Nationals shuffle starters

Today is Craig Stammen's turn to pitch, but the Nationals used the offday to tweak their starting rotation. In an effort to break up their two left-handed starters, Scott Olsen will pitch on normal rest tonight and Stammen will start Saturday night on six-days rest. So, the probable matchups for this weekend's series in South Florida against the Marlins:

Friday: Scott Olsen vs. Ricky Nolasco
Saturday: Craig Stammen vs. Chris Volstad
Sunday: John Lannan vs. Josh Johnson

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 30, 2010; 12:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Extras on Livan Hernandez's hot start
Next: Today's lineup

Comments

Wasn't too much rest a problem in a previous start for Stammen? Then again, it was before he consulted the "Great Guru" (hmm, it needs a better term for Livo).

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, AK. I miss not having probable starters listed in the paper WaPo.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Is that anything like the Curly Shuffle? :-)

Seriously, thanks for the info. I was wondering about the differing probable starter info on the MASN and team sites.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is the year things turn around for the Nats and a trip to FL won't be akin to a visit to a house of horrors. The numbers for the Nats playing in FL are ugly.....15-30 overall and only three series wins in 15 series. Memories of leads being lost in the late innings, homers by Cantu, Rameriz, Uggla, etc. have haunted us for years. Hopefully 2010 is the year the tables are turned.

Posted by: VaNat | April 30, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

VaNat, I'll definitely be interested to see how these Nats fare against the Marlins. Fish fry, anyone? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Livo's new nickname should be Ty. Ty was Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack. Here is a famous quote from the movie:

Ty Webb: Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Danny.

Danny Noonan: It's hard when you're talking like that.

Now picture Livo leaning stoically on the dugout rail telling Luis Atilano this:

Livo: Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Luis.

Luis Atilano: It's hard when you're talking like that.

OR-

Don't be obsessed with your Stikeouts Luis. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy.

His new nick name should be Ty

So we have:

T. Plush
Jesus
Pudge
Big Donkey
Hammer
and now Ty

Posted by: hansenjo | April 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I have little hope for a series win. We have to hit against Nolasco and Johnson. I just don't see us winning those games with our talent.

Let's hope for 1-2 and go home.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

This series is not the end all and be all to the season but a series win would be a huge confidence boost, to be sure the Marlin's are licking their chops and thinking this will be another three game beat down, but with Clip and Save in the pen things will be different the Nat's will take two of three.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 12:57 PM

********************

@1a1, if I'm invited I'd love to join you. I might even suggest an old Nats family recipe!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
7 innings well-pitched ball
1 inning Clip
1 inning Save
8-10 well-timed runs

Directions
Preheat the fryer. Marinate the fish in the seasoned buttermilk (and top-shelf pitching). In a mixing bowl, mix the cornmeal and flour together (and toss in 8-10 well-timed runs). Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove the fish from the buttermilk, removing any excess. Dredge each fish in the cornmeal, coating each side completely. Lay the fish in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onions, garlic, lemon juice, hot sauce, and herbs together. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for 1 hour.

Posted by: HenryStin | April 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

My long-winded joke has made me very very hungry for fried fish.

Posted by: HenryStin | April 30, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I know I am a little strange, but I prefer my fish raw.

(but sliced into healthy portions)

Posted by: wigi | April 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Breaking up the two lefties makes sense. This way, the Marlins will forget what a lefty looks like. Ballplayers have short memories.

Posted by: EdDC | April 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't eat fish, myself, but nice work on the recipe, Henry! :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

CapitolWill - Fortunately the Nats don't share your loser mentality.

Posted by: edr04 | April 30, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, the shuffle puts Stammen in line to start the June 8th game against Pittsburgh, otherwise known as the most likely date for "Jesus to come to DC."

Just thinking ahead...

Posted by: baltova1 | April 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

We nevermiss achance
to get up and dance
and the the Curly-W Shuffle!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 30, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

*do the*

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

A refreshing thing about this year's Nats (so far) is the lack of losing streaks. In contrast to recent years, they bounce back, and have not lost more than 2 in a row.

But I still fear a collapse. It's not that I'm negative - it's just that I've never known anything else.

Posted by: KenNat | April 30, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Actually, baltova1, this was in Zuckerman's blog today:

Natscan Reduxit: That June 4-June 10 homestand against the Reds and Pirates still looks like a safe bet for Strasburg's debut. If he stays on a strict five-day schedule, he's lined up to start Sunday, June 6 against Cincy. But I wouldn't buy tickets on that premise quite yet. There's still plenty of time for the Nats to move him up or back a day or two.

Makes more sense for "Jesus" to show up on Sunday, right? ;)

Posted by: RPrecupjr | April 30, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

RPrecupjr, good info and nice one-liner...

Well done.

Posted by: baltova1 | April 30, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

That'd be the one, sec3. (nyuk-nyuk-nyuk-nyuk)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I've got to say, it's really refreshing to read the comments and they're all really happy and light-hearted. Our guys are terrific now, even without Zim, Jesus, etc. etc. Just wait til June, July, August, September, then - dare I say it? Naah. I'll just wait and keep on rooting for the home team.

GO NATS!!!