Riggleman talks about Capps's availability

Washington Nationals closer Matt Capps has pitched two consecutive days, including a five-out save on Thursday and a two-out save on Friday. If the Nationals are in a save situation in the ninth inning of Saturday's game against the Milwaukee Brewers, there is no saying that Capps would pitch again.

"He probably will be; I'll check with him," Manager Jim Riggleman said. "The little bit he threw last night was not that big a deal, but he did throw five outs the day before. I'll see how he's feeling. I got a lot of confidence in [Tyler] Clippard and [Sean] Burnett, [Brian] Bruney's throwing the ball well, not getting great results yet but he's throwing the ball well. I'd like to be in that situation. If we get there, I'd be very satisfied with whoever we put out there. So getting there is the key."

Some managers have hard-and-fast rules about how many consecutive days a pitcher can pitch. Riggleman is not stringent, instead relying on how the relievers feel.

"Sometimes a guy would throw a day and has nothing the next day," Riggleman said. "I've had guys throw four, five days in a row, you try to shut down them down and they're adamant that 'I feel great.' They may go out and perform well on that fifth day. We haven't run into that situation, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But today, it's a gray area with Matt and I'll check with him when we go in there."

By Zach Berman  |  April 17, 2010; 1:27 PM ET
 | Tags: Jim Riggleman, Matt Capps, Washington Nationals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 11 discussion thread
Next: On Zimmerman's return, Maxwell's future and a fresh bullpen

Comments

Hi, my name is sec3mysofa. I'm so fat I actually can't get up off my sofa. I do wish for a time to come when I could go out and do things, be active, but sadly I simply know the day will come when the local township will have to cut me out of the house with the fire department and emt's on site.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Clippard would be my choice should Capps be unable to go in the 9th.

Posted by: BinM | April 17, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BinM, I agree, Clippard has been solid for us. I have a lot of confidence in him.

Posted by: dryw1 | April 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I've been enjoying catching up on the various debates through the last few threads. As far as Dukes is concerned, I believe that JMaxx's comments on the situation were the most telling. He talked about how their were certain things surrounding Dukes situation and that it would be a more united locker room now. I do not believe that Dukes himself caused chemistry problems but rather with it was the arrangement JimBo set up for Dukes. Dukes lived under different rules than everyone else on the team, these rules set up for him and not of his choosing. Thererfore I believe Rizzo felt that Dukes had not performed well enough to justify continuing with this arrangement.

However the fact that no other team has even offered him a non-guaranteed minor league deal is interesting, they most know something we do not.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | April 17, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

PeteyWheatStraw; You may have hit the nail on the head with the Dukes comments and you're right they must know something we do not, i was really pulling for Elijah given all his baggage but now.............. Good to see Maxwell hit one and get a couple rbi,maybe he's more relaxed since the birth of his daughter way to go kid.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Livo and great play by Maxwell, this team can only hope the guys in the minors are ready to play big games, on another note . . .HA HA HA the O's still suck with all their "prospects" more like losing season number 13 going on forever. Angelos forever!!!

Posted by: jpt1002 | April 17, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Great to see JMax play well. It would be terrific if he succeeds. Playing him to see what we have is the right move.

In the dead horse dept., do we know that Dukes hasn't been offered a contract? He hasn't signed one, but maybe his agent is working on getting the best deal possible - I would think a minor league offer.

Posted by: utec | April 17, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

LIVO- WOW!!! Unbelievable!! How many of you evpected Livan to be our stopper and savior? I am damn happy to have him and if Olsen can continue his comeback, I think we can weather the storm. If they can hang around .500 until June when Strasburg, Storen, Detwiler and Wang should all be available, anything is possible. But then, I an the ultimate glass is half full guy when it comes to baseball. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | April 17, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

well, Livo took care of the Capps problem...

Posted by: bromisky | April 17, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"The pace of the elephant is slow but crushing!"

Posted by: 6thandD | April 17, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Will those who bashed the Livo and Pudge signings plese step forward to accept your flogging

Posted by: SCNatsFan | April 17, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I talked my husband into going, and we were both glad we did. That is now officially one of my fave in-person Nats games, and I love Livo more than ever.

In other news, who left the pet door open for PMcP?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 17, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

PMcP must be more than a little upset that his Oooooooorioles are off to an even worse start this year than the Nationals had in 2009. We feel your pain, Poopy, but we don't gloat. Well, maybe just a little!

Posted by: COL_DFox | April 18, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse