Game 18 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Dodgers

Luis Atilano stayed up until 3 a.m. last night, talking on the phone to friends, family members and ex-teammates. They all wanted to hear about his major league debut, when he allowed one run over six innings and beat the Dodgers. "I'm still tired," Atilano said.

Atilano said he'll remember three things most: Getting a phone call Wednesday from Class AAA Manager Trent Jewett that he'd been called up, winning the game and throwing to Ivan Rodriguez. Today, he had one more keepsake to add to his baseballs. He tucked yesterday's lineup card on a shelf in his locker.

Today, Craig Stammen will try to push the Nationals to two games over .500 against Clayton Kershaw. Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 24, 2010; 1:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Zimmerman doubtful for Sunday, may pinch hit today
Next: Tyler Clippard is making them miss

Comments

I missed last night's game, so watched the recording this morning. Maybe this was addressed, but I'm confused why the Dodgers one run was charged as an earned run to Atilano. There was Nyjer's error that inning that got the runners to 2nd and 3rd -- wouldn't that make the run that scored unearned?

I'm feeling a bit like a novice with this question, so hopefully someone can help me out!

Posted by: mo_dc | April 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

mo_dc, I'm not looking at the box score, but I don't think they charged an error on that play--he never got near it. mistake, yes; error, not usually.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

They have got to get a power hitting rf,nothing personal against JMax but Rizzo needs to make a deal someway somehow,Stammen looks good so far, this might be a 2-1 or 3-2 game.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

nice little subtle snark from Carp coming out of the top if the inning, about the Dodgers' bullpen, correcting Dibble: "No, they're not bad, they 'have issues'."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It's not like the team is lacking for scoring opportunities so far. Kershaw might be about done (90 pitches through 5); He might make it through six.

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Well done Stammen!

Time to turn those scoring opportunities into scoring realities, go Nats!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Gutsy move by Riggleman pays off - Stammen singles in a run, and will start the 7th.

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Critical mistake there. And now Stammen's got to be a little tired after running all that.

Posted by: amorris525 | April 24, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I love Stammen, but I cannot believe Morgan blew the game like that.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Stupid, Stupid,Stupid; Why in the hell would you do someting as assinine as that Morgan should be benched.Stammen deserves a better fate he has pitched a beautiful game.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Morgan gets thrown out at third, and Stammen does not cross the plate before the third out is recorded, so it does not count. Weird play! Was the third base coach calling for Morgan to stretch that sure double, or did he do it on his own? I like aggressiveness, but we gave a run away there. Can't wait to hear what Riggleman says after the game.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | April 24, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The game's not over yet, CW, I actually still have hope (he types as Blake knocks one out to make it 3-2, dangit).
I have tons of respect for Stammen, T. Plush (maybe he should change his nickname to Pony Tush?) owes him a week's worth of steak dinners for that baserunning botch.

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

And the Dodgers make us pay for that mistake in less than an inning.

That's probably the game right there.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Of course the Dodgers capitalize with a go ahead run in the top of the eighth, but the game ain't over yet!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | April 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ya gotta belieeeeeve! Right on Desmond, good start getting to the Dod's bullpen "issues"

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

That was one of those ACTS OF GOD-like errors.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

... and then Dunn whiffs. :(

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

No doubt, CW, unfortunately Dunnkey couldn't get 'em home, it's time for Willinghammer.

Go NATS!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Another baserunning argh...

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Alright, the team needs to go back to base running school.

We are just throwing away runs today. We don't deserve to win.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

And like I said, that second Casey Blake dinger will be the game.

Totally disappointing. This was a great chance to take the series, and we blew it.

Olsen is a total crapshoot, as is Billingsley. Without Zim, I think the game is in the Dodgers' favor.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I would say that this has been the dumbest played game by the Nats this year...... one of those good bad facts .

good it really has been the only one and yet this has been full of dumb mistakes

Posted by: CBinDC | April 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see some solid infield defense at least, great throw by Desmond!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I really hate "Sweet Caroline". Can we all really band together and stop that song?

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

While catching up on today's boneheaded team effort, I went back to last night's box score/play-by-play. Turns out they credited Belliard's pop-up to center as a single, and the error was on the throw only. Apparently the scorer didn't credit the runner on 3rd with any part of the error (although I would argue it looked like Nyjer could've been guilty of 2 errors on the play!)

Nyjer's had a couple lapses the past two games -- I love the guy, but he's got to become mentally sharper on the field!

Posted by: mo_dc | April 24, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, CW, I'll sign that petition 100,000 times. To chime in to the previous posts on the subject, I'm in favor of anything DC's own Chuck Brown.

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Nyjer for that game-tying hit, you still owe Stammen a week's worth of steak dinners, but that helps. As does that steal! (Dang, after replay that was closer than I thought)

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Morgan drives in Kennedy, and steals second! Come on team!

(Agree about Caroline! That's the Red Sox's schtick.)

Posted by: poncedeleroy | April 24, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

How can I stay mad at Nyjer?

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to get a man-crush on Adam Kennedy. I really, really like the way he plays the game.

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

This is going into extra innings, I think.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

We got Guz, Dunn, and the Hammer coming up in the bottom of the 9th? Wait and see.

In the meantime, Capps' looking outstanding.

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!!!!!!

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the Nats never-give-up attitude this year. BUT - we have a new nominee for the Charlie Slowes "What was he thinking?" absolutely incredibly stupid Nats baserunning play. That would be Nyjer Morgan. Willie Harris was inducted last night. The charter member of this not-so-exclusive club is of course our old friend Nook Logan. Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes are members as well.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | April 24, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Well of course that was going to happen...

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This team is either lucky or the Dodgers are really unlucky. I can't tell which one.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

We gotta chance to win it in the 9th! Walk off! COME ON NATS!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

of course, OTOH, overcoming self-inflicted adversity shows good spirit, right?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yup yup, let's get this one over and Dunn!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Now would be a good time for Dunn to homer. He did it on the knuckler last night. Maybe today on the heat.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | April 24, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Punched out! Come on Ham!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | April 24, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

dang it! extra innings!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 24, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Extra innings. Called it.

And now we are going to put up the weakest part of our lineup.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

At the very least, we've been holding the highest-rank-in-average club in the majors (caveat: Manny-less currently) to 4 runs in 2 games so far...
Of course hoping it stays right there, good xtra inning prediction, CW

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Capps is bringing it.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I'm just catching up here -- way to go Nyjer in the 8th for a bit of redemption. I'll stop hatin' -- you're still the spark this team needs!

I'll refrain from further posts until I catch up or the game finishes -- hopefully with a curly W in extra innings!

Posted by: mo_dc | April 24, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Is there a post game call in show this year if so what is the # i had last years # but to date no answers. HELP!!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Ethier walkoff wins it.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I do love Willie Harris. I think we should make him a bench player until he retires. Lol.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Just checked the WFED site, Dar, and they list one for the Caps call-in show, but nothing for the Nats post-games...

NICE PLAY SUPER-WILLIEEEEEE!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman makes good moves during the game.

It feels like he kept Capps in for a second inning because he knew he'd want to pinch-hit for the pitcher in the 10th. And he had the confidence to stick with Capps after another ugly-but-effective 9th. Letting Stamen hit in the 6th was another gutsy move.

Posted by: hungrypug | April 24, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Desmond just saved Nieves' butt.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Much like last night, there will be no "Capps Win" call today.

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Dar, not sure if this helps, but according to the WFED site, there's a listing in their "Contact Us" section for the Sports Call-in Line - 1-877-936-9333

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll bite: whiskey tango foxtrot?
********************
Ethier walkoff wins it.
Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:24 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Total aside... I wonder if the catchers get annoyed by the home plate ump putting his hand on their back before every pitch. I think it'd drive me nuts.

Now back to the game, already in progress...

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Blake, the lead-killer, is due up. HERE WE GO FOLKS.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Hotnats, it's not unusual. helps to know where he is.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Sec3, I was kinda wondering the same.

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

And by that, I meant your previous "whiskey" post, thanks for the clarification on the ump/catcher info. It'd still drive me nuts-o, I think.

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

OK, Dunn and done. Let's go eat.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Dunn Ks. Again. HIT THE BALL, STOP BEING SO SELECTIVE.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Willie Harris. It's time for some extra innings heroics.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Who Nieves!

Posted by: HotNats | April 24, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Come on. If we let the Dodgers hang in, they're going to win.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

HERE WE GO SOME MORE

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer may get Comeback Player of the Game today.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

or not.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Killed ourselves to lose the game.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

UGH.. we had it right there with 2nd and 3rd base with 1 out, all we needed was a single. Desmond can't come through... neither can Guzman. Bitter ending.. is this team not allowed to win two games in a row? Sheesh.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 24, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

HotNats:
Not every umpire does it, but catchers get used to it; It can help in some situations, because you can feel which side of the plate they're setting up on.
-----------

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Well we shot ourselves in the foot enough to lose this game in nine innings and we had plenty of chances to win it after nine, and why not send Zimm up to the plate in the 13th with Pudge and Morgan in scoring position hell if Zimm gets a hit all he has to do is round first base or were we out of position players?

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

The team ran themselves out of a couple of chances today, but I guess I'd rather see that than having rallies constantly die at second.

9-9 after the 1st 18 games; Whoda thunk?

Posted by: BinM | April 24, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

BinM: You're right if someone had said after the home opener 9-9 after 18 games 99% would say hell yes, we're one pitcher and a clutch hitting RF'er away from being a consistent over.500 ball club i just don't get people like Jermaine Dye not taking some money rather than nothing at all,crazy!!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

That's what I said to my husband when he came downstairs and found me still watching the same game in the (ultimately) final inning. I felt bad for Stammen because he pitched well, as did Capps, but some boneheaded baserunning did 'em in on this one.

I did like Willie's catch at the wall in the 11th, as well as his diving catch in the 13th. We shoulda won it, I tell ya! :-)

---

We don't deserve to win.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 24, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

If Zimm had hit for Nieves instead of Pudge, they could have pinch-run for him, tho it's hard to argue with the guy who did, in fact, get a hit, and come within, what, six inches? of scoring.
***************

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 5:49 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 24, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game, and while mentally cursing Nyjer Morgan for his bonehead baserunning had to remind myself that it's a 162-game season, and given how electrifying Morgan can be, he's bound to show his humanity once in a while.

Okay, enough of me being nice. Nyjer Nyjer NYJER, did you FORGET that the friggin' PITCHER was running ahead of you?!? Arrgh...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

It's a sign of Nyjer's class that he admits it's his turn to wear the Elvis Dunce Cap.

Look on the bright side. The club's good enough to disappoint. Isn't that great?

Posted by: Drew8 | April 25, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse