Friday's lineups

Mike Jacobs - 1B
Jeff Francoeur - RF
Rod Barajas - C
Ruben Tejada - SS
Mike Pelfrey - RhP

By Alexa Steele  |  April 9, 2010; 3:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Next up, Garrett Mock
Next: Deciding between a trio of infielders, Jim Riggleman isn't stuck in the middle

Comments

Glad to see Dezy back in the lineup.

This is the Nats' best shot at a sweep of the Mets, with Reyes and Beltran still out.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Scott Olsen did not do very well at Syracuse. He gave up 4 runs and 8 hits in 6 1/3 innings, and is still responsible for a runner at third. He had one walk and 4 strikeouts. Here is Mock's chance to make the decision to keep him instead of Olsen look good.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 9, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Jack Spradlin saved Olsen's hide with the inherited runner. Since the game against Lehigh Valley is tied at 4, Olsen with get a no decision, but carry forward an ERA of 5.68. I hope Garrett does much better.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 9, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances against the line up. I mean, with the exception of Wright and Bay that looks like a Nats circa 2007 line up. If Mock can't get through that three times he should be taking a slow bus to up state New York.

NatsFaninKC

Posted by: mastroj | April 9, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I believe Reyes is supposed to be back as early as tomorrow.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Angel Pagan is a great, great name.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I know they are missing Reyes and Beltran, but the Mets stink, especially at this moment. The Nats, and I cannot believe I'm saying this--and perhaps its the euphoria of two doughnuts I just ate setting in--should be favored against the Mets this weekend. Go Nats!

Posted by: jfromPG | April 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think Desmond should bat 8th. He should have someone other than the pitcher batting behind him to give him a little protection.

Posted by: chekhov1 | April 9, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

+ 1/2 St --

I'm going to disagree with you on Olsen's day. He had one bad inning (5th) where he gave up a couple of singles (3 to be exact) and a double leading to 3 runs scored. Before that, he had allowed only two singles. His last run charged to him was in the 7th and I'd like to hear from someone that was there what this maens (taken from the GameDay recap):

Chris Duffy triples (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Roger Bernadina, deflected by center fielder Justin Maxwell. Brian Bocock scores.

Did Maxwell cut in front of Bernadina? Did he try for a diving catch and miss? I'm curious.

Regardless, Olsen's final numbers were:

6.1 IP; 8 Hits, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
10 Groundouts - 4 flyouts - 1 popup

I'd take that from Olsen at this point in his recovery, especially if his velocity was 90-92.

Posted by: erocks33 | April 9, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

So, it looks like SYR won again in their last at-bat!

Talk about manufacturing a run:

Orr walks. Takes 2nd on a balk. Bynum reaches on error by third baseman, Orr to 3rd. Duncan sac fly scores Orr with the winning run. ORR!!!!

BTW ... Maxwell was 0-3 with one K, one walk and one HBP. But, he was caught stealing twice!

Posted by: erocks33 | April 9, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Maxwell - what happened to him? Sounds like he has really taken a turn for the worse this year - is he hurt? Or was he just never that good?

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 9, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Angel Pagan is a great, great name.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 9, 2010 4:30 PM

****

Soren -- I had a high school buddy whose last name was Shabat. Dude actually married a girl named Noelle. Marriage lasted something like two months. True story.

Posted by: BobLHead | April 9, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

erocks - wouldn't "3 singles" have sufficed instead of "a couple of singles (3 to be exact)"?

Funny how you and +1/2 St. quote essentially the same stats, he thinks the outing was not very good, you're satisfied with it.

+1/2 St. said Olsen "did not do very well". Given it was against AAA and not the Phillies, I would agree with that assessment.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 9, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The idea that Justin Maxwell would ever be an everyday big league OF is a mystery to me. What did he ever do in the high minors that would make anyone to believe the guy would consistently hit MLB pitching? He hit .240 in 112 games at AAA and .233 in 43 games at AA. He looks great in a uniform and is a decent defender, but the guy cannot hit.I favored releasing Dukes for chemistry reasons, but if they were relying on Maxwell to emerge, that was foolhardy.

#4

Posted by: db423 | April 9, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

GO NATS!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

They had Willie with the Elvis 'do on Nats Xtra. I must say, the man sports it with class and dignity. Can't wait to see Dunn in it. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 9, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

If Mock can't get through this collection of free-swinging, low-OBP (Wright & Bay excepted) bunch of hacks with fewer than two walks issued, he needs to be on the next bus to SYR. Show us your best stuff, meat.
"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well".

Posted by: BinM | April 9, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Mock just punched his ticket to Syracuse. While your there drive the hour to Rochester and stop in the Distillery for the best wings in upstate.

Posted by: mastroj | April 9, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Mock just punched his ticket to Syracuse. While you're there drive the hour to Rochester and stop in the Distillery for the best wings in upstate.

Posted by: mastroj | April 9, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse