings in a blog post. Now that's a headline.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 18, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

considering we're talking about a 25 yr old who's never sniffed the majors and sported a 5+ ERA at AA/AAA last year, i hope rizzo at least listened to toronto's trade offers and decided none were good enough.

Posted by: DCPowerGator | March 18, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'm sure he didn't DCPowerGator. That's how he became a GM, by ignoring what other clubs have to say...

Can someone please proofread for ridiculousness?

Posted by: dand187 | March 18, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

DCPowerGator-

I am sure that they listened to Toronto, but rational or not, I am really glad they got Zinicola back. I want him to have his breakout year for us, and to join us at Nationals Park.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 18, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

The Killer B's, perhaps. B-G-O. :-)

OldSchool, sa-lute from another proofreader. ;-)

---

Yeah, I like Tex, too. Also like the Astros, for some reason.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 18, 2010 4:39 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Proofreader's karma alert: OldSkool, rather. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Ack. Olsen didn't get above 86 on the radar gun today. I don't care how positive he is about his progress- stick a fork in him. He will be released before long, I am guessing.

That really stinks, because we needed him to come back strong.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | March 18, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

OldSchoolDieHard: In paper edition, that is a fair comment. In blog entries, not so much. More proofreading = less entries. This is a different media than the hard copy, and we need to adjust. While I enjoy Melville, what I want here is baseball, rapidly and often. If that comes with a typo or other error, that is fine with me. These guys are juggling a lot of things to try to give us 24/7 coverage--can we not recognize that and behave accordingly?

Posted by: NatsFly | March 18, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Generally speaking (not specific to this blog), I would opine that errors can have an effect on credibility.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Back to Dukes and the RF situation: I have just read the print edition article about Dukes, and there is no mention about Ian Desmond, who is a definite possibility to fill in the last spot in the lineup, and also no mention of Dukes's problem in the past with keeping up with child support. What's up with that?

Posted by: paulkp | March 18, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@+1/2St: You might have the right call on Olsen - If he's not flirting with 90, he's pretty much done for. I'm just hoping that Marquis gets it turned around, 'cause as of now, he's getting the full baby seal treatment.

Posted by: BinM | March 18, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@paulkp: Regarding Desmond, Rizzo made his preferences known a week or so ago that he wants Desmond playing SS every day, either in DC or SYR. That might account for the 'hush-hush' on him as a RF, for now.

On the Dukes-child support problem, that's old news. It was reported in early 2009 (in ST, I believe), that he was being hit with non-support claims. It apparently was resolved once he started getting paid again.

Posted by: BinM | March 18, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's an update on the Nats' future right fielder, courtesy the Grand Junction (Colo.) Daily Sentinel:

Harper has hit eight of the team’s 18 home runs and only needs five more to tie the individual single-season school record, (Southern Nevada coach Tim) Chambers said.

“The home runs he hits, I can’t believe he would be a junior in high school,” Chambers said. “He hit one over the lights last weekend.”

That’s not all.

Harper, who is hitting .413, has 70 total bases and an .875 slugging percentage. The next closest player has 45 total bases and a .564 slugging percentage.

Posted by: Drew8 | March 18, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, The Syracuse Chiefs should be happy this year - They're getting what promise to be some very good RP's to start the season (Speier, Spradlin, Peralta, Wilkie, Garate, R.Martin, Zinicola, Severino).

Posted by: BinM | March 18, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

@Drew8: Harper might look really good right now, but let's see what shakes out come mid-May. If he's still hitting the bejezus out of the ball, then grab him @#1; If not, there are other options to be considered & scouted thoroughly.

Posted by: BinM | March 18, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't you believe it. The odd typo that doesn't affect content is one thing--lord knows I make my share--but spelling someone's name wrong is a no-no.
Besides, how long can it take to look over a 100-word post?

*****************
Posted by: NatsFly | March 18, 2010 7:04 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I imagine they will be scouting thoroughly in any event, obviously, but I wonder how much difference one month will make for Harper, unless they see something really drastic that they don't like.

*************
Posted by: BinM | March 18, 2010 8:44 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 18, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget season ticket holders, spend your Nats Bucks on a Zech Z Jersey and for those with Red Carpet Certificates trade'em in for tickets in Sept when the Zech will try to help the Nats stave off another 100 loses.

Sorry guys but this news doesn't change a thing!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | March 18, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Anybody want to trade a Dukes Nationals jersey for a Zinicola Toronto jersey?

Posted by: DesertNat | March 18, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe one more reason to bring Storen up early ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | March 18, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Adam,

Though each is entitled to his own opinion, I could care less about the editing and spelling here at NJ.

I don't want to be reading a reflection of the stories that appear in the paper. I want you to talk to us, to have a conversation with the fans who lurk here.

If we start undangling our participles and outlawing contractions, then this ceases to be a blog.

It's the Washington Post sticking its nose into places it doesn't belong.

I've enjoyed your work, Adam. I really hope you are enjoying yourself and feel comfortable now that you're "back home."

Posted by: rushfari | March 19, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

More proofreading = less entries.

Posted by: NatsFly | March 18, 2010 7:04 PM

**************

fewer

;)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 19, 2010 4:08 AM | Report abuse

or her own ;-)

---

Though each is entitled to his own opinion,

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | March 19, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

The male embraces the female, 1a.

Posted by: Scooter_ | March 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the support, 1a1 and Sec3. In my original post, I said that I enjoyed Adam's work. However, he's the professional journalist and should take just a couple of minutes to scan his blog entries to avoid making sloppy errors. That was the only point I was making. An occasional typo is no big deal in any context, unless it ends up in print in a magazine or book.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | March 19, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse