Game 19 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Dodgers

It's easy to forget the Nationals, in the middle of their uplifting start, still have Chien-Mien Wang on the horizon. If Dodgers Manager Joe Torre had his way, Wang would be rehabbing for the team in the other dugout today.

"We were interested," said Torre, who managed Wang during his best seasons, in New York. "I talked to him a time or two."

Wang, of course, eventually chose the Nationals. "He's capable of trust," Torre said. "That's the most important thing."

For today, the pitchers who matter are Scott Olsen and Chad Billingsley. Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 25, 2010; 1:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Without Ryan Zimmerman, the Nationals stay afloat
Next: Willie Harris has MRI, may play tomorrow

Comments

Dibble said this twice , that Olsen needed to be convicted in his pitching ....... I really do not think that means what you think it means but then again that don't always work out

Posted by: CBinDC | April 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Interesting quote from Torre, but I'm not sure I know what "He's capable of trust" means. He'll trust you? You can trust him?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

We've got to start stringing together some wins

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 25, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

CB:
Does that mean that Dribble thinks Olsen's pitching is criminal, or does he just need a course in remedial english?
--------------------

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Olsen got lucky in the 1st, but I like his approach and he's been cruising since.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 25, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

which is good, since the hitters look tired.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Olsen looks steady through 5, but seems to be shying away from his fastball. As long as the Dodgers are hacking at the off-speed stuff, it's all good.

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

maybe changing his pitch selection for the third time thru the lineup?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I think Dibble meant Olsen need's to "trust" himself and be dedicated to his craft,sometimes when you have ability you don't take the time to perfect your skillset in this case his pitch's when Riggleman sent him to Syracuse in favor of Mock i think they were trying to send a message "we" know you have "it" but you're not showing it and until you do this is where you belong............ Syracuse lucky for Olsen Mock was terrible.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great effort for Scottie through the 6th. OK, we're convinced (or convicted) that we're as good as these guys--let's beat them!!

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 25, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Still loving the fact that through 28 innings, we've held the club with the highest average and (now) 2nd in runs in the majors to only 5 runs.

Keep it going, Great Scott!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

29 innings now. Whoo-hoo!

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sooooooo do we replace Olsen and speed up the Dodger bat's or let Scott continue?

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd say keep Olsen in until first sign of trouble, then bring in Clippard the rally killer.

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Or not.

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Holy shamoley, what a catch!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

31 innings, 5 runs total for the Dods.
Capps is 8 for 8 in save opps,
and we get the series win, with some GREAT defense.

Hot Damn!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

YES Nats win! I should be happy we finished the homestand 6-4 but for some reason I'm not. I feel like it should be even better, especially with yesterday's game I felt like we had that win. Wow, this year is so different. Back over .500!!! Wait til Zim is in the lineup again. Capps has been awesome so far. 8/8!! NL saves leader!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 25, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Nats win two series during their homestand. Go 6-4 during the same homestand. Do it with good pitching, good D, good hitting. 6-7 against the Phils, Rox, and Dodgers. Nice.

Posted by: fpcsteve | April 25, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

who gets the elvis treatment? if anyone is watching masn i'd love to know.

Posted by: paj133 | April 25, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone out there happen to know how long it took the Nats to get to 10 wins last year?
This is exciting!!!

Posted by: stags83 | April 25, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Who are these guys and what have you done with my Natinals?

Posted by: CAskinhead | April 25, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Game was awesome. That inconsistent lineup and lack of production (especially power) will come back to bite us in the ass sometime down the line. Maybe next series.

But for now, way to nurse a one run lead for nine innings.

And how about J-Max with that Willie Harris-like save?

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 25, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Nice game from Olsen & the bullpen to get the shutout. Willingham is playing out of his element in LF, and the gang covering 3B in RZim's absence has been solid as well. Me likey.

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Fpcsteve posted Olsen's stats in response to my pessimistic anticipation of Olsen's day today. My only response is to say that I am thrilled, too. We need everything to break right this year, when everything since the All-Star break in 2005 had broken against us.

Big applause to you, Scott Olsen! Fight tooth and nail to stay with the team. Maybe we can run off a winning streak and start something magical.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 25, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Over .500 with not much offensive consistency and complete failure of Marquis. MI rotation seems to be working. If this keeps up, we might have to trade for a legit RF and SP (but SS will be ready) and actually act like a real MLB team.

Posted by: goexpos2 | April 25, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

paj133: Olsen as Elvis.
stags83: 10th win last year was May 8.

Posted by: JamesWebster | April 25, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Big applause and big hair--"It's kinda tight, and it itches a little, but I'll take it."--Olsen

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Maxwell's catch in right was spectacular. Another example of how this year is so different than last. There is no way Dukes makes that catch.

Posted by: JT2009 | April 25, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

definitely a webgem, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Willingham's catch as well.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

So after all the tirades at Manny about fundamentals and defense, does anyone know if this team is being put through more fielding drills than last year? They certainly seem more focused in the field.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 25, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Pudge deserves a lot of credit for the pitching staff so far, i think the confidence he infuses in guy's like Clippard and Olsen will payoff as the season continues. Excellent defense today and so far this season,but we need to find another bat call me crazy but i think this team is gonna scare some people.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello

Indeed! Big applause to Olsen and the Nats! Winning streak and something magical? Yes, indeed. Nicely said, kevincostello.

Posted by: fpcsteve | April 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

CapitolWill:
As you say, let's see how it plays on the road. The starting pitching was rock-solid on the homestand (7 Quality starts over 10 games), and the bullpen did a good job of stopping the bleeding in the Marquis - Olsen blowups.

Offensively, Dunn could be turning the corner, Morgan is heating up, and RZimm is due back from his hamstring issues. With Pudge still raking, and Willingham still having good at-bats, the core is there.

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

OK, you're crazy, but you're still right. I think they already are getting some people's attention. Jim Tracy and Joe Torre both talked about how much better this year's team is than past seasons. And I think 1-0 wins over good teams will really get noticed.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Clipp and Capps, the Stop-it Brothers.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | April 25, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@soundbloke, I think I heard Zimm say they were routinely taking infield practice this year. Can't recall where I heard him say it. Couple weeks ago.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | April 25, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

dargramps:
Morse might supply a little pop once he comes off the DL (hopefully replacing Taveras), but I'm a little concerned about Harris' knee making that a Morse-for-Harris DL move.

BTW, was that you on the call-in show today?

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

still only 1.0 games back in the Wild Card Race!

Posted by: alex35332 | April 25, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I was one of those who, after spring training and that woeful start against Philly, thought we were headed for a third straight 100+ games lost. We could still fall off a cliff, but there is no way I would have thought we would get this kind of start. I am SOOOO happy to have been wrong!

This team is fun to watch, and this is pretty much the first time since that magical first year that this has been true. Glad I didn't give up my partial plan tickets. Definite applause all around for the team and those who built and manage/coach it!

Posted by: NatsFly | April 25, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Plays of the game (obviously): Willingham's diving catch in LF and Maxwell's diving/sliding catch in RF. Awesome!

This was the first time I've been able to see them win in person this year. I went to opening day, and I went to the disaster against Milwaukee, when it was 10-0 in the first inning. I was becoming convinced that I was a jinx, but today was fantastic! Gotta love a pitcher's duel with great defense backing up your starter. Just awesome.

After Maxwell made his catch to record the 2nd out in the 9th, everyone was totally pumped, and it was a lot of fun to watch Pudge come out to the mound and talk to Capps. They were definitely both pumped up, as well, you could tell. The pitching staff must love having Pudge behind the plate. He seems to really give those pitchers what they need, right at the right times.

Great win! Go Nats! On to Chicago.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 25, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, while we are in Denouncing Yourself day, I have to say I was way more right about the Pudge and Livo signings than about how many games they'd win.

;-)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Now this town needs to take notice and start supporting these guys. Give me a break, Washington! The Redskins suck; get behind this baseball team!!

Go Nats!! On to Chicago.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 25, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The Stop-It Brothers... Nice!

Posted by: fpcsteve | April 25, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Was iffy about going to the game today, what with the weather forecast. But at 11 am made the go decision and what a RIGHT decision!! Was on the RF line, saw that great catch in the 9th right in front of me. Saw my man Clip and my man Nyjer. Missed Willeeeeeeeeeee and now I know why. Get well soon, man.

Smallish crowd, pretty laid back, but saw quite a few Strassburg jerseys.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 25, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Boy what a difference a year makes.
MLB has this great tool in which you can pick a date and see what the standings were.
At this time (April 25th) in 2009 the Nationals were 3-13 and were the worst team in baseball, 7 and a half games behind the Marlins. At the same time the Dodgers were the best team in Baseball with a 13-5 record.

Everyone talks about the great start the Nats got in 2005, well on April 25th of 2005 the Nats were 10-9 but only a game and a half behind the Marlins. Oh, on April 25th of 2005 guess who was in last place in the NL East? The Phillies with a 9-11 record.

On April 25th, 2010 the Nats are 10-9 and a half game behind the Marlins who are in second place (they haven't finished today's game at Colorado) and are just 2 games behind the Phillies.

Of course the Phillies are probably the best team in the National League but maybe, just maybe with guys like Wang, Strasburg, Jordan Zimmerman and Storen knocking on the door we could be the next Tampa Bay story.

Oh, for those that don't remember in 2008, Tampa Bay finished the year first in the American League East with a 97-65 record. The previous year they finished with a 66-96 record which was the worst in Baseball so who knows what is possible. Oh, for Tampa Bay on April 25th, 2008 they had a record of 12-11 (.522 average, Nats today have a .566 average) and Tampa Bay were 2 games behind first place Boston (Nats today are also 2 games behind the Phillies).

Boy it could be an interesting season.

Posted by: Golfersal | April 25, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

BinM: Yes that was me on the call in show,it was pleasure to watch a well played game by both teams today JMax made a sparkling play as did JWill, like i said in an earlier post this pitching staff seems to be comming together and Rigg's seem's to be pushing the right buttons,the Cub's won't be easy Lou Pinella has laid down the law and they seem to be responding,should be a good series.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Glad you got through, dargramps (though I didn't hear the show).

That was a great win, though I'll admit I was pacing in front of the tv in the top of the 9th. Loved Willie's standing O for the Willingham catch. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 25, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad you got through, dargramps (though I didn't hear the show).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 25, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

stupid login interface

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 25, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

And thanks to the D-backs for beating the Philthies, to the Rox for winning 8-4 in the top of the 9th vs. the Fish, and we got NYM and ATL beating up on eachother this eve, this could be a very good day indeed...

Go Nats!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 25, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang.....REMEMBER...I said 85!!
Admittedly wildly optimistic-especially before the season started....and while I may be foolish-I'm no fool(not completely, any who!)
I just got a feeling.....that this team was capable of playing like the '05 bunch-with much better personnel. And lordy-as much as I love this game AND the Nats-how much better is it when your team actually can PLAY THE GAME!
Be still, my heart!!!!
Go Nats!!!!!!!

Posted by: zendo | April 25, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Its such a joy to listen on the radio now to a close game knowing that some horrific blow up is not just around the corner. I am so very excited for the team and wish that I was in DC to see them in person.

NatsFaninKC