Game 21 discussion thread: Nationals at Cubs

Alberto Gonzalez, who has been playing well lately, will start at third base for the Washington Nationals on Tuesday in the second of three games against Chicago Cubs.

Before the game, Nationals Manager Jim Riggleman was asked about Gonzalez's role.

"Gonzo's just a good player," Riggleman said. "He's kind of like Willie Harris. You put him out there and kind of take him for granted."

Riggleman continued, "He's just a classic utility player that we feel like if we ever get strapped, if we have a serious injury, we wouldn't have to scramble and make a bad deal."

Feel free to use the comment section below as a discussion thread. I'll provide any worthwhile updates from Wrigley Field.

By Mark Viera  |  April 27, 2010; 7:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Roger Bernadina to be promoted
Next: Jesse English optioned to Syracuse

Comments

All that yap about Desmonds defense... get it outta here. Dude is a freaking stud with the glove. Absolutely incredible today.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Ron Dibble just nailed a big reason why we don't like him and the whole phony, corporate PR MASN schtick.

When told the trivia question was about who are the last two Nationals pitchers to walk in the winning run, Dibble objected to question, saying:

"I thought we don't do negative things on this broadcast."

Posted by: JLNash819 | April 27, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

JLNash819 thanks for your comments. I like Dibble a lot.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 27, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

MKadyman, Really? Mind if i ask why? Maybe I'm missing something.

I miss Sutton and Darling, from whom I often learned things about the game. I find Dibble repetitive, and the things he does say again and again are, in my view, pretty obvious to begin with. If I hear 'throw strikes' one more time I think I'm going to....

Then there is the amateurish root, root root for the home team thing, spoiling good plays with his grunting or other bizarre noises.

Charlie and Dave are so much better. I always have them on the radio when watching TV.

Posted by: JLNash819 | April 27, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

i concur with MKadyman -- Dibble is, without a doubt, and by leaps and bounds, the best color guy the Nats have had on TV. Period. -- If anything, he was speaking tongue-in-cheek - Dibs calls it like it is. even if a bit bombastically. but at least he's a fan - not a lame goofball doofus like Paciorek or a dead fish like Darling. i do miss Sutton's extensive baseball insight, but Dibble is MUCH more entertaining.

Posted by: TheBorg | April 27, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals are getting JOBBED.

Posted by: mjwies11 | April 27, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

According to Charlie and Dave we got away with one at 2nd. Am I alone in thinking this is a good sign. We're actually getting calls now...Sweet!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | April 26, 2010 10:34 PM

....ah yeah...I'd like to officially redact my previous statement and apologize the the gods of baseball for any offense. That is all.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | April 27, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I WANT my home town announcers to root for the home team. I don't watch the games looking for objectivity. And I do feel like Dibs has a lot of interesting things to say, particularly about pitching. He'd stop saying "throw strikes" if more of the Nats pitchers would start, I dunno, THROWING STRIKES! (in fact, he hasn't had to say it nearly as often lately). Other people are welcome to their opinions, but I enjoy Dibble a lot.

Posted by: dryw1 | April 27, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Another gem from Livo (defense had A LOT to do with it, though).

Gotta add some runs. Pinch hit w/ Zim, then let the top of the order DOOO WUURRKKK.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 27, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

lol, or let Livo bat and throw him out for the 8th... either way, ha.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 27, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

who was it that kept wanting Desmond hitting second? I take back what I was thinking...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 27, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I can see I'm outnumbered here tonight in my one man anti-Dibble campaign.

But to clarify, I don't object to the announcers rooting for the home team, either. Charlie and Dave do, after all. But a little bit of this goes a long way. The radio team, and especially Dave, do this with more class, restraint and intelligence than the over-the top Dibble.

I guess I'm a spoil-sport-stick-in-the-mud, but to me he is a vulgarian, and about as entertaining as the loud mouth blowhard repetitive bore sitting next to me who won't shut up and has had 3 beers to many.

Posted by: JLNash819 | April 27, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Dibble's enthusiasm for the game, and for the team, but he's kind of monotonous; the kind of guy I'd love to watch one game with, but not 162. And he whines about the umps too much.
I liked Wimpy, myself.
C&D are almost a little too detached sometimes.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 27, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I like Dibble as a color-man. He does add "color" to the broadcast! As for being a "homer", well...why not? I root for the Nats as I watch at home. Very often I yell something at the TV and Dibble will say the same thing a few seconds later. Of all of the color commentators the Nat have had since 2005, I think Dibble is the most entertaining and keeps the game moving along very nicely.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | April 27, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow.. Way to fight through that Clippard

Posted by: Tom8 | April 27, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

For me, Dibs is fine. Don't mind the former ballplayer being a homer. The problem is with Carpenter. He should be the objective play-by-play guy, playing straight man to the colorful Dibs. Two homers in the booth are bush league.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 27, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Carpenter is much better with Dibble, though, that's sure.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 27, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but remember, Dibble is there to add color, to augment Carpenter.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | April 27, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

and the baserunning adventures continue, as the sniper just about gets Tavares coming off of first...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 27, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Mad Capps onto try for nine saves in nine tries. Barkeep, bourbon and Maalox all around for my friends!

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | April 27, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and when did they start throwing to first after a strikeout, instead of third?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 27, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Alfonso Soriano+100 Gazillon Dollars=Priceless(LMAO!!)

Posted by: dargregmag | April 27, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

JLNash819, I agree to some degree, but I still don't mind him and prefer him by leaps and bounds over Darling who was the MOST boring person ever to speak into a microphone.

When Clippard was pitching to Byrd in the 8th, Byrd hit a grounder on what was obviously ball 4, a good 8 - 10 inches outside.
Carpenter thanks Byrd for helping us out.
Dibble called it "an excellent pitch by Clippard".
It was not by any means an excellent pitch, it was not where Clippard or Pudge wanted it, but it worked.

He's so "positive" that he loses credibility.

And I'm really sick of all the complaining about the umpiring. It's just dumb.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 27, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I love Dibs. It is refreshing to hear someone in the local media be enthusiastic about the Nats.

Posted by: cabraman | April 27, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Nice win tonight good "D" and another stellar performance from the ageless wonder,The Clip Job and Madd Capps are becoming quite the pair, they should have had about four runs before Livo took the mound but hey another curly W is in the books,i'll weigh in on the Dibble discussion i like Dib's i mean he took some getting use to but he knows the game.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 27, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@Sec3mysofa ... I've been campaigning for Desmond to bat second since the opener. The kid is a natural for that spot.

I'm sorry if Guzman doesn't like to bat lower in the lineup, but he has no patience and he's a rally killer.

Good win. Desmond is really starting to shine at shortstop. Defense is solid stuff. We just need more consistent hitting, although I think a top of of the order that looks like this would help:

Morgan
Desmond
Zimmerman
Dunn
Willingham

P.S. Chalk me up as +1 for Dibble. He makes the television games enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. The whole household loves the big goof, actually.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 27, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....well well well...how SWEET it is to be confining our gripes and grumps to the quality-or lack thereof- of our announcers! Me?-Individually, they are O.K. But when they do their shtick....no thanks.....annoying, and often ignoring the action on the field. And oh, let's not fergit Tom Paciorek-I thought he was terrific.....or Mel Proctor, anyone? But seriously-listen to the O's T.V. team-somehow Angel-oh,no! hasn't run off a terrific crew. And since I have the MLB package I listen to quite a few other crews. What's surprising is how POOR most are....and I'd hafta lean more towards JLs' take. Not the worst, but....hey, the Nats are improving! Take a clue, Carp and Robbie!
Oh MAN!!!!!!
GO NATS!!!!!!

Posted by: zendo | April 27, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...and Oh Yea-I dig the Silver Fox!(His sucking up to Mark Slow Lerner the other day notwithstanding ....)
GO NATS!!!!

Posted by: zendo | April 27, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...and a final note-for those of you who've noted my "85" game prediction. At .524 win percentage , we're on a pace to win-Ta Da!! 84.888 games
Close enough!
G'nite, looking forward to reading you all in the morning...
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | April 27, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Great work NATS! GO for that series win tomorrow.

Also, count me as a Dibble supporter as well.

Posted by: amorris525 | April 27, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg -- May 3rd -- Bowie, if he's still there and not 'cuse. Wish I could trade my Monday night Reading tickets for two of those!

Posted by: nats24 | April 27, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

And to comment on the original Dibble comment in question ("I thought we don't do negative things on this broadcast..."), I thought it was pretty clear that he was being sarcastic.

It wasn't like he was offended or anything.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 27, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice win tonight. Thanks, Livo! I'm glad I drank that coffee so I wouldn't nod off during the late innings. :-)

Anybody else think we should start calling Desmond "Neo"? That diving catch and flip were, like, soooo Matrix.

fwiw, I also like Bob and Rob, and I think the comment in question was tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 27, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Desmond and Livo might have had to share the Elvis wig if they weren't on the road...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 27, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Elvis silver helmet update:

Unless these old eyes are mistaken, it was sitting in Livo's locker after the game (partially visible in the last interview shown on the postgame show).

Adam, this could be a big story. Have the boys changed their minds & decided to take Elvis on the road? And was Livo awarded it but unable to assume the crown?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 27, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I just had to point out -- the three Nats pitchers who took the mound tonight all have sub 1.00 ERAs.

Posted by: poet420 | April 27, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Livan, Clippard, and Capps all have ERAs under 1.

Not terrible.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

poet420, you beat me to it.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

A tough one tommorow Ryan Dempster will be gunning for us could be another 3-2,4-3,2-1 or maybe not, i had to chuckle reading everyone's post on Dib's and whether or not he's a homer yeah he is but i don't have a problem with that hell you should here Ron Santo(Cub's broadcaster)anywho,gonna go cut some z's Go Nat's.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 27, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

On Marlon Byrd's ground out off of Clippard in the 8th:
My impression is that the pitch looked like it was over the plate, until a last-second break carried it outside. This may not have been intentional (as a knuckleball has unpredictable breaks). Byrd was swinging on a pitch he thought was over the plate, but was crossed up by the last-second break.
I didn't see this until a replay of that at-bat on the post-game show. Does anyone else remember it the way I do?

Posted by: bertbkatz | April 28, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Alumni News: Austin ".195" Kearns has hit his second home run in two nights. That puts him one behind last year's pace. For the entire year. He's doing a FLop on us.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | April 28, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

And to add to the alumni notes, our former beloved wookie, J. Rauch notched another save this eve, putting him tied at the top of the AL in saves with 7 (we hold the NL lead with 9, thanksmuch Mr. Capps!)

Rauch's delivering a huge sigh of relief to those Minnesota fans I bet, who (like a lot of us) figured the Twins to be severely compromised with Nathan going down. Right on Wookie!

Posted by: HotNats | April 28, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and count me in for a vote for Dibble. He's made me chuckle more than cringe, and at the very least, I've never been bored listening in. That said, I prefer Charlie and Dave overall, but as far as the TV guys go, I dig the Carpenter/Dibble duo.

And just caught the MLB network live look-in on the Giants beating the Philthies, most excellent!!! Aside from the Mets taking 2 today from the Dods (seriously???!?), this was a good day, with ATL and the fish losing as well.

Go Nats!!!

Posted by: HotNats | April 28, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

The truth is, we've never had a color guy to properly complement Carpenter, who's simply a pro. Ron D. has gotten much better since he left here (of course that was with Proctor, not Carpenter), but he pretty much bit when he was with us. Tom P., nothing really to say, nice guy, near zero impression. Sutton was a pro too, had all the intelligence you could want and was educational (mostly about pitching, natch). The sense of history was cool though he sometimes verged on living in the past, but he tended toward being overly optimistic and to get didactic and repetitive over the course of a season. Plus as it turned out he didn't really want to be here after all. I've learned like Dibbs at times, maybe he's tried to recognize and work on his weak points. I still find the "we" thing jarring and probably always will, but concede he has cut down somewhat on considering just intoning "niiiiiice..." after any good play to be doing his job. (Also on the wiseguy black shirts.) He has the energy, if not necessarily the most erudition, is a realist, and his analysis has improved each year he's been gone from John Sally's talk show, but he should still lose the stoopid voices and cut back on the outta date (but not old or oddball enough to actually be interesting) pop culture references...and someone oughta inform him that saying a pitcher needs to "be convicted" means something other than what he apparently thinks it does..

Posted by: evanescent_panoply | April 28, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Just win baybee

Posted by: Brue | April 28, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Elvis sighting report, Cap P. I didn't watch all of the postgame because it was a late (for me) game. The last time Livo won the coveted award, Debbi Taylor said that he couldn't wear it because his head is, um, a tad bit large.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 28, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Give me 4 Livos and a Strasburg with a side of Clippard and Capps please and then we can have victories like this every night!

Posted by: markfd | April 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse