Game 12 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Brewers

As the Nationals played catch before batting practice, the performer who will sing the national anthem was testing the microphone. When he finished up, Willie Harris stepped up to the mic and belted out "God Bless America." The performance cracked up his teammates, but it was actually quite good.

"You sounded good until you tried to go low," Adam Dunn told him, still slapping his knee in laughter.

Harris said he learned to sing while attending church as a child. He was good enough that he could absolutely perform "God Bless America" in the seventh and not embarrass himself. Unfortunately, his rendition won't be coming a seventh inning near you anytime soon: "I ain't here to sing," Harris said.

As always, I'll sprinkle in a few updates in this space, but primarily it's hear for you to discuss the game.

1:56: Jason Marquis's shockingly short start ended 14 minutes after it began without him retiring a single batter. Marquis allowed four singles, walked one and and hit two batters. The Nationals trail 4-0 with the bags still loaded and Miguel Batista taking over.

2:09: The first half inning just ended with the Nats trailing 10-0 and noteworthy items tumbling out of the carnage. Marquis became the first Nationals starter ever to not record an out. The Brewers scored 10 runs in the first inning for the first time in their history. The first eight batters who came to the plate scored. Fourteen Brewers batted. The biggest damage came on a Craig Counsell grand slam off of Batista. The Nationals did not wait around to endanger their three-game winning streak.

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 18, 2010; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Riggleman giving some Nationals a break
Next: Ivan Rodriguez, your National League batting leader

Comments

oh man. it's going to be a long day.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

good thing the bullpen is fresh.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow an infinity ERA for the day. Way to go Jason!

Posted by: amorris525 | April 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Like my late father used to say "he(Marquis) ain't got nuthin on the ball but the cover" this will turn out to be the worst free agent signing of 2010 way to go Jimbo er,i mean Rizzo.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Nats obviously got taken in the Marquis deal.

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | April 18, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Marquis de Sade.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 18, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

this is (was) the first time I have seen Marquis pitch for the Nats. Wow. That was a bad a performance as I ever remember seeing. Lets hope we can get out of the 1st w/o the game already decided.

Posted by: JT2009 | April 18, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"I ain't here to sing." - Willie Harris

"I ain't here to pitch." - Jason Marquis

Posted by: williamhenline | April 18, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I've never been so happy for a sac fly.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see this. Jason Marquis has shown nothing from March til now.

In the theory that every man has to contribute to the team , Jason Marquis needs a new position. He is going for the Daniel Cabrera award in a big way.

Posted by: driley | April 18, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

OMG. BTW: The record for most runs scored by a team in a single inning is 18, set by the Chicago White Stockings (now the Cubs) against the Detroit Wolverines on September 6, 1883. The modern-day record is 17, achieved by the Boston Red Sox against the Detroit Tigers on June 18, 1953. (Wikipedia)

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well -- I think that Grand Slam was what the Nats needed. Now, the bases are clear, and they can get back to pitching.

Posted by: fischy | April 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

This is actually a good thing, see... Otherwise I might have started to think things were going to be different for the Nats this year.

Posted by: JennX_ | April 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

So is Marquis

A Daniel Cabrera

B Denny Mclain

Posted by: CBinDC | April 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

We are going after this record???? Max runs in an inning?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, this one's done. Maybe they can give the bullpen a rest by bringing position players in to pitch. I'd like to see what Dunn can do on the mound...

Posted by: zaph | April 18, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, atleast i can get started on my BBQ party a little earlier than i had originally planned...

Marquis should be scrubbing toilets with his toothbrush...

Posted by: boricuabopper | April 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm could MLB see a 20 run inning after a 20 inning game ?

Posted by: CBinDC | April 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonder who gets fired today? Can't blame Jimbo for this one...most of...all of them have been fired already.

Posted by: fanofnats | April 18, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Marquis to the DL, Batista DFA'ed?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Marquis to the DL, Batista DFA'ed?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Holy moly! Glad I was there yesterday and not today.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 18, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This game should not be watched by anyone under 18 years of age.

Posted by: driley | April 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What do you think a undiscovered injury that no one knew about?

And do you think Marquis will see Strasburg's next start live and in person?

Posted by: CBinDC | April 18, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't know about "fired" after this one ... but "held accountable"? Haven't heard McCatty's name tossed about at all. Near the MLB bottom in just about every category...

Posted by: reddog278 | April 18, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm another who is thinking of the Daniel Cabrera comparison. But is Marquis doing even a bit worse? It also has me thinking of that stat -- value over (or under?) replacement player.

Is Rizzo getting tired of watching yet?

Posted by: KenNat | April 18, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Luckily the weather was too cold for me... Watching this disaster at home!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Somebody remind me again. We signed Jason Marquis to do what again? Oh, yes. Be our ace.

Ladies and gentlemen, the bourbon and Maalox are being broken out early today...

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | April 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Something has to be done when your number two pitcher can not get an out in an inning and your old flop second baseman pitches and gives up no runs. WHaaat a weekend.

Posted by: CBinDC | April 18, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think we should send him down and put Mock back at the end of the rotation.

You cannot afford to let Marquis show up every 5th day to work on his mechanics.

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | April 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Every player wants to be remembered. Sadly, Marquis will be remembered as the ONLY Nats starting pitcher to never record an out in the already sorry history of the Washington Nats. Sheez Rizzo, what were you smoking?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | April 18, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hell Martis can't be any worse(can he?) i'd send Marquis to Syracuse and bring Martis up or another deserving candidate, Rizzo or whomever didn't scout this joker very well and how much are we paying for this clown.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Marquis has been consistently adequate over the course of a 10 year career. It's really hard to imagine that he's now suddenly not good enough to be a middle of the rotation MLB pitcher.
And obviously, the Nats have too much invested in him to give up.
DL stint? Perhaps.
Demotion? No chance.

Alternatively, he is a good athlete, with a good arm who can handle the bat.
If this was high school baseball, Marquis would be playing right field for this team.
But this isn't high school.
And, at least for one inning today, this wasn't baseball.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I would think that they'll find an injury and send Marquis to the DL based on his dramatic dropoff from previous results.

Also, is Riggleman's plan just to leave Batista in until his arm falls off? 69 pitches and counting. I know he hasn't worked in a while, but he's a reliever, not a starter....

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 18, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

>B Denny Mclain

Posted by: CBinDC

You nailed that one. McLain threw some unbelievable amount of innings in '68 and '69, and he was burnt out by the time the Senators traded for him. Marquis arm is shot. Sometimes it looks like you can't get loose like Dibble was saying today. It's not always the fact of losing mph, but suddenly you can't locate anything. DL baybee you watch. And they had all of this on tape the second half of last year. They ought to fire Rizzo's ass over that. 15 mill is a lot of money, and he's not burning up the lines making any deals either.

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

So does Batista get a turn in the rotation in 5 days? Is there *anyone* in Syracuse who can get 15 outs?

Posted by: Section406 | April 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so would you have sent the runner? Vote here.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Marquis: DEE EFF AYY.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 18, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, Bibble and Sunboy called it: 27 outs to play after the 1st inning. Might not make it, but can't say the boys gave up.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, guess it was too much to ask of the bullpen...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I woulda sent him and forced the outfielder to make a perfect throw, which he did.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 18, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Marquis has got to drop out of the rotation; The team can't put up with any more of this kind of regression from a starter. Either he goes to the bullpen, or the team spots 'a (pick one) forearm/elbow/shoulder/back injury', and he goes to the DL. No way they DFA him, given his salary.

I suppose Batista could fill in for a start or two, but I'd rather see Marquis hit the DL & call up JD Martin.

Posted by: BinM | April 18, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

A quality start of any kind and given the Nats output we would have been talking sweep today, the Rockies are trying to hold off the Braves so they'll come into DC with some momentum,Marquis e.r.a.over twenty, good news; Riggs didn't wait long to give him the hook bad news; Counsel's grand slam off Batista put this game out of reach.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

On the radio the other day, Lovero and Sheehan were speculating about what people might consider the worst Cerrato/Snyder free agent signing. The betting was on Haynesworth, but it was a close call with Deion and Archuletta out there as well.

There's no debate about Rizzo's worst. It's Marquis. That's right up there at the Haynesworth level. With a pick that bad, Rizzo's got a some explaining to do.

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, they gave it a good try. Night folks.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 18, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Marquis has never been a great pitcher but he has never been a bad one either, there must be something more going on here, i.e. injury or maybe even depression or something along those lines. But either way Marquis is not Mike Bascik, I expect him to be on the DL before his next start.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | April 18, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

The silver lining: the Nats have scored 5 or more runs in their last 6 games and have only scored less than 4 runs twice all season, and one of those was against Halladay.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | April 18, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Despite Marquis meltdown (now we know why St. Louis gave him the boot), The Nats were playing hard. If not for the first inning, they were 7-1 through nine and could have won. Oh...well, the Rockies come into town next.

GO NATS!!!

Posted by: M20832 | April 18, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Wish I had gone to the park yesterday rather than today. That was, without a doubt, the worst pitching I have ever seen, and I watched FLop pitch last night. I have now seen this clown twice and I don't know if Rizzo is, but I am most certainly tired of watching Marquis pitch. I do wonder if he is injured, though. I don't see how he could be this terrible otherwise.

On the positive side, the team didn't give up and mail it in for the remainder of the game.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 18, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I liked the way they went on to score 7 runs (maybe could have had more without that call on Willingham at second late in the came). I do wonder whether Marquis is hurt. Or maybe there's a program cover curse, as he was featured on the April/May program. ;-)

Thanks for the Harris story. That was great!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 18, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

natsfly, my hubby and I were watching the first on tv today, and I said "we picked the right day to go to the ballpark." I also said, "Too bad we don't still have Lopez. He could have pitched a scoreless inning." (rimshot here) :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 18, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

The NATS scored just enough to gove the loss loss to Bastisa (undeserved) instead of Marquis. I am one of those who the the Marfquis signing was a good one based on his prior record and seeing him pitch a couple of times on TV. Don't know what's wrong. I would give him one more start then he is out of the rotation. Last year's team would have quit.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 11

Posted by: ehardwick | April 18, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Batista doesn't get the loss. The pitcher who gave up the lead gets the loss, i.e., Marquis.
Box score (NSFW or young children)

And no, sending Desmond was a bad idea. He was out by 20 feet, and that killed a good rally.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 18, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Marquis doesn't seem to be a stubborn head case like D. Cabrera so you have to wonder about his health. His next start (if not on the DL) should be interesting. Does anyone know if he has options and can be sent to Syracuse to demonstrate some competence before destroying another ML start?

Posted by: Natmeister | April 18, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

hes been awful all spring training and he has been the worst MLB pitcher since the season has started...who knows, maybe he twists an ankle and goes on the DL? Does sucking the soul out of a franchise count as an injury?

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 18, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree with those who think Marquis is hurt. But "fire Rizzo" because of this signing? Really?

Can we re-hire him, since he signed Ivan Rodriguez? I'd guess we'd then have to fire him again because of Bruney, but then we'd re-hire him for signing Livan. Then we'd fire him for not finding a right fielder, but we'd re-hire him because he gave the shortstop job to Desmond.

But then...

Posted by: baltova1 | April 18, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Mike Rizzo has done a great job with the resources given, I mean on history alone..Marquis has been a very average player and thats what was expected..very average stuff, like 4.00 era 12-12 record. There just really werent any big free agents available, and we would have to have over paid so much for lackey....I mean 15 mill for two years is not a crushing contract by any means.....there must be something wrong with Marquis, he certainly isnt a great pitcher be he also isnt this bad..

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 18, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

No need to keep beating a dead horse but like someone mentioned in a earlier post Rizzo's got some splaining to do, we're paying Marquis what? 15 mil damn Rizzo could have got Nate Robertson from Det.for a lot less by the way Robertson is 2-0 with an era of 2.20 and he shut out the hard hitting Phil's 2-0 today.I'm sure i'll get roasted for this but i'd bring up Strasburg, why not? look we're paying a lot of cash for this kid he ain't learning nuthin in AA/AAA ball bring him up and let him learn on the job yeah i know we don't want to destroy his confidence but what is learning in the minor's? not a thing, bring him up and let him sit next to Livan during the game he'll learn a lot more talking to a veteran and WS MVP then he will down on the farm.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope Nats fans will become real baseball fans and understand one does't "boo" a poor performance. Boo laziness, disrespect, umpires anytime you like, but in a 162-game season, you'll see plenty of poor athlectic performances. Hopefully, Marquis will make it back and I'm sure the same people who booed him at the park today will be standing and cheering.

Posted by: tedhaynie | April 18, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I watched Filipe Lopez pitch last night. I watched Marquis pitch today. Hate to say it, Lopez pitched better. That's a travesty and a waste of my season ticket money and a Sunday afternoon with my son at the ball park. Marquis has one job - throw strikes... He hit two guys in the feet. - Lopez had a strike out, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: burnedonce | April 18, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo had some good signings and .... Marquis. Given his record, I was happy when he signed Marquis. I still see nothing wrong with the signing given what was known then. Either he has suddenly lost it, or he is hurt, but how could Rizzo have known either? And Pudge has been a godsend. So I agree that he did fine with the resources the cheapskates gave him. And surely "sucking the sole out of a franchise" should count as an injury! :)

Two of the three games I've attended have been started by Marquis though, and I don't want to see him again until he fixes himself, if that can be done. Send him down or put him on DL. Just don't make me ruin a perfectly fine day at the park by watching another disaster.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 18, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: tedhaynie | April 18, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse "

When you have one of the worst pitching performances in Baseball History...you can be booed.

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 18, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

not to mention that he is been awful in his previous two starts

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 18, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I am a loyal Nats fan. I do not boo my team. But this time, just for a split second, a little boo escaped. That was an historically awful performance. And I have never seen this man pitch worth a damn. Still, I probably shouldn't have let that boo out.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and watched closely as Riggleman came out to pull Marquis. The whole infield came to the mound, and they all gave Marquis a pat on the back or a pat on the butt, as if to reassure him that they understood he had had a bad day, and that they're still behind him and loyal to him as teammates.

Seeing that was particularly nice to see, considering that so many fans booed. I though the booing was low-rent. The guy went out and did his best. His best was pretty bad today, but that doesn't warrant his being booed as if he's some scumbag. He knows his performance was bad; he doesn't need a bunch of "fans" to send him the message.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 18, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

ill boo him if i see him on the street..BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 18, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

NatsFly and usmc: true confessions time. I also felt bad for Marquis as he was booed off the field (and thanks for sharing the tidbit about the other players convening around him. I thought I saw Dunn speaking to him at that point, but it was a tight shot, and I couldn't see the other players.). Anyway, I also embrace a personal standard of not booing my own players, but I once shocked both my husband and myself with a temporary lapse. My lapse was at the 5/19/09 game in which the Phillies completed a four-game sweep of our Nats (you might remember it as the Colome-Hernandez dodge ball game). We were in the upper deck, in a section where Phoolies Phans outnumbered Nats fans. Our guys had taken the lead when it unraveled in a three-run 8th, and the visitors took the lead for good. After the Colome throw to first (which Hernandez dodged, of course), my section broke out in boos, and I found myself joining in. I was frustrated and caught up in the moment, and I'm not proud of it. But it happened.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 19, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse