Ivan Rodriguez in line up, Ryan Zimmerman out

UPDATED | 6:40 p.m. After sitting out with tightness in his lower back on Monday night, catcher Ivan Rodriguez will return to the starting lineup for the Washington Nationals on Tuesday when they play the second of a three-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, who has a sore right hamstring, is not starting Tuesday for a sixth consecutive game. Utility man Willy Harris, battling a bone bruise on his right knee, is not also starting.

On Tuesday, Alberto Gonzalez will play again at third base in place of Zimmerman. Adam Kennedy started at the hot corner on Monday and went 0 for 3 in the Nationals' 10-inning loss.

The decision to keep Zimmerman out on Tuesday comes as little surprise, and is once again probably a product of the chilly, windy weather in Chicago. The first two games of the series are night games; the temperature dropped on Monday, and the conditions should be similar on Tuesday night.

If Zimmerman is going to return this week, it will likely occur on Wednesday in the only day game these teams play in this set.

Nationals

6. Alfonso Soriano, LF
7. Mike Fontenot, 2B
8. Geovany Soto, C
9. Tom Gorzelanny, P

By Mark Viera  |  April 27, 2010; 3:42 PM ET
Categories:  Ivan Rodriguez , Ryan Zimmerman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wrigley Field is 'friendly' to Adam Dunn
Next: Strasburg live-blog: Baseballtown, USA

Comments

This is the line up I have wanted to see. With the only change being Zimm in the 3 hole. I really believe the 2 hole should be Desi's spot.

Posted by: hansenjo | April 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have any idea why Pudge did not appear in this morning's MLB list of batting average leaders? Is it because his recent absences from the lineup have reduced his at-bat totals below the required threshold?

I noticed this early this morning when I checked online. Couldn't figure it out.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | April 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

ok Livo - we need you tonight!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

shep - I'm working from memory (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but I think to qualify you have to have 3.2 plate appearances per game your team has played. Nats have played 20, Pudge has 60 PA's, so not quite enough.

Posted by: hats4bats | April 27, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

hats4bats, right on, but I think it is 3.1 plate appearances per game.
Wikipedia thinks 3.1 as well.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 27, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

patty, a really good Livo outing would send flutters up the spines of the many (including me) who are scared to wonder if he can keep this up. We should know by the second inning.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 27, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

My preferred general line-up (in addition to Zimm) would be Kennedy playing and hitting second, despite his current low BA. He puts the ball in play and takes pitches--his K/BB ratio is 6/6, whereas is Guzman is 13/2. He also has 4 steals already despite ~20 fewer PA's than Guz. I would wait another year before hitting Desmond 2nd so he can just concentrate on hitting in his rookie season and not thinking about taking pitches to give NM a chance to run, hitting & running, etc.

Posted by: slewis1 | April 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather not see Guz at 2nd. There was a ball or two last night (when MASN hadn't figured out yet how to block the feed again) where I thought a better 2nd baseman would've dove to his left and saved a hit.

Posted by: hats4bats | April 27, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

hats4bats:
I'm with you - Kennedy is a step better than Guzman at 2B. But given that the Cubs are starting a LH tonight (Gorzelanny), Kennedy is on the bench.

Posted by: BinM | April 27, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Go get 'em, Livo. I drank coffee so I could stay up to watch you. :-)

p.s. Can't believe I missed a Spartacus reference.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 27, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

It was Tatyana wasn't it, Pudge? (wink)

Posted by: NatsNut | April 27, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse