President Barack Obama throws out first pitch on Washington Nationals opening day

Clad in a red Washington Nationals jacket and a black Chicago White Sox cap that he pulled from his pocket, President Obama threw out the 2010 baseball season's first pitch, high and outside over the left-handed hitter's batters box.

Obama received roughly 90 percent cheers as he walked out of the Nationals dugout along the first base side of the diamond. With Nationals owner Theodore Lerner trailing behind, Obama shook hands with four wounded military members lining a red carpet.

As he strode to the pitcher's mound at 1:07 p.m., Obama waved to the cheering crowd. His custom-made Nationals jacket had his name on one shoulder and the presidential seal on the other. Standing on the rubber, Obama pulled out a White Sox cap, showing his allegiance to his hometown team.

With third baseman Ryan Zimmerman squatting behind home plate, Obama threw the ball left-handed from the stretch. The ball sailed high and well outside, forcing Zimmerman to stretch to his right. Zimmerman put his arm around Obama as he walked back toward the dugout. Obama waved his cap before descending into the dugout.

Before he came to the field, Obama walked around the Nationals clubhouse and met everyone there, from players to P.R. staff.

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 5, 2010; 1:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama will wear Nationals jacket for first pitch
Next: Jesse English became the bright spot on Nationals opening day

Comments

> players to P.R. staff.

and beat writers?

Posted by: CajunD | April 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You made it to a Nats game Obama, how about a Caps game? Not only are they the only major sports team in the DC area that legitimately doesn't suck, but they're also the best team in all of hockey. It's almost embarrassing that you haven't made it down to Verizon center yet.

Posted by: futbolclif | April 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We don't need the stooge at Capitals games.

Posted by: WJStephens | April 5, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The libs are GREAT at spin. To cover up the "boos" of the president at the National's opener, they had him put on a WhiteSox cap. BRILLIANT!

Posted by: CAisajoke | April 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Nats fan that I am, I thought the ChiSox hat was funny. Can't blame the guy for plugging his team LOL

Posted by: js_edit | April 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Obama received roughly 90 percent cheers as he walked out of the Nationals dugout along the first base side of the diamond. With Nationals owner Theodore Lerner trailing behind"

Maybe the boos were directed at Lerner

Posted by: dclifer97 | April 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think he's a jerk for pulling out the White Sox hat. He already made fun of the Nats on national TV last year - and now he pulls out the White Sox hat which I took as an obvious snub to the Nats. He makes everyone get to the park four hours early and then let's everyone know he's not a Nats fan. What a jerk.

And, of course, his girly throw was very wide to the left - which we all knew it would be.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 5, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If I were president (and luckily for you the constitution forbids it), I would never stop supporting the Nationals, no matter where I was throwing the first pitch. The guys is a real White Sox fan. Let him support his team.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 5, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

90 cheers is a LIE!!
How much more will America Take...
The media propaganda...
Liberals are not concerned with those who see the truth... if they think their lies are loud enough to drown them out...

Posted by: thomaspayne | April 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Re: CSisajoke--you are a joke--GET A LIFE--you right wing freaks can't help your selves even during a non-political event. Why don't you shut up and crawl into your hole!!!

Posted by: vergens2 | April 5, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The Sox cap is just a symptom of the underlying problem... Obama doesn't consider himself to be the President of all of the United States.... just the ones he wants to give all of the money to.

Posted by: thomaspayne | April 5, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

ARRRRRRRRRGH! Libbies, spin, evil, LIE! BURP!

Meanwhile, there's a game on. Can't anyone let their hate go for one freaking day? Hell, even for one freaking ballgame?

Posted by: js_edit | April 5, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Whole lotta booing going on there - why lie about it when video is all over the internet?

Posted by: haiyaku | April 5, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Thomaspayne and all you other right wing goofballs: This is a baseball blog so keep all your non-baseball opinions to yourselves nobody cares what you think and futhermore after eight years of you know who this sitting POTUS is a welcome change.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 5, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

There were 90 per cent cheers because these were all the people that don't work and don't have jobs so they could go to an afternoon game while their health care is being paid for by the rest of us.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

vergen 2-
Typical liberal argument
99% emotion and name calling just deal with the facts

Posted by: thomaspayne | April 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

When Lannan walked Utley i said to myself this the beginning of the end and sure enough he hangs one to Howard and BOOM!!,other than Morgan and Zimmerman we got nothing although Pudge can still swing the bat,but it's going to be a long season.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And he still throws like a nerd....!

Posted by: supernavyman007 | April 5, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Horror story:

I got to the stadium today at 10:50 a.m. and got caught up in a terrible traffic jam around the park itself.

Finally got to one parking lot -- sorry, we're only taking permit owners now, the attendant said; got to a second lot; sorry, only taking permit owners now; got to a third; sorry, no space left, the attendant said.

It was now 12:30 p.m. and I finally had to give up and go home; the last lot I could think of was the one under the 395 overpass. And that wouldn't have worked because I was with my brother who has a serious breathing issue and the walk would have been too much. (The lot is well over a mile away.)

I'm not blaming the Nats -- although the RFK stadium shuttle would have been a helpful touch for opening day -- but it makes me wonder if the team and area is ready if we ever get big crowds consistently.

It was truly a terrible experience.

Posted by: swanni | April 5, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag...Baseball Blog Oh I get it....
Nat's suck and so does that little Dictator wannabe for injecting himself:
interview in front of the College National Championship football game
right before the Superbowl
during halftime of the final 4
opening day of baseball
I can't enjoy my sports without seeing some state run media presentation telling me how great he is.... so suck on it...I'll post on your sports blog

Posted by: thomaspayne | April 5, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I thought this was the Sports page.

(fwiw) I did like the comment about the "Internationals" though - if we changed our name that would solve the problem of what song to play for the 7th inning stretch. I always liked the Frank Sinatra version myself.

Posted by: lowcountry | April 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Desmond is on-pace for 162 errors!

Morgan is on-pace for 162 steals!

Zimmerman is on-pace for 162 RBI!

Nats are on-pace for 162 losses!

Gotta love Opening Day :)

Posted by: js_edit | April 5, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Just got home; Phils 11-1; maybe God did me a favor. :)

Posted by: swanni | April 5, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Can't they just roll out a BP pitching machine and let him press the "pitch button" in a manly way...because watching him throw a ball is PAINFUL for a guy to watch....

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | April 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with the SOX cap -- he's a fan.

Game going about as I expected, but hoped it would not.

Posted by: KenNat | April 5, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

New guessing game:

How many innings will Nats' starters complete, on average, up to the All-Star break?

My guess is 3 1/2, if Lannan's outing is any indication.

One hopeful sign: Riggleman looked disgusted, particularly when Lannan cut off Zimmerman to make an errant scoop to Pudge on a slow grounder. This is an improvement over the stoic Acta last year.

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 5, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Thomaspayne i'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about this i'm sure as biased as you are you've heard of the remote just change the channel!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 5, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

thomaspayne

This word Dictator. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So I guess Spring Training really IS an indication of the regular season, at least for the Nats.

'The Plan' is gonna get major scrutiny after the start it looks like the Nats will have again.

Posted by: SavedByZero | April 5, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

EMBARRASSING..................NUFF SAID!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, so many crazy people, so little time. Anyway, does Obama have to be good at every sport? It's not enough for him to hang out swishing threes on the court, now he has to humm in there a perfect strike? I'm pretty sure that pitch would have put him in the conversation for the 5th starter a week ago. What a bunch of jackals.

Posted by: gtrain82 | April 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Nat's suck and so does that little Dictator wannabe for injecting himself:

Let me see if I can summarize:

"WWWAAAAAAHHH! We lost the election! Stupid health care! Stupid economic recovery! Death Panel! Kenya!! WAAAHH! CommieNaziSocialistPoopyheadDictator!! Unfair!! WAAAHHH I wanna tax cut!!" If you loved Bush and the way he wrecked the country, do something useful: enlist. At least the Opening Day debacle is over. Let's get back to baseball.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | April 5, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Obama's J is more overrated than his wife. The wonders of video editing combined with Kellogg intentionally missing shots seem to have won you over.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 5, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

RETIRE FRANK ROBBY'S #20!

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on retiring Robby's number.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | April 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

What this game proves: Nothing.

What we know, absolutely, and what we knew before the season started: The Phillies are better than the Nats.

What we don't know yet: How close are the Nats to respectability? I'm still on the optimist side of that one. There's a lot of baseball left to play.

Posted by: js_edit | April 5, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Look at all the grow-ups commenting on this article. Stooge, Dictator, nerd. Good ones. Glad you could come up from your Momma's basement to watch the game Obi-ones. hahahhahahahahahahaha!!!

Posted by: billm32 | April 5, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

same ol, same ol....

Posted by: bromisky | April 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Does everything have to be negative? I don't understand this. It's a beautiful day. It's baseball season. Things are looking up. Can't we just leave well enough alone and stop bashing everything? He wasn't elected to throw pitches. It's supposed to be fun. Everybody should lighten up. About the hat too.

Posted by: gtrain82 | April 5, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

More of the same...both in bad Nats baseball and the whining from the right-wing punks.

Posted by: VPaterno | April 5, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess I could say realistically I would expect Halladay to beat Lannan 9 our of 10 times... but, 9 walks allowed... 9 walks allowed! 9 WALKS ALLOWED!... that is here it starts to get embarrassing...

Game 2 Wednesday night feels too far away right now...

Posted by: Ghost7 | April 5, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Positives... The weather, security system was on point if you did the right thing and got there early, having a team, getting to go watch baseball with my father and closest friend.

Negatives... Listening to ANYONE'S opinion on politics during a baseball game, 30,000 Philly baboons, everything else.

Spend some god*mn money Lerners. Cheap f*cks.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 5, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

The Sox cap thing did kind of tick me off, I think it showed a lack of class for the home team.

As for the brutal result of the game, I'm not surprised and quite frankly, I see this team in deep trouble and picking 1st again next year in the draft.

I agree with Kev29 the Lerners need to spend some flippin' money.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 5, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I just wish there was a sign that it's not going to be more of the same as it's been the last three or four years. I guess that'll come when Strasburg and Storen arrive, but it sure would be nice to go out and get a major-league quality right fielder. Today was downright discouraging. Haven't we suffered through the same lousy show for long enough?

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | April 5, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

As much as I dislike all the Red Sox fans around here, I don't mind it when they support us as their NL club. I look at the President the same way. At least he turned up in his nice customized Nats jacket. I hope he thinks of us as his NL team.

Whatever, I'll take 4 more MLB calibre pitchers over a hat wearing POTUS.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 5, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I loved the White Sox cap. It was obviously done in good humor, as an expression of loyalty to his team, and it shows he is both a fan and has a sense of humor.

I didn't take it as a slap to the Nats at all. Get a life, people.

Posted by: Meridian1 | April 5, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. Everything was perfect except the result. It was baseball on warm day with cold beer. Too early to give up hope, although some of us started chanting "we want Strasburg" by the sixth inning. I felt as uncomfortable with boos for Obama as I did the boos for Bush when he appeared in a short video about presidential first pitches. I believe in the separation of sports and politics.

Posted by: dcdingo | April 5, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang...wow:a HUGE Phillies presence. I'm gonna say minimum 70%....really! Every count I did had 'em at better than 90% but I'm giving us some credit...sorta like Selig with the Slow Lerners. I mean....look, it's only 1 game.And I love John Lannan...but he's our #1? Up against Halliday? And there was Danny and the 4Skins, down for a mandatory 8 count - and what did the Slows do? Let him off the canvas....and now all I hear on the radio is "McNabb, McNabb"...Arrgh!
Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry won't thank that guy for giving the gang free hockey tickets, and Kramer, goin' nuts, assails him with "you foolish, foolish man..."(thereby jeopardizing their chances for more free tix)- or something like that?(Silly or Stupid...)
TED....MARK...SLOW LERNERS......Arrgh!!!!
O.K, O.K., now...Calm down-sigh-think of what's down on the farm.
HEY!!!-Who's gonna go number #1 in the draft in 2011?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | April 5, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I have been looking forward to opening, and got there plenty early. Got my half smoke all the way with a beer and settled in. It was a lovely day until the 4th inning. Then I got the opportunity to watch 3 different Nats pitchers melt down. What an embarrassment.

As I was leaving I also got the opportunity to listen to many drunken Phillies fans, one of whom loudly thanked us for coming to his team's home opener. The sad thing is that the point was valid since there seemed to be as many of them as there were Nats fans, perhaps more. This is what persistent cheapness has brought us. I hope you are happy today, Stan and Uncle Teddy. Teddy made money and Stan got his invited fans to come down and take over.

I am an unhappy ST holder, I am. Even Jesus can't save this team. I just hope that the post-May season is watchable, because I don't think the next 2 months will be.

The 90/10 cheer/boo ratio sounded about right to me.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 5, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Kilgore,
I was at the game. 90% cheers is a bald-faced lie. Either you are incompetent or incredibly biased; I suspect the latter.

Posted by: JAT5 | April 5, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

99% emotion and name calling just deal with the facts

Posted by: thomaspayne | April 5, 2010 3:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

Typical conservative argument: Devoid of facts, intelligence and punctuation.

It was crazy out there. I didn't realize just how many Philly fans until Howard homered. There were Nats fans in front of me, in the lower rows in the infield, but it seemed everyone else was standing and cheering.

I still think the Nats could be a really good team in 4 years. I'm just wondering if anyone besides Zimmerman will still be from today's roster. I still have hopes for Desmond, but he was hopelessly overmatched. Morgan might still be useful, but he won't be very youthful. The rest of this squad? If the Nats want to win a championship, they all need to be replaced. Rodriguez was great, still - but he'll be retired before the Nats are ready to contend.

Do the Lerners need to spend money? Not really. They've got his nice stadium and a sweet rental deal. They're making money. On the other hand, if they're expecting me to buy tickets from them for more than 2 or 3 games a year -- to see this bunch -- they're bat-sh*t crazy!! They don't need to spend more money...unless they care about filling the stands with Nats fans.

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

As for Obama and the cheers -- you have to realize one salient fact: The crowd at most MLB games, but especially for an event like this, is overwhelmingly white. At least 90%. Not even remotely representative of the American public. Whatever the number of cheers vs. boos, there were more cheers and fewer boos than when Bush came.

So there!

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I can only imagine the reaction by some on the left side of this blog had GW Bush pulled out a Texas Ranger cap on the mound when he threw out the first pitch.

I'll get over Obama's little attempt at humor probably the minute I finish typing this. As for his attempt at running Our Country...no comment.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 5, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

90% cheers? That's not what I heard. It's comical that the author of article felt the need to cover up the actual response. Also, I felt it was disrespectful to wear the White Sox hat when he was a guest of the Nationals. Next year let's not invite him and save ourselves all the political B.S. Let him throw out the first pitch at a White Sox game instead!

Posted by: Amused8 | April 5, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Next year let's not invite him and save ourselves all the political B.S.

Posted by: Amused8 | April 5, 2010 7:22 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------

You mean save us from comments like yours? I propose a better way to save us from all that political B.S. Just walk way. No one's forcing you to drag this debate out...

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm Lefty McLefterson, basically, and I did clap for President Bush on Opening Day in Nationals Park and would have booed his Rangers hat like I booed Obama's White Sox hat.

The first is clapping because the president came to our ballpark as our guest and did us the honor of making sure we were on the news besides for the latest drubbing. The second is because it's sports and we're allowed to be unreasonably passionate about organizations that only care about us as long as we spend money.

Look, politics is about distributing power in real life, according to the degree I paid too much to receive, but sports is about a game. We need sports to get a break from the too serious struggle over things we all consider life-or-death.

That's why so many of us ask, politely, respectfully, and with a deep pride that other citizens have such passion to participate and try to make our country better, to please take all political talk over to one of the fine political blogs run by the Post.

Posted by: Section506 | April 5, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

So there!

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:07 PM
____________________________________________________________

fischy,

I don't understand what the "90% white" point has to do with the discussion here.

Please explain further.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 5, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

ahhh, geez. Please don't.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 5, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"90% cheers" Ya gotta love the Compost. Unreliable to the bitter end..

Posted by: wewintheylose | April 5, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@Section505203 -- Just pointing out that the crowd is more like what you'd see at a tea party gathering than anything that represents a real slice of America. At least, if we can judge by appearance. Obviously, that's a generalization which begs to be challenged, except the poll numbers are pretty clear on this: Obama is far more popular with so-called minority" populations than he is with white people. No all white people -- but, as a rule, if you're talking to only white people, you're going to get a more negative reaction to Obama than you will if you ask real cross-section of this country. That's not even arguable. Ever poll ever taken confirms this. Also, so do part registration numbers. Baseball fans are way more Republican than the rest of the country.

On other subjects -- Man, was it hot there, in the sun. Hottest home opener ever. It will be even hotter on Wednesday. Clearly, global warming is accelerating....

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Man -- I hate this laptop keyboard. Ya gotta pound the keys hard to get the letters to show up. Here's how that should have read:

@Section505203 -- Just pointing out that the crowd is more like what you'd see at a tea party gathering than anything that represents a real slice of America. At least, if we can judge by appearance. Obviously, that's a generalization which begs to be challenged, except the poll numbers are pretty clear on this: Obama is far more popular with so-called minority" populations than he is with white people. Not all white people -- but, as a rule, if you're talking to only white people, you're going to get a more negative reaction to Obama than you will if you ask a real cross-section of this country. That's not even arguable. Every poll ever taken confirms this. Also, so do party registration numbers. Baseball fans -- being mostly white -- are way more Republican than the rest of the country.

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The actual crowd beakdown today was about 20% White, 5% Other and 75% Philadelphian Baboon. There, that settles it :-)

Seriously, I couldn't even see the first pitch past the rows of Philadelphia back hair in front of me.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 5, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

You know what, I going to take Sec 3's advice (which made me LOL, by the way) and not purse this discussion any further. It is a baseball blog afterall so, let's move on.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 5, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Kev29, I am offended that you would so insensitively compare the Phillies fans to baboons. Baboons are one of the more intelligent species of ape, not to mention social creatures, whose devotion to one another is heart warming and inspiring. Please refrain from your shocking slander of baboons and other apes or I will consider reporting you.

Posted by: Section506 | April 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Baseball IS America's pastime. A baseball crowd is representative of America.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 5, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@ KILGORE

Where is the gammer man!!! We are dying for it here...opening day was sold out and I was stuck at f'ng work- watching us get blown up on ESPN gamecast, because the bastards at MLB were forcing me to pay 20 bucks to listen to the game. I am bringing in the Radio!

@ Everyone else...Yankees lost their opener last year to the Orioles 5-10...which means we are winning the World Series. F YA! GO NATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cartaldo | April 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I must admit that even though Obama is a far better President, Bush threw a better first pitch.

Posted by: TBCTBC | April 5, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Stan & Co. know or care how deeply they disrespect their hometown fans by overselling the park with Phillies fans?

And then putting announcements on the PA and scoreboard about where said drunken Phillies fans are supposed to meet the bus after the game?

That was truly a low moment. The baseball was bad enough; we didn't need it rubbed in our faces like that.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | April 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Opening Day is like Thanksgiving, in a way - It makes me thankful that the POTUS only throws out a pitch on opening day, and that all the politicos only visit the sports blogs once a year.
Hurray Baseball!

Posted by: BinM | April 5, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

506, you're absolutely right. My apologies. Baboons are lovable creatures. And having been to both Philadelphia and the National Zoo many times, I can tell you that the Primate House smells much better than the City of Brothery Love.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

To all the politicos, please do your dribble waxing on some other part of the WAPO, lord knows they provide plenty of space for that! Frankly I don't give a hoot what you think about POTUS, you have your rights just go do it someplace else.

Now back to the more important stuff:

I got down to 8th and I around 1100 and much to my chagrin was dumbfounded by the total numbers of Filthy Fans boozing it up and acting like belligerent jerks. We counted 32 buses in the WW Lot. When I got down to my seats in 138 a lady grabed my sons hand and said how glad she was to see some Nats fans. She said, "look around we are surrounded". All of the outfield sections had at least 70% Filthy fans it was disgusting. The LernerStanks should be ashamed of themselves, the DC sports fans should be ashamed. The LernerStanK under the direction of BudCo have run a fraud for the past 4 years and it showed today big time. I for one have had enough of this and I'm not afraid to let Stank hear about it. They have failed to cultivate a baseball culture and eventually the seas of empty blue seats will bare that out come games against lesser followed teams. Besides the total media infatuation with anything McNabb, feeling threatened in your home ball park and the total lack of baseball knowledge by the local Sports Media, its just been a bad 24 hours. Looking down the road a bit I guess we will catch a break during the next homestand, the Phillies and thier hordes of drunken fans won't be here.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | April 5, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Thank you 505, my esteemed colleague from the other side of the aisle.

And Fishy--why do you think I sit where I do?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 5, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Now that's what I call glass-half-full thinking, Cartaldo. Yeah, baby! ;-)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The decision to fill Nats Park with somebody else's fans was lazy, cheap, and short-sighted. Only the Nats' ownership could find a way to make Opening Day a bad experience for Nats fans **before the first pitch is even thrown.**

Posted by: SuzNats | April 5, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

As stated in the past, I agree with the idea that such discussions would better fit the theme of a political forum. That said, they are bound to break out (and do) whenever a presidential first pitch is thrown, no matter which "team" the pitcher represents. (I do not pledge allegiance to either "team" myself. Not that it matters. I do tend to subscribe to the theory that one knows that any politician is lying when one sees his or her lips moving. But I digress.) As BinM notes, at least the presidential pitch only happens once a year (if that). Butt-kickings by baseball opponents, I fear, will be much more frequent than that.

On a somewhat related note, was anyone else concerned re. the ombudsman's piece in the Sunday paper regarding a new moderation system that the Post is developing? It's certainly true that moderation (or lack thereof) has been an issue. But speaking for myself I'd rather see a commenter-activated "ignore" option than a moderator-assigned "trusted commenter" status. That strikes me as rather subjective to me.

I also don't agree with the idea of anonymous commenters not being "trusted." It's not just a matter of jobs or personal circumstances precluding commenters' identifying themselves, as is stated in the piece. It's also a matter of personal safety, IMO, given that one never knows who is out there in cyberspace. Just my two cents' worth.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

And that strikes me as rather redundant. That's what happens when you edit your own post online. When you really should be in bed asleep...

---

That strikes me as rather subjective to me.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 5, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | April 5, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

"So how many years of heartache have we lived through with the Caps? Do you know?"

Not having seen any hardware despite the regular season dominance, I'd say we're still living through them.

Posted by: Section506 | April 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I do not support Obama, I think he is as disaterous for the country as many felt Bush was. However, he is the president of the United States of America and on opening day he should be applauded when he throws out the first pitch because of his office, not necessarily his politics. I heard loads of boos - MUCH more than 10%. It is classless and puts us on par with the animals from the Schuylkill river basin. Politics should be put aside for opening day IMHO. When Nixon threw the first pitch for the old Nats on opening day, he was cheered. When he visited on other days during the season, he was booed. Fair enough. But it really makes me wonder why a president in this day and age would even want to put himself through the mangle like that?

Posted by: Natstoyou | April 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

It's peculiar that someone who purports to be such a big proponent of hockey would choose the UserID, FUTBOLCLIF. Why not HOCKEYCLIF? Also, while the Caps have the best RECORD in hockey, the jury's still out on whether they're the best TEAM in hockey...

Posted by: nivnos33 | April 6, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, I gave Obama an ovation although I'm a Republican because he deserves our respect, as does the office.

But 90 percent cheers? Uh, no. Try like 70 at best. But you'll fit in very well at the Washington Post, where even the sports writers (see Mike Wise, Michael Wilbon) can't help showing their political bias.

Posted by: CJArlington | April 6, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

At 1040 we were within 100 yards of the stadium and psyched for a beautiful day. Then all hell broke loose. We spent the next hour crawling up the road to Lot B and finally got parked. Next we picked up our tickets at will call and got to the back of the line and started waiting.Finally 2 Secret Service Agents came over separated the line and directed about 100 of us to go to Home Plate Plaza for entry where there was no line. About 75 yards into this walk more Secret Service agents came running from in front of us telling our group that they had closed Home Plate Plaza and we needed to go back to our last line. So back we went to our old line to get behind the 200 or so people who had got there while we were taking our walk. Finally a few minutes before 1pm we got into the stadium and to our seats. Later I got a chance to debate with the idiot woman handing out wristbands to the Diamond Club why I should be allowed back in after I walked 5 feet past her to give my relative a credit card so they could buy something at a concession stand. Seems my ticket was in my coat pocket and though she both knows me and was totally aware of the situation she choose to act like an idiot proclaiming to all who were in ear shot that even a child knows to carry their ticket. Thanks for a wonderful day Obama you throw like a girl and displayed your total lack of class with your hat choice.

Posted by: wellscats | April 6, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Kev29 and Section506, enjoy your losing baseball team for many more years to come... Well, until they move the team away again for like the, what, third time? Thanks for leaving room for us baboons to enjoy our team clobbering yours. Ooh ooh ahh ahh!!

Posted by: idiocy | April 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Obama is an all-around embarrassment. That pitch was too painful to watch.

Posted by: drumcrn1 | April 6, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't kid yourself he was booed and he is the kiss of death when it comes to sports picking just like his political decisions.

Posted by: zcxnissan | April 7, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse